MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Best Live Version of Mary Jane's Last Dance

3 hours ago, High Grass Dog said:

Wow, nice find MJ2LD!

Yes, that IS a nice find! I didn't realize what it was til I saw HGD's comment there.. And that was too late, seemingly. Strangely enough the clip is already taken down. Or at least I can't see it from over here on Mars. So if anyone happened to salvage it, I would not say no to a link to the recording. Thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Wow.  That was really something.  The clarity of the instruments I just loved.  Heard things Mike did with his guitar that I never noticed before, especially at the very beginning.  Grabs the heart right from the start.  Love the ending too.  And everything in between. 

...just feels very laid back and good natured.

That describes Stan's playing for me.  He has a very relaxed and seemingly effortless way of playing the drums.  It really is a pity he left, but I guess by that point in time he realized there were more important things to him in life than the band.  Personally, I don't know how anyone could walk away from that, but he did.  It must not be all we think it is.

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

Yes, that IS a nice find! I didn't realize what it was til I saw HGD's comment there.. And that was too late, seemingly. Strangely enough the clip is already taken down. Or at least I can't see it from over here on Mars. So if anyone happened to salvage it, I would not say no to a link to the recording. Thanks in advance.

Did you try watching it on Youtube or here at the Farm? I just checked and it works on both; sounds like it could be some international reason for it not playing. Perhaps someone here can convert the audio for you or something so you can hear it. In the meantime, i'll share my brief review of the clip.

After hearing how this was a bad performance, I have to say that it sounded fine to me; sure there may have been a point where they were just a smidge off around 3:42 but that's such a minor mistake that I doubt most people even heard it. Heck, it doesn't even sound bad to me at all, offering up something unique in a song they've performed multiple times.

Perhaps this performance seemed so dark to them because of Howie. Well, that was a stupidly obvious sentence, yes, maybe seeing him live during this would reveal how this wasn't very good. But to my ears now, the song sounds very lively and fresh. It's Stan on the drums correct?

Maybe another reason this performance was looked down on was because Howie's singing wasn't up to his normal standard that so many people loved; I'm not one to judge that, I really can't tell.

So there you go. I think it's a good performance, I even think it's superior to the one on the Live Anthology. I hope you can hear it at some point if for no other reason than to satisfy your curiosity, it's not the greatest performance but nor is to the worst in my opinion. 

cheers

2 hours ago, RedfordCowboy said:

The only show the band played in 1996, in Beverly Hills, and the only show packed with songs off of the yet-unreleased "She's the One" album. This is #1 on my bootleg wish list. BTW, is that a thread somewhere, a list or rare/desired bootleg shows? That would be fun to explore. I would include the 1996 show and the 1993 Viper Room show on there for starters.

I think there's shows that would be a treat to listen to like the ones above and then there are unique song performances out there that would be good as well; like All Or Nothing, Don't Fade On Me, Nightwatchman from '12? and Makin' Some Noise from '05 etc. PIcture the band releasing a live free download of the Beverly Hills show...!

cheers

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

What did you think of the performance?

I think it's a good, crisp performance. I think it's Stan on drums, but can't say for sure. Like you said, seeing the video of this would be really illuminating with respect to the band's dynamics, Howie, etc.

12 hours ago, High Grass Dog said:

Like you said, seeing the video of this would be really illuminating with respect to the band's dynamics, Howie, etc.

For sure. Being the huge Howie fan that I am, I suspect a quite strong reaction on my part, if I ever got to see it. Would be tough.

The same way it's fantastic to see Stan back with them in the photage of American Girl! And how cool it was to see Ron back, too! Of course, that we soon got used to, but at the time it was quite special. And seeing Stan there.. it still puts a smile on my face. Quite a magical night in many ways, talk about a black and white night...

Seeing the Hall of Fame Mary Jane would be fantastic, but so far I haven't even heard it. Link still don't work from here. "This video is not available".

1 hour ago, Hoodoo Man said:

11 Mary Jane s Last Dance.mp3

This version of the song is one of my favorites, it has a fairly extended jam and there is a section of the song that reminds me of American dream plan B near the 5 min mark.  This is from the Fillmore 2/7/97..

That's a good one indeed. I'm also fond of the Last Dj versions with the double-time ending. Was a bit of a let down when they stopped taking it to this length, double-time or no.

Last Brew With Maxwell House, one more sip to ease the pain of how terrible this coffee is, won't be brewin' this agaaaaaaainnnnn...

cheers

On 4/15/2018 at 2:52 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

No, I caught the tour before the official Last DJ tour that summer, heard three new songs from that album (Have Love Will Travel, Lost Children and Can't Stop the Sun) and the really good version of Too Much Ain't Enough. 

Preach. First show I ever went to was that 02 Summer Tour and thank God there's a bootleg of it of half way decent quality because the version they play of "Too Much Ain't Enough" is not only great, but rare. Only played it that tour and on the 01 tour.

