Timflyte

So Mike is in Fleetwood Mac ?

I think it's unfair to compare Fleetwood Mac - the post-Peter Green-Mac - to Petty & the Heartbreakers. I mean, come on, how many artists and bands play in that league (Petty's)? A handful, tops. As far as pop bands go, Fleetwood Mac certainly were better than many and they sure had their moments. I always found Crowded House ways worse (no offence to Neil Finn).

But does that mean Mike can't ever play with a band like them? He sure has the freedom to do whatever he wants, at this point in his life (at least that's what I would guess), and Fleetwood Mac will not be the only band that asked him. So if he plays with them, he sure has good reasons. And if Stevie is one of those reasons - or the major reason, as I, too, would assume - so be it.

My wife suspected already - jokingly - that Stevie hires all the Heartbreakers now, little by little, one after another, until she's finally reached her goal. ;)

13 minutes ago, TwoGunslingers said:

ut does that mean Mike can't ever play with a band like them? He sure has the freedom to do whatever he wants,

My guess and I could be wrong is any criticism is from wanting more Mike-centric efforts like his solo album and the Dirty Knobs.

14 minutes ago, TwoGunslingers said:

My wife suspected already - jokingly - that Stevie hires all the Heartbreakers now, little by little, one after another, until she's finally reached her goal. ;)

That is hilarious! 

cheers!

1 hour ago, TwoGunslingers said:

I always found Crowded House ways worse (no offence to Neil Finn).

:D The same way a crumb may be considered worse than a sandwich. Don't ask me to explain that further... 

That said, speaking for only myself, my intention with any of the above, was not to compare anyone to anything. It was simply to explain why I find FM hugely overrated at this point, since that seems an unrealistic viewpoint to many.

He sure has the freedom to do whatever he wants

He sure has, yes. And again, as far as I'm concerned ,they need him more than he needs them. And he might work wonders with them. Fleetwood Mike! All the better.

1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

That is hilarious! 

As good a joke as that may be, I rather think it's genius thinking on behalf of said wife. Kudos! If that suspicion holds true just in parts, Stevie may soon need FM no more.  Shel'll have the best ever band, all of her own, and the rest of her solo career promise to be back on the very top shelf. Perhaps she could even hire a guy name Stan, then? Now, wouldn't that be poetic justice...

I have thought long and hard about this. 

I learned to play the guitar as a teenager because I was so enamored with the way Lindsey Buckingham played. 

I have seen Fleetwood Mac 13 times with LB.  I have seen 3 of LB's solo tours.  I have seen Stevie quite a few times as well.  I was luck enough to see Tom with Stevie in 2003.

I won't miss this tour either. No question. LB or no LB.

When I first read the news that Lindsey had been fired, I was shocked.  But was it really shocking?  Not really when I thought about it.  I mean, he left FM in 1987 so that he could focus on his music.

He is known to be a temperamental prick.  But I still love his playing.

Enter Mike Campbell and Neil Finn. 

Neil who?  hrrrm. Just kidding.  I know who he is... but woah.. so far out of left field. 

Mike Campbell is one of the most amazing guitar players ever.  That is my opinion.  But he is very different from LB. What would it sound like?  Is this really a good fit?  Does it really make sense?

Then I think about what an amazing opportunity this is for Mike C.  A long and involved, likely 2 year world wide tour.  A great way for him to grow more and maybe heal a little along the way. 

Fleetwood Mac has always EVOLVED.  For more than 50 years now. 

Will they add a Heartbreakers song?  I mean, Stevie already does I Need to Know.  Then there is Stop Dragging My Heart Around.  Mike has been out there singing with The Dirty Knobs quite a bit lately.  Singing TP&TH songs!

I think Waddy Wachtel would have been a better fit than Neil Finn.  But I am guessing Neil Finn was brought in for singing and not guitar.

I know one thing for sure.  I will be going to this show with an open heart and an open mind.

Cheers!

Thea

On 4/9/2018 at 9:20 PM, TomFest said:

This will be interesting - "Fleetwood Mike".  Lindsey Buckingham has quite a different style than most - all fingerpicking, if I'm not mistaken.  I'm sure Mike can handle the guitar work, and it looks like Neil Finn (Crowded  House) will cover Lindsey's vocals.   I suppose tickets will be a small fortune.  As I recall, Fleetwood Mac were the first to break the $100 barrier. 

Yeah.. LB is a fingerpicker.  No picks.  One of the things that I have always loved and admired about him.

Wasn't it The Eagles or Simon and Garfunkel who broke the $100.00 barrier with their reunions?

On 4/10/2018 at 8:26 PM, High Grass Dog said:

I can't see him becoming a permanent member of Fleetwood Mac, if that's even a thing at this point. (They don't really record new albums, and they only tour sporadically.) This could definitely be a one-and-done situation, with the Dirty Knobs finally free to take a bigger role, hopefully with an actual album release, sometime later. That's all just my idle speculation anyway. In the meantime, best of luck to you, MC!

