Timflyte

So Mike is in Fleetwood Mac ?

23 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

looks like it's harder to create a moment than it might seem.   Agree everyone's comment above.

That raw emotion in both Benmont's and Dirty Knobs' songs helps us feel they are being totally honest & that they've forgotten that we are even there just for the moment. 

Yes, it's about being truly in the moment. There's a joy in the Dirty Knobs performance, a frenzied sweaty performance that isn't about trying to create some over the top memorial with a giant video screen. I'm guessing Stevie's intent was pure you know, who am I to judge, but it was too over thought, too big...the world doesn't need another flawless performance of Free Fallin'...(not that this was) heck, look to Take the Highway or any of a number of youtube videos...what it needed was something less...and this may sound bad...less plastic. But again, I think her heart was in the right place. And also, like I said before, I'm pretty burned out on Free Fallin'. 

Maybe she should've done Southern Accents on her own or I Need To Know. Short, punchy, high energy, scream out "...this one's for Tom!" and let it rip. I don't know.

As for Benmont's performance...it's like an elegy.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't quit before the tour is over.   It's too soon after Tom's passing and his mind will always be on that.

He doesn't seem comfortable because Fleetwood Mac songs are not his thing, nor is that group....he was with Tom for 50 years....

and they fit like a glove....can't recreate that.    

10 minutes ago, twisterseal said:

.It's an injustice to Tom ...he would cringe hearing that.

Tom did say he appreciated the covers album that came out in the 90s by more obscure bands.

Maybe I'm wrong but I reckon Tom would like the idea of people covering his music but not treating him as some holy relic or something. Ripping through a song, rearranging it, I think he would've been fine with all of that but not being viewed as some figure on a pedestal. That's how this feels, the performance by the Dirty Knobs was in your face, musicians jamming out with joy, at one point the rhythm keeps going while the band figures out who solos next and it feels real. I think Tom would've been down for that. Well, that's my opinion, I don't know.

cheers

Well, I just thought Free Fallin' was embarrassingly bad.  Tom probably wouldn't mind his songs being sung by someone who could sing.....

Stevie Nicks seems like she lost her voice.....maybe it's time for her to retire.   Sometimes people want to remain relevant but if they have

no singing voice left, they need to call it a career.....I'd prefer Mike singing that song if I had to hear it sung by anyone other than Tom.

Actually, I really just like to remember Tom's songs the way he sung them...which is the only good way to hear them.  Everyone has

their own opinions and I respect that....I just think nobody can do justice to Tom Petty's songs as he was the best of all time.

I was talking with a friend of mine who said: "Really?  A Fleetwood Mac concert with angst & drama playing out on-stage?  Sounds like business as usual!" :rolleyes:

So we developed some imaginary near-future scenarios ...where SN leaves F Mac to pursue her solo work &

• a) MC remains & some of the other Heartbreakers join too.  Neil Finn can stay if he wants, he could be rhythm guitar & sing.  ;) Could be tricky with having both Benmont and Christine on keyboards, but they could work it out amicably, we feel sure.  
  • or b) Lindsey returns & they find a new female singer.  

I also like guitar student's idea!

There are so many sensible reasons for naming a band based on the current lineup ("Crosby Stills Nash & Young" and also "Crosby Stills & Nash")

13 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

The more I think about it the more it seems like a bad idea all together. Much too soon.

That first part is about right. No time frame would excuse the fact that, done like this, it was bad taste, bad performance and all together horrible. I hope they stop doing it right now.

How come no one is talking about this??

On 4 October 2018 at 6:22 AM, chimera said:

Here's the last bit of "Free Fallin'"

And another part:

This is not a good ode to Tom's memory, in my opinion.  Not only does Stevie sound dreadful here, her cover of the song in FM with MC implies that she has momentarily become a Heartbreaker, which is what we all know she wanted to be. Something Tom did not want. She should have stuck to the songs he did with her whilst he was alive, not become a surrogate Tomella. 

Frankly, over-celebrating, as well as under-celebrating someone's death, even one as recent as Petty's, just cheapens the life, however unintentional and well-meaning. Another case of celebrity sobaholism overkill. Not tasteful and not classy.

