Timflyte

So Mike is in Fleetwood Mac ?

Ok, so this is just in.. Can't find any info on what this is really!? And what's up with Mike (and Christine) not being present?

Anyway, first proof of live from the new line up and Neil and Stevie musically interacting At least something. If something strange.  

Haha! You're right! Jeeeze... Really sorry about that. Saw it this morning, barely awake, and something must have misfired in my head.. I was certainly confused, since someone suggsted how hot and new this was, almost no views either... and I was thinking.. "Paris, what? Some kinda under the radar debut/test for the new line up" and then of course quickly thought "How strangely insulting that the first thing they do is Buckingham's Tusk!!" and "Where the heck is Mike, then??". Man, that was a blunder, no more, no less. Just blushing a little here..... At least I can count on you to point out faults, and this time you found a big one  :D Again, sorry guys...

Ok, anyway... some more:

http://www.947wls.com/2018/06/18/mick-fleetwood-hints-new-music-might-be-coming-from-fleetwood-mac/

So, for the people speculating if Mick and Neil will have stuff in the FM set now...

"Fleetwood also said that Campbell and Finn’s music would also be incorporated into the Mac setlists."

There you have it! Depending on what that actually means, this could be great news.

Hi, I'm just quietly standing up here and saying Tim Finn is one of New Zealand's deeply loved national  treasures.  The Finn brothers have been living in the public eye for decades now and they've always come across as decent blokes.  His personality seems like it'll be compatible with Mike Campbell.  Trustworthy, funny, musical, sensitive, kind, protective, generous and a family man. Could be Mike Campbell, but I wrote that to describe how Tim Finn is regarded here.  Alright. Quiet nod, friendly smile all round, sits back down. 

more about why I have a hunch that Mike might be enjoying working with Neil Finn... (not sure if this is best spot for it, so please feel free to move it).

if you want to get a feel for Neil Finn and his fans, you could look at frenzforum.com with a section for Neil Finn in frenz: artists, bands and projects.  3 threads give a good intro...

• Neil's guitars & equipment... beyond his red Gretch, 64 goldtop les Paul and Vox amps...
  • Neil Finn with Fleetwood Mac includes fans' concerns about why he's joining FM when he's such a talented muso in his own right with cool mini-bands like the one with his son Liam. Will he still be able to create & play his own music, especially since that seems such a vibrant part of his personality... He seems so laid-back, is FM too volatile for him to be appreciated? Oh, yeah, you could substitute "Mike" / "Dirty Knobs" for every time someone's written "Neil" / "his other collaborations" - it echoes the essential truths of what you all've been sharing here. 
  • The Ledge - Fleetwood Mac is such a nice read - it's full of concerns by fans for other fans about what they feel are negative vibes in some FM forums (ahem, no comment) and caring recommendations about more supportive communities & sites. 

And lastly, when his good friend died, Neil and his wife (Sharon) asked if they could please adopt the oldest dog from his family of pets to live with them on their property.  

Sorry - is the new name of the band "Fleetwood Mike", or is it "Finnwood Mac"?  Guess it depends on which side of the stage you're standing on.  Anyway, it should be really good with some new energy injected.  But I do hope they put out a DVD, because I won't be splurging for concert tickets. 

Hey Mr. Blue Sky - question about the "64 Les Paul you mentioned.  Are you sure?  I don't think Gibson made any Les Paul models during those early/mid 60's years.  Did you mean "54 Goldtop? 

Haha ^

Gold top - you're right Tomfest - oops sorry - my bad. I hope that doesn't undermine my endorsement of Neil Finn. (I'll nip off & check). :huh:

Yeah - FM by DVD for me too unless those concert prices come right back down to something fans can afford. Crazy thing is that Neil & his son Liam have just come off a low budget tour where they seem to have driven a Winnebago and played in little old country town halls & a couple of festivals. Sounds like that was for love not money...

