Liberty

Coroner's Report/Petty Family Update

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That pic show's Tom is left handed, strange. :wacko:

Oh, Christ! It also looks like he has a very wonky right arm.  That's just not right at all.

On 1/25/2018 at 5:18 AM, Shelter said:

I just saw this: https://www.statnews.com/2018/01/23/tom-petty-accidental-overdose/ 

Not to engage myself in any "debate", I may say this: Please read this at your own risk. It's one man's opinion and speculation. More over it may be produced as part of an agenda. Even so. It's written by a professional and has a few words of wisdom to offer.

As for myself, I find it difficult, crippling sad and mostly pointless to speculate or pass judgement about the private, medical details in all this. I just don't know the exact hows, whats and whys. It's surely complicated and I don't even know if I wanna go there. What I do know is what I have witnessed and pondered myself in terms of the professional side. That is, how Tom, to me, did not look or seem healthy over the cause of last year's public performances. I don't know when things started to get worse rapidly, but save for having knee problems for some time and looking generally a bit more tired at times during the 2016 Mudcrtuch, it seemed something happened over the 2016-2017 winter. Perhaps the hip, perhaps something else, perhaps....(again.. I don't know and I don't want to speculate about the causes and the illments). Fact is - to me - he did not look in good health at all at the Musicares event, and he did not look in good health in a lot of the photage from last tour. It may seem like stellar performances in some ways - sure - but somehow I had a sense that he was really genuinly into it a 100% this time. It may seem great from a certain worshipping point of view and surely impressive for someone never to have seen this band perform before - since they were out-of-this-world great, as always. 

But to me, personally, it seemed like something about Tom wasn't quite right. What was done and how it was done was even more routine than usual (keeping in mind that Tom always was a friend of routine in his live shows). Even by his standards things seemed set in auto pilot and rather tired. He even look borderline struggling in some photage. Things that would surely have passed unnoticed and uncommented in the age before HD cameras or if he had not so sadly left us this past October. In case of the latter, perhaps any tiredness and stagnation would have been credited to lack of artistic vision or energy by "tough" (some say unfair) critics like myself, but since knowing what we know now, I can't help but regret making such assumptions in the past. Even while it was playing out it should have been more obvious to me, or at least it should have been thinkable, that the reason for what I found to be tiredness, indeed was due to severe health issues. 

In short, like I said before, and all speculation about the substances, injuries and clinical analyses aside, I personally feel this tour did not do Tom any good. And I further think that the shape he was in did not - despite the best intentions, stubborness and willingness to take some (to most of us) seriously f-cked up risks - help making the tour quite what it could have been, or even what it was meant to be, I'm sure. Now, of course doing the tour could have been due to financial obligations, to his famous generosity to all his beloved fans, his crew or whatever .(I am having a hard time believing it would have for artistic reasons this time - it can't have been THAT important to repeat the old show that many times in the face of everything - that is surely delusional!). A brave and hard struggle, it was, but really... If anything, the ONLY logical professional reason behind going ahead with this tour in the shape he was in, must have been either financial/contractual obligations OR that he knew that it was gonna be the last hurrah. Sad as it is, that is how I understand it. If he thought that he was gonna live and have more shots at doing great stuff in various ways, why then set out on such a struggle at such a cost for the artistic outcome and his personal health? That he - despite his pain and suffering and the effect it must have had on this tour, not only to me - is said to have loved every minute of it, and been so proud of the result (not only of his brave struggle, am I to understand), well, all that also speaks more to to the logic that he felt something was seriously the matter, than to the theory that he was looking ahead for new things to come. This is the final enigma.. paradox if you will, that I think that I will forever find myself facing. I don't in particular think Tom knew he was going, but still, from a strictly professional point of view, and granted that I can't be alone in reacting the way I did to last year's tour, why do the tour if he didn't? I find it both hard and sad trying to make these things compute.

I’m new to this forum and was only a casual fan until Tom Petty died. There was so much about him on the internet and tv when he died. So I started reading about him, watching YouTube videos and listening to his music. His story is so compelling. He seemed like such a principled person who overcame so much, but he also seems so relatable. I find his music more moving than I did before and became aware of music of his I’d never heard.  I started following the circumstances of his death and am very saddened by it. I largely agree with above quote. I think there may have been something more serious to his health that the public was not made aware of. His most serious (difficult to treat) health issues, emphysema and coronary heart disease, were most certainly caused by his smoking.  It’s so tragic because at least the emphysema was avoidable.  It seems he was also depressed, which may have been related to his health problems. I think his death could start a dialogue not only about opiate addiction, but smoking addiction and depression.

23 minutes ago, Lorra said:

23 minutes ago, Lorra said:

I'm wondering if he had bone cancer. 

You can view his updated death certificate online. There is no mention of cancer. 

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Welcome to the Farm. There's a lot of well thought out discussions on TPATH's music as well as links to live shows. 

