NolaDeej

Wildflowers (all the rest) tracks?

From what I was reading it sounded like they were going to do a tour to support the release of the Wildflowers double album. I read they had planned to do the album from start to finish in concert. That's what I was really looking forward to :(

6 hours ago, Kim said:

From what I was reading it sounded like they were going to do a tour to support the release of the Wildflowers double album. I read they had planned to do the album from start to finish in concert. That's what I was really looking forward to :(

I was under the impression that was off the table and to make up for it, they played extra Wildflowers songs in the last tour. 
5/19 songs played at Cincinnati were from Wildflowers. There were three back to back in the middle.  

On January 6, 2018 at 1:52 PM, Liberty said:

I was under the impression that was off the table and to make up for it, they played extra Wildflowers songs in the last tour. 
5/19 songs played at Cincinnati were from Wildflowers. There were three back to back in the middle. 

My take is that a Wildflowers tour got temporarily put to the side for the 40th and you're right, as a concession they played a lot of Wildflowers in the show, something like five songs, right? A quarter of the concert with that Wildflowers mini-set as you said, in the middle. 

I really think he was going to do a tour for Wildflowers, maybe not nationwide but definitely something with extra musicians and such. 

So I saw a comment online that next year will be the 25th anniversary of this album..   I'm beginning to suspect we wont see a release of this until 2019 now....  It makes sense to hold off until then and let the dust settle etc.  I really hope they offer a couple of versions of this with a deluxe box set as well as the long promised double album. 

On 1/26/2018 at 11:12 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

My take is that a Wildflowers tour got temporarily put to the side for the 40th ... maybe not nationwide ...

Yes, I thought after the 2014 tour they would be back to a Beacon/Fonda type Wildflowers extended album tour.  But then they did Mudcrutch and before you know it it's the 40th anniversary so probably thought it the right time for what Tom was hinting was probably the last nationwide tour.  And though I heard that 10 years earlier I think he meant it this time.

Wildflowers got some pretty nasty reviews*** back in the day. 😡 I enjoyed the Wildflowers songs way more than the F.M.F. songs on the 40th tour.  I could have done with 100% Wildflowers and no F.M.F. 😉

***http://ew.com/article/1994/11/04/music-reviews-wildflowers-and-you-got-lucky/

39 minutes ago, TPfan1000 said:

Wildflowers got some pretty nasty reviews*** back in the day. 😡 I enjoyed the Wildflowers songs way more than the F.M.F. songs on the 40th tour. 

I didn't like the record when I first heard it and it took years for some of it to grow on me. It's a great sounding album though and when I'm in the right mood I'll give it a listen but usually I just check out the songs I like from the record. This record was a huge let down after FMF and ITGWO and I still think You Don't Know How It Feels is a mediocre song; sometimes I'm in the mood for it but not really. Same with Girl on LSD which was a big hit roughly around the same time; I think that's one of the worst things Tom ever wrote.

I understand about wanting more Wildflowers on this tour; with hindsight it's sad they didn't skip the usual hits and play the album in its entirety, I think it's popular enough people would've enjoyed it. Then do a big hit extended encore. Oh well.

Larry Bussaca / Ari Perilstein, Getty Images

While there's no word on the long-promised expanded edition of Tom Petty's 1994 album Wildflowers, we have some new insight of the sessions courtesy of its producer, Rick Rubin. In a new interview, he discussed the recording of the tracks and how Petty was "haunted" by its legacy.

As Rubin told Malcolm Gladwell on their Broken Record podcast (embedded below), the genesis for Wildflowerscame from the sessions that resulted in the bonus tracks for the Heartbreakers' 1993 compilation, "Mary Jane's Last Dance" and the cover of Thunderclap Newman's "Something in the Air." After the meticulous work they did with Jeff Lynne, Rubin freed them in the studio, and it resulted in what Rubin called a more "organic" sound, that "felt more alive and more human," and they decided to continue working together.

It was a particularly "fertile" and "prolific" period in Petty's career, as Rubin noted. Plus, Petty was eager to please his new producer and open to suggestions. "Hope You Never," one of the leftovers that wound up on the She's the Onesoundtrack, was a particular example.

"We did that very in a straightforward way, kind of almost Jeff Lynne-y drumwise," he said. "Very straight. And we probably played that a bunch of different ways before we decided, 'Oh, we like it this way.' [We] probably played it more like band-style and then it's like, 'This lends itself more to the kind of hypnotic, locked-in sound.' It's a more down-tempo, moody piece, sort of the sarcastic Tom -- 'I hope you never fall in love with somebody like you.'"

