Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

New TPATH??

I noticed a lot of new CD's and DVD's on Amazon this morn, some released April 2018. Some are also imports. I haven't had time to check them out, so I don't know if they are bootleg's or legit. Here is one.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tom+petty+san+francisco+serenades&sprefix=tom+petty+san%2Caps%2C198&crid=1AC7J8LNBGUZ6&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atom+petty+san+francisco+serenades

I'm gonna quote myself:

Quote//

More and more used to be boots are up for sale in regular stores/outlets. We'd been over this before, but no final answer as to why has been offered, as far as I know.

Perhaps, since it's all live stuff (radio broadcasts usually, these are quality recordings) once 'released' in a way, and thus copyright protected to some extent, copyrights that may not have been renewed and now gone into public domain, therefore becoming a good mine for lesser record labels out there.... ?? 

//

This started to happen in a big way, at least in Europe, some 3-4 years ago, I'd say. It's interesting, but for the collector fans these are only same old stuff in new, more fancy looking packages. And likely no money ends up with the original rights holder. Not sure how this loophole came to be, but I figured this is what happened. I find it a little sad that there soon will be as many 'unofficial' or 'public domain' records out there, as there are real records. 

I have Torpedoes in Texas and New York Shuffle. It's legal to sell the radio broadcasts if you own the rights to them. I bought those 2 at FYE as a curiosity last year because I already have the bootlegs of them. I find the "detailed" liner notes hilarious because a lot of it is incorrect information: like calling "Dog on the Run" an early version of "Dogs on the Run" lol,