NolaDeej

Wildflowers (all the rest) tracks?

Thanks again to dylanfree
I converted the file to MP3 format and I can now listen to the radio show in the car.
"Something Ain`t Right" is an exceptionally good track.
Unbelievable how many tracks exist from the Wildflowers time.

A few quick thoughts.

Again, thanks for sharing this dylanfree.

1) This was one of the most enjoyable TPATH recordings I've heard, 

2) Something Ain't Right remains the best song or jam on there, maybe they'll find another version fully recorded amidst their sprawl of tapes.

3) I was surprised how often the tape stopped considering Zollo's book where Tom mentions tape always going. Perhaps so many dropped tracks were the reason for it and all this predates that rule.

4) Even the stuff that was silly, fun little moments were enjoyable.

5) This is the first time we've seen behind the curtain aside from things like "I'm Dumb." And it shows a whole other side of the band that is great. There's no denying their live skill as musicians but with the pressure of an audience to please this side of the band never made an appearance, not on big tours or even residencies. Would a whole show of this, let alone tours be desirable? I don't think so but it's a shame, in my opinion that this energy was worked more into the band's concerts. Moot now.

6) There's anothe riff, maybe Pleasure Train (?) where at the end Tom says it wasn't good and Ryan agrees. I disagree, that was a great riff and could've been turned into a good song.

7) Ryan's got a good radio voice.

This has been the most fun release or "release" from TPATH since HE. I'm glad we got to hear it and hope they continue to be this free wheeling with recordings like this, maybe they don't think anyone other than hardcore fans would want to hear it so there's no incentive to monetize it. Fine with me! :ph34r:

What did everyone else think?

cheers

17 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

A few quick thoughts.

Again, thanks for sharing this dylanfree.

1) This was one of the most enjoyable TPATH recordings I've heard, 

2) Something Ain't Right remains the best song or jam on there, maybe they'll find another version fully recorded amidst their sprawl of tapes.

3) I was surprised how often the tape stopped considering Zollo's book where Tom mentions tape always going. Perhaps so many dropped tracks were the reason for it and all this predates that rule.

4) Even the stuff that was silly, fun little moments were enjoyable.

5) This is the first time we've seen behind the curtain aside from things like "I'm Dumb." And it shows a whole other side of the band that is great. There's no denying their live skill as musicians but with the pressure of an audience to please this side of the band never made an appearance, not on big tours or even residencies. Would a whole show of this, let alone tours be desirable? I don't think so but it's a shame, in my opinion that this energy was worked more into the band's concerts. Moot now.

6) There's anothe riff, maybe Pleasure Train (?) where at the end Tom says it wasn't good and Ryan agrees. I disagree, that was a great riff and could've been turned into a good song.

7) Ryan's got a good radio voice.

This has been the most fun release or "release" from TPATH since HE. I'm glad we got to hear it and hope they continue to be this free wheeling with recordings like this, maybe they don't think anyone other than hardcore fans would want to hear it so there's no incentive to monetize it. Fine with me! :ph34r:

What did everyone else think?

cheers

I can only say this much, from the point of view of hardcore fans like us, Tom could probably sing down the phone book, and we'd still think it's awesome. The occasional fan needs hits. I loved all of the songs on the radio show, especially "Something Ain`t Right"

If Ryan brings more songs to the radio, maybe from the time of "Full Moon Fever" or "Into The Great Wide Open" ... with songs that are just as brilliant, then it will probably bring tears to our eyes. Especially when you consider that you may never appear on LP or CD.

5 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I sort of think the Behind the glass deserves its own thread. Listening now and its gold!  thank you very much Dylanfree! 

in the past I'd have said "sure" but who knows how much longer this place will be around. So, why not just keep it here?

What did you make of the set HooDoo? It was a very enjoyable listen for myself as I went on above.

cheers

I enjoyed it too. I can hardly believe there were so many outtakes for the one album (although it was across several years).  Some fun stuff in there, was nice to hear Ben taking lead on a track too.   I actually enjoyed the early version of Girl on LSD a lot more than the final version of it. Wish they had more tape of a few of the cut tracks... 

I wonder why he faded the end of Something Ain't Right. Did someone swear or something? Did it go off in a bad direction? Is it because the song actually goes on and it will one day be on an archival album? Just something different? Seems like the others just come to an abrupt stop. Or maybe he liked the tune as well and thought fading it out gave it more of a proper end.

cheers

On 8/30/2020 at 2:09 PM, dylanfree said:

I'll keep recording these as they premiere and sharing them with you all one way or another!

Thanks a lot!!! Unfortunately, this forum will go offline soon... Is there any way to reach out to you once this place has vanished?

Listened through it a couple times this week.  It all feels fresh and exciting to me.  Lots of fun stuff.  I'll jump on the bandwagon and say Something Ain't Right is a highlight of the show.

I hope that some of the stuff on this and up coming episodes sees a proper release one day, but with All The Rest finally having a street date, it feels highly unlikely.  No matter what, I'm happy and grateful to even get to hear it at all.

Thanks again Dylanfree!!  Can't wait to hear more.

It's on Wikipedia about Rod Stewart and the song Leave Virginia Alone.
Leave Virginia Alone" was originally meant to be on Tom Petty's studio album 
Wildflowers, but the track did not make the album.[1] In a Billboard interview with Rod Stewart, Stewart revealed that Petty's manager gave him the song when Petty believed the track was too similar to a previous hit of his.

Tom said Leave Virginia Alone was too similar to one of his previous hits, but I'm really looking forward to Tom’s original version.

Above all, I have no idea which of his hits this song should be very similar to.

Thanks for posting this.  I often forget to check the bands Twitter and Instagram pages, so I frequently miss their posts.  Can't wait for the release.

Happy the ol' Farm is still around  😀

59 minutes ago, Arete411 said:

Many new nuggets about Wildflowers and All the Rest in this comprehensive article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/three-years-after-tom-petty-e2-80-99s-death-his-dream-project-finally-emerges/ar-BB196t4Q

great articel! Thanks for sharing it.  I was surprised to read this part of it: 

With that legal resolution, work on Wildflowers & All the Rest resumed. Petty’s original 1994 tracking order for the double-disc Wildflowers was never located. “I did search for a couple months for the original double-album sequencing,” says Adria. “I would have loved to have put out what he delivered to Lenny and Mo as the finished album. That would have been something. I used to listen to it all the time on a gold CD, and we loved it and Dad loved it.  And all we can remember is that it was basically the first album and All the Rest, a J.J. Cale cover, and then it ended with ‘Girl on LSD.’”

as I thought Ryan said the "All the rest" album was sequenced they way he and Tom had finalized it...   we'll probably never know...