Rubin said that they recorded "between 26 and 28 songs," but Warner Bros. felt a single LP would have greater commercial potential. Petty, who repeatedly fought with his former label MCA, agreed with his new bosses and they went about figuring out which songs to include and in what order. Wildflowers was eventually released in November 1994 with 15 tracks. But Petty always hoped to put out the others.

"He thought it was really important because the legacy of the Wildflowers album loomed large in his career," Rubin continued. "And he knew that the second half of Wildflowers was an important statement. His issue was [that] he didn't want to put it out as a new Tom Petty album, 'cause it's not a new Tom Petty album -- it was recorded 25 years ago -- and he didn't want to release it as an old catalog album because he thought it deserved more than being a catalog album. He felt like it was too good to just put out and was sort of looking for the right story where it would have the exposure that it deserved. And he never came up with it."

About two and a half years ago, Petty went to Rubin's house and played the unreleased tracks, which he had since made a few changes to, for Rubin, and the quality "floored" him. "I had, like, a vague memory of them," he said, "but some of them just hit me like, 'Wow, what a great song! How did we ever miss this?'"

But during that listening session, Petty opened up about how he knew they had channeled something magical on those tapes, and could never get it back.

"He told me Wildflowers scares him, because he's not really sure why it's as good as it is," Rubin said. "So it has this, like, haunted feeling for him. ... He loves it, but it's not like he can turn that on again. He couldn't make Wildflowers 2today. That was the point. The point was, 'I can't do this now. This was then, and it was where I was then and it was a prolific period. This is an extension of that moment.'"

Listen to Rick Rubin Talk About Tom Petty's 'Wildflowers'

In the Variety article from the beginning of the month Mike and Adria talk about this project:

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/tom-petty-heartbreakers-daughters-discuss-the-best-of-everything-1203153619/

Campbell: The one I’m really excited about would be “Live at the Fillmore” from 1997 through ’99. We did a couple of runs there and it was a different set list every night. We did residencies at the Vic in Chicago and the Beacon in New York, and there may be live albums in there. And in terms of studio stuff, I just heard that our engineer was going through the “Wildflowers” era and he thinks there’s an extra album’s worth of songs in there. I haven’t heard them yet, but when I get home, I’ll be curious to hear if there is a record in there. But we’re going to be really careful to just put only the ones out that we think Tom would want out. Some of that stuff is not finished enough or maybe he wouldn’t have thought it was up to his level. We’re trying to put that barometer on anything we do to make sure our integrity is intact.

Adria: I don’t want to inundate the fans with “Hey, here’s another record!” He made entire other (unreleased) records that, when we look back, they might not have been great for an audience in 1986 or something, but now you’re like, oh my God. But there’s so much stuff to digest for us in terms of how to do it the way that he would want us to do it. “Southern Accents” is a perfect example of a record that sort of scratches the surface of what they were doing at that time. So we have a lot of homework to do to sit down and look at what happened in a particular time frame.

“Wildflowers” (an expanded boxed set that Petty had long planned to put out before his death) definitely is an amazing project that we have in our arsenal, and I would say that it will be coming out pretty soon, but not immediately. That’s a masterpiece that needs to be really well handled and explained not only to a younger generation, but even to the people that only got to see half of the record because it was originally a double record. We’re actually still like struggling to find the original track listing of that double record. … So it’s not just “Hey, we got left this stuff and it’s going to make money for this family.” It’s “Hey, we are the stewards of this big archive of awesomeness, and how do we go in and explain to someone who’s 25 or even 35 what ‘Wildflowers’ was?” It’s him growing as an artist and pushing the Heartbreakers into a new direction; it was a solo album. but a lot of the players are the same, while he was experiencing a different level of freedom in doing this personal material. And “Wildflowers” is undoubtedly about him leaving my mom and falling in love with someone else. So there’s sort of this celebration and this grieving process all in that record. And when you get all of it together, you see what the guy’s real life was like at that time and what he was going through. It’s so beautiful and so empathetic and so connected that it’s a really important thing to be able to share with people the right way.

23 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

In the Variety article from the beginning of the month Mike and Adria talks about this project:

Thanks for posting. I'm adding this to the pile of talk, then.

25 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

MC: I just heard that our engineer was going through the “Wildflowers” era and he thinks there’s an extra album’s worth of songs in there.

No way!! I heard other people think so too!! What a coincidence - actually, some people thought so already years and years ago, when that single was out, I forget what it was called, promoting the then soon upcoming release of such album! Now they started to go through the stuff and think it may be in there. Blessed be the day! [End of sarcasm]

I hope by God this is just another grand example of bad journalism, strange quoting, lack of context and rock writers not knowing sh*t what they talk about in general.

