Sign in to follow this  
Sweet Pandora

Still listening to only Tom Petty music daily

thanks for sharing Sweet Pandora-  my alarm clock is hooked up to a very old classic ipod.  Every morning I wake up to Tom's music.  It was a little hard to listen to him after his unexpected passing.  I agree that loosing Tom has been somewhat devastating. I saw him about 10x over the last 30 years and consider myself a big music fan.  I remember the day Elvis died even though I was only 8 or so at the time.  I cant think of a single musician that has affected me like losing Tom has.  I was a huge Stevie Ray Vaughan fan and even his death (sadly I never saw him live) didnt him me like this.   

There should have been so much more....   

I'm the opposite. I haven't been able to listen to anything on a regular basis. 
I listened to a few of the key tracks that I love a day or two after he passed, but I haven't been able to listen since. 
I heard Refugee on the radio one day. I tried to get into it, but just ended up sobbing. 

Hopefully someday I can enjoy it again as a fan and just listen casually. 

Welcome Sweet Pandora, and thank you for sharing. I have been a fan for as long as you have.

For a while after Tom's death, I couldn't listen to any TPATH music. Now I find myself listening almost daily and fighting back the tears. As I've posted elsewhere on the Farm, I don't think I'l ever get over it, but of course I have to live with it.

Hang in there; you are not alone.

On 10/01/2018 at 9:41 PM, Sweet Pandora said:

Hi all,

I'm new here and located this forum to see how many others were as grieved about Tom Petty's sudden death as I was.   14 weeks.....For years now, every morning when I get ready for work, clean house, plant flowers, etc., I listen to all my music.   Music has always meant a lot to me ever since I was 5 and got my 1st little transistor radio.  I remember laying it on the ground where I was swinging and just singing my heart out to the Beatles' "P.S. I Love You."     I am 59 now and still listen to all my music I have accumulated over the years.

I've loved Tom Petty's music since I first heard "Refugee" around 1979.    I saw him in concert only once, in 1995.    Since his death, I have been unable to listen to any other music except Tom Petty's.    I have bought numerous dvd's of his videos/concerts and cd's and by now, I know of SO many more great songs I'd never heard before.    I've read Zanes' Biography of him and my journey to know this great man still continues.    I have cried so much over his sudden death and this has NEVER happened to me before.   I have never mourned any celebrity ever like this.    I remember crying in my car in 1977 coming home from work when Elvis died but that was it.    I feel a sadness I have never felt before over someone I never knew.   Now I feel like I do know him and the more I learned and saw about him, the more I loved.   

Sorry this is so long.  I just wanted to know if anyone else out there is still listening to only his music and still mournes him 3.5 months later?   I love everything about him.  Never realized til he passed just how much.    That beautiful silky yellow hair, sky blue eyes, unique voice, his humbleness, honesty, songwriting, etc. etc..............................is hard to get over.    I'm kicking myself because I never saw him in concert again.    If he had lived, I would be flying somewhere the next time he played.    But there will never be a next time & I still find that so very sad.    He was a diamond and there will never be another like him.     His father had a diamond from the start and treated him like a rock.    I'm so happy he was able to find true happiness and love for the last 20 years with Dana.

Hi Sweet Pandora :) I don't listen every day, but in patches. Some days I don't even feel like listening because I think what happened is upsetting. Having said that, I've slowly but surely been getting a lot of his albums on vinyl (until previously I only had them on CD), so that's been 'satisfying' I suppose and maybe even a little therapeutic, ie , going into a good old fashioned second hand record store and try to find the old albums, pretending I'm back a couple of decades ago buying the records when they were new and had just come out - and that TP was still around. That might sound a bit lame but it's really helped for me to approach it like that. I wish we back in the eighties or nineties, for several reasons :)

I listen to Tom and The Heartbreakers EVERY day. It's the least I can do for all the music and happiness that they brought to us. I still see him looking at me in concerts and wondering, I know that guy, but who is he.....HA HA. The music stopped when Buddy Holly died as the song goes, but most people don't remember the 50's and the birth of Rock & Roll. Buddy died, Elvis died, John Lennon died, George Harrison died and so many others, but their music lives on and gets stronger every day. Tom is right there with all the greats, right where he should be. I feel like I've lost a brother, just as when John and George died. I'll mourn forever, but I'll smile everytime I see his smile on video's and hear his voice. That is my reason to play and watch Tom Petty every day, it's my duty as a fan. God bless Tom Petty.

I listen to Lost Children live from The Vic Theatre Chicago radio show 2002 almost every day over the last few months. There's something about that live version that's both empowering and comforting at the same time. I'm also listening a lot to the Lucca Napolone Italy show from 2012 a lot. That show had a few little extras and a bit of set list variation in comparison to most other shows on the European leg of that tour.oh well cover got a run out..as did Oh Carol, the midsection drum led rock out in Its Good To Be King was doubly extended to make it extra epic. That show also has what I think is THE definitive live version of Something Big..Mike seems to be channeling some Mark Knofler /Dire Straits tonality in his solos/licks. Two men Talkin was added in as a second last song...I think Tom and the band were inspired to mix things up a tad and play a bit longer that night as it was a warm sunny evening in an outdoor plaza type venue...probably reminded then a bit of being home in the California sunshine! ☺

I have always listened to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers music every single day but lately I listen for most of the day. Tom Petty Radio is fantastic.  I just can't get enough and I find myself listening to the songs and music like they are brand new and just marveling at the talent of Tom and the band. I'm hearing every little sound and lyric.  Do any of you ever reach over and touch the face of the radio when something in particular touches your heart?   It happens to me when Tom says something funny on his radio station because it feels for one second like he is still here.  Somtimes a certain line of lyrics just kind or rings true like, "I'm just happy to be here, happy to be alive."  Tom had so many quotable lines that we will all use forever.  I'm missing him a lot today. 💔

I listen to Tom and The Heartbreakers everyday. In the 60's, The Byrds were America's band during The British Invasion. Today and for the past 40 years Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers have been America's Band, and that will go on forever. I  heard that a gold record was made by Carl Sagan to send into space with earthly archives and ways to find earth for ET's millions of years from now. One thing Sagan turned down was a song by George Harrison called "Here Comes The Sun", and it's now being considered to upload it to that gold record far out in space. I think a TPATH song should also be considered, what do you think? I have no idea who to write to and request TPATH, but I'm sure you'll find a way.