High Grass Dog

Future Tom Petty Releases

1 hour ago, High Grass Dog said:

Here is my list of the top five projects I hope to see:

Great post! Great ideas! I certainly agree on most of what you say. I can just add that whatever mix of people calling the shots from here on, I hope they look at what's been done by the likes of Bob and Neil in terms of archival releases series. A "bootleg series" type of thing, at least with a few instalments, focusing on different eras would be a great and dignified way to work through what's in the vaults worthy of release. Within such series I can see all of your ideas being realized. 

Also, while I too think it would be fun to have all the pre Heartbreakers Mudcrutch recordings released properly released (incl what's already on playback), I think, given the 33 year hiatus, it would be weird to mix those old tapes with the "second coming" stuff.

For starters I cross my fingers for an All The Rest, packed with previously unreleased stuff following the lead of Somewhere Under Heaven.

Gr H vol 2? I don't find such at all interesting or necessary. Must say.

34 minutes ago, Mudcrutch said:

I feel like while management moves slow, they will try to quickly release some sort of "final tour" live album from the past year since there is a lot of renewed interest since the passing of Tom. :unsure:

Unfotunately, yeah. :( Not that a Kiss My Amps 3 would be anything short of awesome, perhaps including the few more rare and special songs they played this summer. But any release tending to the masses' new interest in Tom and his hits, released in time for Christmas frenzy... would be horrible and quite far from what I'd hope for or prioritize.

Personally, I would like to see more quality Blu-ray releases like the 2003 PBS Soundstage show. They pro shoot all of the concerts so it is clear that there is plenty of HD video out there. That said, no more releases like High Grass Dogs where the editing is all over the place rather than on the band. If they if use that 2003 Blu-ray as a guide it will be awesome. The 2006 Concert included in the 4 disc DVD of Running down a Dream is really pretty good as well but a Blu-ray version with HD Video and Hi-resolution audio would be very welcome indeed.

Also, a Live Anthology II to give us the live stuff from 2009 until his passing would be a nice set. I love the 2009 Live Anthology and include a Blu-ray audio like what was in the last package.

I second a Playback 2 and along with many others a deluxe Wildflowers set with Audiophile Blu-ray version as well as an 2 LP set.

The sad reality is that it takes Tom's passing to blow the dust off some of the mountains of great material that I believe exists. Put it out there while the folks who are big fans are still around (The core fan base isn't getting any younger...) and would love to buy it.

Your list sounds very realistic and I hope it all sees the light of day. Not so much a Greatest Hits 2. Also there are a couple well known abandoned sessions the 1988 Heartbreakers session that Waiting For Tonight comes from, as well as the Heartbreakers 1992 sessions. Also something I'd be very interested in is Tom said in the WXRT interview in Chicago back in 2003 that before the Vick Shows and Soundstage the band had been recording in the then new Club House. I'd be very interested in what might be there from those sessions. Studio takes of Black Leather Woman, Two Men Talkin', and Melinda maybe? Also Apparently for two weeks of rehearsals for the 40th shows the band was playing a bunch of Blues numbers for the better part of two weeks before the last couple of days they started rehearsing the set. I hope they had the presence of mind to record those early rehearsals. That could be quite an interesting set too if it made it to tape. 

Some great ideas there! For me, Mudcrutch 3 and Wildflowers All The Rest make sense and to me would be the most appropriate in terms of honouring Tom as he was by all accounts happy for these projects to go ahead and was satisfied with them from a high quality barometer perspective. There will always be that 'Would Tom be happy if we release this' type of conversation in deciding what to release or not..that's an awesome responsibility to have and it should be done with respect and artistic sensibility so I hope that Mike and The Heartbreakers have the final say on any releases and that those final decisions are not made by some faceless suit in a boardroom with a PowerPoint presentation and financial projection charts. 

Part of me is thinking that there shouldn't be any more releases because Tom has passed on and isnt in this realm to say he wants it done..but I just hope and pray that if releases are to be forthcoming that it is done in a classy way befitting of Tom and his artistry. 

For what it's worth I don't think  an official video release from the 40th anniversary tour will be done...a live audio ep of about 6 songs carefully chosen from the best performances would be the way to go there in my view if the 40th tour is in the mix for a future release..Swingin, Good Enough, You Got Lucky, Breakdown, Wildflowers, Rockin Around With You would be a nice memento from the tour.

Archive footage from the studio and band rehearsals down the years would be a blessing too to see.

well, if we still see the occasional new release of material from Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan, one thing for sure is we will be seeing releases of stuff for years to come from Tom and the boys...  

I look forward to seeing the Wildflowers All the Rest but have to wonder, how much is left in that vault? I read somewhere on this board that a lot of the 'She's the one' soundtrack was leftovers from Wildflowers.... anyone able to comment on that? 

54 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I read somewhere on this board that a lot of the 'She's the one' soundtrack was leftovers from Wildflowers.... anyone able to comment on that? 

This is correct. But there is more. And there are alt. takes of some stuff as well.

Interesting to follow this thread. There seem to be general consensus here that they will and should go ahead with the All The Rest plans. I too really hope they will.

Repacking released stuff, as in hits packages or mixed boxes Playback style, also seem popular, but is not my cup at all! Quite frankly it's my worst fear since it's so pointless, unnecessary and much guided by greed. I'm sure though, as been noted, perhaps this is the most likely thing to happen, w the typical reborn popular interest in Tom that follows his passing. (This behaviour in people always struck me as sad, if somewhat human, I suppose.)

As for videos/films, and/or yet new remastered reissues, such is not as prioritizes to me either. I guess I am all about straight sound releases of unheard music. That is adding to the music legacy with a minimum of repitition.

I would be in favor more of a box set of rarities. Vol 2 of playback over a re-release of the "classic album" with out-takes.  I've bought just about everything on multiple formats up to FMF and don't want to have to purchase the albums yet again to get the extra content.  Another thing I am not a fan of is the re-ordering of tracks to include unreleased material or to pull tracks off an album. after its been out for 20 years or more.  I tend to listen to LPs from end to end and rarely fast forward thru a song (at least for Tom. ;) ) 

I don't think we'll see anything released soon. It's gonna take some time for "The Family" to get together and rehash the past 40 years. If they decide to release anything, I'm sure it will take a long time. They are going to want everything perfect from remastering LP's to making the best, clearest and sounding video's they can. The body of works that this band created over the past 40 years could easily take another 40 years to remaster and release, let alone new video's and LP's and boxsets. My fingers are crossed, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I wouldn't mind a "Bootleg Series" type project similar to Bob Dylan's.  There's a lot of possibilities there for different volumes.  The original Mudcrutch recordings, full versions of the concerts that made up The Live Anthology or every major tour for that matter, Southern Accents sessions, a collection of the Heartbreakers' sets from the Bob Dylan tour, the Fillmore shows or one of the other residencies, a compilation of all the B-sides and outtakes that are scattered across different releases plus the still unreleased stuff.  As much as I think Tom got the recognition he deserves over the past 10 years or so, I think their legacy as a great live band has yet to be fully revealed on disc.