Cameron J. McMenemy

Are there any Tom Petty songs that remind you of situations you've been in?

Let me rephrase the question:

Are there any situations that don't remind me of a Tom Petty song? ;)

No, thanks for that question, it's wonderful reminiscing.

Into The Great Wide Open: Sitting in my parent's living room, waiting for this magical song to come on MTV, early 90s; that's how I got to know Tom's music

Learning to Fly: Listening to the Greatest Hits on some New Year's Eve in the early 90s at a friend's house

Mary Janes's Last Dance: Some school event in winter in a youth hostel in the middle of nowhere, late 90s

American Girl: Hanging out with our American exchange student, playing poker, eating nachos, 1997

To Find a Friend: Playing guitar for friends outdoors in a valley near our village, early summer, maybe 1998

Room At The Top: Hearing it for the first time before a band rehearsal and thinking: Boy, he must be in a very bad place right now, 1999

Runnin' Down a Dream: Driving with my girlfriend at the time and her parents through Florida, we were on Kings Highway, and RDAD came on the radio... I remember thinking: Would have been even more fun if they had played Kings Highway...

The Last DJ: Driving home from Munich with my ex-girlfriend at the time (emotionally confused), this one came on the radio - heard it for the first time then, 2002

Damaged By Love: Driving to a small concert I played in Franconian Switzerland where I was to meet my future wife, 2006

Angel Dream: Performing it in church at the wedding of a good friend of mine, 2008

I Should Have Known It: Listening to it while jogging in the town I lived in back then, 2009

Wildflowers: Performing it with my cousin at my youngest son's baptism, late 2010 and again at the baptism of my wife's goddaughter, 2017

That could probably go on for a bit.

To be honest... not really. 
Maybe Wildflowers, To Find a Friend, and Time to Move On... but that's grasping at straws. 
I might think of one, but there's nothing that stands out. 

Edit: I think I interpreted this question differently than TwoGunslingers. 
There are songs that remind me of a time back when I listened to that song a lot... like Hypnotic Eye reminds me of the most recent road trip I was on in 2015. 
But I interpreted the question as... Are there songs (lyrically) which describe my life and situations I've been in? The answer is "not really." 

10 hours ago, Liberty said:

To be honest... not really. 
Maybe Wildflowers, To Find a Friend, and Time to Move On... but that's grasping at straws. 
I might think of one, but there's nothing that stands out. 

Edit: I think I interpreted this question differently than TwoGunslingers. 
There are songs that remind me of a time back when I listened to that song a lot... like Hypnotic Eye reminds me of the most recent road trip I was on in 2015. 
But I interpreted the question as... Are there songs (lyrically) which describe my life and situations I've been in? The answer is "not really." 

Yeah, now that you mention it... maybe what I wrote was not what CJMcM meant...

On May 22, 2018 at 10:54 AM, nobodyinparticular said:

"Free Fallin'" was playing on the radio in the waiting room just before I received my diagnosis. One of fate's cruel twists of irony that the most famous song from my favorite musician would end up permanently associated in my mind with my condition.

Sorry to read this, hope life is still good for you despite with whatever you deal with.

Most TPATH songs remind me of things in my life, but so do songs from The Beatles and other groups. It's just a bit of your life that happens at any given time that a song is written, recorded and released when you are in that situation. It's happened in the past, it's happening today, and it will happen in the future. Thank God that music will be here forever and make memories for all of us. Just think, what memories do you have without music? Not too many.

6 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Sorry to read this, hope life is still good for you despite with whatever you deal with.

Depends on your definition of good. For the most part, though, I'm--well, 'happy' would be overstating it a bit, and 'content' doesn't quite fit either. 'Satisfied' is the closest to what I can think of. There's probably a German word for what I mean. Always seems to be.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:19 AM, Shelter said:

There are quite a few. I almost lost a wheel not far from Santa Cruz once. Even if it got fixed before it all turned into a "trip", I suppose that counts. :D

At Rockaway Beach, that was.. but that's Ramones.. :D