Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Thoughts on Columbus, OH show from 1995

Years and years ago I met a female friend outside Columbus, Ohio for a show on the Wildflowers tour. Looking back on it, the show was fairly unique for Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. This was back before the Internet, before one learned how similar their shows were, even down to the banter, just pure enjoyment of the music on a balmy summer night.

Polaris Amphitheater had good acoustics,, thick, rich guitar sounds flowing across the lawn as we danced and grooved to the music. 

The band seemed full of energy, from the lengthy jams in Mary Jane with moody Benmont intro, to Breakdown with the hit the road jack improv and the long jams of It's Good To Be King, which was still novel at the time.

The two biggest surprises were Come On Down To My House, which rocked and Driving Down To Georgia, just two amazing blasts of music, and improvisation. I'm grateful they played both of those songs in the same night, the intensity of  both CODTMH and Driving Down with the melodic and extended bridge and over the top, intense ending.

If I remember correctly, Honey Bee was in the encore, with American Girl and the mellow farewell of Alright For Now. I wouldn't want every show to end with that little lullaby but it was special, there in the late August night.

I have fond memories of the show, I happened to catch them in the early transition from the band they were before Greatest Hits and Wildflowers and Steve and yet still quite a ways away from being whatever they are now.

Back then I knew that whatever show I saw from a new album and tour would be different from what had gone before. It wasn't as special as the first time I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers but it was a very fun evening, the new songs sounding better live and mixing in well with the older material.

I remember being on a natural high the next day, writing the set list down from memory and filing it away, it's somewhere amidst old books and knickknacks from a more innocent time.

On August 7, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Shelter said:

So is the setlist

Speaking of, I happened to find my hand-written set list I wrote up the next day working from memory, the energy of the show still fresh in my mind. I don't know if this is on setlist.fm or not but it's the real deal:

Love is a Long Road/YDKHIF/Listen to her Heart/IWBD/FF/You Wreck Me/Diamond Head/Piano intro MJLD/brief drum into DCAHNM/A Higher Place/Learning to Fly/ ITGWO/The Waiting/Lonely Weekends/Cabin Down Below/Come On Down To My House/Breakdown/IGTBK/Drivin' Down To Georgia/Refugee/Runnin'//Honey Bee/American Girl

Besides the night, the atmosphere, being there with my future friend with benefits and the music, improvising and of course, the songs, it was a very fun night. When I shared my hardcore TPATH info the next day, she could not care less, not about the order of the songs, the improvising, any of it, any of the details and minutiae that is perhaps the backbone of the Farm. It cracks me up now, pointing out how many songs they played versus her indifference.

cheers

The odd thing is, I could've sworn they played Alright For Now at the end, but I didn't write it down the next day. So...it's the real deal though there could be some human error as well...hard to imagine I know.

I saw this tour at the Boston Garden in April of that year. April 4th 95 to be precise, so it has been 25 years nearly to the date. I remember being blown away once again and really enjoyed Driving down to Georgia. To this day I am stunned that track never made a studio album.  I actually have a strange token from this show, one of the local music rags had a full page ad in color for the tour and I somehow managed to get it transferred to a t shirt decal that I never had the heart to transfer to a t-shirt. It was a full color ad and pretty cool. I may riffle through my closet and see if  I can find it and post the image later...

The band came around to Massachusetts again that August and I sat that one out as I could not justify two dates on the same tour as I was a relatively broke college student at the time working on my second degree. They played Mansfield MA and I remember watching the 11pm news or at least watching TV that night as Channel 5 did a live segment from Great Woods with their entertainment reporter; to my delight the band was playing Driving down to Georgia at the time they were talking, so I got to see about 20 seconds of the performance. 

There is an audience recording of that Mansfield show (I did not attend) and a soundboard from Chicago of the same tour if anyone feels like takingkeing a listen.

https://livepetty.com/1995-08-14-mansfield-ma-aud/

https://livepetty.com/1995-03-08-chicago-il-sbd/

Thanks for the memories, Mary Jane's Last Dance! I remember this tour and similar experiences fondly and vividly. I went to a show at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, CA with the Jayhawks opening. It was a Sunday night in April, and the morning of the concert, another show was announced for the same venue in June.

