Sign in to follow this  
Thelonious

Steve Ferrone: Six or seven albums to come

Quote by Ferrone at the link:

"There's probably like six or seven albums that just haven't been released yet," Ferrone said. "There's a live album we recorded. Both stadium shows that we did last year. When I first joined the band, we played up at Fillmore West. We did a month run up there. And there's an album that's sitting there. There'll be a couple of albums sitting there from that. There's a whole new album that he finished up with outtakes from Wildflowers. That was the first album I started recording with the Heartbreakers."

That is interesting. Seemingly confirms that there is a bunch of live stuff in the can. However, I hope there is more studio stuff in there as well (besides the Wildflowers stuff). There must be at least an album's worth of material recorded from The Last DJ/Mojo/Hypnotic Eye sessions that was left off each of those albums, not to mention aborted sessions for never-finished albums over the last 10–15 years.

It's usually best not to get one's hopes up too high in this kind of situation. People have been waiting for All the Rest for years and it hasn't come out yet. But it will, it sounds like it's done, there's probably some artwork and maybe liner notes from people talking about the session and the record company thinking of the best way to maximize profits but in one form or another I think All The Rest will definitely be released; it's the companion to WF which some consider his best album, how could it not? 

3 hours ago, High Grass Dog said:

There's a live album we recorded. Both stadium shows that we did last year.

It sounds like a live compilation album from the stadium shows. Too bad the interviewer didn't clarify some of this.

3 hours ago, High Grass Dog said:

When I first joined the band, we played up at Fillmore West. We did a month run up there. And there's an album that's sitting there.

Another live album best of the fillmore or albums based on the Fillmore shows? Is Steve privy to earlier plans or is this just his speculation?

I think live releases really have to carefully considered as there's potential for a lot of repeated songs. The fillmore shows have some deep cuts but those are interspersed amongst the usual songs; aside from completists, I think a best of fillmore is a good way to go mainly comprising the deep cuts and best performances; there were some really good It's Good To Be Kings and Mary Jane's from those shows. Maybe it'll be a box set.

The last show has the weight of being the last show and I think would have quite the audience.

Is there a point of diminishing returns for live records for TPATH because of the set lists? Maybe, I don't know. 

Beyond All the Rest, who knows? There's probably a lot of unreleased music that will eventually be compiled and released. And more live albums over the years. Maybe if the band has a huge say in what comes out they can make sure there aren't redundant releases or an album with that one unreleased song tagged on.

Compiled songs could be grouped together by date and session or tracked by what makes for the best listening experience as an album; I've a feeling Mike and Ben would lean more towards the latter than the former but either way they'll be some more music.

I guess it would stink if people had high hopes for imminent albums and to be let down waiting.

All The Rest/Live albums/Unreleased studio tracks.

They'll get out there but who knows when.

Thanks for posting this.

cheers

3 hours ago, Thelonious said:

Can't imagine, they'll put out 5 live albums... 

That's a lot, perhaps spaced out over years, I could see multiple live releases. This is just speculation but probably a lot of compilations instead of complete shows, though I think the last show would be released as is with maybe three extra bonus tracks, so one would get everything they played over those three nights (Breakdown, Wide Open, You Got Lucky, I think).

cheers

9 hours ago, Thelonious said:

Thanks for posting this. Aside from potential releases I think it was interesting and commendable per Steve, how Tom kept things together and fostered a sense of community between band and crew. Perhaps another reason for him wanting to see the tour through with a lot of peoples' paychecks dependent on him and the band.

I'm glad Tom sidestepped the politics, I think musicians can be as outspoken as they want on politics, it's just nice to have an artistic break, where the art (be it music, book, movie etc.) deals with the universal human interactions and feelings and thoughts, the meaning o life and love and not the political lines that so often divide people.

cheers

Well, Tom's never been a great archivist of his own work, unlike Old Neil or Boss Bruce.

So either archive releases, be it live or studio, come out faster in the future or even slower than they did in the past....

Call me cynical if you will - but will we all live to see the release of All The Rest???

