Sign in to follow this  
Shelter

Random Click Thread

8 hours ago, Shelter said:

These horrible numbers don´t even seem to register with most people, normally. This year though, the Corona virus didn´t even claim 10.000 lives before we started closing down the entire planet. Eternal damage to society as a result. Sure, we are up to 20.000+ deaths now and still counting. Sure it´s scary, not knowing what to expect. Sure, we need to slow this spread, for health services to keep up if nothing else.. But still.. the proportions of it all.. Something does not compute. 

Yes. Some seem laid back about it, had a conversation with a woman on a walk, didn't seem concerned about getting it, talked about the craziness of it all. Others seem like they're driving themselves to sickness through worry and fear and too-much-concern. Perhaps the smarter thing to do was sequester the elderly for their safety, let society run as normal and care for them as best as possible since they are the most at risk. I don't know. I think we'll know in a couple weeks, what was a smart decision and what not and right now, there's a lot of contradictory information flying about the media. At this point, for some, turning off the tv/news would be good.

But yes:

9 hours ago, Shelter said:

Something does not compute. 

Shelter, this is a novel virus like SARS was about 10 years ago. As a novel or new virus its something that nobody's immune system has seen before and it has a range of outcomes from asymptomatic for people with healthy immune systems, to flu like where the body fights hard for several days before beating it, to the overactive immune response that ends up with the person dying or with permanent lung damage.  

The flu while it does kill randomly is something that we can at least partially immunize against and even with 300-700K deaths world wide most people can fight it off. I have not researched typical flu and the deaths from that but my guess is the virus is too concentrated for the body to defend itself and an over-reactive immune response.   the flu while contagious is not nearly as contagious as the current threat as many people carry natural antibodies against it.  Most people 80% was the last number I saw have a mild case and its over or never show symptoms and its over. Without the blood test for antibodies we don't know who has had it and can move freely again.  The reason its a big deal is 20% will get sick enough to be hospitalized, anyone on chemo, or with asthma. COPD or other respiratory ailments are at greater risk as are the elderly who have a poor immune system so the 80% put those 20% at a much higher risk.  

Also we are set up to handle the flu and have staff and respirators to treat anyone with the flu, nurses and docs are vaccinated against it and are less likely to get sick. There is a theory that the level of exposure also influences the severity of immune response so that is why Docs and health care workers need PPE and lack of replacement masks are causing them to use contaminated masks to protect themselves. 

SARS got out of hand but was not as contagious and it was more easily contained compared to COVOD-19 , interestingly Hong Kong and South Korea were hit hard by SARS and they had the best societal response as well as governmental responses to the current crisis with people in Hong Kong . We have not seen anything like this since the pandemic of 1918 and there initially was a lot not understood about transmission and infection levels as the team that would lead the response from the CDC was disbanded and the WHO  had to navigate the response without the CDC support.  We should have been leading the fight but instead denied it was coming and acted too slowly to do anything but practice social distancing and let it burn itself out.  A major issue is that there is a 7-17 day incubation so anything that happens today will show as sickness in one to two weeks and it can be transmitted when you don't yet know you are sick.  so there is a lag time where the measures taken today show a net gain as we are fighting a slow moving target.  Its really a total mind bender how not ready we are for something like this when we have had a decade or more of a threat like this coming up again. 

Also now that the disease is out in the world its a constant threat and will continue to mutate (At last I read there were two mutations already.) Mutations to the current copy can make it worse or milder to non reactive.  But the flu shot offered at the local drug store? That will eventually have a COVID component as its here to stay at some level more like than not. 

Hope that was not too preachy or anything and I hope it explains a little why we need to act now to prevent it from exploding. 

No, yeah, no worries. I do have my eduction down on these things, though. Thanks. Microbiology is my middle name, strange as it sounds.

It's not really that. I's just, quite philosophically, weighting the real, actual numbers, reactions and behaviour in people. I might find some of it interesting. Some even somewhat insulting. Asking uncomfortable questions is not the same as giving simple answers. As you well know, I take it, this thing ain't going away. Closing the planet dead is about buying us as society some time, some control. Right or wrong, I don't pretend to know. In short, it's to kill how many in order to save how many? 

39 minutes ago, Shelter said:

No, yeah, no worries. I do have my eduction down on these things, though. Thanks. Microbiology is my middle name, strange as it sounds.

