Sign in to follow this  
Rick

TP in new Elvis Doc

Just heard there's going to be an album called The Searcher released to coincide with this documentary. Tom & The Heartbreakers contribute Wooden Heart..it's very much a plaintive mellow acoustic guitar led version with tender vocal feel delivery by Tom with some unobtrusive keyboards and not much else by way of instrumentation, sure sounds like a fairly recent latter day vocal take by Tom when I heard it played on the Newstalk radio station in Ireland last night. Don't know when it was actually recorded though. ☺

Hello! Bump. Watched this on DVD during weekend & very much enjoyed the experience. A lot of people (as well asTom Petty) contribute ideas & opinions & analysis. Whoever created this (editors? directors?) weave these all together into a shared conversational narrative over the footage of Elvis.  (Not just one person narrating plus some extra experts.) Bruce, Priscilla, Tom, everyone else, we hear you have much to say on the topic of Elvis' music? Here's your chance to really get into it.

They go deep. Fascinating. 

• Question for you all. Wooden Heart plays as one of the final songs as the documentary wraps up. Who's playing - Elvis 👑or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' 💘cover? (Without checking google or the DVD case, I'm betting it's TPATH. Actually, I sat bolt upright on the sofa! But I don't have keenly-trained musician ears.)
  • Sure, okay, cover's on soundtrack cd as discussed above.
  • But which version plays in the actual documentary? 

On 6/10/2019 at 8:43 PM, Big Blue Sky said:

Wooden Heart plays as one of the final songs as the documentary wraps up. Who's playing - Elvis 👑or Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' 💘cover?

It's TP, and also on Playback. If you watch carefully, they re-ran the closing credits to accompany the song. Probably in tribute to Tom. If he hadn't passed before it was released, I don't think it would have been on there. 

Fantastic documentary. Best one on Elvis I've seen. Loved that Tom talked so much throughout.

Related... 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/tom-petty-picks-elvis-presley-songs-that-influenced-his-music-201076

Basically, Rolling Stone asked Tom Petty & so he listed his 10 Favorite Elvis Presley Songs: 

01.'That's All Right' - 1954
02.'Baby, Let's Play House' - 1955
03.'Heartbreak Hotel' 1956
04.'Hound Dog' - 1956
05.'Mean Woman Blues' - 1957
06.'One Night' 1958
07.'Santa Claus Is Back In Town' - 1957
08.'Can't Help Falling In Love' - 1961
09.'A Mess Of Blues' - 1960
10.'(Marie's The Name Of) His Latest Flame' - 1961

15 hours ago, knebworth_1978 said:

If you watch carefully, they re-ran the closing credits to accompany the song.

You seem pretty certain. ;)  Evidence please... Can you maybe create a little bit of footage showing what you mean about them re-running the closing credits to accompany Wooden Heart? Or describe the moment to look out for?

FYI it's actually not listed in IMBD ("Tom Petty's music that's used in soundtracks" part of his IMBD entry) & that's usually pretty comprehensive. :huh:

Just now, knebworth_1978 said:

Sure. Watch the end credits from the beginning. You'll see the executive producer, producer, director, etc., listed separately on the screen. Then just listen for Elvis' "Power Of My Love" and maybe another Elvis song (can't remember) end. Right when Tom's "Wooden Heart" cover starts, you'll begin to see the executive producer, producer, director, listed separately on the screen...again. Keep watching. They proceed to re-list everybody--I think.  If you have a stopwatch, you could start timing at the beginning of Elvis' song or songs, stop, reset, and time Tom's.

IMDB has left me :huh: a few times. I thought all the info was coming from a central source. But they appreciate/rely (?) on user input. I've sent corrections to them a few times. (Not TP-related.) You're the one that noticed/thought of checking Tom's page--you tell 'em! B)