I also don't think the box set was such a great idea either, given the timing of this release rather than the idea behind it. It's too soon to release something so monumental as a huge back catalogue with outcuts and rejected and reworked songs. For a start there is nothing yet to 'remember' - when he only died last year and the pain and grief is still so raw and present for many of his fans. This project, I feel, was more befitting to a 10th anniversary of his death release, not something done when his body is barely cold. It's all too much too soon.  

2 hours ago, Shelter said:

That first part is about right. No time frame would excuse the fact that, done like this, it was bad taste, bad performance and all together horrible. I hope they stop doing it right now.

How come no one is talking about this??

OMG - sqeeeeee - running around the room - this is wonderful musical performance!!!! 

Thank you so much Shelter for posting - this has cheered me up about FMac.  They seem to be having so much fun ripping into this!! 

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

6 hours ago, chimera said:

I did!  Earlier in this thread I said Mike sounds great on "Oh Well" - didn't I?  He even handles his flub so well, the dear thing. :wub:

Oh yes, he can do anything!  True professional & master of the on-stage game of thinking on his feet & making sure everyone's having fun.  :wub:

Two things:

I watched a few Instagram videos of "Free Fallin'" from last night and the crowd was totally into it, so I'd guess it's likely going to be a big moment for most attendees and thus Stevie was right.

Mike just looks so alone on his side of the stage. 😭

7 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Instrumental part of "Go You Own Way" on night #2 of their tour (Chicago)... note, no shenanigans or missed cues in this performance... there may be dancing!

I am so goddamn proud of that man.  Look at him go!  And also throwing that arm up, directing this band which is maybe becoming his band too.

And LOL, Neil doing the twirls Stevie was too tired to do, bless.

Maybe she should have done " the insider " or " stop draggin  .."  instead.

It would've still shown Tom's talent and her friendship , or even " the apartment song "....but her voice just doesn't sound right on ff....she sounds to low on the verses...

Stevie has covered "Free Fallin'" previously (it's on the soundtrack for Party Of Five, I believe, and also on her boxset The Enchanted Works of Stevie Nicks) although I agree that because she lost her range it doesn't sound as good as when she recorded it fifteen years ago or whenever it was.

I get what they are trying to do and the sentiment behind it, but maybe it's too soon or they should choose a different song.  That heavy sigh from Mike in Tulsa was tough to watch.

In the Go Your Own Way clip, did anyone else notice when Neil is on the drum riser he kicks a water bottle and it hits Stevie's leg?

1 hour ago, downsouth26 said:

In the Go Your Own Way clip, did anyone else notice when Neil is on the drum riser he kicks a water bottle and it hits Stevie's leg?

5 hours ago, chimera said:

I am so goddamn proud of that man.  Look at him go!  And also throwing that arm up, directing this band which is maybe becoming his band too.

And LOL, Neil doing the twirls Stevie was too tired to do, bless.

All these details make it a better performance for me than the opening night!! 

I too very much like the way Mike raises his arm & whenever they gather around the drums (seeming to be interested in playing together & keeping it tight rather than only playing direct to audience).  NF's bringing a high energy level on-stage & his voice is in good shape (but I am a fan). 

So I'm going from :( (Tulsa) to ;) (Chicago) & am hoping for some smiles or even shoulder bumps...

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

So I'm going from :( (Tulsa) to ;) (Chicago) & am hoping for some smiles or even shoulder bumps...

I saw a great pic on Facebook of Mike smiling at Christine during "Black Magic Woman," I think.  So sweet, but I think it was from Tulsa.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:19 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Wait, wasn't it the You can still change your mind?

It was You Can Still Change Your Mind. This is not my video but I was at the show. I was sitting much closer and straight on so I could see his face and it was a very moving performance and I think everyone in the small room felt it.  At the intro he said "this is by my two favorite song writers" without naming them and as if anyone in the room wouldn't know he added "it's the last song on Hard Promises."

(Though I generally agree with what Twistedseal wrote especially that the Free Fallin' performance by Nicks was awful. )