It's not really that. I's just, quite philosophically, weighting the real, actual numbers, reactions and behaviour in people. I might find some of it interesting. Some even somewhat insulting. Asking uncomfortable questions is not the same as giving simple answers. As you well know, I take it, this thing ain't going away. Closing the planet dead is about buying us as society some time, some control. Right or wrong, I don't pretend to know. In short, it's to kill how many in order to save how many? 

glad to hear it, and I agree we are in really uncharted territory in modern times. this will be a hell of a book someday when they do the historical analysis on reactions and the effect it had on areas and what failed and what worked... I agree we may be going too far but I wonder if we are not going far enough. If a certain world leader had not claimed understanding and knowledge and clearly had neither we may be in a different place today.  As it stands seeing what has happened with Toilet paper, flour and eggs not to mention isopropanol and soap.

I fear for society's ability to band together and unite after it clears. My bigger worry is my kids mental health with school canceled for now through May 1st but I know the school year is over as we knew it. 

On March 27, 2020 at 1:06 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

that the disease is out in the world its a constant threat and will continue to mutate (At last I read there were two mutations already.) Mutations to the current copy can make it worse or milder to non reactive.  But the flu shot offered at the local drug store? That will eventually have a COVID component as its here to stay at some level more like than not. 

Hope that was not too preachy or anything and I hope it explains a little why we need to act now to prevent it from exploding. 

I don't think it's too preachy and was well reasoned.

But I also think it's healthy (no pun intended) to discuss different points of view on a subject. Or in some cases, a fucking wild rant:

I'm amazed that within a very short time some people are existing in extreme fear of this thing. Within days the stock market has crashed, people are stuck at home, many businesses closed, the news is a non-stop generator of fear and anxiety and for what exactly? In the end, are these perhaps society changing actions worth it? What would have happened before social media? You'd have read about some sickness and gone on with your day. Apparently lots of people die from the flu each year. If you are indeed correct about mutations then what? Non-stop updated vaccines? More social distancing? It alarms me that within a very short span, people are afraid to touch door handles. Universities are closed. Wouldn't they be the safest since most of the student body is young? Why was there this mad rush to go to the hospitals? The testing? Tom Hanks immediately proclaiming on tv he has it. Shit. It makes conspiracy theorists seem there on to something. What good did it do to have Hanks go on tv? What happened? People go nuts and hoard tp. None of this is good. When this ends, some businesses are going to be wiped out. A lot of smaller businesses. And in the end, no one knows anything. Sure, don't have people cough on you but how is that any different from how you should be living in the first place? 

Oh, now I should wash my hands? Well shit, thanks for telling me that. Boy oh boy, never thought of that. I carry some hand sanitizer in my car, used it to clean my hands after pumping gas. Big deal. Now it's a black market item. Seriously. What the hell. Look at how fast peoples lives can be changed. If they can be changed over this, sure as shit they can be changed into accepting loss of freedoms. And again, for what? There's worse things than death.

Picture this happening in the early 90s. People would shrug, think it's a shame some people are dying of the flu and just get on with their lives. The elderly, most of them in this country sad to say, have to be extra careful but that's the case anyway. I know older people who go to the hospital for one thing, catch pnuemonia and die. It's sad. It's fucking horrific. But no one gives a fuck. People just live their lives. And that's what would have been happening in the past. There wouldn't have been a crazed rush on the hospitals, people in constant fear of getting this thing. Hell, a lot of people could have it and be fine. Is there a danger of passing it on? Well shit, there's fucking danger everywhere in this world and none of us know. Why is some poor child born with osteo genesis imperfecta? Why does some guy who smokes and drinks ends up living a full and long life? No one knows. 

Has there ever been a day where the news wasn't bad on tv? Where they didn't focus on filling your brain with worthless depressing stories? Stories you take in and do absolutely nothing about. Generally speaking. Basically the entirety of u.s. society has stopped and people are boxed into their homes and for what exactly? What is the end goal here? For the curve to flatten? Sure. Why is this particular disease the thing that fucking shut sports down? I don't care to watch millionaires wave sticks in the air and hit balls and play catch in tights but I'm shocked they shut the whole thing down. Suddenly everyone, the govt most of all cares about the elderly? Most people have no patience for the elderly? Go to a grocery store, no wait, think back to how impatient people would be in the check out when Nana pulls out her tiny change purse or God forbid writes a check. Or be stuck behind some granny who can barely see over the steering wheel. Talk about injustice? Go to a fucking nursing home where the may charge $5000 a month for an old person to sit in a wheel chair, stare into space and have their diaper changed. Does anyone care about the elderly then? Or the cost of Rx? Of course not.

