Sign in to follow this  
Shelter

The Extended Jam Extravaganza Thread

31 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Sadly that opportunity wasn't available to a lot of people, such as myself. Live recordings are the next best thing. 

Sorry you never had the chance to see them live. Yes, the internet has been a bastion of live recordings and I'm grateful to the people who share them be it video, audio and both.

On May 30, 2018 at 8:06 AM, Shelter said:

The Other Side of The Mountain (Just one tour, of course, but there were a few really cool versions of this somewhat unexpected masterpiece!)

This is very enjoyable. Not only is the original song a fun composition, but the live versions rock! Crystal River offers one type of jam, this one another, a welcome shot of adrenaline to their set!

* Melinda (most versions are splendid!)

It's Benmont. One could stop right there. The man is a wizard at the keys. Just fantastic, definitely a highlight of any show. Too bad it wasn't pulled out one more time in '17 but I guess it's good they played it as much as they had. The man knows when to focus on melody and when to bang some chords for dramatic effect. One of my favorite of the live-only songs they played. I think if Benmont had more sway there would've been more things like this and deep cuts performed over the years.

Don't Come Around Here No More. (Say no more.)

It's the theatrics that gave DCAHNM the longest performances during the outro. I didn't really need Tom being chased around by ex-presidents in masks but the music was pretty good. That type of ending musically is what I always hoped for in this song but the band just didn't stretch it out much. Usually the middle part became extended which was good and moody, but the ending was usually cut short much too soon. 

As for the intros, I'm quite fond of the heavy guitar work from the Strange Behavior Tour, the mandolin, echo f/x and drums from the ITGWO tour and one of the best in my opinion, the keys and drums from the Echo tour.

I just realized, this is like going down to the sub-atomic level of music discussion; perhaps too far, I don't know. Does anyone else on here care about such things?

cheers

Yeah I do, I love this topic even though I have yet to contribute to it.  I love minutiae in general.

I was thinking of what version of "Don't" I really love and it's definitely later tours - I thought '99 was pretty cool.  But I think '91 is my favorite although I suppose it was seen as rather indulgent.  But that whole freakin' song is indulgent, lol, in the very best of ways.

Not a jam so much but I was watching that TPATH Rock Israel documentary and in the extended outro they did for "Refugee" Mike is practically shredding, and I laughed from shock.  It was pretty cool, actually, he must have been feeling rambunctious that night, lol.  I don't know that I've listened to that many '87 shows, although I imagine it's been discussed about the unicorn-like appearances of "Runaway Trains."

3 hours ago, chimera said:

There are a few snippets of it in RDAD

Thanks for sharing this; never saw it before, didn't even know it existed. I liked Stan talking about the Pyramids. Nice playing by Mike in Refugee before the usual instrumental part leading to the conclusion. Kind of sad about the boy and Howie, I figure it was a way to make money from tourists which just, well...it's sad that's how they need to make money.

I actually thought they were going to start playing some TPATH at around 26 minutes..! 

"...pick up an instrument and jump around..." what a good quote.

That earring looked awful on Tom. Not good. I usually don't care what these people wear or wore but that really stood out.

Nice version of Breakdown. Good to watch live footage from the Let Me Up tour. That's gotta be an amazing experience, successful rock band playing in a country far from the U.S. let alone with a lot of historical and religious significance for different people.

I wonder what Stan would've made of around 36 minutes. Maybe he went there as well.

Thanks again for posting this, who knows what other mini-documentaries like this exist out there?

cheers

Stan was so Stan.  This is why I love him, warts and all.  He gives great quote.  Seriously, the only times I laughed out loud while reading Petty was at some comment of Stan's.  Which is not to say other parts weren't funny, of course.

TPATH is an incredibly well-documented band, all things considered.  But there are two things I'd really love to see.  I'm not saying we ever would, but I have that fangirl desire for them anyway.

-1- A supercut of the Hard Promises sessions, since we know it was videotaped likely the entire time, and Tom had the tapes in his possession.  Iovine may have even filmed the sessions for Long After Dark but it doesn't seem so just because I can't recall seeing anything like that.  We've seen parts of the former, and perhaps not all sections are even transferrable at this point,  But Stevie Nicks did include some of the footage from the making of Bella Donna in her Crystal Visions release, so I'm assuming that the same thing could possibly be done if someone in the organization were willing to perform the archival work.

-2- Full Speed Ahead.  Now, it may have been filmed in Super 8 with no audio so its' appeal is limited to us die-hard collectors/completists, and it would be up to Ron to okay it and maybe it was only ever meant to be solely for the band's entertainment - but we've seen too much of it not to have that desire.  I imagine I'm not the only one who would kill to see the whole thing.

I would say that among my personal favorite TPATH jam moments out of these more frequent ones, the best examples of when they really reach that higher level of one conciousness: 

Looking at your list I realized the band jammed a lot more during the ITGWO tour and especially beginning with Wildflowers. While they extended songs with Stan it seems like they would play more songs, sometimes stretching out the ending of Even the Losers a bit, or doing the long version of Breakdown, Shout etc. but not really having these long jams, like IGTBK or Saving Grace. It's possible it was to give Tom's voice a break but I like to think it was because the band had gotten a bit looser within the rigid parameters of the set list.