1 minute ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Well, Tom's never been a great archivist of his own work, unlike Old Neil or Boss Bruce

Although he outneiled and outbruced both of them with the Live Anthology. But that was an exception. There are no anniversary editions of Damn The Torpedoes or Full Moon Fever, of Wildflowers or ITGWO.... with making of-films and outtakes and live footage....

So who knows what will happen to those live albums Ferrone mentions.

8 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

There are no anniversary editions of Damn The Torpedoes or Full Moon Fever, of Wildflowers or ITGWO.... with making of-films and outtakes and live footage....

They did a re-release of Damn the Torpedoes with 9 extra tracks. 

Overall, I'm not a fan of that  just release outtakes and live footage or whatever as its own project who wants to buy the record again. 

On ‎03‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 2:48 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

They did a re-release of Damn the Torpedoes with 9 extra tracks. 

Right, I keep forgetting about that one. IMO, it just wasn't... enough.

On ‎03‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 2:48 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Overall, I'm not a fan of that  just release outtakes and live footage or whatever as its own project who wants to buy the record again. 

Oh, I'm definitely a fan of that format as long as it gives you enough interesting material. DTT was such an important album, they could have at least included that Classic Albums-doc in the package (ok, most of the time there are legal issues), concert footage from the tour on DVD, all the tracks in live versions... SOMETHING. :lol:

10 hours ago, martin03345 said:

No offense, why would ITGWO get a re-release? Unless that bonus disc as the outtakes from the abandoned 1993 HB album, I'd easily say no thank you lol

Weeell... maybe because it was a highly successful album thanks to singles Learning to Fly and the title track? Maybe not so much in the US, but in Europe. Would have made for a nice bundle: original album, extra disc with outtakes and/or B-sides, or maybe two discs of the Take The Highway Live concerts; plus a BluRay or DVD containing the videos for the singles and Take The Highway Live, of course. I could not say no to such an offering. :lol:

No matter the extras, I am a born sceptic when it comes to repackaging, remasters and the likes. Actual substantial and generous amounts of unreleased studio recordings that clearly belongs to the era/sessions is a minimum requirement for me. Random live versions, tour documents or films that are better off released in their own name is just annoying when packed with an album. DTT deluxe was borderline in that sense. "Wasn't.... enough" indeed.

I much rather have archival releases focusing completely on unreleased stuff, presented thematically in separate instalments (Dylan Bootleg Series style, like I use to bring up....). Within such context I would appreciate a lot of live shows or themes, but I would still be a lot more focused on unreleased studio stuff and demos. After all, a closet of bootlegs is a lot of work to replace for very little effect, while what is news is news. And again... rereleasing the same albums again and again, regardless of swag...is... well... lame. 

Theoretically something like this:

All The Rest either as its own album, mixed in with Wildflowers or both options.

An album of one or two (or three...!) collections of unreleased material, put in an order that flows like an album regardless of when each was recorded. What works best as a collection of songs, with a nice booklet detailing any stories related to the tracks. This can include hard to find b-sides etc. but most of all, the tracks left off albums. Like another Through the Cracks.

A live album of their last night performing as a band with a few bonus tracks that were played the other nights at the Hollywood Bowl and from the other parts of the tour (Swingin', jam into Carol etc.).

A live box set of the best of the Fillmore shows from 97 with an eye towards deep cuts and special performances, making sure that if songs repeat from the Live Anthology it's because they were noteworthy.

The occasional free online download show from the band with good quality, perhaps at least one or two from each tour, a simple thank you to the fans.

Like dollardime suggested, rehearsals, spontaneous covers, etc. shared with fans as free downloads.

All of this spaced out with All The Rest being first priority and then the unreleased studio tracks.

To that I would like to add.. that when it comes to Wildflowers, I could live with a certain amount of "repackaging", of the same old stuff being released again.

For one thing. After all, it was meant to be a double and it would be cool to hear it the way it was originally planned.

And, as for "All The Rest", they may either focus on the "Rest" part, skipping all the previously released stuff and making it a companion type album of strictly unreleased highlights, or focus on the "All" part, making it complete sessions. Both of which is fine. But I fear their urge to make it something else. We will see. Perhaps.

6 hours ago, Shelter said:

To that I would like to add.. that when it comes to Wildflowers, I could live with a certain amount of "repackaging", of the same old stuff being released again

Understood. This is a different case than just throwing on some random b-sides or unreleased tracks. It seems like a project that was important to Tom per the interviews.