Suddenly, we're being told to wash our hands like British posters urging calm in the face of WW2 bombings. It's fucking ridiculous. You could observe every covid-warning just fine and still catch it. Fred Fredrickson could touch every door handle and not wash his hands for a week and be fine and infection free. No one knows. 

But fine, everyone will stay in, a lot of smaller businesses will die, who knows which and how the corporate monstrosities will survive and thrive and hope that things don't go down the toilet with all the hoarded two-ply. What if a CDC truck pulled up to someone's home and ushered the family away. Would most people do something? Protest? Or watch from windows? 

Now...if you made it through all that, wow. Thanks. Kind of you. Do I really think CDC trucks will just usher families away? No. Would I rather people be smart and cautious and considerate of others in the hopes of not spreading this thing? Of course! And do I want old people to remain healthy, to be a boon for their loved ones and children and grand-children. Yes. 

My concern is how quickly human society and behaviors can be quickly warped, perhaps quicker than any other time in history due to social media and that this could be used as a mechanism of control. Paranoid? Possibly. But then what are advertisements but an attempt to control your behavior, broadcast into your home every day? 

I think the next few weeks will either prove the cautionary approach at "flattening the curve" accurate or give more fuel to conspiracy theorists and fears of a new rising facism in this country. My guess, this will get extended a few more weeks, we'll get some govt money and things will start opening again.

But go back twenty some years and people's quality of lives would be better as they'd just be living them without this fear and a massive economic collapse. Unless of course you got sick and died. But then, that can happen all the time anyway.

On March 27, 2020 at 4:17 PM, Shelter said:

Closing the planet dead is about buying us as society some time, some control. Right or wrong, I don't pretend to know. In short, it's to kill how many in order to save how many? 

Right.

On March 27, 2020 at 5:01 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

I agree we are in really uncharted territory in modern times. this will be a hell of a book someday when they do the historical analysis on reactions and the effect it had on areas and what failed and what worked..

Maybe this can be your second-book after the record shoppe one.

On March 27, 2020 at 5:01 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

I agree we may be going too far but I wonder if we are not going far enough. If a certain world leader had not claimed understanding and knowledge and clearly had neither we may be in a different place today.  As it stands seeing what has happened with Toilet paper, flour and eggs not to mention isopropanol and soap.

I fear for society's ability to band together and unite after it clears. My bigger worry is my kids mental health with school canceled for now through May 1st but I know the school year is over as we knew it. 

Understandable. Good point about children's mental health, (and I hope yours are doing well) I know sad to say, a lot of younger people on psych meds, I hope this shelter-in-place lockdown hasn't created more mental problems in the younger generations. Bad enough there's the cell phone/social media addictions, a never-ending cycle of updates from friends, family, strangers, etc. that does more harm than good. Most I've known can't even turn it off. Sad times.

Anyway, I hope you and all of yours out there in the Farm are doing well and understand the point of the broad generalities expressed and the concerns behind said expression with a healthy dose of anger and a bit of disbelief at how, as Hoodoo Man notes, things went with tp. Not much humor in the above ranting though unless you find the whole thing amusing in which case, glad you got something out of it even if it was a derisive chuckle.

All right, enough o' this. Where's a bootleg I can review thirty years past its expiry date?

cheers

I should also point out I am aware of the dangers to everyone, not just the elderly (though I've seen different stats as to how sucsepitble young peple are) and that of course it's not just about saving the elderly but keeping everyone safe, from people with pre-existing conditions to babies and so forth.

cheers

Interesting article, here's a snippet:

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles/Wolfe-Sorry-But-Your-Soul-Just-Died.php

By Tom Wolfe

From neuroscience to Nietzsche. A sobering look at how man may perceive himself in the future, particularly as ideas about genetic predeterminism takes the place of dying Darwinism. This article was first published in "Forbes ASAP" in 1996.