• There's a live recording of Neil and other musicians at his studio Roundhead Studio called Infinity Sessions on YouTube.  He wanted to cut his album live... so live-streamed via his website for 4 Friday evenings in a row.  The first evenings are sing-alongs to build sense of musical community and to take requests via Skype, with the last evening being the actual recording.  There's a lot of Finn there but you can dip in and out (go to the shops, get a cup of tea & they're still going).

Big Blue Sky (like in Casa Dega lyrics)

How's this sound Tomfest?

• Could it be that Neil Finn plays a 1969 Gibson Goldtop? I scrolled through some online forums & that seems to be consensus.  Indeed, a forum member in 2007 claims to have asked Neil's guitar tech John Walsh, who allegedly said: "Neil's 1969 Gibson Goldtop is the same one he's always had, he only owns the one."  
  • Against that, "Acoustic Guitar" magazine says 1968 Goldtop and 1958 Gretch Firebird with Maton for acoustic.
  • As you'll know, Maton's a quality Australian guitar using Australian timbers. (Tommy Emmanuel plays one). When the Finn brothers' Matons became so worn they were gonna retire them, Maton's luthiers stepped up & built replacements - which apparently are great & still going strong.  "808" is a song named for a Maton model. 

PS more overlap with Mike Campbell ... there's a possibility - apparently - that NF's playing a Rickenbacker 360-75 in video for "I See Red".  Also, people have given Neil guitars (just like Mike!) though, a bit sad, some guitars and other kit were lost in a fire many years ago.

Anyway, I've gone on about Neil Finn more than enough for now, especially since this is a Heartbreakers' site.  Thanks for your patience & interest if you've read this far.  The main principle here is that Neil Finn & Mike Campbell seem to have somethings in common already... If Mike Campbell plays with people beyond the Heartbreakers, at least Neil Finn seems to be on a similar cosmic wavelength plus to have a warm, friendly and supportive personality.  

My Big Damn Opinion, not that anybody cares. ;)  And I am rendering it as a long-time fan (like, since 1975 fan) of Fleetwood Mac.

I think Mike is fine in that he's doing his job - it's not like I expect him to stand out in this situation.  I think his soloing was wonderful!  But I am incredibly biased, of course.

Neil is good but it's the chemistry thing - he and Stevie just don't have any chemistry.  Maybe they'll develop it during the course of the tour.  Christine looks and sounds lovely and Mike and John are as solid as I expect.  I have no opinion as regards the support staff. :P

I am going to be avidly watching every YouTube video I can find, of course, but this wasn't a bad beginning.  Lindsey's presence is kind of like drenching mac-and-cheese in Frank's Red Hot or something, he's just a force to be reckoned with, but otherwise it was mostly the same comfort food I'm used to in Senior Citizen Fleetwood Mac.  Like, if you compare them performing "The Chain" at MusiCares (the last time they played with Lindsey) versus this performance, there's not that much difference as far as the overall vibe, IMO.  I mean, I don't hold with what they did to Lindsey, but what's done is done and I do want to see numerous videos of Mike performing this year even if it's somebody else's music.  I just want him playing guitar in this world, you know?  That's my selfish desire, but maybe not so selfish because he took the job, right?

PS - I don't know what's up with that keyboard in "Gypsy" though.

Thanks for posting these. Thanks so much!!!

Um, my critique / performance notes... Chain - you're so right about chemistry.  From minute 3:00 (i.e. once they stopped singing) musicians are sensational & (I think) we feel their personalities & their delight in the sound they're making.  More of this please.

Summary: I have been supportive of the idea (because I too do want to see Mike performing:wub:) but I'm am now dubious😕

• Could Neil please just look across at Mike sometimes?   Could they please exchange grins? Why is Mike on the right hand side of the stage? - just wrong.... 
  • Could musicians in F Mac find a way for these two unique musicians to thrive and be unique?  
  • (Otherwise FM could have hired some  musicians who are technically high quality / no flaws but just not particularly original.  I mean, those types of musicians exist & they're a wonderful part of bands & orchestras.) 