Even if they mix in All The Rest tracks the original album still exists.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a combo, here's the album as Tom originally conceived it and here's All The Rest for those who want to keep them separate.

It'll be interesting to read the reviews on here when this is released.

cheers

On ‎05‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 3:04 PM, Shelter said:

Random live versions, tour documents or films that are better off released in their own name is just annoying when packed with an album.

I'm not talking random stuff here. Releasing Take The Highway Live in a package with ITGWO - to dwell on that a bit more - would be historically consistent, wouldn' it? It's a snapshot of that tour, and it was their last big one for a decade or so. 

Similarly, they could have saved 400 days for a release of All The Rest, instead of "hiding" it - in somewhat random fashion, I might add - in the Live Anthology.

What saves re-releases from being nothing more than selling the same old stuff for more money is when an album gets contextualized with its time: how it came about, how it was recorded, what came immediately after the original release. (Would have been interesting with Full Moon Fever, too; although that story may have been told often enough. Or Mojo, perhaps, as the odd one out.)

400 days does that for Wildflowers already, it shows both the context of its creation and its rebirth, if you will, on stage. But instead of releasing it together with that album - because the film really makes one curious about the album - and adding outtakes, B-sides, well, All The Rest, they put it in the Anthology. A missed chance, imho.

So... I don't know how much we can actually expect from future (live) releases... apart from being nothing more than regular albums (only without new songs, probably). For other artists, that might be just fine. But Petty was too important, too big.

5 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Releasing Take The Highway Live in a package with ITGWO - to dwell on that a bit more - would be historically consistent, wouldn' it?

Certainly. Nevertheless. IMO it would take major amounts of session outtakes, extensive notes, perhaps demos and/or some documentary photage, for such a ITGWO/TTH release not to be a pointless repackaging double, a twofer if you will. That is, I am sick and tired of the business standard gimmick of re-releasing stuff as soon as one blinks an eye, either with no extras (save for a sound that at least theoretically is better than the last one) or one or three "new" songs. I already have both five or six different formats and editions of ITGWO and two different format copies of TTH and if that is all the material that I am gonna have to work with, I can perfectly well construct my own context. (Or another example: as is the case with Pack Up The Plantation, the video, the LP and the CD all have slightly different tracklists and running orders, so a certain work is actually needed if you want the "complete experience". I still say I rather do that work myself than have a it all released again, back to back as a LP+2LP+DVD with Southern Accents.) I basically think that repackaging, other than in rare exceptions of complete (or next to complete) sessions boxes that would (in your words) indeed "contextualize releases with its time" in a major way, that adds something substantial to what we already know and have. But that is me. I see it as a matter of prioritizing and previously unreleased stuff always is much higher prio, by multiple exponent, in my book. (And again.. I too love context! But then I need it to be a real and vast and generous context at that.)

Like I mentioned, in the case of Wildflowers, recreating the original double album idea (as far as LPs are concerned, it already is a double) is also something that could potentially "excuse" the major rehashing it could become. Such a release would make for something new and interesting, it would add at least some context and be of great historical interest - even if only half, or less than half of it would be new songs. 

If I had the choice between such an outline of All The Rest, and a complete sessions type release (that would excuse the reruns of 15 songs even more, I think), my choice would be the latter. Of course. And if I got to choose between the original concept finally being released and a separate single disc of the "best of the outtakes"... I would be at odds.. likely choosing the one that had the most number of unheard recordings on it. I guess there is many ways to do this, but I guess you catch my general drift here. I love stuff to be as complete and contextualized as possible, but I think some ways are nicer than others, to say the least. 

Besides... I don't get to choose. I will take what will come, if it comes. Even if it will be a semi sucky "DTT Delux" type of WIldflowers, that besides the same old album adds four new songs, some demos and live versions... speaking of which..  

5 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Similarly, they could have saved 400 days for a release of All The Rest, instead of "hiding" it - in somewhat random fashion, I might add - in the Live Anthology.