Being a bit behind the curve, I had only just heard of the digital revolution last February when Louis Rossetto, cofounder of Wired magazine, wearing a shirt with no collar and his hair as long as Felix Mendelssohn's, looking every inch the young California visionary, gave a speech before the Cato Institute announcing the dawn of the twenty–first century's digital civilization. As his text, he chose the maverick Jesuit scientist and philosopher Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, who fifty years ago prophesied that radio, television, and computers would create a "no�sphere," an electronic membrane covering the earth and wiring all humanity together in a single nervous system. Geographic locations, national boundaries, the old notions of markets and political processes—all would become irrelevant. With the Internet spreading over the globe at an astonishing pace, said Rossetto, that marvelous modem–driven moment is almost at hand.

3 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Interesting article, here's a snippet:

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles/Wolfe-Sorry-But-Your-Soul-Just-Died.php

By Tom Wolfe

From neuroscience to Nietzsche. A sobering look at how man may perceive himself in the future, particularly as ideas about genetic predeterminism takes the place of dying Darwinism. This article was first published in "Forbes ASAP" in 1996.

Being a bit behind the curve, I had only just heard of the digital revolution last February when Louis Rossetto, cofounder of Wired magazine, wearing a shirt with no collar and his hair as long as Felix Mendelssohn's, looking every inch the young California visionary, gave a speech before the Cato Institute announcing the dawn of the twenty–first century's digital civilization. As his text, he chose the maverick Jesuit scientist and philosopher Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, who fifty years ago prophesied that radio, television, and computers would create a "no�sphere," an electronic membrane covering the earth and wiring all humanity together in a single nervous system. Geographic locations, national boundaries, the old notions of markets and political processes—all would become irrelevant. With the Internet spreading over the globe at an astonishing pace, said Rossetto, that marvelous modem–driven moment is almost at hand.

When I saw you post that I was like wait, isnt he dead? (Yes 2018)   

I'm still very much on the fence about how we have destroyed the economy in an attempt to save us all.  I think this approach just shows how utterly unprepared we are as a world to combat a threat like this.  We will for sure lose 100K people in the US but if it goes to the millions I will be sad but not surprised.   The expectation is that 80% of us will get this sometime soon so taking the US as the basis: 80% of 327 million is roughly 261 Million. Of those people they say 20% will have a bad case of it which is 52 Million people and of that total we are looking at 1.5-4% of those people dying which is 783,000.  But that assumes all of the 52 million people get adequate treatment so if the level of care can not keep up with demand (its not) we will lose a higher percentage of people.  

Its not just the old we will lose, eventually this will start hitting the very young in addition to the elderly. We had the first known infant mortality in the US today and its starting to hit more young people.  My Dad is immunocompromised (ICD), my Father in law has bad lungs, my best friends mom is in cancer treatment at the moment and is having a large mass removed form her lungs next month ( she is not a smoker neither is her husband).  I could go on but in short I know dozens of folks with bad lungs, diabetes and worse. I myself have asthma. So flattening the curve is the aim so that the 52 million people that need serious help from this don't need it at one time.  

I think the problem with us all not taking precautions is the idiots from Mardi Gras and spring break in FL got exposed to this and went home to grandma and ma and pa and gave it to them. Every infected on average is giving this to 4 people who give it to 4 more and son on.  So without social distancing my youngest who turns 15 on 3/31 would possibly infect all her grandparents, her aunt who battled lyme disease and other stuff and who knows who would get it from them.  I don't know a better way to address this other than mass testing. The recovered go back to work and others wait it out until they catch it and recover or they figure out a better way to produce the antibodies other than serum from recovered patients. 

I have to wonder if a low dose of semi killed virus given to low risk people would get enough antibodies going to protect them from a full blown hit.  I spent too many years in biotech so I've seen weird stuff in my time and a little knowledge can be dangerous when I am left to my own devices. LOL 

Well, sure, "think for yourself" = always good (George Harrison lyric) - but you might also want to consider that this is not just another form of flu.  It's fast, it's efficient and each person who has it inadvertently infects many other people (not just one or two like flu does).  Plus, we have those "ordinary" types of flu as well as this new virus.  So, yeah, it computes okay (to me).  