I can see him becoming a full time member if this tour goes well.  Fleetwood Mac has always evolved.  If the shoe fits, I can totally see it.

^ Thanks for sharing insight from being an obviously passionate fan! Although I still don't see how them "always evolving" does apply to any deeper artistic levels in the last 35 years or so, I am always happy to learn, and I sure respect your different opinion. (Realizing how I am a minority in mine.) Must say though, that beyond their music not offering me too much in the last few decades, I also find them to be genuinely egotistical and dislikeable ***holes. In fact, Stevie's relations with the lot - both in general and with LB in particular - remains one of the great mysteries in my life. It doesn't compute. Sure, some of it was different times, it was young passion, creative times. But then what? Sure, all of it was good money. But still the trade-off mystifies me. FM helped Stevie to a career of her own (as much as she, IMHO, helped them to top theirs). But they were also a constant source of abuse to her, as they have been to som many others. Yet she keep loyal. I hope this very thouroughly documentented climate will be something that Mike will handle in his own way and make the best of, rather than being sucked up in and made yet another casualty. I hope he can show them some manners. And some licks. Maybe that is all part of Stevie's plan here. After all there is always hope for everyone, didn't I always use to say that? :) 

7 hours ago, IndigoGypsy13 said:

Wasn't it The Eagles or Simon and Garfunkel who broke the $100.00 barrier with their reunions?

If so, FM must be bummed not to have the record. What about the $1.000.00 barrier?! 10.000.00?? ;) 

I think most of us feel , we wanted Mike to do more .... something big on his own...to break out....he is such an amazing guitarist.  And for many of us , not all , FM....has always been some big side show of the '70s , as big for their off stage antics as their records.  I myself bought the big lp as much for a pic of Stevie as the music.  But that was then.  I was 22.....but now....they just don't get it for me. Individually ,no one makes me sit up as do the heartbreakers....I wanted Mike to do more....to step out...but it's his life...I'd be happy if he had a surf band playing instrumentals...lol.  

10 hours ago, Shelter said:

Must say though, that beyond their music not offering me too much in the last few decades, I also find them to be genuinely egotistical and dislikeable ***holes.

I don't know anything about this band other than whatever popular radio songs I've heard and that one terrible album cover where some tall guy is standing on one foot. Awful. Makes some of TPATH boring album covers look pretty good in comparison. I'll take your word about them being jerks.

But they were also a constant source of abuse to her, as they have been to som many others. Yet she keep loyal. I

Sad to say this isn't an unusual dynamic.

I hope he can show them some manners. And some licks. Maybe that is all part of Stevie's plan here.

My impression is its like when they brought that guy in to play organ or something for the Beatles, all of a sudden everyone was acting with better manners. I figure Mike and the other guy, Finn will have the same impact. But again, I doubt this will go past a tour.

10 hours ago, Timflyte said:

we wanted Mike to do more .... something big on his own...to break out....he is such an amazing guitarist.  ..I'd be happy if he had a surf band playing instrumentals.

I don't know about him breaking out but definitely playing his own music or with the Dirty Knobs with his own personalized take on TPATH songs, all of that to me sounds more interesting and exciting than filling in on some other band.

Maybe Mike misses the buzz of playing huge stadium tours and that huge burst of mass tidal wave energy that playing in front of twenty thousand people can generate. I'm sure that can be an addictive buzz. You don't tend to hear the individual conversations or the inane ramblings of some in a small bar type venue or a couple having a 'domestic' while you're trying to give it your all. I think we have to factor in the stadium dynamic buzz into the reasoning for this as well. 

3 hours ago, dollardime said:

Maybe Mike misses the buzz of playing huge stadium tours and that huge burst of mass tidal wave energy that playing in front of twenty thousand people can generate. I'm sure that can be an addictive buzz. You don't tend to hear the individual conversations or the inane ramblings of some in a small bar type venue or a couple having a 'domestic' while you're trying to give it your all. I think we have to factor in the stadium dynamic buzz into the reasoning for this as well. 

Some musicians say they enjoy the more intimate crowd of a smaller place, certainly after playing arenas and stadiums one would think he'd enjoy the smaller places, it certainly seems like it from Dirty Knobs footage. I'd be surprised if he stays in Fleetwood Mac beyond touring and if so, he'll still do the Knobs and his own music.

cheers

On ‎19‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 10:19 AM, Timflyte said:

I think most of us feel , we wanted Mike to do more .... something big on his own...to break out....he is such an amazing guitarist.  

Mike's never been much of a guitar hero, though. I think he's too humble and maybe too shy to show off. He never did that in TPHB, why would he start now, at almost 70? "Something big on his own" and "breaking out" is just not his style, as we all know.

