NolaDeej

Wildflowers (all the rest) tracks?

Has there been a definitive list of songs known to have been recorded during the Wildflowers sessions? I'm not just talking about for the 2nd half of the album that we are potentially getting in early 2018, but I mean everything written and recorded during that period of Tom's songwriting. B-sides, unreleased, She's the One, All the Rest, songs given to other artists, and stuff held for later albums?

Thank you!

Yes, there's fairly complete info available in places on this forum if you look around. On what's known and what's been floating around in terms of the unreleased material from the era, the kinda stuff you mention. No real complete list of sessions and details (but has there ever been, when it comes to TPATH?)

To my knowledge there's no news, as to what exactly will be on a possible official release either, what was planned, and how plans are now moving along, considering the sad development this fall? I hope we will know...... soon.

Wildflowers (all the rest) Tracklist  ?

Cabin Down Below (alternative version)
Only A Broken Heart (alternative version)
Girl On LSD
... these are the songs that were released as single B pages at that time.

Supernatural Radio (original)
Climb That Hill (original)
Hope You Never
California
Hung Up And Overdue
... these are the outfakes of wildflowers that were then used for "She's the One".

And then we still have the outtakes that have not yet been released, except for "Somewhere Under Heaven":

Wake up Time (alternative take)
Time to Move On (alternative take)
Leave Virginia Alone (Rod Stewart, released 1995)
Confusion Wheel
Something Could Happen
Lonesome Dave
Somewhere Under Heaven
U Get Me High (original version)

A dream comes true      Hopefully !

7 hours ago, Marion said:

Wow, they begin by saying the release is expected in the 4th quarter of 2014!!

How come nobody ever includes  "I Don't Belong" when talking about lost tracks? 

Oh I haven't heard I Don't Belong in forever.  That was an Echo outtake, right?

There was some other lost track, the title of which I can't remember.  It is about a guy and a girl who meet, the lyrics are "he thought she was pretty good looking", a couple more verses then "she thought he was pretty good looking".  It was a pretty rough recording from what I remember, but sadly I lost that file a long time ago. Anyone remember this?

13 hours ago, jtx84 said:

Oh I haven't heard I Don't Belong in forever.  That was an Echo outtake, right?

There was some other lost track, the title of which I can't remember.  It is about a guy and a girl who meet, the lyrics are "he thought she was pretty good looking", a couple more verses then "she thought he was pretty good looking".  It was a pretty rough recording from what I remember, but sadly I lost that file a long time ago. Anyone remember this?

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers/unseen-in-the-80s-demos-and-more/

"I Don't Belong" was apparently never officially released. 
It appears on a compilation of outtakes and concert versions called "Unseen in the 80s."
The highest quality I have is 320kbps MP3. 

The thing is when a artist dies , people look for something to come out .  There has to be , more we think.  Look at Buddy Holly ( they found old tracks , some when he was fairly young , and over dubbed a band .  Same with his Demos.)  Elvis ( anybody remember the two albums that came out where they removed the strings and most of the backing vocals to spotlight Elvis more ?  Since then tons of stuff ),. John Lennon ( quite a few unreleased stuff , let's not forget the Beatles over dubbing on two demos )....and tons of others that I probably do not know of.  Myself I'm hoping to hear some new stuff or alternate versions , but I'm thinking Tom may have tons of stuff for years to come .  Good recordings.   Now it's only the waiting part , and , as we all know here , especially , the waiting is the hardest part .

14 hours ago, Timflyte said:

The thing is when a artist dies , people look for something to come out .  There has to be , more we think.  Look at Buddy Holly ( they found old tracks , some when he was fairly young , and over dubbed a band .  Same with his Demos.)  Elvis ( anybody remember the two albums that came out where they removed the strings and most of the backing vocals to spotlight Elvis more ?  Since then tons of stuff ),. John Lennon ( quite a few unreleased stuff , let's not forget the Beatles over dubbing on two demos )....and tons of others that I probably do not know of.  Myself I'm hoping to hear some new stuff or alternate versions , but I'm thinking Tom may have tons of stuff for years to come .  Good recordings.   Now it's only the waiting part , and , as we all know here , especially , the waiting is the hardest part .

Dont forget Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan.  I think both of them may have released more music posthumously than not...  :/

On 02/01/2018 at 8:37 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

Dont forget Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan.  I think both of them may have released more music posthumously than not...  :/

Frank Zappa too.

His family has released two or three albums a year since his death in 1993. 50 posthumous albums! And I'm not talking about compilations. Mostly live stuff and unfinished albums...

24 minutes ago, Gregory18 said:

Frank Zappa too.

His family has released two or three albums a year since his death in 1993. 50 posthumous albums! And I'm not talking about compilations. Mostly live stuff and unfinished albums...

