Timflyte

So Mike is in Fleetwood Mac ?

On 9/5/2018 at 5:23 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

so very strange to see mike there...  Neil sounded great!  Still wrapping my head around this.

The mix doesn't seem all that good. I can hardly hear Stevie in this.  Not a bad performance of The Chain, but I much prefer LB presence. He's such an intrinsic part of the band and his guitar playing blows me away too. 

3 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I've re-watched these now.  I think Id be happier if Neil and Mike were touring together.  Just baffled to see Mike play a keyboard during Gypsy why couldn't Christy hit a few keys allowing Mike to focus on his guitar playing? 

Better yet, why couldn't Mike play that figure on guitar?  I was all, "WTF is that?"

Sorry to be so blunt, but that rendition of Gypsy is c**p. Stevie's voice is shot through and lost all of its marvellous qualities of old, and you can hardly hear her. Mike Campbell might as well be sitting down with his feet up reading the paper - for all he has to do. What a boring, bland performance. If that is what fans are in for during the FM tour, I would give it a huge miss. 

mmmm maybe it's early days for them?
Though it's relatively easy for me to criticize performance based on my  totally unbiased support & love & loyalty towards  Mike (& Neil), my heart goes out to FMac fans who are dealing with lack of Lindsey from line-up.  And for people who are fans of both Mike & F Mac, woah, that's gotta be confusing.  ;)  

There's a lot of background things I ponder...like it being four months to the day when Mike got the call.  I think about the place he was in, I can't presume his pain but he has articulated it somewhat.  So I want to protect him, even as it's none of my business and my opinion doesn't matter for a hill of beans.  It's weirdly inevitable, I suppose.  It's kind of like being asked to contemplate something which is just too other to really think about it without making you feel strange and bending your brain.  But that's too deep to discuss in any rational sort of way.

In additional weirdness, it has been suggested elsewhere that the audio mix was fixed after the show was aired because of the rather underwhelming response, perhaps.  I went back and watched "The Chain" again and I would have to agree that it was - compared with what I heard the day it was posted.  So it's worth a rewatch, I think.  But not "Gypsy" because I don't think any amount of post-production would make me feel better about that rendition.

^ Right! Seems very plausible.

However, personally I'd hope they'd go for something slightly less obvious. Stop Draggin' seem like a point they will have a hard time avoiding. But if they are gonna do some other, straight TP/MC song too, I would think it much more clever and more interesting if they went a bit to the side of the beaten to death TPATH path and lifted something a little less played than RDAD, IWBD, AG, FF, R.... That way chanses are greater they will come up with something entirely their own, something that will be both 1 - a tip of the hat to Tom and Mike's past, a tribute, as it were and 2 - something that has a true chance of becoming part of FM lore and legacy too, for real, with an intricate, exquisite arrangement that fits their deal. Especially if MC plans on staying on longer than this tour.

To me, the best choice would be a song that may not be one of the mega:est of mega hits, but not totally obscure either, most of all a song that would fit the groove, vibe and aura of FM, that could be reworked in a way that it would be their own song too. I hope for something special, that they take this unique opportunity to expand artistically, but I know chanses are that 1 - I get voted down, and 2 - they will take the first mega hit they can find like everybody else has. 

On 9/9/2018 at 4:25 AM, Big Blue Sky said:

mmmm maybe it's early days for them?
Though it's relatively easy for me to criticize performance based on my  totally unbiased support & love & loyalty towards  Mike (& Neil), my heart goes out to FMac fans who are dealing with lack of Lindsey from line-up.  And for people who are fans of both Mike & F Mac, woah, that's gotta be confusing.  ;)  

Getting shot of Lindsay Buckingham was like getting rid of the meat from a roast dinner. Stevie is and always has been the roast spuds, whatever she might think, and Mick and Christine the peas and sprouts and John the gravy. 

Just now, MaryJane0612 said:

Getting shot of Lindsay Buckingham was like getting rid of the meat from a roast dinner. Stevie is and always has been the crispy roast spuds that no one wants to pass up, whatever she might think, and Mick and Christine the peas and sprouts and John the gravy. Tbh, Mike, great guitarist through he is, along with Neil Finn, can never really be anything more than a nut cutlet each. Hopefully there will be plenty of vegan fans in the audience who don't mind.

I agree... I agree... hearing songs that we all know and love as duets is unavoidably poignant (at the very least) as it's reminding us so much of those missing voices (whether we're missing Lindsey or Tom or both)...  I mean, for TPATH fans Tom & Mike are the Dream Team and I'm guessing that's true for F Mac fans about Stevie and Lindsey.