Thanks. I’ve been checking out a lot of those. ❤️

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, HPsquares said:

I’m new to this forum and was only a casual fan until Tom Petty died. There was so much about him on the internet and tv when he died. So I started reading about him, watching YouTube videos and listening to his music. His story is so compelling. He seemed like such a principled person who overcame so much, but he also seems so relatable. I find his music more moving than I did before and became aware of music of his I’d never heard.  I started following the circumstances of his death and am very saddened by it. I largely agree with above quote. I think there may have been something more serious to his health that the public was not made aware of. His most serious (difficult to treat) health issues, emphysema and coronary heart disease, were most certainly caused by his smoking.  It’s so tragic because at least the emphysema was avoidable.  It seems he was also depressed, which may have been related to his health problems. I think his death could start a dialogue not only about opiate addiction, but smoking addiction and depression.

I am also new to this forum. I have been a Tom Petty fan since the seventies. I agree with HPsquares opinion. I know we all get older and we think we look the same but when we look in the mirror, OMG, is that really how we look? I saw a dramatic change in Tom in the last 8 years or so. I realize that we cannot still have our blond hair and our skin may sag but he did nt look like himself. I was thinking, plastic surgery, illness? I did read throughout the years that he had knee surgery, hearing loss, arthritis, etc. all are casualties of his industry. But then again, I thought of Mick Jagger and Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney. Whereas, they do show their age and may not look as they did in their youth, who does? Tom did not look so good. I saw him with Gary Shandling in an interview in his studio, it was hilarious but Tom looked terrible. I know people are stubborn and strong willed but how did he manage to tour with insurance. I thought all performers have to demonstrate good health before filming a movie etc.? Where were his handlers, who would have stated that this was not a good idea? I am not assigning blame but just wondering. I also felt that maybe, just maybe, Tom knew he was at the end of his life and wanted to go, that he did all he could do. But he had children and a granddaughter and his wife, so I discounted that idea.   Tom was indeed the BEST and deserved better. I look at old YOUTUBE footage and just want to cry. I have been so out of sorts since he died. I have seen him several times in my lifetime and he never disappointed. I just hope that he is restored to his former self, maybe Travelling Wilbury times, in the great wide open, where he now resides. 

Edited by gracie15
misspellings

^ Welcome to the Farm!

I for one largely agree with that, been thinking along similar lines. ( Insurance, hu? Good point.) Must say though, to me it was never much beyond "normal" aging to be noticed before the last few years, and especially last year or two. I wouldn't say he looked ill at all as far back as 2009-2010, as you suggest. If anything, I was never as hopeful for their "old guys years" being long and dignified as I was seeing the Mojo tour. Like you imply, looking old in better or worse ways is NOT the same as looking or being ill. For example, I personally remember Tom looking suddenly really old and weird around some press conference in 2006, in some then-current interviews in RDAD documentary  and so on (a combination of bad hair, bad makeup, gaining weight or sporting less than optimal sun glasses perhaps...) But I had that down to temporary lack of judgement and bad taste- minor aspects, not to say uninteresting, in my world- but I would surely don't say he looked ill. Haggard like we all do at times, but not dying or in pain. Not all all. I definitively think he seemed troubled and pained for the last year or two, though. Not quite himself, right.

On 1/30/2018 at 6:22 PM, HPsquares said:

Sounds a bit like me.  I always liked his music.  It was always there as we are contemporaries and his music was always in the background since the seventies.  Then something tragic happened in my life about fourteen months ago and I found myself all alone having to handle something very traumatic all by myself with absolutely no human being to lean on for emotional support.  That's where Tom and Mike came in.  I started watching concert videos.   I owe them a lot.  When he died eight months later, I was devastated. 

6 minutes ago, Lorra said:

Just want to say that you must have all meant a lot to Tom for him to have sacrificed  himself just so he wouldn't disappoint his fans.  It was a selfless act.

This whole thing feels off in some way that isn't easy to articulate since we're not privy to a lot of the facts. Weird mix of medicines, no immediate treatment of the hip after the tour that we know of. See, it comes down to what we know of which isn't enough to say.

Beyond that, just from the surface hindsight perspective, it makes no sense to do a tour with that kind of injury. But who knows? Maybe he had a deeper gut feeling that if he didn't do it he'd never tour. I mean, who knows? That's the thing, we don't know enough.

39 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

This whole thing feels off in some way that isn't easy to articulate since we're not privy to a lot of the facts. Weird mix of medicines, no immediate treatment of the hip after the tour that we know of. See, it comes down to what we know of which isn't enough to say.

Beyond that, just from the surface hindsight perspective, it makes no sense to do a tour with that kind of injury. But who knows? Maybe he had a deeper gut feeling that if he didn't do it he'd never tour. I mean, who knows? That's the thing, we don't know enough.

I read that he said he said he didn't want to disappoint his fans. 

I was just watching videos from the LA concert.  He was really limping bad and seemed to hold the left side of his body funny.  Looked as if he was holding one side of his body rigid.