On 3/28/2020 at 4:06 AM, Hoodoo Man said:

(At last I read there were two mutations already.) Mutations to the current copy can make it worse or milder to non reactive

oh well, when someone like Mike Pence repeatedly says he* doesn't believe in this evolution concept anyway, he'd be unable to accept idea of mutations either.  Face palm.  Politicians.

Listen to what the infectious disease experts at WHO say.  They say flatten the curve.  Okay, I'll do what I can.  Its not just old geezers at risk.  And even if it was, some of my best friends are old geezers.    

* not to mention sex, politics or religion

6 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

What good did it do to have Hanks go on tv?

Are you serious?  What other options?  That he keeps it quiet?  Because before he had tests, he'd been potentially passing on virus to a whole bunch of australians, actors on the movie set, tv journos from his breakfast tv appearances here.  Who would all quite like to know they'd been exposed & maybe had passed it on to other people already too.  

The "Tom Hanks Nice Guy Effect" is an important step in epidemiology - it shows us all that an everyday, cheerful, avuncular kinda guy (albeit a movie star) can catch it too.  So it suddenly gets real for us all too.  No longer a weird, exotic disease happening to other people who we don't care about.  Same issue, same "Nice Guy Effect" came up back in the day with HIV /AIDS and also in many other diseases.  

It's really not just social media hype.  But I'm sure there are really cool & fun social media places where people are busy chatting about that kind of stuff.  

11 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Are you serious?  What other options?  That he keeps it quiet?  Because before he had tests, he'd been potentially passing on virus to a whole bunch of australians, actors on the movie set, tv journos from his breakfast tv appearances here.  Who would all quite like to know they'd been exposed & maybe had passed it on to other people already too.  

The "Tom Hanks Nice Guy Effect" is an important step in epidemiology - it shows us all that an everyday, cheerful, avuncular kinda guy (albeit a movie star) can catch it too.  So it suddenly gets real for us all too.  No longer a weird, exotic disease happening to other people who we don't care about.  Same issue, same "Nice Guy Effect" came up back in the day with HIV /AIDS and also in many other diseases.  

It's really not just social media hype.  But I'm sure there are really cool & fun social media places where people are busy chatting about that kind of stuff.  

I begrudgingly watch the stories about the Prince Charles having it as well as Boris, but seeing Tom Hanks and John Prine have it drives home that this is a real disease and effects everyone at all socioeconomic levels.  

Its good to see people that come out say they are self quarantined because some people at the highest levels of office in the US denied it was a real threat, I also read they shipped 35 TONS of medical supplies to China while it was starting to wind down there and wind up here. 🤬   Getting people (And I am NOT saying people HERE in the thread) to realize this is a game changer is a big challenge. So much disinformation was put out there to start and people at high levels are ignoring science, security experts so things are going to be much worse than they could have been with proper leadership and direction. 

COVID-19 is being treated like a badly managed capitalistic opportunity where businesses are allowed to gouge and states as well as foreign countries are fighting for the same resources rather than collective bargaining with the manufacturers.  Im as far from an economist as you can get but the case studies for business school, poli sci and a host of other fields will be bombarded with what not to do stories for decades.  I think lesson one is do not elect a reality star with no ability to govern into highest offices unless they have actually done some kind of related work before. 

12 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Shelter Microbiology xxxxxsson (pick your own Scandinavian Surname).

Why you guessed it just right!

And while the tap is running.. Let me repost this.. seems like link above died.. (probably some virus)

16 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I'm still very much on the fence about how we have destroyed the economy in an attempt to save us all.

It's unreal. But like with all of this, again I think the next several weeks will tell the tale, hopefully this flattens out and life begins steps back to normalcy.

More on this later...

cheers

21 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

My Dad is immunocompromised (ICD), my Father in law has bad lungs, my best friends mom is in cancer treatment at the moment and is having a large mass removed form her lungs next month ( she is not a smoker neither is her husband).  I could go on but in short I know dozens of folks with bad lungs, diabetes and worse. I myself have asthma.

Jeez, I hope all are doing as well as can be with all of that, sorry to hear it man.

20 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

you might also want to consider that this is not just another form of flu.  It's fast, it's efficient and each person who has it inadvertently infects many other people (not just one or two like flu does).

I understtand, I just have a healthy degree of skepticism. 

That he keeps it quiet?