So here he's given the opportunity to play in a band again, to find his place within songs, among people he likes and respects - one of them Stevie, who, I reckon, would not have taken no for an answer. I totally see why he said yes. ;)

Don't know if you guys saw this on FB and whatnot, but there is talk of an album after the tour and Mike and Neil are now basically full time, full members.  I have to admit getting teary eyed when Stevie spoke at the end.  :(     "Its absolutely a new band"  

Video link below.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/fleetwood-mac-is-moving-forward-as-a-new-band/

8 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

there is talk of an album after the tour and Mike and Neil are now basically full time, full members.  I have to admit getting teary eyed when Stevie spoke at the end.  :(     "Its absolutely a new band" 

Let's wait and see, a lot can happen during a tour. However, if true, this seems disappointing on the surface as I'd much rather have Mike doing his own music and/or with the Dirty Knobs than playing in Fleetwood Mac. But who knows? The two aren't mutually exclusive. Maybe dollardime is correct in that he misses the thrill of the large audience already. Certainly if I recall correctly dollardime was posting about some of Tom's on stage shakiness related to his health just last year.

You know what, this is none of my business; unlike set list discussion, covers vivisection, talking about records, when I read this I feel like you know, maybe this will help Mike. 

I'm vacating this thread.

Peace!

https://news.avclub.com/fleetwood-mac-announces-massive-buckingham-less-north-1825538830

Today, the dates of that tour, featuring The Heartbreakers’ Mike Campbell and Crowded House’s Neil Finn standing in for Buckingham, have been formally announced. Speaking with Rolling Stone, Campbell says the offer to join Fleetwood Mac was a respite from the “dark place” he was in after Tom Petty’s death last year, saying, “I’ve known Stevie for years and we’ve always been very creative together.”

8 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Speaking with Rolling Stone, Campbell says the offer to join Fleetwood Mac was a respite from the “dark place” he was in after Tom Petty’s death last year, saying, “I’ve known Stevie for years and we’ve always been very creative together.”

This was always gonna be at the heart of it.

Still, myself I already am a bit puzzled as to why Stevie herself keeps running with this lot at this point in history. Admittedly, it's complicated. 

As for me, to me Mike may as well have joined a Golf & Country Club. That said, any club should be happy to have him, he is bound to add a nice swing to any round they play.

On 4/20/2018 at 2:52 PM, dollardime said:

Maybe Mike misses the buzz of playing huge stadium tours and that huge burst of mass tidal wave energy that playing in front of twenty thousand people can generate.

On 4/23/2018 at 12:54 PM, TwoGunslingers said:

So here he's given the opportunity to play in a band again, to find his place within songs

To just briefly address these aspects, I think both"reasons" (as if such was needed) are fairly plausible as means of moving on, healing and all that. Like Mike says himself, there wasn't gonna be anything bigger knocking on the door, and big in this case means being sucked up in a new beautiful storm of professional league A+ touring, surely taking his mind off wallowing down Depot Street, as in memory lane, if nothing else. It could even be said to be a "step up", in terms of career, depending on who you ask (unless it's me.) That all makes perfect sense, what with Stevie staying on and all that.

As for tour format, Mike is bound to find other aspects of familiar recognition coming up... After all FM, much like TPATH, are known to keep their set largely intact over the course of a tour, even over the course of a decade or two. A brief look at tour history shows just short of 20 songs that are more than likely to have their moods tried on by Mike on a day-to-day basis. Very comforting situation, I'm sure. Historically, FM's number of mandatory  titles in the set, have even been slightly higher than the double figure number that Mike dealt with riding the road with Tom. On the other hand, FM seem to generally play 4-5 songs longer sets than did TPATH, so.. there is still room for some "strange", even for the fans who have seen FM before. (None of this is to start anything, just saying!) 

An aspect of this may also be that the addition of no less than two new members, with two very significant styles about them, will force (or simply just lead) the band to present a very different set this time, to dig up slightly different material to serve the potential of the new guys, as well as rearrange other titles. Losing someone as distinct as LB and gaining guys like NF and Mike is bound to tear at least some of the paint off the old masterpieces, adding new tint and hue. Not to mention the posibilities for some of their largely overlooked studio material to fly now when Mike's guitar is replacing LB's. I already heard old time FM fans talking about Mike as being a much longed for ticket to FM perhaps playing some more of the Peter Green era stuff again. Wouldn't Man of The World make a nice fit for Neil and Mike?

Now, I can hear Mike make a mean Albatross....

After watching the interview, I think its great Mike is joining FM. I think Mike prefers his role as lead guitarist and knows hes good at it. He can always do Dirty Knobs stuff, but its not the same. Hes making the most of this opportunity and we all get to see him more! I do wonder if he felt any responsibility to the other Heartbreakers and if he discussed this decision with any of them. 

I'm just guessing , but the heartbreakers , must've had a business meeting.  Such a tight outfit , just doesn't say , we lost our singer, writer ,let's give up.   Maybe take a break , do some solo stuff , and regroup in a year or so.  Or maybe they did decide , it's over. A long run , but let's go out on top.   Mike seemed happy in the news report.  Only time will tell.  Maybe FM will be bigger and better than ever ? Who knows.