Timflyte

So Mike is in Fleetwood Mac ?

Here's the setlist from last night - the first show of the tour.  I wouldn't have guessed "Free Fallin', but I'm surprised that "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" was not there.  That seemed like an obvious choice.

Fleetwood Mac Set List, Oct. 3, 2018 – Tulsa, Oklahoma

1. “The Chain”
2. “Little Lies”
3. “Dreams”
4. “Second Hand News” (Neil Finn on vocals)
5. “Say You Love Me”
6. “Black Magic Woman” (1968 single, Stevie Nicks on vocals)
7. “Everywhere”
8. “I Got You” (Split Enz cover, Finn on vocals)
9. “Rhiannon”
10. “Tell Me All the Things You Do” (from Kiln House, 1970)
11. “Storms”
12. “World Turning” (featuring drum / percussion duel)
13. “Hypnotized” (from Mystery to Me, 1973, Finn on vocals)
14. “Oh Well” (Mike Campbell on vocals)
15. “Don’t Dream It’s Over” (Crowded House cover, Finn and Nicks duet)
16. “Landslide”
17. “Isn’t It Midnight” (from Tango in the Night, 1987)
18. “Monday Morning”
19. “You Make Loving Fun”
20. “Gold Dust Woman”
21. “Go Your Own Way”
encore
22. “Free Fallin'” (Tom Petty cover, Nicks on vocals)
23. “Don’t Stop”
24. “All Over Again” (From Time, 1995 – Nicks and Christine McVie on vocals)

9 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Thanks for sharing this. What did you think?

I didn't care for it. Maybe I've just heard Free Fallin' so many times it's not any fun to hear and I also didn't care for her voice and phrasing on this one. I think she does a great I Need To Know but this didn't work.

I am so ambivalent about this whole thing right now, I just...I have to think about it some more.

8 hours ago, Shelter said:

Yeah, yeah.. I see where the impulse comes from, the heartfelt thought behind it, the paying tribute and all that yadayada, and if Mike says he's really ok with this, I guess respect that.

It's difficult to know if he's "really ok" with it; this is just my speculation/opinion, but I think Stevie sort of led him into the whole "people need us to do this right now" kind of thing.  I mean, he had a hard enough time just doing that kind of thing on his own, so I imagine he's still kind of cringing inside.  But that's just my feeling.

What I had more of an issue with was Stevie's take on "Black Magic Woman."  Self-mythologizing much?  And I say that as someone who is a fan.  Mike sounded great on it, though.  And Christine, wow that took me back to the old days.

(If that was really her and not that other guy - I can't remember his name, but I think he's been on the last few tours with them.)

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

This shows Free Fallin right from the beginning & shows MC talking to SN... 

I'm not crying.... YOUR Crying....   I really wish they had picked almost any other Heartbreakers song.  Steive did it justice but early on it looks like Mike was having a hard time playing this one and seemed to sigh early on.  :( 

I also need to add that if there is one song I can do without hearing ever again sung by Tom or anyone else its Free Fallin, having seen the band so many times over the years this is one staple that really got stale for me over the years.  I think its the only song they played that I actually got really tired of hearing. 

Okay, one of the things I have thought about is: do I think someone should be out there with some songs and a slideshow and offering us all a moment of: Hey, this was one of the greatest American rock bands ever and let's celebrate their legacy and the man who was their creative fire and their biggest fan...?  Absolutely.  But do I think it should be Fleetwood Mac?  Not necessarily.

Well, hard to know what to say on this one and my respect for Mike has me not wanting to say too much on it, fair to say that it must have been a very difficult and emotional thing to do/get through, almost as if it's too raw and too soon to do the song for both Mike and Stevie...that is was Free Fallin that they did made it more difficult too in my view,  but then again it was I assume their choice to do Free Fallin rather than something else or indeed nothing else. Stevie was obviously very emotional...and Mike's body language spoke volumes, it was obviously tough.

I do think that Neil Finn should have sang Free Fallin, he would have been a better vocal fit for the song, perhaps he didn't  want to or perhaps Stevie insisted on singing it, who knows the discussions that went on behind closed doors when it came to all of this.

A different song may have been better all round for all involved...I Should Have Known It would have been my pick..a chance for Mike to shine while paying tribute to Tom.     

4 hours ago, TomFest said:

but I'm surprised that "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" was not there.  That seemed like an obvious choice.