Do you know why he wore sunglasses on stage?  Were the lights too bright for him?  I'm wondering if certain drugs make eyes light sensitive?

Other than his music, I don't know a lot about him or the band.  So, if I ask stupid questions that most fans would know the answers to, that's the reason.

42 minutes ago, Lorra said:

Other than his music, I don't know a lot about him or the band.  So, if I ask stupid questions that most fans would know the answers to, that's the reason.

Hey, I don't think you've asked anything stupid! Don't be too hard on yourself, this is a very friendly board with a lot of interesting discussions. If you like Tom Petty, Mudcrutch and the Dirty Knobs (Mike's side band) this is the place to be. 

Yes, I noticed the limp too on videos. He even shook some hands after his last show with a few people at the front of the stage...!

I'd be surprised if that last night isn't given an official release sometime in the future.

cheers

Tom said in his Tavis Smiley interview ( on YouTube ) from 2010 his eyes can't take the bright lights.  I think the bottom line is , his other health problems prevented his getting the hip surgery at the time. Emphysema is a killer.   See my earlier comments about my dad.  They probably told Tom there was no guarantee he'd make it through the surgery so he did the tour first.  I can't imagine doing that with that much pain.  How he could play guitar and carry a show in that pain is beyond me.  

Another note , watching Tom's interviews of the past couple of years on YouTube.   The one with Tavis and the later Gary Shandling one.  Poor Tom , he had to have had the emphysema at the time ,but with Gary in the first 10 minutes or so of the interview he's on three cigs !!! Now of course I know they could've stopped tape and re started but geez , I just wish I could've told him about my dad .  I loved the Gary interview as he walks through the house showing his home studio , pianos , guitars on the wall, and Tom is so natural , no show business showy stuff , just him in a shirt and baseball cap.  A normal guy who made it huge.  This is why I think I enjoy his music . No pretense of being a star .

9 hours ago, Timflyte said:

Tom said in his Tavis Smiley interview ( on YouTube ) from 2010 his eyes can't take the bright lights.  I think the bottom line is , his other health problems prevented his getting the hip surgery at the time. Emphysema is a killer.   See my earlier comments about my dad.  They probably told Tom there was no guarantee he'd make it through the surgery so he did the tour first.  I can't imagine doing that with that much pain.  How he could play guitar and carry a show in that pain is beyond me.  

I completely agree. I'm only 23, and even with my health problems, I could not have a heavy guitar hanging on me for that long.
I probably could not stand on a stage for that long, let alone sing, play guitar, etc. His endurance in the last tour was astonishing. 

On 2/3/2018 at 8:59 PM, Timflyte said:

... I loved the Gary interview as he walks through the house showing his home studio , pianos , guitars on the wall, and Tom is so natural , no show business showy stuff , just him in a shirt and baseball cap.  A normal guy who made it huge.  This is why I think I enjoy his music . No pretense of being a star .

I love that interview too.  Gave me a good laugh.  But do you know what impressed me the most about it?  When Tom asked where his wife was.  I thought that he must really love her.

A few months ago I read elsewhere on the internet a post from someone who had become disillusioned with so many famous people and the person asked if there was no one genuinely nice in the industry.  One of the few mentioned by someone who purported to be "in the know" was Tom Petty. 

9 hours ago, Lorra said:

I love that interview too.  Gave me a good laugh.  But do you know what impressed me the most about it?  When Tom asked where his wife was.  I thought that he must really love her.

I'm new here, as well.

Lorra, That was my favorite part, too. 

Also in that interview,  he praised Shandling for getting out at the top..... that keeps ringing in my head....and in other interviews....one in particular; where he said "trust me, I'm not gonna hang around and suck"....sadly *for us* he got his wish. 

I just keep wishing, in my (broken) heart of hearts....that he's just gone off to some warmer clime to grow old in peace ........

^  I'm sure they thought of that long before Tom's passing, but it may have brought it up in their minds again. After all, most of these guys and girls are now in their mid 70's. I don't think any of them will actually retire, they are just not going to tour anymore. They will still keep recording and releasing LP's. Most music and movie stars never stop because they love what they do. Most say they can never stop, because it's all they know. Tom would never stop his music to get a job in a steel mill, it's just not who they are. Retirement is only a thing in your mind, it never really happens. IF you retire like me, you'll find something to keep you busy more than your old real job. Luckily for me, it's back to the beginning with music.

I was just watching a YOUTUBE of Tom singing with Bo Diddley and then I watched one of him singing "I'm A Man" sometime in 2006? Both are so stunning! I feel as tho this man really did ot get his due. He is so up there with the greats! This guy played with everyone. I just cannot think that Bruce Springsteen got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before Tom and the Heartbreakers. Why?   But I was wondering if Stan Lynch or Danny Roberts had any reaction to Tom's passing. Just wondering, no big deal. Just want to thank all of you because it is comforting to find folks that love Tom and his music so much. And this site is so interesting!