Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

If you like the Echo album & tour go here

I certainly do like Echo.  

I saw a couple of shows on the Echo tour including one of the "pre tour" small venue, extended length shows at Irving Plaza.   It was all standing room on the ground level.  We managed to work our way up right in front of the stage. :D

21 hours ago, TPfan1000 said:

I certainly do like Echo.  

I saw a couple of shows on the Echo tour including one of the "pre tour" small venue, extended length shows at Irving Plaza.   It was all standing room on the ground level.  We managed to work our way up right in front of the stage. :D

What did you think of the show; it wasn't often they played a smaller place as well as some off-beat songs.

19 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

dang,  I was at the mansfield show. it was the first TP show I took my wife to.  Link is invalid for that show though... :( 

The file factory link here from this site may work for you. As always, be safe and precautious when downloading from the internet I make no promises.

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/tom-petty-1999-07-10-mansfield-ma-ald-flac-143429.html

http://www.filefactory.com/file/59xbhiy2hytr/n/ToPe.1999-07-10.Mansfield.FLAC.by.T.U.B.E.zip

19 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

What did you make of the concert? 

I've never been to a Petty Show I didn't enjoy and I'm rarely critical of his shows, I have many fond memories of seeing Tom live over the years - about 10 shows over the past 30 years and one Mudcructh show.  My only criticism would be I sort of wish the setlist was more like the Rockaplast show which I literally just finished listening to a few minutes ago.  I've always enjoyed when Tom did cover songs within the heartbreakers tunes which he tended to do less and less with setlists toward the end.  Its nice to hear the boys stretch out with the cover tunes, I always enjoy them doing Gloria and I cant wait to listen to the DL of this show where they did it as an encore.  One of my favorite versions of that is off the Fillmore shows where he does the little patter about talking to women on the street and doing sold out shows at the Fllmore. :D 

2 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I always enjoy them doing Gloria and I cant wait to listen to the DL of this show where they did it as an encore.  One of my favorite versions of that is off the Fillmore shows where he does the little patter about talking to women on the street and doing sold out shows at the Fllmore. :D 

I think you're really going to enjoy the Hamburg show; and good sound quality too!

cheers

On 4/20/2018 at 9:35 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

What did you think of the show; it wasn't often they played a smaller place as well as some off-beat songs.

What do you think ? It was fantastic ! :D   I'm a few feet from Tom.  He's playing for him a long set.  A small venue.  It was a privilege to have been there.  

I reread recently a NYT review of the show I was at and the reviewer said something about the middle of the show when they did covers was like the Heartbreakers as "bar band"  as if this was a negative.  I love them as a so-called "bar band." I always enjoyed when they did covers.  

"' But it lost its way with an unbroken half-hour stretch of cover songs: the Heartbreakers as bar band."

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/14/arts/pop-review-petty-still-polishing-verities-of-the-60-s.html

10 hours ago, TPfan1000 said:

What do you think ? It was fantastic ! :D   I'm a few feet from Tom.  He's playing for him a long set.  A small venue.  It was a privilege to have been there.  

I reread recently a NYT review of the show I was at and the reviewer said something about the middle of the show when they did covers was like the Heartbreakers as "bar band"  as if this was a negative.  I love them as a so-called "bar band." I always enjoyed when they did covers.  

Ha ha, nice! I enjoy bar bands, and I often like when a band I like, let along a huge one still manages to give off that bar band vibe. I'm not a fan of the covers though, would rather have heard some deep cuts instead. I will check out the link, thanks for sharing.

cheers

17 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Ha ha, nice! I enjoy bar bands, and I often like when a band I like, let along a huge one still manages to give off that bar band vibe. I'm not a fan of the covers though, would rather have heard some deep cuts instead. I will check out the link, thanks for sharing.

cheers

I love the covers !  Their catalog is huge so when they went for a cover they really wanted to play it and not because they felt they owed the audience Free Fallin. I remember what Mike said about the Beacon residency.  "We're free of Free Fallin"  :D

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-petty-guitarist-mike-campbell-were-free-from-free-fallin-20130530

To my ears T.P. did, for example,  Knockin on Heavens Door better than Dylan (I saw T.P. do it a few times including with Mudcrutch), For What It's Worth better than Buffalo Springfield (played at the Irving Plaza show) and Friend of The Devil better than the G.D. (which I saw him do at the 2013 Beacon Residency which was an epic run of shows with a lot of "deep tracks" or at least tracks not typically part of their stadium shows.). They opened each Beacon Show with the Byrds which, yeh, they do better than the Byrds. :P

They did Angel Dream at Irving Plaza which I guess is a deep track and a beautiful song.  Definitely take a listen to that concert.

^ Let's not forget "Willin", that they do better than Litte Feat, and better than anybody for that matter. Early on, they also did Cry To Me better than the Stones, I Gotta Move better than the Kinks and list goes on and on. Like many other things, this issue has been covered (pun) to some length, elsewhere around here, but its worth repeating: TPATH knowledge and passion for rock history, combined with their trade mark skill and touch, really made it a treat every time they dug up some of their favorites to play. I think they excelled at it! (Even if I personally got more than my share of snooze fest versions of Mystic Eyes and Gloria - none of which they did better than the original, for that matter).

