Sign in to follow this  
Shelter

I Feel Like A Forgotten Song

"Supernatural Radio". A kind of advance of the mood of Echo. I think it is one of the strongest numbers in the "She's the one" album. 

"Hung Up and Overdue". I also like this one a lot. A sad but not a hopeless song. This kind of "tho soundtrack of your life" songs. So sad they never did this one onstage.

On October 6, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Shelter said:

What, in your opinion, are some of the most overlooked and underrated songs of Tom's?

Lost Without You.

----I nearly put this as its own topic because I'm wondering what anyone else makes of it. I like it quite a bit, the spareness of much of the song, the simple way the instruments lightly chime in and out. A quick search says it was performed four times; I've only ever heard the version from the '93 Homecoming (ahh!) show. Seems it was always paired with Drivin' Down To Georgia, which I think is interesting. Almost like they needed to ride on the mellow leftover energy after the explosive ending of Drivin'.

----It's another example of how much Tom and the band were able to do with very little musically. Or, it seems that way but there's more going on, the solo is quite melodic and a bit longer than their more typical songs. The ending of the tune reminds me of the live versions of Breakdown where he'd go nuts.

---I don't think they returned to this more loose, nearly freeform style till Mojo, though none of those songs seem as open as this one, probably because we've yet to hear a studio version if such exists. 

---I like it. I think it's powerful, emotional and interesting musically, despite not having a lot of different parts, it feels significant yet goes by quickly. 

---Does anyone on here have an opinion on this song? I like it quite a bit.

cheers

I feel like if Lost without you had come out contemporaneously I would like it more. Now with the semi glut of releasing of unreleased songs this one sort of falls flat for me.  It sounds more dated than some of the other things we have heard.  I love Hard Promises and the albums from that era and this feels like it belongs on something like HP but as an entity without a home to ground it there is something about the song that I like but don't love... :( 

Just now, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Interesting. To me it sounds timeless, the feedback/reverb (?) of the guitars creating a heavy space that doesn't seem to belong to any particular time period.

I agree. It's a strong piece. Not among my top favorites on paper(compositionwise), but the sound (arrangement/production) is rather special. Almost spooky in it's urgency, certainly very timeless I think.

Great choices, but I don't think anyone mentioned Ain't Love Strange.  Terrific, but overlooked song.  Never played live, never anthologized.

A more recent one, I don't think anyone mentioned All You Can Carry.  Great song, never played live. 

And recently discussed on another thread, but not here - Home.  Didn't even make the "standard" Highway Companion.    

On September 10, 2019 at 3:06 PM, Shelter said:

Almost spooky in it's urgency, certainly very timeless I think.

The first time I heard it I thought it a spontaneous improv built from the high energy ending to Drivin'. I think it's even more sparse and basic than Two Men Talking yet powerful because of all the space, as if each instrument is holding back, waiting for just the right moment to express itself.

cheers

12 hours ago, WonderingWaitingWorrying said:

Hurt

Restless

Finding Out

Come On Down To My House

About To Give Out

A Mind with a Heart of Its Own

All You Can Carry

Big Weekend

Ankle Deep

I like most of those quite a bit. Also, I think most of She's The One could fall into this category. Hung up and Overdue is one of his most tender songs. Walls got the attention for being the single but I think it's one of the weaker tracks on that record, forgotten song? STO is more like the forgotten album...!

This was written while listening to Hung Up and Overdue.

cheers

I'm a little stunned by this and don't know if I trust the data on Setlistfm, but it looks like Tom only played Echo one time and that was at the Fillmore in 99?  How is it possible that they did a 59 date tour for Echo and did not bring that song out once in support of the album?   I rank that song pretty highly and its one that gets me at a deeper level lyrically...

yes I know the set-list was stagnant but it strikes me as an excellent song to use on a two night booking like they brought out Swinging on the last tour for second nights a few times to shake things up a bit.     

Just a beautiful heart-wrenching song... 

I'm with you. I love that song too, but it is long at nearly 8 minutes (on that one live version) and pretty quiet with lots of minor chords and even the word "sad" appearing a dozen times or more in the lyrics.  Have you heard the live version?  I like it a lot, but it's not the high energy up tempo rocker likely to keep an audience's attention.  I guess those reasons plus the fact that the "Echo" album had so many songs to pick from. They didn't play "Rhino Skin" very much either, likely for many of the same reasons, but that is also a favorite of mine from the album.

20 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Hung up and Overdue is one of his most tender songs. Walls got the attention for being the single but I think it's one of the weaker tracks on that record, forgotten song? STO is more like the forgotten album...!

It is an outtake from Wildflowers. Probably it was recoded the same day he recorded To Find a Friend (Ringo!). The harmonies were recorded some time later.

It is a wonderful song about lost dreams and hope.

We've come to the point here, were we may as well admit it easier to list the songs that were/are NOT "forgotten".

Seriously. I can think of some 20 or 30 songs that got about the attention they deserved (some of them even more than that). The rest of all the songs in the cataloge, with perhaps a handful exceptions, belong to my list of underrated songs.  

I don't think anyone mentioned "The Damage You've Done".  Although this might seem more mainstream than "forgotten", and it's in an early position on the album (3rd), it's been a bit overlooked by the band itself.  Never issued as a single, rarely played live - just 8 times total according to setlist fm, and not played at all on the 1987 tour.  Also never on an anthology, except in the intentionally humorous country version.   I don't normally think of it as overlooked, possibly due to it being on one of their best and most famous live bootlegs, the 1989 North Carolina radio show.  But it's a great song and possibly belongs on this list.     

10 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I don't normally think of it as overlooked, possibly due to it being on one of their best and most famous live bootlegs, the 1989 North Carolina radio show. 

I really love the organ riff Benmont plays on the studio track during the outro and really lets loose with it on this recording. One of the many good performances on that cd.

cheers

14 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I don't think anyone mentioned "The Damage You've Done".  Although this might seem more mainstream than "forgotten", and it's in an early position on the album (3rd), it's been a bit overlooked by the band itself.  Never issued as a single, rarely played live - just 8 times total according to setlist fm, and not played at all on the 1987 tour.  Also never on an anthology, except in the intentionally humorous country version.   I don't normally think of it as overlooked, possibly due to it being on one of their best and most famous live bootlegs, the 1989 North Carolina radio show.  But it's a great song and possibly belongs on this list.     

There is an awesome version of the song on the AAT box set as well. That might be my favorite version as it feels so raw and fun.. :)   Really suprising to see its been played so little live. :( 

11 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

There is an awesome version of the song on the AAT box set as well. That might be my favorite version as it feels so raw and fun.. :)   Really suprising to see its been played so little live. :( 

You're right - my mistake to overlook "An American Treasure".  I was thinking that "The Damage You've Done" hadn't made any anthologies, including live anthology.  But there it is on the deluxe version of AAT (which is the version I would assume that all of us have, as die-hard fans).   Nice to see that Mike, Benmont, Adria, Dana, and Ryan didn't overlook that song.  I admit that I haven't listened to AAT enough, but I should (and will).      

I've always loved "Magnolia", and thought it was a forgotten song tucked inside You're Gonna Get It! Never played live, no? That would be a cool one to hear. Even an acoustic version, during the "unplugged middle set" of the show. Found this version on YT. It's also interesting to hear it being sung by a female: