Timflyte

So Mike is in Fleetwood Mac ?

On 4/10/2018 at 10:26 PM, High Grass Dog said:

Hmmm, well this is interesting! I definitely did not see this coming, and I wonder how this came together because I can't see MC seeking this out actively. Knowing how close he and Stevie are, and their respective personalities (Stevie is a clear alpha and MC more laid back), I wonder if it was a case of Stevie asking him for a personal favor, and MC going along with it. It will certainly be a unique and new challenge for MC, which he will no doubt ace, and I'm curious to see it play out. I can't see him becoming a permanent member of Fleetwood Mac, if that's even a thing at this point. (They don't really record new albums, and they only tour sporadically.) This could definitely be a one-and-done situation, with the Dirty Knobs finally free to take a bigger role, hopefully with an actual album release, sometime later. That's all just my idle speculation anyway. In the meantime, best of luck to you, MC!

This is kind of what I assumed, too. 

I'm not much of a concert goer (I don't do large crowds, the walking, etc).
I love the old Peter Green Fleetwood Mac and I like some Nicks/Buckingham Fleetwood Mac, but not really enough to see them live. 

6 hours ago, Liberty said:

This is kind of what I assumed, too. 

I'm not much of a concert goer (I don't do large crowds, the walking, etc).
I love the old Peter Green Fleetwood Mac and I like some Nicks/Buckingham Fleetwood Mac, but not really enough to see them live. 

that and I can only imagine the cost of tickets for this will be astronomical, I was OK paying for expensive tickets for Tom and the boys but I'd safely guess the FM tour will be at least as expensive if not more so...  :( It would be interesting for me to see Mike backing such a well know group but I dont see me ponying up for this one.   

^ I saw FM during the Rumours era (my sister had an extra ticket). Even though they were arguably at the height of their popularity, and even though I really liked that album, it was one of the most boring shows I ever attended. No way I would pay to see them.

I agree with TomFest and others; I think it's highly likely that Stevie was involved in this.

I'd love to go see them if they came to my area for one reason and one reason only - just to see Mike and watch him play that guitar in person.   But I think I've already mentioned on here what I think about the cost of concert tickets these days.  :blink::blink::wacko:

For real you guys?  Fleetwood Mac is a great band!  I too may get offended by the concert ticket prices but I will go see them if I can.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they are going to do.  Just MC with Mick and John alone are going to make a great sound!  I don't think I know much about Finn.  

23 minutes ago, Marion said:

For real you guys?  Fleetwood Mac is a great band!  I too may get offended by the concert ticket prices but I will go see them if I can.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they are going to do.  Just MC with Mick and John alone are going to make a great sound!  I don't think I know much about Finn.  

I would hazard a guess you have heard Crowded House at some point in time on the radio.  Even if you didn't know it was them. they had a decent string of hits back in the late eighties early nineties.  He has a decent voice but I cant imagine him singing Lindsey's bits from what I know of FM.  Don't dream its over and Something so strong were two of the bigger hits for them. 

3 hours ago, Marion said:

For real you guys?  Fleetwood Mac is a great band!  I too may get offended by the concert ticket prices but I will go see them if I can.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they are going to do.

Marion, have you seen them live in recent years? Maybe their live show has improved since the Rumours tour (?).

You know thinking about it, last time I saw them live was 1997 and they were so good!  And I have the DVD video, The Dance from that tour that I watch every so often. That is how I remember them.  It seems like I have another video too but The Dance is the one I watch most often. 

7 hours ago, wild1forever said:

No way I would pay to see them.

Verily thou speakest the truth.

Since myself not liketh them at all, I've no interest in any of this yet commenteth away nonethelesseth.

I could be wrong but perhaps Mike needs this, to get out there and play music, whatever intraband politics there are don't concern him. Maybe after this he'll focus on the Unclean Handles.

cheers

5 hours ago, Marion said:

Marion, if you want to get familiar with Neil Finn's music, I recommend the 7 Worlds Collide dvd. It is out of production but readily available on eBay. Just a really great show with appearances by Eddie Vedder and Johnny Marr.. 

5 hours ago, Marion said:

5 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I would hazard a guess you have heard Crowded House at some point in time on the radio.  Even if you didn't know it was them. they had a decent string of hits back in the late eighties early nineties.  He has a decent voice but I cant imagine him singing Lindsey's bits from what I know of FM.  Don't dream its over and Something so strong were two of the bigger hits for them. 

Neil’s previous band had a minor US hit with this. Split Enz broke big in Canada, but never quite managed to really crack the US market.

I don't know the ins and outs as to why Buckingham won't be on the tour but greatly respect his musical abilities. I do know that the addition of Mike and Neil Finn will personally speaking greatly enhance the live Mac experience. Mac have many great songs and whatever one may think about the band/brand dynamics as a collection of musicians together on the stage Mick, John, Christine, Mike, Neil and Stevie will sure make a great live experience. If you take it from the perspective of going to hear a lot of great songs played greatly (if you can afford to go...I know the tickets will probably cost an arm and a leg) then it will be a great concert experience. Die hard Mac fans will I'm sure have a lot of mixed feelings about the line up changes and Buckingham's absence as any die hard fans of any band do but I for one will be following this closely and look forward to seeing how this all gels together.

Crowded House were one of my favourite bands and I followed them closely in the 90's. Their farewell show from Sydney in 1994/5 is well worth checking out. Neil Finn is a great singer and will definitely enhance the vocal delivery on many Mac songs. My own view is that Buckingham and Nick's vocals on the last couple of tours were not as strong as previously so Neil vocally will add a lot and enhance the show vocally. I still have reservations about Nicks capacity to deliver live vocally at this point in time but it is what it is, judging by the last couple of tours...and indeed with the Heartbreakers at Hyde Park last year. That's no disrespect to Stevie...vocal capacity changes with age....Christine McVies vocals have held up a bit better latterly in my view.