I really like how they both (MC & AP) put emphasis on integrity and quality, though! Kudos! Too many rock stars die just to have their legacy turned into a gluttony for the ages, their catalogue ripped to shreds among countless semi licenced low quality ugly releases, put out there for quick profit fest. Let that not ever happen to Tom, thank you.

Also, very cool how, of all things, they lift Southern Accents! Here. Of all things going around in the circle, it's kinda new to lift that thought to this level of publicity, isn't it? As has been discussed here, and elsewhere, the SA project is very interesting, perhaps even misunderstood to some degree. Supposedly very different mixes, raw tracks and additional songs exist, that can be an eyeopener in terms of that project, what it was, could have been and all that. A very cool thing and era to revist, if you ask me. Judging from the quality of Walking from The Fire, I hope they put some prio on that, compared to other ideas. But, speaking of Tom's own wishes, how about putting that All The Rest that he spoke so fondly of, that he said was about done, at the very top of the list? When you're done going through the material, to see if there is anything there, that is...….  

8 hours ago, Shelter said:

No way!! I heard other people think so too!! What a coincidence - actually, some people thought so already years and years ago, when that single was out, I forget what it was called, promoting the then soon upcoming release of such album! Now they started to go through the stuff and think it may be in there. Blessed be the day! [End of sarcasm]

Ha ha ha!

another grand example of bad journalism, strange quoting, lack of context and rock writers not knowing sh*t what they talk about in general.

It has to be right? How could Mike of all people have one view of extra WF tracks while Adria talks double-album? Unless theres even more WF tracks in addition to what they thought existed for All The Rest. Sounds like she's talking a double album of Wildflowers if they find Tom's track list. 

the SA project is very interesting, perhaps even misunderstood to some degree. Supposedly very different mixes, raw tracks and additional songs exist, that can be an eyeopener in terms of that project, what it was, could have been and all that. A very cool thing and era to revist, if you ask me. Judging from the quality of Walking from The Fire, I hope they put some prio on that,

Apparently. Maybe there's even more to come with quality as good as Walkin'. She makes it sound like we've barely heard much of anything from that era. Maybe more songs without a brass section, too!

cheers

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, Shelter said:

:lol::lol::lol:

That just goes to show how long the thing's already hanging around in some sort of waiting room for classic albums... maybe Mike forgot it had an appointment (to painfully stretch my analogy ;)).

^ To my mind that is a perfect analogy. :D

Sure, maybe he did forget - after all, it was a long time ago, so long in fact that I hear that there's gonna be an anniversary deluxe version of Somewhere Under Heaven coming out soon, complete with bonus tracks.

Or, again, maybe it's the journalist getting it all wrong.

Can't help but struggling to sort out the message(s) here, though. I mean... from what I gather, from a long list of interviews, surely, this "going through stuff" phase was what Tom was initializing back in what must have been 2012 or 2013, right? To prepare for the big 20th of Wildflowers he had in mind? The last few things that was ever heard about the project (in 2016 and 2017) was how much heart Tom poured into it, how it was basically, at large, just sitting on the shelf at that point - signed, sealed, undelivered - and how dearly he wanted folks to hear it, how he had come to realize what great stuff was on there, how they failed with the STO mixes and all that, that he wanted to do the intimate tour thing based on it, and then... The big 41th got in the way (for reasons I think we will never be fully informed about, but that I think include stuff that I don't want to expand on here, for reasons of not wanting to be overly cynical or hurting some delicate feelings, I'm prepared to let all that rest for all eternity and say they truly are all saints, it is what it is now anyway, dammit, and god bless) and then, the talking turned into how a-f-t-e-r the tour he was finally looking to make it all happen. The waiting is the hardest part, right. Love is a looong road.

Yet, all along, through all this time, I seem to recall a few times when Tom actually hinted that there were forces (in suits? presumably?) who wasn't as keen on him doing this thing at all, who were trying to convince him to postpone and recalibrate his mind.

I don't know. How could I. I'm just fairly certain that whatever's been going down, it has long since become a farce. If anything, for guys now going through the Rubin sessions in search of stuff that may worthy of release, seem somehow like a parallel universe  shining through.. where it's like 2012 all over again. In a way.. that would be pretty cool!