What does anyone else think?

16 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

These both sound pretty good! Never heard of the latter either.

cheers

You seen parts of it for sure - all those "wacky hijinks on the road" bits that are in just about every documentary (well, except the ones Martyn Atkins filmed).  And they have no sound.  The most well-known clip which I think is in most of them is where you see a door open and there is Tom, Mike, Ben, Stan, Ron and Jim singing and they're all grinning at the camera.  All that stuff is from Full Speed Ahead, it's a Super 8 film which Ron and Steve Wilson (who I believe was either on the crew or a long-time friend) made for fun during the '79-80 touring cycles.

39 minutes ago, chimera said:

You seen parts of it for sure - all those "wacky hijinks on the road" bits that are in just about every documentary (well, except the ones Martyn Atkins filmed).  And they have no sound.  The most well-known clip which I think is in most of them is where you see a door open and there is Tom, Mike, Ben, Stan, Ron and Jim singing and they're all grinning at the camera.  All that stuff is from Full Speed Ahead, it's a Super 8 film which Ron and Steve Wilson (who I believe was either on the crew or a long-time friend) made for fun during the '79-80 touring cycles.

I've seen the video collection with the golf stuff and Tom looking bleary and singin about being dumb or something on a tour bus but I think a lot of what you mention I haven't seen or don't recall. 

Hard Promises sessions, or even a detailed edited take covering the songs recorded that made the album and didn't would be  interesting to see.

Two Men Talking

I think this is their modern take on the energy/vibe of Dog on the Run. I actually like this song better and I'm glad they pulled it out when they did, especially when they let Ron solo. Something about the simple riff/chord progression and the improv over top really appeals to me. The lyrics feel like they could've been something from a blues record but as with their best work, when filtered through their unique talents it becomes something different from any presumed influence. 

1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I've seen the video collection with the golf stuff and Tom looking bleary and singin about being dumb or something on a tour bus but I think a lot of what you mention I haven't seen or don't recall. 

There are bits in Runnin' Down A Dream and Heartbreakers Beach Party, so if you've watched those two, you've seen what I'm talking about.  I was wrong about there being no sound, though.  I think because there's been voiceover narration/music over those excerpts it made me think there was no audio but I just watched the part in HBP where that shot I referenced is shown (around the 14:10 mark) and you can hear them singing, you just can't quite make out what it is.

"I'm Stupid" was specific to Heartbreakers Beach Party, where it seemed like a film crew followed them around for a couple months, at least.   HBP was the first actual documentary about TPATH as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, chimera said:

"I'm Stupid" was specific to Heartbreakers Beach Party, where it seemed like a film crew followed them around for a couple months, at least.   HBP was the first actual documentary about TPATH as far as I can tell.

I think I watched HBP, some of this becomes a blur after a while unless it's something completely new like the one above. 

cheers

Rock Israel...!

That was awesome! Thank you so much for posting that! (Perhaps post it in the Documentary Thread too?) I have not seen that one in ages.. like 25+ years... so that was quite a trip down memory lane, I did not know it was still floating around. Haven't even thought about looking for it.. it just completely skipped my mind. So, thank you kindly!

Goosebump moment nr 1: "You're gonna look for me in the middle of the night" (34:20 ish). Damn I miss Howie sometimes. Wish more of his stuff would be coming in loud and clear in the mix like that! Magic!

🐫🐫🐫🐫🐫

Benmont's Boogie/Deathray Boogie---These were always fun  when they appeared on the Strange Behavior tour and especially the ITGWO one. Take The Highway had quite a good version of it. We got another go at it from the '93 homecoming show.

Mike's Surf Jam---played on the 95 & 99 tours with some variations at the Fillmore in 97.

Both of these are very fun. Mike threw in some Nirvana and TPATH's Breakdown during at least one of these jams. Either a break for Tom's voice and/or a chance to let them have their improvisational fun as a counterbalance to the largely staid set list, either way, this was a lot of fun to listen to and from the video clips, a lot of fun for them to play.

18 hours ago, Shelter said:

Rock Israel...!

That was awesome! Thank you so much for posting that! (Perhaps post it in the Documentary Thread too?) I have not seen that one in ages.. like 25+ years... so that was quite a trip down memory lane, I did not know it was still floating around. Haven't even thought about looking for it.. it just completely skipped my mind. So, thank you kindly!

For me in those days I didn't have regular access to MTV (I lived in the dorms at my college) so there was quite a bit of stuff I missed the first time around.  I did know about the Music Passport series but I think I only saw a couple episodes.  Like, The Police had an episode, I think?  I have seen bits and pieces but it was great to finally watch the whole thing.

On 6/3/2018 at 1:44 PM, chimera said:

There are a few snippets of it in RDAD and it contains Stan's most notorious credit: "Camel Cam."

I liked that. Reminds me a bit of this interview

I remember another extended version of a song. During the 1983 tour, "Hang On Sloopy" was played a lot. Not sure if any soundboards exist of it but there's some good-quality audience recording.

Every single time it was played, there was a part where Tom tells everyone under eighteen to leave the room because the next verse is one of the most sexually explicit verses in rock 'n' roll. The verse in question was the "Sloopy let your hair hang down" bit. I...think I might be missing something here.