PS Comforting to see they're both keeping it real even if it's only that Neil's sticking with his preferred guitar while Mike's swapping his around -  two guitars for two songs :).   Good call on the red shirt outfit Hoodoo Man! 

PPS  (Also was it me or was Christine's sound mixed to be relatively quiet? She's my #2 keyboardist behind Benmont. )

Would be fun to see more new songs ... so this line-up's not always being compared to LB-era. 

With their back catalog of F Mac songs they could, say, record some early years songs - some of their blues (which might suit Stevie's 2018 vocal range).  

And new music - Mike creating music with Neil and the others... Please oh please let Mike still have someone he's creating new songs with.

2 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Why is Mike on the right hand side of the stage? - just wrong.... 

Because that's been their setup since 1975:  Lindsey on the right, Christine on the left, Stevie in the middle.  It's weird to me to see Neil in the middle too!  When Billy and Rick were in the band they were both on the right side of the stage, IIRC.

Well.. I for one, have mixed emotions about this. Seeing how I love Stevie and Mike and most all they do, how I enjoy much of the FM back cataloge (among which is certainly these two songs!) and how I think Neil is doing an ok job with this premiere... I don't know. Somehow I still don't think it works quite well.. Not sure.. May be just a display some subtle shakyness (certainly stiffness on Neil's part) from being part of this quite historic occasion, televised and all.. may be chemistry, as mentioned.. Time will tell.

I really want to find this natural.

For now ,I am thrilled about the sound and vibe they created for the last minute or so of The Chain. And I am eager to hear some new material. (Weren't they supposed to premiere some?! Did I dream that?) Will be interesting to listen closely to the sound and style to come. (After all, I haven't heard a really great new FM song in some 30 years or so.) Something tells me, Mike could give any new stuff a very special slant. I really hope he will. Unless he can become really integral, I don't think this gig is the type of creative dimension that fits his touch, so to speak.

For now he feels somewhat "added on" - sorry! Although, he does keep up with them perfectly, he rides along so to speak, in style of legends - man, is he cool. His trademark of serving the song with just enough little details, all intact, perhaps even slightly underplayed! Then it happens - he even breaks through, towards the end and he kinda single handedly takes it all away, to a level that to my mind closes in on perfection.. It's just.. when he does, he leaves the other behind a bit. It all feels a bit odd to me at this point. There is something about chemistry, probably.. that will come in time.. but there is also something about.. "gunk".. And does FM even have that?!

8 hours ago, Shelter said:

And I am eager to hear some new material. (Weren't they supposed to premiere some?! Did I dream that?) 

Mick has made mention of them perhaps either releasing a new song or two prior to the tour or playing a new song or two during the tour; if it's feasible in that timeframe.

ooo that gives us hope - maybe releasing any new songs on Ellen wasn't their plan - working on new material during rehearsals & live on tour is a lovely idea.  :) 

Also speaking as a loyal Neil Finn fan & this potential issue of chemistry... Finn music has usually created a fun, happy, quirky vibe.  (Soundtrack to many a happy memory.) Which leads to a more abstract question / issue about really wonderful musicians (no answers needed!) Would joy apply to Fleetwood Mac or are they more at home among angst & undercurrents of love & desire (asking in all seriousness as I only know their more popular songs)? What extent do musicians' personalities influence their choice of music? What extent can they play outside of their "emotional range" (my phrase, I just made it up)? 😻

I've re-watched these now.  I think Id be happier if Neil and Mike were touring together.  Just baffled to see Mike play a keyboard during Gypsy why couldn't Christy hit a few keys allowing Mike to focus on his guitar playing?  I really want to like Fleetwood Mac more, IDK  I enjoy some of their greatest hits and enjoy Rumors but its incredibly rare for me to want to listen to them.  If they come on the radio I will generally listen aside for a few songs used in commercials that are now played out for me. :( 

Also was there a major gaffe with "the chain" when the bass line was supposed to kick in (at the time Mike was changing guitars??) Was that dude plugged in?