But let's face it. The covers were never ( or next to never) played on the expense of their own hits. They were generally played in slots that otherwise would have meant some much welcome obscurity of their own. And as far as that goes, it is a bit of a shame that those two fantastic categories of songs had to face each other off so frequently - all TPATH's own none hits pulling the short straw on a regular basis - when just a little bit more rotating and just one or two core songs less each night, would have allowed both hits, covers AND rare originals their due share of the show, the way it would be most natural, the way rock'n'roll is all about. Elsewhere, I been discussing the aspect of how playing covers is really part of rock tradition. That it can't really be separated from performing original material, as far as real musicians (and songwriters, actually), rather than commercially oriented products go.

In short, from this perspective, though I love covers myself, I can see the frustration with how, each time a free slot showed up, Tom seemed to put a cover in there, instead of some original album track. It was never a question of not playing enough hits though, mind you..... That would not happen. Even on a rare occasion of a long and winding night of wonders, where covers and deep cuts got sprinkled all over, most of the covers still got squeezed in there, one way or other.

Shoot, maybe the band just enjoyed playing covers over their own deep cuts...seeing how they often got equal treatment, if not leaning more towards the covers. Even the amazing residency shows got a huge mix of both. 

And while on the topic of covers....

I don't think we can forget to mention JJ Cale, who the band just loved! Here's a quick list of songs that I know they've covered over the years, off the top of my head:

- 13 Days (a concert staple)

- I'd Like To Love You Baby

- Call me the Breeze

- An epic 10-minute version of Traveling Light!

I do believe that Tom had a special fondness for JJ Cale and the Zombies, when it comes to picking covers....

Tom did a cool cover of Rock and Roll Records on the Cale tribute album, "The Breeze". Make sure to give that a listen if you've never heard it.

6 hours ago, TPfan1000 said:

I love the covers !  Their catalog is huge so when they went for a cover they really wanted to play it and not because they felt they owed the audience Free Fallin.

I know, they do a good job with the covers; I just would've preferred them to play their deep cuts. The odds are someone else is going to cover Knockin' On Heavens Door but the cover took away a chance for them to play the non-single non-hit tracks. And while those sometimes get covered by people here and there (see the covers topic) wouldn't it have been neat to hear them play some of those songs again? Like Rhino Skin, It Ain't Nothin' To Me, Finding Out, Climb That Hill etc.

5 hours ago, Shelter said:

I can see the frustration with how, each time a free slot showed up, Tom seemed to put a cover in there, instead of some original album track. It was never a question of not playing enough hits though, mind you..... That would not happen. Even on a rare occasion of a long and winding night of wonders, where covers and deep cuts got sprinkled all over, most of the covers still got squeezed in there, one way or other.

In that at least, I'm glad the 40th tour was nearly cover free. How neat that they went ahead and put the focus on their own songs instead of covers; especially since in my opinion, their own material is vastly more interesting than the somewhat generic sounding 50s rock or bluesy type songs they'd thrown in.. It's moot now but looking back at their career I would've enjoyed hearing more songs like Nightwatchman  than the covers they enjoyed playing.

While I've found some rarer covers out there, like Nightwatchman or Makin' Some Noise, most likely bands will cover TPATH's big hits in the future and those deep cuts may continue to be unplayed in the live setting, where the opportunity for expansion and exploration of the song, as well as just playing it similar to the record is gone as well. I guess that's why Residencies were always so much fun to hear.

cheers

1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I would've enjoyed hearing more songs like Nightwatchman  than the covers they enjoyed playing.

So, there you go again... playing Tom's game of "cover or deep cut". Making the covers the culprits, the reason for so few none hit originals being played. I know that is likely how Tom reasoned too, that he had to chose, but again, I don' t think it's a fair game. I would've enjoyed hearing both Nightwatchman AND Sweet Child of Mine. Perhaps then instead missing out on a Yet So Bad here or a Don't Come Around Here No More or You Don' t Know How It Feels there. The real problem was that this perspective was never explored. The problem was not the covers so much as the impenetrable wall of hits. If you ask me. Or even if you don't. 

As for "generic sounding 50s", I think that is way off target. Sure they pulled out the likes of Bye Bye Johnny or Highschool Confidentials now and then, but the 50s style is really not the universal fix you seem to think. I think they did a good mix and picked their stuff from different enough hats, over the years. If anything, I sense a lot more 60s or even 70s informing their doings, a lot more beat, trip, garage or light psych in there than they usually get cred for. (And a lot more Cale, as mentioned. Some for better some for worse.) From that angle, they were never no mere bar band (cept for when they played bars, in the 70s). They were full blown, complex pros, making their picks.

But that's me.

@shelter, I couldn’t agree more.   Deep Tracks (which over the years seemed to grow into the bulk of their catalog with entire albums being consistently ignored) + Covers and you can give the hits a rest !  

