Sign in to follow this  
45 Guy

What Does Tom Say In The "You Got Lucky" Video?

27 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Castlevania... hu, 1986 where have you gone? Now I feel old.. :D

Both Metroid and The Legend of Zelda were released in 1986 on the Famicom, although neither of them would receive a North American release on the NES until 1987. 

8 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

He could've pushed over Zork or Pong...

Zork probably wouldn't have worked, as pushing over a home computer wouldn't be quite as impressive. Pong...sure. 

I found a ROM of Astro Invader and got it running in MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator). Pretty similar to Space Invaders. It's actually quite difficult too, particularly as the falling aliens inflict splash damage that can take out your cannon. The main strategy is to focus on keeping the middle chutes clear of aliens and taking out the saucers before they reach the bottom, but it's still pretty damn hard. No wonder Tom pushed the cabinet over.

Another oddity is that the copy I found had no sound. I'm not sure if this is a faulty ROM or if the original arcade game didn't have sound. 

8 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

The main strategy is to focus on keeping the middle chutes clear of aliens and taking out the saucers before they reach the bottom

For some reason I find that sentence very beautiful. What is described is also not too unsimilar to my life... :) 

In 1989, a small developer called Wizard Games released a game for DOS called Rockstar!

jfVpWND.png

The goal of the game is to, well, become a rock star.

rYMoG6g.png

I've played it several times. It's quite an odd experience, really. On my last playthrough my character somehow became addicted to heroin despite staying away from the drugs completely and got stuck in a loop of the label forcing the band into the recording studio to make an album and collapsing from overdoses.