On a total (well?) sidenote: It really is too bad that the TPATH camp didn't realize way earlier, the benefits of having an "archive officer" of sorts (like Bob Dylan's Jeff Rosen, if that computes). That literally the archival aspects of the band could be served and tended to quite parallel with the here and now of the ongoing feats of moving forward. That it didn't have to be either or. I mean, nothing ever stopped guys like Neil or Bob to keep restlessly working, pushing limits with integrity without much disruption or even distraction from whatever work was being done to explore and celebrate their recording history. Sure, Tom was a perfectionist, he would've needed to oversee things a bit more than most, probably, but still.. the big bulk of work required, curating and preparing could have been done by a trusted someone.* But that, too, is now all too late. Let's just hope that the trustees of the estate and key figures at play, from here on out will care enough about the professional qualities and multitude of the legacy to have stuff released and chronicled for the fans, and that they care enough about the personal and private to do it carefully and with dignity.       

-----

*Playback could've been the start of such an idea, but I guess, from the start there.. they couldn't quite decide if they wanted Playback to be this grand summary statement - an MCA overview of standards collection, as it were - or a total thrill ride for hard core fans and scholars. So they made it both. Another thread, that. Let's just say that save for the "Deluxe" edition of DTT, they never found the time and interest to do much of the kind.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:34 PM, Shelter said:

Sure, maybe he did forget - after all, it was a long time ago, so long in fact that I hear that there's gonna be an anniversary deluxe version of Somewhere Under Heaven coming out soon, complete with bonus tracks.

:lol::lol::lol: Enough! :lol::lol::lol:

Or maybe it's just because time seems to go by the faster the older you get.

I really don't get what's so damn hard about a WF re-release. It's not like they (the Petty camp, Tom Petty Inc., or whatever you might call "them") have no experience with archival releases at all. They did, imho, really good jobs with Playback, The Live Anthology and An American Treasure (The Best of Everything is good, too, but it's more of a no-brainer than AAT or the others).

It's just becoming tragic, is what it is.

3 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

:lol::lol::lol: Enough! :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you for picking that up! I really felt that one to be a classic, myself.

3 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

really good jobs

Right. And a LOT of work too, most definitely. According to earlier interviews with Tom, most of that part was already done for the Wildflowers project though, when plans for the 2017 tour took prio. Which would make the procrastination, at least during 2015-2017, very odd indeed. Then again, according to that interview with Mike, some guy has now started over.. so.. yeah.. it's exciting to try to keep track of what seem like the eternal incompetence on all levels, of this one. Let's just say, everything that has been said about this project just can't be true all at once. At least a good chunk of statements and/or coverage to this day must have been certified platinum bullcr*p. The questions that remain (all that remains, as it were) are what, how, why and by whom. Well, it's like I used to say back in 2015, I believe this release exists when I see it. Or actually, I don't believe it until I hear it.  

Seeing this whole "All The Rest" situation reminds me of ELO's Secret Messages. Similarly to how Wildflowers was stripped by the publisher, SM was cut in half and didn't see a proper full release until last August. SM was also supposed to be re-released in 2013 but due to label disputes, it never came to be. The "full version" that eventually dropped was a Frankenstein of sorts, splicing different interludes and reorganizing different the listing to more match theories. Not to mention the axing of the one song from the session people wanted to hear the most in the form of "Beatles Forever". While I appreciate it's existence, I felt a little off knowing this was probably the most I would see from this album, and that it wasn't a passion project, more like an obligation to the fans. I'm amazed to see all the heart and care that is put into TPATHBs back catalogue, and this is why I've been slowly growing more fond of Tom as of late. I really do hope to see a proper release of the true Wildflowers in the coming future. I'm a late comer to the group but I am in awe of the sheer history and beauty of Tom, Mike, and everyone involved. 

On 1/6/2018 at 1:52 PM, Liberty said:

In the last portion of the last interview Tom ever gave he intimated that this tour/re-release of the album was never off the table. And, as Tony Dimitriades confirmed, Tom had asked him to start planning the tour by inviting people out on the road with them in support of both the old/familiar and the "new" incarnation of the album, including Norah Jones.

Also, I think the fact that there were 5 out 19 songs every night of the last tour (not just the one night you mentioned) from Wildflowers was not *that* unusual given Tom's conceiving of, selecting songs for, or formatting of his concerts' setlists post-Wildflowers, and that it is probably indicative of Tom's pervasive awe of or feeling that he would never "top" this album. Indeed, since 2003,  a high portion of the songs that the band played in concert came from that album: in 2003, at the April Chicago shows, we got "Wake Up Time" and "Crawling Back to You"; in 2005, "Crawling Back to You" and "Honey Bee" were in the rotation and in 2006 "It's Good to be King" and "Cabin Down Below" were, too. Meanwhile, "You Don't Know How it Feels" and "You Wreck Me" were mainstays of the sets all those years -- which means, for instance, that in 2006 in Saratoga NY, and in 2008 at MSG, the band did 4 songs from Wildflowers. In fact, out of the 12 times I saw the band, there was only one show in 2013 that they did less than 3 songs from Wildflowers.

