Timflyte

Buddy's Crickets did it....will Tom's Heartbreakers do it ?

When Buddy Holly met his untimely death , his band ( although not currently backing him ) added two guys , and continued to tour and record ( as a three piece they also backed the Everly Brothers ).   I'm wondering if the Heartbreakers will consider doing the same .  Not right now ,but maybe in a year or so.   If course the Crickets were all young guys , under 25 with a long career ahead if them , and the Heartbreakers have had a long career already.   I'm just wondering , would they ?  Or maybe as " mudcrutch " ?  Has anybody else thought about this ?  I'm a huge Buddy Holly fan.  

Would they?  Only they can answer that really..I'd have mixed feelings about it as I'm sure they would too but musicians create music, that's what they do..would it be in the form of a once off tribute show for Tom with guest vocalists carefully chosen..the emphasis being on carefully chosen who would have the right sensibility to do justice to what they're doing...it would be car crash stuff if not handled properly.

Could they? Well yes they could if they wanted to..musical ability wise they could back up anyone really given the strength of the band.

Should they? That's the hard one really. Mike Benmont and Steve are active in the scene in their own right with side projects and studio work. Ron and Scott...it would be strange seeing them all as a collective together on stage without Tom, but it would need to be a Bob Dylan type figure...Bob and The Heartbreakers on a mini tour somewhere....I could see that as viable artistically if they did it..I think Tom would give his blessing to that. McGuinn also...a Willie Nelson studio album with the Heartbreakers. Or dare I say it..Neil Young on tour with the Heartbreakers would also be fascinating . It would need to be that type of calibre of collaboration to have any value or merit if it were to happen at all.

Another option would be for the Heart breakers to do a tour on their own. A small theatre type tour with Mike and Benmont songs and a few Mudcrutch and blues covers...just for fun low key relaxed.

Or Mudcrutch to tour similar vibe to option above. 

Who knows if any of this is even remotely possible but perhaps in the fullness of time it might even be therapeutic for the band to get back together and play in celebration of Tom and the music that has given them all a wonderful life. Life is for living. Music is for playing.

I could imagine a tribute album with guest vocalists. Something like the "No Talking, just Heads" album from the David Byrne-less Talking Heads. Maybe with Stan Lynch as a guest drummer...

I loved Benmont's solo album. A second one with the Heartbreakers backing him would be great. They don't even have to call themselves the Heartbreakers if they don't want to. We just want to see these guys together again.

If one day they decided to become the backing band for another artist (Roger McGuinn, Stevie Nicks, Dhani Harrison come to mind), I think it would be a good move to rename themselves "The Heartbroken".

"Dhani Harrison and the Heartbroken" - I'd love to see something like that happening.

Well, they surely could become the most sought-after studio band, that's for sure. And I wouldn't see a reason why they should not back up other artists on their albums.

Live it's a different story, however... I can't see them doing that, but I'm absolutely convinced if they ever become somebody's backing band onstage, they will do it with immaculate taste.

^^ The Heartbroken would be a terribly cheesy name. Plus I'd say the comparison is totally different. The Crickets were only together for a couple of years with Buddy Holly, TPATH have been a cohesive unit for 40 years. Yes they both had charismatic front-men but the Crickets still could have gone on after Buddy Holly just for the reason they hadn't been around that long.

I would just want to see more solo work come out from Benmont seeing as his first album is such a delight.

I hate to think of the boys not playing together again but I have trouble seeing them play behind another singer....  I know with the Doors it was an utter fail when they released albums without Jim....   I would love a tribute show or possibly tour with other singers doing a song or two but at the same time I hate the idea... Very conflicted on this idea. :( 

A steady gig as someone else's backing band - famous transplant or new guy - I don't see that all! Bad idea! It kills the integrity. It's bad enough when bands try to replace their long time singers who came to symbolize their songs and sound, and just keep rolling, but when that singer is also the writer of almost all of the songs and have had his name as an integral part of the band's very name.. it's somewhere you'd not want to go. Everything has its time - even in a cold hard commercial age like ours - and everyone is better of looking ahead, moving on!

And with regards to that name aspect - that of to what extent there can be a HB in essence without a TP somewhere close - I'd say it may even be questionable if it's wise to use the HB brand at all, save for some occasional tribute show or something to that effect, relating to Tom.

That said, I really hope they will keep the outfit going, doing session work, perhaps even writing, producing (MC especially, but also BT?). It may ultimately and preferably be as a group of individual maestros rather than an outfit (much like they did on Unchained  - there is no "Johnny Cash and The Heartbreakers" on the sleeve there) but hearing them working again behind Stevie or Bob or Roger or someone else "close enough", musically or socially, for an album or a one-off show, would be fantastic! I would even love to hear them bring back Stan for some serious Stevie Nicks sessions! 

Most of all I hope to hear more, of them working together with each other... Mike and/or Ron guesting on Ben's next album? Dirty Knobs having their album out already. And so on.. Mike perhaps (hopefully) will be trusted with working with the TPATH cataloge legacy, reissues, archival releases and such. There is so much to be done and I hope they do it. Just careful with that legacy there! Don't just hire Axl Rose to keep touring American Girl. Just don't. And I'm sure they won't.

Would they: No
Could they: I hope not
Should they: Absolutely not

Closest we should get is a tribute concert, similar to Concert for George and the Freddie Mercury Benefit.  Have it at the Hollywood Bowl on the Anniversary of their last concert.  The Heartbreakers with an amazing line-up. (Nicks, McGuinn, Dylan, Lynn, Grohl, Shelters, Leadon/Marsh, etc) .... That's it done. 

Shelter offers some additional possibilities,  just miscellaneous musical contributions with friends, as long as it is not promoted as " The Heartbreakers"

This band has always had integrity...keep it.

On 12/20/2017 at 11:08 PM, crackfox said:

A one off tour with the Heartbreakers using Toms studio voice track as a base would be an interesting one off and as far as I know not been done before. Otherwise anything else no.

Ridiculous.

I don't think it would ever happen, and there probably wouldn't be a big market for it, but I would personally love to see a Heartbreakers studio album. Mike gets to sing a few songs, Benmont gets to sing a few, a few jammy instrumentals, and maybe a guest vocal on a track or two (from a contemporary, not some random pop star). Again, I don't think there's much commercial appeal in that to the general public, but I think it would be cool. In terms of live performances or tours, I don't see a Queen with Adam Lambert or ACDC with Axl Rose type thing ever happening.

I think that would be interesting.  Especially in light of Tom telling Mike not to release his album cause he sounded so much like Tom.  I think it would be interesting , with the other two singing too.  I'm not sure if Steve sings.  But the others do. 

Sometimes the simple ideas are the best. Get the band into the Clubhouse and have then jam a few songs and talk about Tom and some of their memories of him down the years for a couple of hours...a few stories from the road and anecdotes too with the camera rolling and then release the results as a  Web video on the official website.