Don’t read me wrong, I loved the 40th shows but as far as the setlist it was tracks like Crawling Back to You, Walls, Swingin’ and You Got Lucky that did it for me more than anything from FMF, You Don’t Know How it Feels, Refugee or A.G.

PA, And Mike killed it on I Should Have Known It. :D

On April 24, 2018 at 12:39 PM, Shelter said:

So, there you go again... playing Tom's game of "cover or deep cut". Making the covers the culprits, the reason for so few none hit originals being played.

Callin' it as  I see it. He could've played all hits for the whole show and no covers and made the crowd happy but it's more like he played the covers for himself and the band. They loved playing those songs (or so it seems). But what else could take those spots where the covers were except deep cuts?

Even if they played everything on Greatest Hits there would still be some open slots so it's not a short show. My guess is that Tom either didn't like some of their album songs, didn't think they measured up or wasn't willing to disappoint the crowd with the unfamiliar; figuring that either most of the crowd would recognize their covers or didn't care because they enjoyed playing them.

Whatever the reason, the covers supplanted the forgotten songs.

Sweet Child of Mine.

Ha ha, this and Head Like A Hole would've been entertaining.

As for "generic sounding 50s", I think that is way off target. Sure they pulled out the likes of Bye Bye Johnny or Highschool Confidentials now and then, but the 50s style is really not the universal fix you seem to think.

When I think of the 50s style I think of the songs you mentioned and throw in Carol too (why not?) but too be fair it was a largely dismissive blanket term directed a lot of the covers I've heard them play and at the risk of completely derailing this topic...

In my opinion TPATH played covers from an older style of music where the fundamentals of rock were being developed and explored and as such a  lot of these compositions aren't interesting to me but not because of perceived simplicity but just how one doesn't particularly care for a song despite recognizing it's well made.

I certainly never expected them to cover La Villa Strangiato by Rush (though now that I mention it, a TPATH version of that would've been neat) the songs they selected were never as interesting as their own unplayed tunes. Whatever they did to their own music, that strange combination of Tom's songwriting, Benmont's soft touch, Mike's tasteful lead, Stan's behind the beat and Ron's glue (later Howie) made their songs different, from their peers at the time and from what would come later. Hence I'd rather have heard Nightwatchman to Call Me The Breeze.

I think some of the best rock songs are based around simplicity, but for my taste, while I recognize the foundation of Chuck Berry I prefer the sound of the Ramones.

I see how this connects to Echo...these ramblings like an echo-chamber, ha ha! Cue percussion and cymbal. Well, this shan't stop me. If this hasn't put everyone to sleep yet I'll keep trying.

At the same time, there are covers I have enjoyed them play, either I'm in the mood for it, or am just looking for something different to hear from them in a live setting. Knockin, 13 Days, Boogie Chillin', Green Onions, You Are My Sunshine/Ain't No Sunshine...I like 'em. And the band does bring their own energy to them and I love when they jam on them. How about when John Lee Hooker calls Benmont Mr. 88 keys or something from the Fillmore? You probably know what I'm talkin' about...that's a fun moment. So covers can be fun.

I just realized over time that they played quite a bit of them, relative to what they would play from a new album. I'd rather have heard Let Me Up from that tour than For What It's Worth. I'd rather them have played TPATH songs I don't even like versus covers since it's their own material and someone out there would've been happy to hear Insider or Candy.

They weren't not going to play hits, even residencies have a few and even when they were Free of Free Fallin' they still threw in covers that could take the spot of a deep cut.

Another 50s type song was that Paul Revere & the Raiders song. Stepping stone? I guess it's fun and everything but what the heck? Wouldn't Makin' Some Noise play the same role in the set? Speaking of, Mikemono kindly shared an mp3 of the version from '05 in the other topic, check it out.

So, for me, most of the covers they played aren't that interesting to begin with and while they could jam through one or what not and make it interesting by virtue of their prowess as a live band, I'd rather have heard their own music.

And by that latter performance of Makin' Some Noise, there was quite a lot of energy they would've brought to those songs. Oh well, it's moot now It does really seem like a covers or deep cuts situation; did it have to be like that? No, but that's how it was.

cheers

On April 24, 2018 at 10:26 AM, RedfordCowboy said:

An epic 10-minute version of Traveling Light!

Thanks for sharing this, that was sweet; it pretty much did everything TPATH excelled (especially in later years)  in the live setting in one go; cool riff, heavy groove and phenomenal jamming. Reminds me of when they used to play Dog on the Run or the few times they did Two Men Talking, those long groove songs with extended soloing.

I think the band had this entire jam-band potential to them, a mix of garage rock, blues and long instrumental passages that they dipped into but never went too deep with. Would've been an interesting direction they could've gone in, eschewing the hits approach for doing whatever they felt like.

Would they have been able to do big tours with this approach? Who knows? Maybe not. Maybe they could've done a hits night at an arena and a bar band night in the same city though I figure they would not want to have pushed themselves like that and it sounds like a logistical nightmare. I guess that's what the residencies were for.

Again, very good cover, I quite liked it, thanks.