Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Question of the day 3/28/18

I actually had a 12 string set of Tom's once (used and supposedly authentic), that I bought for charity from the Tazzyfund. I am sure I have no idea what they are and how to tell, but I can have a look.

I also have a set of 6strings used by Mike and a much treasured 6string set used by Tom, but that won't help you, hu :)

In a 1986 interview, Tom had this to say:

I don't have the faintest idea what my strings are. Bugs [guitar technician Alan Weidel] puts them on. I don't like to change strings very often. On my electric, I don't like to change them the whole tour. I never let them change strings on my 12-string -- ever. A lot of people don't understand how to make a 12-string work. They are always up there nosing around, trying to figure out what I'm doing to it. Nick Lowe used to be up there every night, thinking that I had some little box somewhere; it was a running joke. But all it is is an AC30 and a very old Rickenbacker. I'm not doing anything to it; it's just the way I play it. But if you put new strings on a guitar like that, there's no way you're going to control them, because they are very thin and they spread out. But when the strings are really old and thick and dead, you get that thickness. My strings are awful -- an embarrassment, really.

I'm afraid this isn't much help, though.