Wildflower

First gig in England?

They opened for Nils Lofgren at the Capitol Theater in Cardiff on May 8, 1977, although that's in Wales. The first date in England itself was in Lancaster University, Lancaster, the following day.

Unless I'm mistaken, their first UK date as headliners was at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in Manchester, on June 12, 1977. Furthermore, their appearance on Top of the Pops was broadcasted on the 16th and may have been recorded before that, though I'm not quite sure that counts as 'live'.

^ I managed to win an eBay auction last year for a used ticket of the Manchester gig on June 12th 1977☺Their next gig after that Manchester gig was the Rockpalast TV show in Germany which is out there on YouTube and one of my top top favorite live footage of the band. Hungry kids pouring blood sweat tears and restless energetic talent into every note. I wasn't even born then but that era of the band holds a special place in my heart.

Sometimes I regret that I was born a few decades too late to see Petty and the Heartbreakers at their prime.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia for you, however - since Rockpalast was broadcast in Europe, it uses PAL standards, which is 25 frames per second. NTSC standards, which is used over here in North America, runs at 29.97 FPS.

This means that the audio is actually 4% faster than it would be if broadcast in the US. It's one of those things that had puzzled me for some time, why the videos from the UK and Europe sounded a bit different than the North American ones.

10 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

I've lost my hat. You wouldn't have happened to seen it anywhere?

Nah. Did you check the big old coffer chest at your front stage left? I thought we all had them...

Hmm.. well.. I find the most annoying thing to be how that intro riff to Don't Come Around Here No More always starts as soon as the lid is lifted the slightest..