It is, however, true that 2017 was probably the first time since the 1995 "Dogs on the Run" tour that the band played 5 songs from Wildflowers. And it is also noteworthy that there was a "mini set" in the middle of that tour for the album (like there was on the tour in support of Mojo in 2010). Importantly, though, if you look at the sets of the first few nights of the 2017 tour, particularly the opening night, the Wildflowers songs were not grouped together, so that clearly was a decision Tom made in the midst of the tour and not before it began. I can't help but think, then, that the turn to doing 5 Wildflowers songs in 2017 is less of a compromise and more of a culmination of Tom's long-standing, prideful (in a good way) thoughts on the album.

On a side note, what I always found interesting about the 2006 tour is that was the first tour I saw the band play four songs from Wildflowers songs in the set, and that was when the band was ostensibly supposed to be celebrating their 30th anniversary or promoting Highway Companion

I therefore think that any time there was a free slot of songs, or any time Tom felt particularly "celebratory" (the 30th and 40th anniversary tours), Tom often turned to what he seemed to be most proud of.

7 hours ago, mikemono said:

I can't help but think, then, that the turn to doing 5 Wildflowers songs in 2017 is less of a compromise and more of a culmination of Tom's long-standing, prideful (in a good way) thoughts on the album.

Indeed. Or even.. in line with Tom still planning to go ahead with the Wildflower project right away after the tour, he may have figured, why not use the tour to pave the way some.. like a mini promotion of what is to come.  In other words, it's not instead of, it's because of. I like to think there would be a logic to that as well.

7 hours ago, mikemono said:

On a side note, what I always found interesting about the 2006 tour is that was the first tour I saw the band play four songs from Wildflowers songs in the set, and that was when the band was ostensibly supposed to be celebrating their 30th anniversary or promoting Highway Companion

Right.. but anniversaries rarely was how they rolled, though, was it. Seeing how they celebrated their 41st in 2017, how DTT was celebrated with a deluxe treatement at 31, how they rode with a Tom solo album for the TPATH 30th Anniv tour, as you mention, how Playback would have been the perfect 20! extravaganza, if it wasn't one year early, and the 20th of Wildflowers is closing in on 30, for all I know. I like to think of all this as mildly confusing but extremely charming. At the very least it speaks to the genuine, less calculated side of their enterprise, and what's not to love about that part! They'd always get to things when and how they liked! It's all just numbers anyway..

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

I like to think of all this as mildly confusing but extremely charming. At the very least it speaks to the genuine, less calculated side of their enterprise, and what's not to love about that part! They'd always get to things when and how they liked! It's all just numbers anyway..

💘

16 hours ago, mikemono said:

so that clearly was a decision Tom made in the midst of the tour and not before it began. I can't help but think, then, that the turn to doing 5 Wildflowers songs in 2017 is less of a compromise and more of a culmination of Tom's long-standing, prideful (in a good way) thoughts on the album.

Makes sense. 

10 hours ago, Shelter said:

In other words, it's not instead of, it's because of. I like to think there would be a logic to that as well.

I'm going to go with both. It was instead of for this tour since the 40th dictated the approach and because of, a taste of what he planned on doing maybe not too far down the road.

Which makes the lack of a definitive release at this point very odd. 

Happy 25th Anniversary to the legendary Wildflowers album, released this day on 1994!!!

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/tom-petty-complete-wildflowers/

As we know - lots of pondering, uncertainty, debating and deliberating on the best way to release/re-issue/celebrate Wildflowers: All The Rest. The label, the band, the family, Ryan U, Rick Rubin...even Tom himself was unsure the best way to continue to tell the WF story.

Which is a bummer for the fans. I don't get it. I appreciate the fact they they want to protect the legacy...but...are they perhaps overthinking this release too much?

Why not do it the way everyone does it these days - with options ranging from one disc to multi-deluxe options, depending on what you want & want to spend?

ie.

1. Option 1: All the Rest - Standalone album with the "new" 11-12 tracks only. $9.99

2. Option 2: The above + the originally envisioned WF Double LP. $34.99

3. Option 3: Deluxe: The above + One disc of WF home demos (that Ryan U recently stumbled upon) $44.99

4. Option 4: Ultra Deluxe Box Set: The above + 1995 Dogs With Wings live show recording + Hardcover book with essays and never-before-seen photos. All wrapped in an organic cloth box that looks like the texture of the WF cover. With an embroidered flower on the cover. $149.99

Come on Warner Bros...GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!