I don't think it can be done, or at least not this soon after Tom's death without it being incredibly strange and off putting, as if someone could just easily replace Tom. Who could step in to sing Tom's part? Not Mike, that would be way too much emotionally even if he wanted to which I would guess he would not. I suppose Stevie could sing it herself but isn't that going to just seem even stranger? 

I think indy bands could do it though because they're not on the level of Fleetwood Mac and it just feels different, not so much Sturm und Drang. I can see why they didn't perform this one. How could she sing a song she dueted with him and not be taken with grief? 

3 hours ago, chimera said:

I think Stevie sort of led him into the whole "people need us to do this right now" kind of thing.  I mean, he had a hard enough time just doing that kind of thing on his own, so I imagine he's still kind of cringing inside.  But that's just my feeling.

The more I think about it the more it seems like a bad idea all together. Much too soon. But who knows, only Mike and Stevie could explain and express how it felt and they're not forum members, I don't think. 

29 minutes ago, dollardime said:

.I Should Have Known It would have been my pick..a chance for Mike to shine while paying tribute to Tom.     

That's a really good suggestion. From the little I've seen of Mac I think this would work with them. But would it have the big crowd impact that Free Fallin' would? I figure that was a big factor in the consideration; it's like a band going on stage and saying we're going to honor Tom and play Finding Out. Most people would'n't recognize it. And while ISHKI had a push at its release, I don't think it's as known or popular as the big hits.

cheers

3 hours ago, chimera said:

I mean, he had a hard enough time just doing that kind of thing on his own, so I imagine he's still kind of cringing inside.  But that's just my feeling.

It was more exciting and perhaps cathartic as well to see the Dirty Knobs cover Tom. He chose Something Good Coming, You Wreck Me and Running Down A Dream, right? No Free Fallin'. 

3 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

its Free Fallin, having seen the band so many times over the years this is one staple that really got stale for me over the years.  I think its the only song they played that I actually got really tired of hearing. 

Every so often I'll give it a listen but I feel the same way. I've just heard it so many damn times; had people want to play it on guitar, heard it at every concert I saw them play etc. I was tired of Won't Back Down too but at least the acoustic versions offered something different. Ahh, what are ya gonna do? These are the songs that people love and connected with, not only were most of their concerts filled with hits but most of the big tributes keep playing the same songs. Oh well. (no pun intended).

1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

It was more exciting and perhaps cathartic as well to see the Dirty Knobs cover Tom. He chose Something Good Coming, You Wreck Me and Running Down A Dream, right? No Free Fallin'. 

Exactly; I mean, it was incredibly emotional all the way round but it also had a feeling of rightness.  Just like when Benmont sang "It'll All Work Out."

1 hour ago, chimera said:

Just like when Benmont sang "It'll All Work Out."

Good point. And while Mike also played two big hits they fit his band, particularly the improv during You Wreck Me. Just fabulous. Free Fallin by Fleetwood at this point feels like McDonalds, the stuff the Dirty Knobs and Benmont played feel like a Mom & Pop restaurant.

cheers

part of me thinks this is mikes retirement tour one more time for the big audience, and the money. reading the roller stone article stevie saying this will create a moment ( sounds disingenuious)  to tom to my ears, let mike do something good coming/ running down a dream that would really honor tom. 

I love benmont chimera said it better than me

for me it looks like

• something happened in the first verse - SN paused & repeated the line & MC's saying something to SN (maybe "Come on!") 
  • no second verse (I'm a bad boy for breaking her heart)
  • MC puffs out his cheeks there

Ah, maybe there's an art to creating a heartfelt public tribute - looks like it's harder to create a moment than it might seem.   Agree everyone's comment above.

That raw emotion in both Benmont's and Dirty Knobs' songs helps us feel they are being totally honest & that they've forgotten that we are even there just for the moment.   That  they are playing this one to the loved one now gone. Well, sure, there are people watching but that's not who they are playing this for. 

Make sense?   

PS There's no way I'm watching Benmont play It'll All Work Out unless I am you know, ready for the emotions / the feels, the feels.  

That "free fallin" video .....it was embarrassingly bad.   Even Mike had to take a deep breath.    The reality is that when Tom passed away,

the group is really done and the songs should remain as Tom's legacy.   Nobody else can sing them - especially NOT STEVIE NICKS.

It's not even her song.....It's an injustice to Tom ...he would cringe hearing that.    He was perfection with each of his songs...and nobody

can duplicate that.....and Fleetwood Mac should stick to their own songs.....Mike doesn't seem to fit and seems uncomfortable with this

whole thing.   His mind is on Tom and always will be...he is irreplaceable.