I also love how they're trying to fit in with the grunge scene with how they're dressed from 93-96. Absolutely great. Mike in flannel is almost as good as them being decked out in Mad Max clothes for the "You Got Lucky" video

And just out of curiosity, because I can never remember: does anyone know the list of songs reported for the aborted 93 TPATH album and the aborted 03 ?sessions? Both are periods in the band where they gave great performances of MJLD and other songs from those sessions such as "Melinda", "Black Leather Woman", "Drivin' Down to Georgia" etc.

10 hours ago, martin03345 said:

And just out of curiosity, because I can never remember: does anyone know the list of songs reported for the aborted 93 TPATH album

There are threads elsewhere about this, I think, (or maybe it's just in my mind or some private discussions, I don't know), but a quick answer, top of my head, would be: God's Gift To Man, You Get Me High, Come on Down To My House and Driving Down To Georgia was cut in 92/93 sessions aimed at ITGWO follow-up

The really productive '93 sessions though.. was for the Greatest Hits extra slots and apart from MJLD that is -- and another go at Come on Down To My House, I seem to recall - those sessions generated mostly covers.. Something In The Air, obviously.. as well as Blue Moon of Kentucky, Let's Play House, Wooden Heart... Not sure.. would I'm Walking be from here as well? Maybe not.. Don't remember details at this point, but I think there were tons of covers, basically, at least some 20+ of them.

As for the '03 sessions, I guess you are on to it yourself.. I have not seen or heard any actual studio cuts leaked from those.. but I have notes that says that they did try at least the songs that they played live in '03. Those would then be  Black Leather Woman, Two Men Talking, Next Time I See Memphis, My New Guitar, Melinda. Not a bad half an album's worth of a LDJ follow-up right there... There seem to be one or two titles more that skips my mind right now...  

20 hours ago, martin03345 said:

Preach. First show I ever went to was that 02 Summer Tour and thank God there's a bootleg of it of half way decent quality because the version they play of "Too Much Ain't Enough" is not only great, but rare. Only played it that tour and on the 01 tour.

I'm glad you got to see them and the song and even have a bootleg of it! What show was it?

cheers

^ Martin, like myself, is from upstate NY. He's referring to the July 2002 Saratoga Performing Arts Center show. Loved seeing Tom at that venue; he played some real gems there over the years (the July 2001 show has a pretty varied setlist, too, as that show is the the only time the band covered "Stop Breaking Down"). The first time I saw him there, in 2005, he even whipped out "Angel Dream" <3, which was rarely played outside small venue shows 

2 minutes ago, mikemono said:

^ Martin, like myself, is from upstate NY. He's referring to the July 2002 Saratoga Performing Arts Center show. Loved seeing Tom at that venue; he played some real gems there over the years (the July 2001 show has a pretty varied setlist, too, as that show is the the only time the band covered "Stop Breaking Down"). The first time I saw him there, in 2005, he even whipped out "Angel Dream" <3, which was rarely played outside small venue shows 

And that 05 show, which I was also at lol, they played a really nice version of "Knockin' On Heavens Door" which I believed they only did 2-3 times that tour. The version of "Have Love Will Travel" from the Live Anthology is from that 7/5/02 show at SPAC.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:27 PM, High Grass Dog said:

I think it's a good, crisp performance. I think it's Stan on drums, but can't say for sure. Like you said, seeing the video of this would be really illuminating with respect to the band's dynamics, Howie, etc.

I believe both Stan and Steve played drums for "MJLD" at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction

The first time I ever heard "Mary Jane's Last Dance" was during the national radio broadcast of a Gainesville concert in November 1993, a week before the Greatest Hits record was released. They did a long, extended jam at the end of the song and it was fantastic. I was recording the concert on cassette, so I must have listened to that version a million times.

The Live Anthology includes versions of "Drivin' Down To Georgia" and "Lost Without You" and (possibly) "Something in the Air" from that show, so I was always surprised they didn't use that "MJLD" as well. I also heard them play "MJLD" with acoustic guitars at the Bridge Concert in November 1994, so that was the first time I heard it played live.

On 4/10/2018 at 4:41 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I don't know if there's a single performance to point it but there are tours, two to my mind where one can get the best live versions; not with about a thirty second to minute solo and some climatic noise for the big wrap-up but where the band extended the song.

The Wildflowers Tour: Usually begun with Benmont's solo, offering a little atmosphere before the song kicks in. Very moody jams.

The Last Dj Tour: Usually begun with Tom doing some kind of "Dj speech" leading to long versions with a lot of atmosphere and then launching into a double time outro. Fantastic!

Is there a particular version you enjoy? The one from the Homecoming '93 show? Acoustic at Stan's last performance with the band? The slightly longer version minus the big jams that became the standard over the years? The all kazoo version?

cheers

1995 arrangement the best.  I was disappointed with the shorter versions thereafter.