NolaDeej

Wildflowers (all the rest) tracks?

3 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

as I thought Ryan said the "All the rest" album was sequenced they way he and Tom had finalized it...   we'll probably never know...

I was surprised by this as well. Ryan Ulyate’s voice was conspicuously absent from this article, and since he is actively participating in the “All the Rest” thread over at SHF I am hoping that he will weigh in on this.

Thew article says Tom was "stressed" about Howie in 1992. I thought that wasn't really the case until perhaps perhaps 1995-96 during the "She's the One" sessions.

5 hours ago, Zargo said:

Thew article says Tom was "stressed" about Howie in 1992. I thought that wasn't really the case until perhaps perhaps 1995-96 during the "She's the One" sessions.

I noticed that too in the article and wondered if it was revisionist history or not. It's true Howie didn't participate in the Wildflowers sessions as much as Benmont, so maybe he did have some issues dating back that far.

7 hours ago, Zargo said:

I think, I remember reading or hearing somewhere, that his problems started during the ITGWO-Tour.

14 hours ago, Thelonious said:

I think, I remember reading or hearing somewhere, that his problems started during the ITGWO-Tour.

Well, I guess it might be the difference between problems beginning, and problems becoming more evident. I recall a quote from Tom saying something along the lines of "It was around the time of She's the One that we were losing the old Howie."

Going back to the article, Tom's daughter talks about Wildflowers being the "quintessential divorce record." A singular view-point, I wonder what she thinks Echo is? 

8 hours ago, Zargo said:

Going back to the article, Tom's daughter talks about Wildflowers being the "quintessential divorce record." A singular view-point

It’s the viewpoint she got directly from her dad. Here’s the passage from Zanes’s biography.

84151DA2-4612-46DE-B5A7-7D664E744AB6.jpeg

9 hours ago, Zargo said:

Tom's daughter talks about Wildflowers being the "quintessential divorce record." A singular view-point, I wonder what she thinks Echo is? 

23 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Thanks for posting that

You’re welcome. I knew there was a more definitive quote, and here it is, also from the Zanes bio:

240217E1-2D42-4AC3-B470-C0F6EF5F0E4B.jpeg

I listened to "somewhere under heaven" for the first time since months...

and it sounds so totally different to all other songs from wildflowers...hard to believe, it was really meant to be on that album...

9 hours ago, Arete411 said:

It’s the viewpoint she got directly from her dad. Here’s the passage from Zanes’s biography.

84151DA2-4612-46DE-B5A7-7D664E744AB6.jpeg

Cool, thanks for that, haven't read it. Echo is really the post divorce/ cocaine album then.

I find it very interesting they show a 25 track list different from what is being released that has the JJ Cale  tune alluded to in one of the articles but they cant find the original mix???

1.      Time to move on

2.      Its good to be king

3.      Leave Virginia Alone

4.      House in the woods

5.      Its only a broken heart

6.      Higher place

7.      Hard on me

8.      Hard to find a friend

9.      Hung up and overdue

10.   Wildflowers

11.   Climb that hill

12.   Honey Bee

13.   Lonesome Dave

14.   Cabin Down below

15.   Crawling back to you

16.   You don’t know how it feels

17.   13 days

18.   Girl on LSD

19.   Don’t fade on me

20.   Something could happen

21.   Hope you never

22.   Confusion wheel

23.   Wake up time

24.   You wreck me

25.   California

PS guess what playlist I will listen to on 10/16... ;) 

Love the snips of "Something Could Happen" and "Leave Virginia Alone".  I think I'm going to really like those.  I'm not too worried about things we have several versions of already - like "Thirteen Days", but I do look forward to rolling in the "She's The One" songs where they belong.

4 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I find it very interesting they show a 25 track list different from what is being released that has the JJ Cale  tune alluded to in one of the articles but they cant find the original mix???

1.      Time to move on

2.      Its good to be king

3.      Leave Virginia Alone

4.      House in the woods

5.      Its only a broken heart

6.      Higher place

7.      Hard on me

8.      Hard to find a friend

9.      Hung up and overdue

10.   Wildflowers

11.   Climb that hill

12.   Honey Bee

13.   Lonesome Dave

14.   Cabin Down below

15.   Crawling back to you

16.   You don’t know how it feels

17.   13 days

18.   Girl on LSD

19.   Don’t fade on me

20.   Something could happen

21.   Hope you never

22.   Confusion wheel

23.   Wake up time

24.   You wreck me

25.   California

PS guess what playlist I will listen to on 10/16... ;) 

I find that list very interesting too, but I think it's in chronological order of when they were recorded, so it doesn't have anything to do with the proposed 25-song track sequence for the double album. It does solve the mystery of the three-song change TP made for the new version: "Girl on LSD," Lonesome Dave" and "13 Days" out, "Somewhere Under Heaven," "Harry Green" and "Climb That Hill Blues" in.

Yeah, the order of the songs is curious.   They were in the studio for 18 months doing this record, and rolling tape the entire time probably.  I feel like it's really unlikely that the tape boxes labeled M1 through M7 are the original tapes?  More likely like that the songs were mixed down eventually to these 7 tapes, and this is the order of the mix down.  At least that what I'm thinking.

Just came across this.  This is a look at the 9lp boxset, but not the $500 version.  Possibly some spoilers, so if you don't want to see it before you own it, you probably shouldn't watch.

It was nice to see it, and it makes me even more excited to receive my 5 cd box in a couple weeks.  It looks packaged very similar to An American Treasure, so they will look good together sitting side by side on a shelf.

On September 24, 2020 at 3:48 PM, High Grass Dog said:

it doesn't have anything to do with the proposed 25-song track sequence for the double album.

I also find it puzzling the original track list has somehow vanished. That is a huge amount of songs to finagle into one album or even a double with good flow. Maybe the big irony is after ATR people will think they made the right call in culling WF into a single disc. It may seem piddly but would WF be as beloved if people had to haul around two cds? A lot of people back then used Walkmen, easy to have one disc in the player and just go on repeat, most wouldn't want to carry around a plastic case with the second half in there. 

Same with cd players in cars, you want a disc you can go from beginning to end over and over like FMF or HE. A double disc WF would put the kibosh on that. It may seem no pun intended, a petty concern but I don't think you can ever underestimate peoples's enjoyment and love of convenience. Even WF on cassette was one, having a double album might have changed the entire perception of the record to the point that it would be more viewed as the big what if? What if it had it been WF.

Maybe it's just "the grass is always greener."

It doesn't matter. The point is after years of patience from WF hardcore fans, they're finally getting this mythical project...in less than a month!

Thoughts?

cheers