Despite some rainfall, that 1995 concert in Mountain View was a thrilling show. It felt like it went on forever, in a good way. "Love is a Long Road" kicked things off, followed by "You Don't Know How It Feels" ... "I woke up in between...a mattress and a limousine," Tom sang, as a contact high from clouds of pot smoke intoxicated  my neighbors on the Shoreline's lawn seats. "Time To Move On," "Wildflowers," "Learning To Fly," "The Waiting," and a gorgeous cover of the Byrds' "It Won't Be Wrong" were all sprinkled in to the acoustic set

A friend of mine drove from Los Angeles to the Bay Area to go to the show with me.  A few months later, I went to LA to meet the same friend to go to the Heartbreakers' first concert at the Hollywood Bowl on a Friday night, with Taj Mahal opening. Again, it was magical. I got back to the Bay Area late Monday night. Went back to work on Tuesday morning, and got so excited telling my coworkers about the show at the Bowl, I decided to drive back to the Shoreline that night to do it all over again. I was about 25, driving spontaneously to a Heartbreakers concert felt like I was absolutely headed in the right direction in life that night.

That second Shoreline show provided all kinds of sweet treats. During the acoustic set, Tom replaced "Time To Move On" with the first public performance of "California". The extended encore opened with "Breakdown/Hit the Road, Jack" before TP ripped through "Around and Around" and "Bright Lights, Big City", "Honey Bee", "American Girl', and, finally, "Alright For Now"—the only time I heard that beautiful lullabye in more than 40 Heartbreakers concerts between 1991-2014.

3-10 It Won't Be Wrong (Live At The Orpheum Theatre, Memphis, TN 5_30_95).flac

That's a much better audience tape than the Milwaukee tape.  But I'd really love to hear a proper soundboard of those voices on "It Won't Be Wrong". The Heartbreakers didn't really do close harmony very much.  This is a great example.

2 hours ago, TomFest said:

That's a much better audience tape than the Milwaukee tape.  But I'd really love to hear a proper soundboard of those voices on "It Won't Be Wrong". The Heartbreakers didn't really do close harmony very much.  This is a great example.

Here's another one from 3/10/95

3-10 It Won't Be Wrong (Live At The Orpheum Theatre, Memphis, TN 5_30_95).flac

16 hours ago, peterdimples said:

Thanks for the memories, Mary Jane's Last Dance! I remember this tour and similar experiences fondly and vividly. I went to a show at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, CA with the Jayhawks opening. It was a Sunday night in April, and the morning of the concert, another show was announced for the same venue in June.

Despite some rainfall, that 1995 concert in Mountain View was a thrilling show.

Glad you enjoyed reading about it. Probably that show and my first one from the ITGWO tour were the best TPATH shows I saw for the emotional connections to the night in addition to the songs played and the atmosphere.

It felt like it went on forever, in a good way.

That's great when a concert feels that way!

Went back to work on Tuesday morning, and got so excited telling my coworkers about the show at the Bowl, I decided to drive back to the Shoreline that night to do it all over again. I was about 25, driving spontaneously to a Heartbreakers concert felt like I was absolutely headed in the right direction in life that night.

Ha ha ha, great! 

That second Shoreline show provided all kinds of sweet treats. During the acoustic set, Tom replaced "Time To Move On" with the first public performance of "California". The extended encore opened with "Breakdown/Hit the Road, Jack" before TP ripped through "Around and Around" and "Bright Lights, Big City", "Honey Bee", "American Girl', and, finally, "Alright For Now"—the only time I heard that beautiful lullabye in more than 40 Heartbreakers concerts between 1991-2014.

I bet you were happy you drove out that night! That is a pretty loaded set for the band. Interesting about Alright For Now, I could've sworn I heard them play it once in person as well, and if I did, most likely it was this Columbus/Polaris Ohio show yet I didn't write it down the next day, so I'm not quite sure. But I'm glad you got to hear it; what a treat, such a gentle song and a nice farewell from stage to audience.

Thanks for your tales peterdimples.

cheers

14 hours ago, peterdimples said:

They didn't play a show on 3/10, but did on 3/9 and 3/11 (Petty Archives source). Also, it looks like you just uploaded the same file twice: the acapella-driven version of "It Won't Be Wrong" from the 5/30 Memphis TN show.

Nevertheless, that's a great version of the song; the version they played on 3/5 was earlier in the set and a full band version that sounds much like the original Byrds recording, so it's interesting to compare the two.

It Won't Be Wrong (live 3-5-95).mp3

On 4/22/2020 at 9:54 AM, mikemono said:

it looks like you just uploaded the same file twice: the acapella-driven version of "It Won't Be Wrong" from the 5/30 Memphis TN show.

It Won't Be Wrong (live 3-5-95).mp3 3.77 MB · 2 downloads

Sorry about that. I'm on a MacBook Air that has a folder that's jammed with mp3s of TPHBS rare live tracks of various quality. During quarantine, I roll out of bed and go to work on this computer with some pretty good headphones. I'm finding tons of stuff I've downloaded but have not listened to. Its pretty neat