I've always liked drum/bass dynamic between John McVie and Mick Fleetwood and the addition of Mike fascinates me. I can't wait to see how he plays Macs songs. So again musically there is a lot to excite me about this.

Of course, I'd like Mike to release his album and continue to make his own original music and curate archive Heartbreakers releases of buried treasure stuff down the line/more Dirty Knobs/more collaborations.

It may be heresy to actually think or say it but the thought occurs to me that Neil Finn doing vocals with the Heartbreakers would work exceptionally well musically...now I'm not necessarily saying that he would/should sing Tom's songs but The Heartbreakers doing Neil Finn songs would work musically. Yes, I know it's a whole can of worms about what can work musically and what is right and proper artistically, morally, band of brothers, respect and decency. The music business is full of murky and blurred lines....I'm just thinking out loud here for what it's worth. :)

Anyway, best of luck to Mike with The Mac tour! It's a great creative outlet to play those classic songs and I'm sure Mike will ace it!

13 hours ago, bonddm said:

Neil’s previous band had a minor US hit with this. Split Enz broke big in Canada, but never quite managed to really crack the US market.

:lol:  I bought that album back in the day just for this song.

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane. 

19 hours ago, bonddm said:

Love that song and Split Enz was a good new wave band, though more of his older brother Tim's thing than Neil's. That song was the first song I remember my dad asking me to download for him off of Napster back in 1999 lol. And everyone knows Crowded House, "Don't Dream It's Over" was an even bigger hit

Not much of a fan of Fleetwood Mac but after reading that MC has joined them for the upcoming tour I saw this documentary and was surprised to see a short comment from Tom. Maybe you've all seen it before but in case you haven't, here's the link (at 1.15):

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 10:44 PM, Marion said:

For real you guys?  

Yes. For real! :)

I admit, that they are, and most always have been, a great band, in a technical sense. They are also a band that you are suppose to be very much respectful of. If you own a tie, it's always a good idea to sport it. Ok. I'm being a bit silly here. But just a little bit. And just for effect. The truth is not too far off, as I'm sure some will agree. 

To be serious. to me personally FM haven't really.. well.. they haven't transmit much ,since those last fading "signals of importance" that can be heard - if one knows where to listen - on Mirage and Tango In The Night. (And that was 1987? They've done what.. like two or three albums since then...? The last one some 15 years ago? And none of them good...? How's that for a devastating blow in the fight against being labeled nostalgia act??) I just don't hear the soul and the beating heart in their music anymore, and I haven't in a long time. I just haven't heard them being at it, live or otherwise, for the right reasons, with the right pulse, so to speak, in soooo long. They play great, and they do have songs that are, some of them, fantastic old museum pieces! That's it! That can take them far in the ticket selling game. But that doesn't cut it for me, though, sorry.

Should say, though, I do have great admiration for the run of albums that was  the s.c "White Album", Rumors and Tusk. Albums that are hard to ignore for any person with an ear to music. These - as I see it - are albums that are both technically awesome, deeply fascinating, ultra strong in character and heavy with soul. They are simply hard to ignore. I also think that some of the prehistoric Peter Green era stuff was great (if somewhat overrated in the history books). Last but not least, I do have great admiration for many of the accomplishments of some of the FM members over the years. Most notably of course, Stevie, who, upon being put on her own feet (and partly in the hands of Iovine, Tom and the Heartbreakers) in about 1980, went on to create some truly magical stuff that really soars above most competition, her former and future mother ship included. 

Now, not even Stevie - who I think the word of and hold very high - have managed to stay quite at that magical level for very long at a time. But she at least have been there, now and then, ever since the start. She never quite lost that aura and urgency, that make it feels like it matters, like she will strike you senseless again. And that to me is what fails FM. I have long since stopped hoping that they will hit a vein again. They are simply way too comfortable for their own artistic legacy. Or rather, they are their legacy, no more. For one thing, I'm not sure they have ever been more than briefly up to Stevie's level or potential, anyway - other than in certain songs, of course. But what's worse, as far as I know they haven't really felt like they matter one single time since the late 80s. It seems to me someone put the whole vehicle in an eternal rear view mirror mode, a long time ago. And perfect as they may sound, year after years, just cause they are legends, *ss first is how they travel now. Aura, yes perhaps! But no sense of urgency, what so ever. At least none that I can smell. Again, I really hope MC can recharge all this and tilt the perspectives, make something new and exciting happen, finally. I trust him to make a big difference with rather small measures, as always. I will be more than happy to mark an end to what I have just described, what will perhaps, in the true history books, be known as "31 Years of Darkness".

But I won't hold my breath, no. That's just me. But, yes, it's for real.    

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

They are also a band that you are suppose to be very much respectful of.

I don't.

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

Or rather, they are their legacy, no more. For one thing, I'm not sure they have ever been more than briefly up to Stevie's level or potential, anyway - other than in certain songs, of course. But what's worse, as far as I know they haven't really felt like they matter one single time since the late 80s. It seems to me someone put the whole vehicle in an eternal rear view mirror mode, a long time ago.

I don't listen to them, I can't say if this is accurate or not but it does put a little perspective on TPATH. While I feel they largely have albums of good songs and filler songs, a solid good e.p. hidden within each record, they did seem to keep pushing forward musically, Echo is unlike She's the One, which is different from Mojo and Hypnotic Eye.

cheers