And I imagine playing those ones would be fraught with all sorts of emotional entanglements.  (We love you, Mike! Look after yourself!)

Sometimes bands retire songs - for all sorts of reasons.  I believe TPATH retired The Waiting because no-one could play the drums for it like Stan? (Man, he could play.)  And TPATH also retired Anything That's Rock and Roll because it was a young man's song about staying up all night and telling the boss he is a jerk? 

Good news though - F Mac 2018 have a huge range to choose from.  Some of the other songs could be worth bringing forward - or new ones?

• Thanks for saying the re-mix is worth a second listen.   ❤️

40 minutes ago, chimera said:

Here's the last bit of "Free Fallin'"

Thanks for sharing this. What did you think?

I didn't care for it. Maybe I've just heard Free Fallin' so many times it's not any fun to hear and I also didn't care for her voice and phrasing on this one. I think she does a great I Need To Know but this didn't work. Granted...cell phone quality, maybe it was better in person.

Were those people in the second clip holding up their phones like lighters or recording? Could you tell?

Guitars sound good to me & Mike Campbell's owning that stage.   (So brave.:wub:

I especially liked moments when he was playing with Neil Finn & then later when he strolled over to play directly in front of drums riser eye to eye with Mick Fleetwood.  

PS Here's a challenge with no clear answer.  Free Fallin'...  "I'm a bad boy 'cos I don't even miss her / I'm a bad boy for breaking her heart" " Sung by a female voice? Or do they cut those lines? Or do Mike or Neil sing that part?  

I am sorry, Stevie. What were you thinking? That is just horrible. IMO, not only is neither the song nor the performance anywhere a good fit for FM - this is not even a good idea. Yeah, yeah.. I see where the impulse comes from, the heartfelt thought behind it, the paying tribute and all that yadayada, and if Mike says he's really ok with this, I guess respect that. But at least in my own heart I feel very awkward right now. Perhaps if it was a Stevie solo show, with Mike guesting, it would half work, but, really... This is just wrong.

Other than that, I can just refer to my September 18 post, above. It's sadly obvious that no one in the FM camp was inclined to a similar line of thinking, nor to consider a bigger yet honorary picture. If some did, I suppose Stevie would have none of it. She wanted her silly monument, the big ultra commercialized drama statement. So, I suppose that's it for their chance to a have a Tom Petty song made their own, incorporated into their legacy. Too bad. There's no way that's gonna happen with this one, that this will go anywhere beyond this somewhat tacky display. Would this even make it through the whole tour? God, I hope not. 

well, if we accept that they want to perform at least one song as a direct tribute to Tom Petty with a screen full of images...

• which Heartbreakers songs would you like to hear Fleetwood Mac (2018) play?
  • Which ones might sound great played by this line-up?  

Good questions. I do suppose the "screen full of images" doesn't quite help my perspective, does it...

As for your items, I'd say that given the right arrangement and enough work, FM could make anything sound good. Please note that I am not one to tell them what to play. That would do as much harm to the idea of them making something fully their own, as does picking Free Fallin' as a steady tour set piece (if that's what they've done). Now, I am sure that they c-o-u-l-d play an ok Free Fallin', even if they didn't this time. What I'm questioning is well beyond that. I don't care what they play. It's why and how they do it, it's about their approach. If they really thought long and hard enough on what may be the the best fit, the most tasteful choice and the best way to go with the fact that Mike is now in the band and that his and Stevie's dear Tom is now gone. Are they sure they didn't just go for the quickest, simplest and most spectacluar drama fix - the standard format of our times, designed to satisfy the apathetic, with screens and all, subtleties not being an issue - that they could think of. I don't know the answer, mind you. It just really rubs me the wrong way and makes me feel very unconfortable seeing and hearing this. And I am really sorry, should someone take offense from me saying so. Seeing Stevie's face there, at the end of the song, facing what I believe is Mike, is what's offensive to me. I always loved her so much, and I know her devotion to Tom (and Mike) is genuine and all... but this was just too much.

Sorry to not answer your question with a song list. That's not where I'm at right now... Can't Stop The Sun?

I'm sticking with something like Diamond Head because there are no vocals....

uh, what I really mean is it'd be challenging singing while also dealing with a surge of emotions... and really wanting to make the tribute just as beautiful as possible -

creates a public situation that squeezes a lot of challenges into just a few minutes...

Oh well, the best of luck to them all.