---

400 days does that for Wildflowers already, it shows both the context of its creation and its rebirth, if you will, on stage. But instead of releasing it together with that album - because the film really makes one curious about the album - and adding outtakes, B-sides, well, All The Rest, they put it in the Anthology. A missed chance, imho.

Sure, 400 Days could've dealt a bit more in the doings of the studio sessions. I would have loved that. I don't think it does much of it and I don't even think that is really what it aims at doing. It's just - I guess - a slightly different concert film, no more no less. Still it's a great watch and I agree it's random to tuck it away on the LA box. "A missed chance" for sure! Still, unless we will see an All The Rest release that really IS the complete sessions type of thing - and I really doubt we will - I don't think it would do much good to release 400 days yet again.

For unreleased stuff, I much rather they come up with some kinda archival series, where stuff can be released in separate boxes, by theme or era. I find this better and more fair in general. As far as pimped reissues go, again, they have to really stack them high and wide for me to forget what they try to do to me. And if something been released but just OOP for the longest time - like the films mentioned above - I always advocate a nice and dandy reissue, straight up. Anything to avoid making what we already have become the bulk of what we are about to get. 

On ‎07‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 4:45 PM, Shelter said:

That is, I am sick and tired of the business standard gimmick of re-releasing stuff as soon as one blinks an eye, either with no extras (save for a sound that at least theoretically is better than the last one) or one or three "new" songs.

Well, that goes without saying... who actually likes that?

On ‎07‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 4:45 PM, Shelter said:

I already have both five or six different formats and editions of ITGWO and two different format copies of TTH and if that is all the material that I am gonna have to work with, I can perfectly well construct my own context.

Hmmmm.... I have ITGWO on CD and cassette tape only and Take The Highway only on DVD... so I wouldn't mind buying a box set.

On ‎05‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 3:04 PM, Shelter said:

I much rather have archival releases focusing completely on unreleased stuff, presented thematically in separate instalments (Dylan Bootleg Series style, like I use to bring up....). Within such context I would appreciate a lot of live shows or themes, but I would still be a lot more focused on unreleased studio stuff and demos.

In general I agree, but the Dylan Bootleg Series has become something of a cash cow undertaking in a few instances. Here the rationale was to renew copyright (I don't know if that's the correct description of the legal situation, but it had to do with copyright) that without a release would have expired. I think this applied to the complete 1966 concerts and the Cutting Edge.

And this is, frankly, where I feel ripped off. Why should I listen to, let alone PAY, for 20 (!) versions/takes of Like a Rolling Stone?

So I'll be more than happy not having to buy something like that from Petty's back catalog.

2 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Hmmmm.... I have ITGWO on CD and cassette tape only and Take The Highway only on DVD... so I wouldn't mind buying a box set.

Well, yes. Now watch me split some hair over this.. :) Sure, it's not about the numbers of copies and/or formats that we own. On the contrary, that's the very argument. As long as you have both the album and the film, in any format, it won't help creating better context, if you get yourself more prints of each (the way most of us already did anyway). It's rather about to what extent we feel ok buying literally the same material over and over again. "Who actually likes that", as you say. Well. You like it, judgeing from what you just said about not minding buying two reprints wrapped in one sleeve. You' wouldn't mind, in the name of better context, I suppose. I might be wrong, but that's how I read it. As for me, I would mind.

At least from one perspective, though, there might a little something to be said for a release like the one you suggest. And that is that the only legit digital TTH release to date, is on laser disc. A format not many people can handle these days. And while I feel alright "constructing my own context" by transfering any title to the format of my liking, there might be something to be said for updating (as it were) the video cassette quality and/or the digital yet obsolete laser disc format into something people could actually use, without having to doctor it. DVD, BR or whatever, may turn out to be dead formats soon as well, but they are what we have at this point. Unless you are fine with them including a hi-q streaming link of the film with the next print of the ITGWO record, of course? I wouldn't mind, myself. But I still likely wouldn't buy it, unless they also packed a ton of other related stuff on there.  

3 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

In general I agree, but the Dylan Bootleg Series has become something of a cash cow undertaking in a few instances. Here the rationale was to renew copyright (I don't know if that's the correct description of the legal situation, but it had to do with copyright) that without a release would have expired. I think this applied to the complete 1966 concerts and the Cutting Edge.