... and all in all about three or four discs worth of actually good material. ;)

Well. Perhaps a bit harsh there. Personally I think that more often than not the raiding of dead rock stars' vaults are taken a few lightyears too far in the name of quick dollars. Nothing against Jimi, Stevie Ray or Frank (or Elvis or John or Kurt or Johnny or any of the others) but save for one or two "forgotten" or "unfinished" albums and a handful of live stuff, I think there is not a whole lot to excuse the dozens and dozens of releases, more or less official, by more or less serious labels.  

Tom probably noticed in recent years, how a whole list of semi-bootlegs have flooded the market. Albums that used to be bootlegs that are now sold by serious dealers (presumably due to murky copy right protection, radio station licences and legal loopholes, when it comes to older live recordings) and with Tom now gone, and a renewed interest in bloom, there is bound to be even more shit popping up, I'm sure. Soon a search for Tom Petty discography will soon present what we know to be the official list of records as being just a minor part of stupid cr*p. Judging from what happened with most other old rockers it's bound to happen.

Two things set Tom aside, though. One for worse and one for better (hopefully). One is that the market for hundreds of live shows to be released may not be quite as profitable as some of the other mentioned artists have seen. (Not as many Tom freaks as Elvis freaks out there...) Also, frankly, save for less than a handful of shows, most TP&TH shows are too similar to excuse too many live releases, anyway. Thus, perhaps a few official, serious and well made releases by WB (as part of a bootleg series of sorts or whatever) will hopefully be enough as far as live archival releases go - thus the discography kept fairly serious and tight and less full of cheap stuff. The other thing is that not much studio or demo material is in circulation - at all. This means that the label and spokesmen for Tom can be on top of things before they go out of hand. Work carefully and professionally through whatever there is and release things very carefully and protect what Tom would not have liked to get out from future exploiting. But I guess we will see how the "TP office" handle things. I hope there will be a serious and generous release of various vault stuff - if only to keep the bootleggers at bay. I may be strange that way, old fashioned, bound to physical formats and all, but I rather see a limited amount of quality releases with the vault stuff, than an endless row of ugly and semi official releases that most other old rocker had. Even if it means that some shows or demos won't reach my ear. I find Tom's integrity and artistic legady too important.

All in good time. Still the Complete Wildflowers release is what is on top of the list. It's been talked about since late 2012, marketed since 2014 and while it's very understandable that it is left hanging at this point, I hope it will see release soon and that the familiar old 15 tracks will end up being at least 30. As I understand it, this project was what Tom himself cared most passionataly about in the last few years of his life, so let's hope the "office" will hand it to us gently this spring.  

There are rumors of a 2018 release for this so, for the fourth year in a row, we can all anxiously wait for an announcement. In terms of tracks, I really hope this doesn't get watered down with demos and live tracks. Just stick to the unreleased original material, and maybe a few alternative versions. Demos are nice, but are a waste of space on a release like this IMO. In addition to the potential tracks mentioned above (and on that interesting Steve Hoffman thread), I remember there was talk a year or two ago of a song called "Harry Green" that I'd never heard of before. That one never gets mentioned. Here's hoping we hear more soon!

I'd imagine a late 2018 release at this point. I'm all about the demos and alt versions. If there's a boxset, sign me up. 

The demos of some of the WF material is exquisite. It's worth hearing them. I hope they get released. 

On January 4, 2018 at 8:34 AM, Shelter said:

Also, frankly, save for less than a handful of shows, most TP&TH shows are too similar to excuse too many live releases, anyway.

Yes. Unlikely as it may be, some live gratis mp3 from different tours would be nice, notable shows from each tour. Fortunately the fan community has been very generous with good sounding shows. What I think will happen will be Live Anthology 2 down the road with more deep cuts.

On January 4, 2018 at 8:34 AM, Shelter said:

The other thing is that not much studio or demo material is in circulation - at all. This means that the label and spokesmen for Tom can be on top of things before they go out of hand.

For some reason I think Mike and the others or just Benmont will do a good job with this. No Greatest Hits repackaged or Hard Promises with one extra track. Better to have a few high quality releases of unreleased material than a strip-mining of their vaults in my opinion anyway.

cheers

7 hours ago, campbellfan1 said:

I'd imagine a late 2018 release at this point. I'm all about the demos and alt versions. If there's a boxset, sign me up. 

The demos of some of the WF material is exquisite. It's worth hearing them. I hope they get released. 

I just think of it as an unpolished acoustic version. I have nothing against them, but, for example, the demos of "This Old Town" and "Big Weekend" didn't really add as much to the Highway Companion deluxe edition. If there were one disc of all finished tracks and a separate disc of demos and live tracks, that could work. I just wouldn't want demos to crowd out tracks like "Lonesome Dave" or "Confusion Wheel" or unheard tracks like that.

I hope/guess the idea is to release the double that was meant to be. Thus finished versions. (Any demos and extras would have to be just that - extras - if at all included, go on a potential bonus disc then, am I right?) I thought this was the idea, to restore the original concept? At least I hope that's what will happen. I would love to hear all unreleased stuff though, no doubt. But a release of demos an live stuff would not exactly be what I expect and not the "back to the glorious original idea that People never got to hear " that I kinda expect...?