Sign in to follow this  
Shelter

I Feel Like A Forgotten Song

14 hours ago, Lifeshouldbesung said:

Here are some songs I like a lot that I don't think of as the most often mentioned:

First and foremost...

American Girl

... Nah, just kidding...

Down South

Big Weekend

Self-made Man

Dreamville

This One's For Me

Can't Stop the Sun

Down South and Self-Made Man would be on my list, too.

15 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

It was played once during the 1997 residency at the Fillmore, although I couldn't tell you the exact date. 

They also played Asshole. And at some show they played Zero From Outer Space. If they ever do a Live Anthology 2, it'd be nice if they shared these deep cuts that were only played a few times if at all. Like All Or Nothin'.

On 10/7/2017 at 3:33 PM, jawallac said:

Oh, "Straight Into Darkness" is one of my favorites. It just nails that feeling of "I don't know if this will work out, but I'm gonna do it anyway," then mashes it with a tinge of regret/sadness for what has happened. They played the song during the opening set of the 2008 (?) tour in Grand Rapids and I about screamed my lungs out! B)

Mine too.  I don't remember the song getting much airplay when the album came out, but it got enough for me to run out and buy the album back then.  Straight Into Darkness is one of many Tom songs that bring tears to my eyes. It may very well be my favorite one too.

Just stumbled upon Ben's live version from last year.. and went back for the original for the first time in a few months probably, and now I must say that You Can Still Change Your Mind really belongs on this list! I think you can really tell that it comes from the same time and place as The Best of Everything... That it carries some musical dna, that there's something that kinda reveals the fact that they are from the same era. But while most people seem to think that TBOE (that eventually came out in 85) is quite the masterpiece of a ballad, and while Tom himself brought that one out for quite a few live renditions, the closing ballad that actually made it to the album back in 1981, is a sadly overlooked and forgotten song, that to my ear is one of the TPATH best, quite simply. 

Wonderful version this (I know, it's been up before...) 

On 2/2/2018 at 1:56 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

They also played Asshole. And at some show they played Zero From Outer Space. If they ever do a Live Anthology 2, it'd be nice if they shared these deep cuts that were only played a few times if at all. Like All Or Nothin'.

Unfortunately the show that they played "Zero from Outer Space" (and I think "Grew Up Fast") was some kind of benefit that has never surfaced. Real bummer!

As for other She's the One songs performed live -- besides the more often played "Walls" and "Angel Dream" -- they also played the following three songs once, all at the 1997 Fillmore run: "Asshole" (1-10-97), "Climb that Hill" (1-14-97), and "Supernatural Radio" (1-15-97).

4 minutes ago, mikemono said:

Unfortunately the show that they played "Zero from Outer Space" (and I think "Grew Up Fast") was some kind of benefit that has never surfaced. Real bummer!

As for other She's the One songs performed live -- besides the more often played "Walls" and "Angel Dream" -- they also played the following three songs once, all at the 1997 Fillmore run: "Asshole" (1-10-97), "Climb that Hill" (1-14-97), and "Supernatural Radio" (1-15-97).

Have you ever seen this list? I lifted it from a 1997 fan club newsletter which I really ought to type up at some point.

Yes - " Best of Everything" ... the live version posted here is great

I would add:

No Second Thoughts  ( an early gem)
Finding Out    (I like the video of them playing it in studio )
Too Much Ain't Enough (I know this group knows this sone - but the general public has never heard it)
You and I Will Meet Again (play this at my funeral)
Come on Down to My House (just a full-out rocker)
A Mind with a Heart of Its Own   ( "My middle name is Earl" .... enough said !)
Something Good Coming    (perfect song)
All You Can Carry ( on all my more recent Petty Playlist)
Oh Maria (another gem)
I Forgive it All     (another perfect song)
Save Your Water  (exactly what I want from Mudcrutch)

On 8/16/2018 at 7:12 PM, Gregory18 said:

No love for Magnolia? I love that song. It's so simple and so romantic...

I love this song. I like the way he fits the verse "as I lay there with her by my side", such a kind of imperfection that becomes perfect. I don't know how to explain it.Same thing with "God's gift to man". I think this garage recording it's so imperfect that becomes perfect just this way. I love the lyrics of this one. I think it would had been  a good rocking number onstage.

I'm agree with the posters who have mentioned "Down South", a truly gem in my opinion. For me another captivating song in Highway Companion is "Ankle Deep". Tom as a story teller. I don't know how many times I have pushed the repeat button with this one."She said daddy you've been a mother to me". Genius.

"Rhino Skin". I understand that Tom took some distance with the songs of Echo. Even Rhino Skin fits well with the "mood" of this album, in this case it's not a number to put you down, I love the way he sings the last verses and the last minute.

"All the wrong reasons". I think the main virtue is that he doesn't go so deep trying to explain the wrong reasons. "She made a vow to have it all, it became her new religion". That's all, and it's enough. A really great song.

There are a bunch of another forgotten songs that I love, but I think it's enough for now. ;)

I love "Magnolia" for what it is but I suppose now I keep hearing it in the context of what it was supposed to be,

When it comes to YGGI! my favorites are "Hurt" and "Restless" - I freakin' love those songs so much they feel like family.

"Blue Sunday" was not a  song that I paid special attention when "The Last DJ" came out (althoug I'm a The Last DJ lover, the whole record). It was through the years when this song began to grow up in my mind. One day something happened in my imagination, and I decided to play "Dogs on the run" just after "Blue Sunday". And the chain really worked, at least in my imagination.