Marion

My Husband

On 1/17/2018 at 10:29 AM, nurktwin said:

^  I had my surgery in Youngstown, Ohio by Dr. Henn, there was NO time to go to Cleveland Clinic or anywhere else. Dr Henn was about 5 foot 6 inches tall and looked like he was 15 years old, but he did the job and I'm still here!!!! I can't thank my surgeon, heart doctor and lung doctor enough. I visit them all the time and now we actually have a laugh over it. I don't think I'd ever go through it again, but you never know. Only time will tell.

Have you made any diet changes since your surgery, Nurk?  That's one thing that I constantly have to monitor regarding my husband.  He's great about limiting sodium. But sweets are a different story. 

Nel, I  did everything the doctors told me to do for the 1st 3 years and it didn't work. Years 4 &5 I pretty much did  everything on my own, with their help and everythings seems to be going good. You have to talk to the Doc's and tell them whats right and whats wrong.

Marion, i forgot something important. I know Pete likes to tinker around in the garage and kitchen. 1 main thing NOT to do at this time is get cut, the bleeding doesn't stop at this stage with all those drugs and blood thinners. be careful.

On January 24, 2018 at 12:43 PM, nurktwin said:

Marion, i forgot something important. I know Pete likes to tinker around in the garage and kitchen. 1 main thing NOT to do at this time is get cut, the bleeding doesn't stop at this stage with all those drugs and blood thinners. be careful.

Very thoughtful and good advice!

^  I know this 1st hand. About 1 month after I was home, I had to cut a hole in the side bottom of 1 of my kitchen cabinets to run a water line for a new fridge. I could see the water line, but couldn't hook it with a coat hanger, so I decided to reach in and get it. Well I got this tiny scratch on my arm that didn't even break the skin, but blood started to come to the surface and I couldn't stop it for over 2 hours!! It didn't bleed a whole lot, but it just wouldn't stop no matter how much pressure I put on it or how long I put pressure on it. So, be careful, even when using a knife to cut your food.

5 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

^  I know this 1st hand. About 1 month after I was home, I had to cut a hole in the side bottom of 1 of my kitchen cabinets to run a water line for a new fridge. I could see the water line, but couldn't hook it with a coat hanger, so I decided to reach in and get it. Well I got this tiny scratch on my arm that didn't even break the skin, but blood started to come to the surface and I couldn't stop it for over 2 hours!! It didn't bleed a whole lot, but it just wouldn't stop no matter how much pressure I put on it or how long I put pressure on it. So, be careful, even when using a knife to cut your food.

That sounds awful, glad it's in the past for ya!

^  Ya know what bothers me? May 24th will be 5 years since my operation and I often wonder how much longer these new arteries (from my left leg) will last. After all, they came from me, the same age as my bad arteries! Is there an average number of years that they will continue to work, like 5 or 10 years? I know that diet, exercise and meds help extend your time, but somewhere along the line, you're going to have to have it done again IF your body can handle it or IF you even want to go through it again. Doctors say it's a common operation and there's nothing to worry about, but it's a major operation and there's plenty to worry about. If you go into the operating room immediately, it's too late to make plans, you're lucky if you have time to tell your family "I love you". Once you are in that operating room, you have no idea if you will ever wake up again. I don't mean to be negative, I'm just telling the truth. I'm so happy to be here and tell you what it's like, maybe it will help someone.

1 hour ago, nurktwin said:

I know that diet, exercise and meds help extend your time,  Doctors say it's a common operation and there's nothing to worry about, but it's a major operation and there's plenty to worry about.

Diet and exercise are always good. Not consuming processed sugar is huge too. I think you have a healthy cautious respect for surgery, I don't know anyone who is blasé about it. 

Take care.

Lorra, you are sweet to ask.  Thank you!  My husband is doing very well. He just saw the surgeon today for his follow up and the doctor was very happy with his progress and released him to his primary care doctor.  He said they would release him to drive in about 3 weeks so, YAY!!

That's great Marion, I'm so glad for Pete and you. I remember when my surgeon released me to my Dr. It was a great feeling that I was going to be OK. The most amazing thing that I wanted was to lie on my left side, not my back. It's small things like that, that make you thank god that you are still alive.

5 hours ago, Marion said:

Lorra, you are sweet to ask.  Thank you!  My husband is doing very well. He just saw the surgeon today for his follow up and the doctor was very happy with his progress and released him to his primary care doctor.  He said they would release him to drive in about 3 weeks so, YAY!!

Yay is right!  I'm glad to hear he is doing so well. 

And good for you that he can drive again in 3 weeks.  ;):lol: