dollardime

Hard rockin Petty & The Heartbreakers live tracks

I really loved when the band just let rip and tore it up live led zep style. probably my favorite aspect of the band live when they did.I wish they has done it more often actually.  Just listen to Lost Children front the 2002 radio show at The Vic Chicago and you'll hear what I mean. That version of Lost Children live is one of the most awesome top shelf live tasteful classic rock shredding songs they've ever done. Just as awesome is the audience reaction at the end of the song...they go absolutely bananas. There is a theme here of a lot of the TPATHB audience wanting the band to be more like that live. ..listen to the between song shouts of the crowd "more rock and roll" same at Fillmore live..

Too Much ain't enough. A compilation of the most rockin songs live would be fantastic. 

"Now we're gonna plug into the heavy equipment". It may actually be the missing link in the Heartbreakers canon of work, a really hard edged classic rock album along the lines of led zep.or even a live show or two when they just lined up in front of a stack of high voltage Marshall amps and just decided to shred from first song to last. It reminds me of a piece from Zanes biography on Tom when he noted that Mike and Tom wanted to go down the Beatles route in exploring sound scapes and crafting different musical sounds whereas Stan and Benmont wanted to be more like the Rolling Stones rough and ready and take the inspiration in the moment. 

Looking back most of the hard rockin sound live from the band was around 76 - 80 when you listen to the live boot's from that era. After that it was more of a rare hard rockin nugget live they threw into the mix every so often. That era of the band holds a special place in my heart. The Roselyn boot. .the raw sound on the first two albums. Rockpalast from Germany in 77  That killer version of Too Much ain't enough from that 1980 TV show in France. I wish I was around to experience that era of the band live..those who did..well you got lucky!

Some of the tender songs are my favorite too. There was a great versatility in the different songs the band has released over the years and in Toms song writing. 

Heavy Petty is some of the best Petty! ☺

Off the top of my head...

Too Much Ain't Enough

Come On Down to My House

Honey Bee

Lost Children

I Should Have Known It

Oh Well

Mary Jane's Last Dance

Anything That's Rock And Roll Is Fine

Baby's a rock and roller

----------------------------

I'm sure there's more that would qualify/amplify...

On 1/11/2018 at 4:36 PM, dollardime said:

I really loved when the band just let rip and tore it up live led zep style. probably my favorite aspect of the band live when they did.I wish they has done it more often actually.  Just listen to Lost Children front the 2002 radio show at The Vic Chicago and you'll hear what I mean. That version of Lost Children live is one of the most awesome top shelf live tasteful classic rock shredding songs they've ever done. Just as awesome is the audience reaction at the end of the song...they go absolutely bananas. There is a theme here of a lot of the TPATHB audience wanting the band to be more like that live. ..listen to the between song shouts of the crowd "more rock and roll" same at Fillmore live..

Too Much ain't enough. A compilation of the most rockin songs live would be fantastic. 

Yes....KICKin' tune!