Timflyte

So Mike is in Fleetwood Mac ?

This will be interesting - "Fleetwood Mike".  Lindsey Buckingham has quite a different style than most - all fingerpicking, if I'm not mistaken.  I'm sure Mike can handle the guitar work, and it looks like Neil Finn (Crowded  House) will cover Lindsey's vocals.   I suppose tickets will be a small fortune.  As I recall, Fleetwood Mac were the first to break the $100 barrier. 

Edited by TomFest
sp.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I would rather see Mike take the Dirty Knobs further but still, I know it's gonna be good any way you look at it! I would go see the show!  

I never thought I'd see the day that Shelter was speechless!  😲

Hmmm, well this is interesting! I definitely did not see this coming, and I wonder how this came together because I can't see MC seeking this out actively. Knowing how close he and Stevie are, and their respective personalities (Stevie is a clear alpha and MC more laid back), I wonder if it was a case of Stevie asking him for a personal favor, and MC going along with it. It will certainly be a unique and new challenge for MC, which he will no doubt ace, and I'm curious to see it play out. I can't see him becoming a permanent member of Fleetwood Mac, if that's even a thing at this point. (They don't really record new albums, and they only tour sporadically.) This could definitely be a one-and-done situation, with the Dirty Knobs finally free to take a bigger role, hopefully with an actual album release, sometime later. That's all just my idle speculation anyway. In the meantime, best of luck to you, MC!

At first I thought: Wow, great, good for Fleetwood Mac, you know? Campbell and Finn... not a bad addition to the lineup!

But then I saw they fired Buckingham. Now THAT I find rather strange. Why, on earth? After all this time? They still seem to dwell on whatever hurt feelings have piled up over the years. Sad.

5 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

But then I saw they fired Buckingham. Now THAT I find rather strange. Why, on earth? 

Yeah, right. When they just could have fired him into space. 

On a somewhat more serious note, though.... hasn't LB been in and out of this band more often than some bands plug in and out their guitars? I mean, in total? For a certain period in FM life, a long time ago, LB certainly was an essential addition to the FM vision - I mean, for a short while he WAS the vision (or at least the only one who really saw it, until it materialized in the shape of Tusk). But for most parts, I think he has been, and certainly now he is, somewhat dispensable.

But that's the thing with this band, for me. They are all dispensable. Save perhaps for Mac himself, and Stevie, on a good run. They are their cataloge, their legacy. And that's it. Personally, I'm not sure this band has anything to say anymore, to anyone without an inside stock market connection and a tie. I think they are basically nothing but a very expensive traveling nostalgia pacakge at this point.

That said, it took some time to get used to the idea of MC in this group. And I really hope MC joining them now, could change some of all the above mentioned aspects. Seems to me, that from an artistically credible - and hair do - perspective, these days they need him more than he needs them. But that's me. I hope he will add some new spark and edge to the revue again, anyway.

I am, like Marion, also not at all sure MC would accept this challenge for money reasons. He might do it for "legacy" reasons. After all a FM tour is another mammoth to put on the resume. (And save for the odd chance that Mick and Keef would call, this may be one of his last chances at touring quite this big, playing quite this high profile, commercially.)  He might do it as a favor to Stevie and Mac, of course, as has been noted. Him liking FM music may be a precondition, but him wanting to run som rust off, to go out and play these really big shows again, may also be part of it. 

Who knows. There may be many reasons. What people seem to miss, it seems, from reading about this all over the web - the nays and yays - is that this is a tour gig, right?! He is listed as an official member of FM at their wikipedia entry already, but I was under the impression from early statements that he was hired to handle guitar duties on this upcoming tour period. Anyone who knows for sure? Short term, the distcinction may be pointless. Long term.. I'm personally not sure I am that happy to see MC end up as a steady FM member, tours or even possible (if unlikely) albums to come. I was kinda hoping he'd go in a less polished direction, so to speak. Working with.. well, grittier... people, perhaps more contemporary acts.. And perhaps especially that he would exploring and expanding on his own song writing and lead duties in the studio, with Dirty Knobs or the likes of them.   

At least the addition of MC ensures that I will follow this tour a bit more closely than I normally would've. That's something.

April 11, 2018

Statement from Mike Campbell on joining Fleetwood Mac

Statement from Mike Campbell on joining Fleetwood Mac:

"Though I was sad to hear Lindsey Buckingham is no longer with Fleetwood Mac, I am honored and excited to join the band. Lindsey is one of my favorite musical artists. A true genius at songwriting and guitar playing. I intend to honor his songs while at the same time bring my musicality to the band. After one rehearsal I can tell it’s going to be an amazing collaboration. I am also very happy to have an opportunity to play with Neil Finn, who I greatly admire. Fleetwood Mac not only has one of the greatest rhythm sections in rock history, it also has two of the finest voices and songwriters in Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie. I am looking forward to the tour with great anticipation."

Mike%20Campbell%20%28Pamela%20Littky%29.

I am quite disappointed, I must admit, just from where I am standing. Shelter said it well, so I won't spend long writing about it, but for one I was really hopeful that Mike will be... well, free. That Mike will go a total free creative way, into the grittier, rockier sound. Just working with different, talented people, stretching out, being his fantastic creative self. I also understood this as just joining for the tour... and I hope that will end up being the case. Because, really: petty (pun not intended) full of drama band on one hand that (to me) has not sounded anywhere near great since Peter Green's exit - on another, a creative, off the wall humble artist that spent 40 years being loyal, discreet and kind. I just don't get it, and it makes me cranky. 

I don't love this news. I get that Mike would like to move on to another gig, but I would rather have seen him team up with someone like Slash (who appeared at a couple of Dirty Knobs shows) rather than Fleetwood Mac. At least Slash is cool.

I have to agree with Shelter that FM is "basically nothing but a very expensive traveling nostalgia package at this point."

I don't think I like this too much.  Mike's better than that.  It's not that I didn't really like FM at one time, it's just that I really do think that Mike is way better than being a second fiddle in FM.

Wonder if Stevie had anything to do with this turn of events.

I do wonder why he's doing this.  I don't think his petty cash box is collecting cobwebs or that the taxman is at his door, so it can't be because he needs the money.

Maybe he thinks it's something Tom would have wanted him to do.

Who knows. 

Seems kind of silly to fire Lyndsey at this late stage of the game though. I mean, how many more years can the band possibly have left?  Any one of them can kick the bucket at any time.  Isn't Stevie around 70?  Touring is very stressful, and none of them are spring chickens anymore.

Isn't this just a one time touring thing? I'm sure focusing on his own music and with the Knobs is his priority as well as at some point in the future, doing what he needs to do regarding future TPATH archive releases.

This sounds like he knows Stevie and others in the band and wants to help out as well as being out there playing. Maybe it helps with the grief to a degree as well. I'd be surprised if this lasted more than a tour.

cheers

Having seen Neil Finn in concert, I think he and Mike working together could be a very good thing. Neil is a great songwriter, competent guitarist, and a good singer. Personally, I would like to see Mike and Neil with the rest of the Heartbreakers instead of FM but this new incarnation of FM may work out really well. I think this is way more than Mike and Neil just filling in on a FM greatest hits tour. I suspect there will be a lot of synergy between Mike and Neil in terms of both performing and song writing.

11 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

It seems a bit odd though, one would think after being in the Heartbreakers that his focus would be on his own music and/or with the Dirty Knobs, not jumping into an established band. Who knows?

Mega tour with a very popular band -- I doubt these opportunities come along very often. And I don't  think Mike is doing this for the money.

I think there's a possibility Mike and Neil could take FM to a new level while still paying homage to the FM catalog. I don't see Mike and Neil being just hired hands for a FM tour.  With these two guys onboard, this band has a LOT of talent to draw from.