Yes. What good came of him appearing? Perhaps he was a possible trigger for the mass panic and crazy hoarding at the beginning of this. 

The "Tom Hanks Nice Guy Effect" is an important step in epidemiology - it shows us all that an everyday, cheerful, avuncular kinda guy (albeit a movie star) can catch it too.  So it suddenly gets real for us all too.

I understand. But I also think it's a symptom of what a sad society we exist in or what a mediocre culture that we view TH as this benevolent figure. WE don't know him, it's just a projection onto him. And that people now believe it because of a celebrity...well...you are correct but I think it shows how far afield we are from a healthy society. The whole thing feels like a setup, even from the p.o.v. of it being legitimate and not part of some evil conspiracy, just a way to ease the public into accepting things even if it's a lie. I'm not saying it's a lie, just noting the power and influence of celebrities (sports figures etc.).

But I'm sure there are really cool & fun social media places where people are busy chatting about that kind of stuff.

That's just preaching to the choir. If everyone stays civil, the Farm can be a place for this type of discussion, though at this point I don't have much to add as I think again, the weeks ahead will tell the tale.

8 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

in the US denied it was a real threat, I also read they shipped 35 TONS of medical supplies to China while it was starting to wind down there and wind up here.

I'm skeptical of politicians, flat stop. Right, left and center though maybe those in the middle are the most tolerable. I don't know.

8 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

COVID-19 is being treated like a badly managed capitalistic opportunity where businesses are allowed to gouge and states as well as foreign countries are fighting for the same resources rather than collective bargaining with the manufacturers.  Im as far from an economist as you can get but the case studies for business school, poli sci and a host of other fields will be bombarded with what not to do stories for decades.

Shouldn't step one have been years ago....keeping manufacturing here even if it cost some stockholders/ceos some profit. And what the heck is wrong with our car industry? Shouldn't it be much improved compared to foreign countries output. But yes, I agree, gouging and such is wrong.

8 hours ago, Shelter said:

Why you guessed it just right!

This was funny.

cheers

On March 27, 2020 at 4:17 PM, Shelter said:

I's just, quite philosophically, weighting the real, actual numbers, reactions and behaviour in people. I might find some of it interesting. Some even somewhat insulting. Asking uncomfortable questions is not the same as giving simple answers.

I figure since you're on a first-name basis with everyone in Switzerland, you could give your take on this. Of course, everyone else, jump in. Or not.

https://swprs.org/open-letter-from-professor-sucharit-bhakdi-to-german-chancellor-dr-angela-merkel/

An Open Letter from Dr. Sucharit Bhakdi, Professor Emeritus of Medical Microbiology at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, to the German Chancellor Dr. Angela Merkel.

Dear Chancellor,

As Emeritus of the Johannes-Gutenberg-University in Mainz and longtime director of the Institute for Medical Microbiology, I feel obliged to critically question the far-reaching restrictions on public life that we are currently taking on ourselves in order to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus...

ciao

I wonder what the over/under number of deaths is, before this changes from overreaction to appropriate restrictions?   Dr. Bhakdi and all other "deniers" must have a number in mind?  What is it?  How many worldwide dead is acceptable?  

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu

CORONAVIRUS RESOURCE CENTER

Johns Hopkins experts in global public health, infectious disease, and emergency preparedness have been at the forefront of the international response to COVID-19.

This website is a resource to help advance the understanding of the virus, inform the public, and brief policymakers in order to guide a response, improve care, and save lives.

38 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

On the news this morning they are predicting 200,000 deaths in the USA as the low number!

I think the government has been taking a very gentle approach with us. They don't want to rip the bandaid off and cause panic and therefore have been slow rolling us on the blunt truth.  I feel like the above number is hopelessly optimistic based on behavior of the governors in MS and FL.  That number is likely low for FL on its own at this point based on population, lack of precautions taken and a host of other factors. FL is currently listed as 21 Million people and they are largely snow birds from other parts of the US, I don't think many of them have returned home to northern states as that 'migration' would have started in Feb/March and anyone from NY or MA probably stayed put....  I hate to be doom and gloom, but they mentioned some countries have mass graves visible from space already.  If the POTUS does not significantly step up actions for collective bargaining it will be too little to late. 

I think I am not going to comment on this aspect of the thread anymore as it really brings me down...