High Grass Dog

Tributes and covers from peers and writers

Play Bonnaroo Superjam
on Amazon Music 

Setlist

SHARE SETLIST  

1. (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover) (House Band)
    Play Video
  2. (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover) (with Hayley Williams) (with male backing vocals - ?)
    Play Video
  3. (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover) (with Rayland Baxter and Bucky Baxter)
    Play Video
  4. (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover) (with Frenship) (with male backing vocals - ?)
    Play Video
  5. (Tom Petty cover) (with Durand Jones) (vocalist - ?)
    Play Video
  6. (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover) (with Japanese Breakfast) (with male backing vocals - ?… more )
    Play Video
  7. (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover) (with Sheryl Crow) (male guitarist - ?, Vanessa… more )
    Play Video
  8. (Tom Petty cover) (with Langhorne Slim) (Danny Clinch on harmonica)
    Play Video
  9. (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover) (with Jalen N'Gonda) (two male backup vocalists - ?)
    Play Video
  10. (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover) (with Larkin Poe) (male backup vocalist - ?)
    Play Video
  11. (Tom Petty cover) (with Trevor Terndrup and… more )
    Play Video
  12. (Tom Petty cover) (with male backing vocals - ?,… more )
    Play Video
  13. (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover) (with Matt Schultz and Nick… more )
    Play Video
  14. (Tom Petty cover) (with male backing vocals - ?,… more )
    Play Video
  15. (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover) (with Vanessa Carlton) (with Larkin Poe)
    Play Video
  16. (Tom Petty cover) (with The Wild Feathers) (with male backing vocals - ?)
    Play Video
  17. (Tom Petty cover) (with male backing vocals - ?,… more )
    Play Video
  18. Encore:
  19. (Traveling Wilburys cover) (ensemble of all performers)
    Play Video
  20. (Traveling Wilburys cover) (ensemble of all performers)
    Play Video

Note: Dubbed: Into The Great Wide Open superjam; Musical Directors: Patrick Hallahan (drummer, My Morning Jacket) and Craig Pfunder (guitar and vocals, VHS Or Beta) - with house band members: Tom Blankenship (bass, My Morning Jacket), Pat Sansone (guitar, Wilco), Mark Heideger (guitar, Vandaveer), Daniel Creamer (keyboards, The Texas Gentlemen) and The Watson Twins (backing vocals)

So, how's this for making my day?! 😂  I just love this crowd rocking out!! Just watch them go on I Need To Know.. ahw.. man.. 

Also.. the band actually does a great job! They do lag at times, but they are pretty tight and IMO they have a great understanding of the song structures and unlike most TP cover bands they fully know to honor the harmony singing! Quite busy and intense lead guitar work too... Actually... when you are done being mesmerized by the spellbinding dancers, turn off the video and enjoy the sound file alone. This actually is some great playing here!

Okay this is more of just a passing mention, but it made me burble with joy when I heard it.  It's from a EDM song by AKLF called "Playground (Shut Up)" which addresses the current beef between Eminem and Machine Gun Kelly.

Takin' shots so the news will cover it
every little diss track's gonna land you another hit.
Holy shit, have I figured it out?
You're trying to make more money so you're dragging it out?
Acting like you're Tom Petty and you won’t back down
'cause you're worried someone better’s gonna take the crown?

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but this seems to be a year old.  From Paul Zolo.  A lot of this is from the book but there is a bunch of details that were left out of the book.  I really don't know how Paul had the presence of mind to write something this thoughtful so close to Tom's passing. 

https://americansongwriter.com/2017/10/life-times-tom-petty/

NIL DESPERANDUM

http://www.sebreephoto.com/copied-blog/2017/12/8/tom-petty-1950-2017-nil-desperandum

Robert Sebree got a front row seat of a big chunk of Tom's life...looks like a period from around 1989 up to his marriage with Dana, circa 2001. During that time, he shot some of my all-time favorite photos of Tom, specifically during the Wildflowers and STO era - 1994-1996. Him and Martyn Atkins were his main photo/video/art director guys. Could you imagine being able to capture Tom and the HB in the studio, during recording sessions...oh to be a fly on the wall.

Just look at those photos, man!!

©Sebree.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, Shelter said:

So, how's this for making my day?! 😂  I just love this crowd rocking out!! Just watch them go on I Need To Know.. ahw.. man.. 

Also.. the band actually does a great job! They do lag at times, but they are pretty tight and IMO they have a great understanding of the song structures and unlike most TP cover bands they fully know to honor the harmony singing! Quite busy and intense lead guitar work too... Actually... when you are done being mesmerized by the spellbinding dancers, turn off the video and enjoy the sound file alone. This actually is some great playing here!

They sure know how to get the sound right... I don't know if you can get any closer to the original than that. Must have dug deep into the arrangements, too. Pretty impressive!

9 hours ago, Shelter said:

These guys too can nail a few notes...

Lost Children was good too, nice singing. Interesting to hear a young band cover some deep cuts from TPATH. Never realized this before but the organ/keyboard part in Lost Children makes the song sound gospel-music like, the same way Learning To Fly was transformed from its roots, though here I think the song always had that component built in.

I guess my only criticism is how they went with the live finish the Heartbreakers went with on this one instead of doing their own take which I would've preferred.

Thanks for sharin'.

I'm a huge John Hiatt Fan and recently became a fan of his daughter Lilly Hiatt.  Seems she often does a couple of Wildflowers tracks live.  Not sure how much I like this cover of Time to move on, but thought it was worth sharing... 

I look up to artists who march to their own beat and don't seem to pander to anyone. Artists who are gracious to their fans while remaining true to their muse. I truly admire those who have attained some level of fame or notoriety yet still embody a certain kind of humility and kindness. That's something I really dig!’ It’s good to note that – based on my experience of filming with her - Hiatt practices what she preaches. Filming this session at the Backstage Hotel in Amsterdam was one of the most fun and energy-filled afternoons of 2018.

‘Tom Petty's Wildflowers album is a defining one for me. We started playing these two covers on tour to have fun and get a little out of the box. 

she also does Walls - audio only.