And this is, frankly, where I feel ripped off. Why should I listen to, let alone PAY, for 20 (!) versions/takes of Like a Rolling Stone?

So I'll be more than happy not having to buy something like that from Petty's back catalog.

Yeah.. I see your point. But isn't your examples here something else, entirely?

I agree, copyright renewals are kinda ugly business. And I say this whitout knowing exactly how it works. The point, I suppose, is to secure another era of exclusive rights, control over the material and possibilities to make money, for the artist, where stuff otherwise would have ventured into public domain after 50 years. It's tricky. On the one hand it's reasonable that an artist that are still alive keep control of and profit from his/her work, in the face of piracy and so on. On the other hand, conditions for that being sound another 50 years down the line, what with rights being owned by companies, heirs, when artist themselves are dead and gone, seem very slim to me. Besides, terming it copywrite RENEWAL is weird, since most of what's on Bootleg Series never was issued in the first place, and I don't know what that makes it then. other than securing the money and control, which always part of the idea with releasing anything anyway.

Basically I think public domain could and perhaps should be the normal status for any product for which all writers, performes and producers that has collected their personal earnings in the past, is now gone. Just owning the right to something, shouldn't be enough in terms of creative property, I think. But again, I think none of this applies to my mentioning of BD Bootleg Series, although, one or two or the versions of the installments (and a few other archival releases of his, for that matter) have smelled rat from a far, agreed. And key word here is "versions".  

See, for one thing, I think that as long as almost of all of those Like A Rolling Stone versions are previously unreleased, this may be of great interest to some fans and quite fantastic (Completists must have had a field day with the most expensive version of Cutting Edge, since it is literally the complete sessions!) I am not interested on that level, myself. But it is an irresputable and actual value to the package, that way. (But anyway, as far as an analogy to our previous discussion goes, I think a better example would be if they released a Blonde on Blonde edition that was combined with one of the recent Royal Albert Hall release or something - that is two titles released together, for context.) 

And for another thing. Usually, the BD Bootleg Series often comes in different sized packages, to suit different level of fandom. (Given that the really casual fans don't need to buy these things anyway.) I too think the version with 643 CDs is too expansive most of the time, but sometimes I do feel that the 8 dics big baby covering an era is just about right (as was the case with the recent Gospel Years effort), while a double disc, unless very well made, may come in a bit short and fragmentaric to do real justice to the "context". I really loved when all of the installment in BDs Bootleg Series was the same size too.. when they were always just well produced 2 or 3 CD release, period. 

Either way, no matter what you or I find to be a decent amount of material in a certain context, and no matter what we think of the reasons behind releasing anything, all of it (pretty much) is news value in the case of the Dylan series, and that's where and why I prefer such concept a thousand times over repackaging the old stuff and albums, that I already own and paid for many times over. If I was to choose between paying for a bonus disc of 20 versions of Learning To Fly that I haven't previously heard and 20 different prints of the same old version being sold on various releases over and over, I'd go for the former option. Even if I think listening to the same Jeff Lynne produced drum tracks for that many times may be potentially harmful and even if I would really hate if that was done simply to secure Jeff another 50 years of income from all those more or less exciting versions. :) I guess it's as simple as that. To me, it always boils down to two things: news value and fair play business. Even if the big version Cutting Edge may be crossing the line in terms of latter, agreed, it keeps more than kosher in terms of the former. 

OK, I'll boil down my preferences for so-called rereleases or deluxe box sets or whatever as follows:

- Original album

- "Alternative" album, if there is one, and there is almost always one, consisting of session outtakes and b-sides; not necessarily mere versions of album songs, unless they go somewhere the album versions don't

- documentary about the creation of the album, meaning interviews with those involved (band, producer, manager...)

- at least one live concert from the era

If all of this is neatly packaged with nice artwork, if it comes across as  a tribute of sorts to a particular album, then such a release really has an advantage over digital only releases and streaming.

The Springsteen box sets for Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town and The River, the Simon & Garfunkel deluxe reissue of Bridge Over Troubled Water, Billy Joel's "The Bridge" about his concerts in Russia in the late eighties are examples here.

It can be done, and it can be done well, and for sets such as these I am very willing to spend some money.