Marion

Tom Refugee & The Beach Bums - The Florida Flash 1987

I felt like playing some vinyl today so I started to look through some of my Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers collection and I came across this album. I don't think I ever played it before but I put it on the record player today and it sounds amazing!  I think it might have been one Johni brought me from England but I'm not sure. Heck, I might have bought it on EBay way back when.  It's just so cool and just what I needed today, a little Tom Refugee and The Beach Bums!  LOL!!  

large.IMG_9818.JPG

large.IMG_9819.JPG

Yes, looking back I see that I have it too.  It was one of the first boots I ever got and one of my favorite shows. This show was in Jacksonville, FL right in my state and I missed it. I wish I had seen them play on that tour.  I love hearing Stan and Howie sing backup, plus Stan was a really good live drummer.   I wonder how Stan Lynch is feeling about now. :unsure:

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I used to have this album, I think some of the tracks listed are missing if I remember correctly.

You mean some are missing on the actual record? Make sense, since two LP sides may not hold all that music listed. (About 23 minutes per side is usually maximum, to sound good.) I have some CD versions of this show that do have all 14 songs listed and those should be longer in playtime than a single LP record. While the material seem very representative for the 87 tour - and is really great imo! - I doubt it's the full show anyway. Other shows from that tour is usually 18 or 19 songs. 

7 hours ago, Shelter said:

You mean some are missing on the actual record? Make sense, since two LP sides may not hold all that music listed. (About 23 minutes per side is usually maximum, to sound good.) I have some CD versions of this show that do have all 14 songs listed and those should be longer in playtime than a single LP record. While the material seem very representative for the 87 tour - and is really great imo! - I doubt it's the full show anyway. Other shows from that tour is usually 18 or 19 songs. 

The original show was on 3 LPs but that was for convenience since the show had 6 segments.  It would have just fit on 2 LPs with the commercials.

Little known fact about vinyl records, you can adjust the distance between the grooves when making and printing the record. A 45 RPM record was once only 2-3 minutes, but the Beatles made "Hey Jude" on a single by making the grooves closer and got a single that was 7 minutes and 11 seconds long.

8 hours ago, Shelter said:

Yes, I'm pretty certain all the listed tracks on the LP cover are not there.