Rick

Tom Petty: The Ultimate Music Guide

Just bought this afternoon when i went to the supermarket to get dinner in. Looks very good. I love this sort of magazine/book. I have this for most major artists who's music i love, Dylan, Neil, Clapton, Joni, Zepp, Beatles, Who, Kinks, etc etc. So with recent magazines covering the likes of Kate Bush and Nick Cave and the like it was time we reached the mighty Tom and band. There'll always been disagreements about song ratings and maybe a few mistakes but overall these magazines are great if you want a full career review on the albums.

Hope to give this a good read over the weekend. 

Got my copy on Thursday and must say I'm a tiny little bit disappointed. Both interviews and album reviews vary greatly in quality. Most interviewers who got to speak with Petty in the eighties seem to have only liked the first album and DTT. What bothers me most is one music critic who quotes Tom's laugh as "hahahaha" instead of just writing "(laughs)". He comes a cross like a superficial hick at times. Granted, Tom never really enjoyed talking to the press. But he obviously must have had a hard time with British or European journalists and vice versa.

The album reviews only rarely dig deep into the music but more or less contextualize each album with the process of its creation and Tom's life. Hardly ever a line about influences, roots, and their continuation and modernization that was so important to Tom and the band.

Also, some photos seem to be misdated. There are picturs that are clearly from the late nineties but appear in an article from 1989. Strange. And a bit sad.

But I'm being rough here, I admit. In general I'm very pleased to have new reading material on TP(ATH), and the mix of vintage interviews and new album reviews is still charming.

5 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Got my copy on Thursday and must say I'm a tiny little bit disappointed.

I'm really not interested in this sort of thing. It would have to be an absolutely amazing magazine for me to pick up, otherwise between Paul Zollo's book, Warren Zane's book, and the petty archives, and this place there's a goldmine of Tom Petty info out there already. These things seemed like a quick cash grab, let's jam together a bunch of articles and call it a tribute. I think I read somewhere (maybe here?) that some magazines already have these types of issues pre-planned and ready in case of the subject's sudden death.

Thanks for sharing your take on this.

4 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

These things seemed like a quick cash grab, let's jam together a bunch of articles and call it a tribute. I think I read somewhere (maybe here?) that some magazines already have these types of issues pre-planned and ready in case of the subject's sudden death.

To be fair, most of Uncut's "ultimate guides" have been done when the subject is still alive.

To be even more fair, it's still - like a lot of hype driven, s.c. rock journalism - kinda bad, superficial and random. But as such, it's kinda nice anyway, due to the sheer amount of words and pictures, dealing with a "world" we all love.

And.. it's at least something in there for every fan, granted most of the reviews are dumb and a certain amount of "cash grab" is on the horizon, sure... I think these guys really love Tom's work, or they give it a good hard go trying to anyway.

I just wonder why they didn't do their home work a bit better (this I oftentimes wonder when people interview rock stars for in depth articles) and why no one cares to make this magazine happen while Tom was a living legend rather than a recently... well.. you know :(

I have several issues of these , the Byrd's ,beach boys , eagles , a few others ,I've long waited for Tom's.  The reprinted articles from past uk magazines is nice to have.  I'm glad they came out with it. Now Rolling Stone had one a few years back , I had it a few years ago ,now they reissued it with a new cover .  Now that's taken advantage. 

On ‎27‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 11:01 PM, Shelter said:

To be fair, most of Uncut's "ultimate guides" have been done when the subject is still alive.

To be even more fair, it's still - like a lot of hype driven, s.c. rock journalism - kinda bad, superficial and random. But as such, it's kinda nice anyway, due to the sheer amount of words and pictures, dealing with a "world" we all love.

You're absolutely right, of course. I was being hard on them. It's interesting, though, to see in hindsight how the critics' perception of Tom changed over the years: From admiration in the seventies through mild disrespect in the eighties until fascination from Full Moon Fever onward, when they realized this guy was not going away so easily and continued to write and record music that was not only heartfelt but also expanding its own boundaries.