Sign in to follow this  
Liberty

Tour Annoucement (6/24/17)

I got an HCC email saying:
"Exciting Tour Announcement Coming Saturday Night!

Get ready for an exciting announcement regarding the Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 40th Anniversary Tour - coming this Saturday night, June 24th!"

They never sent anything out like this when they added new dates, so I can't think it would be any extra dates.
A filmed concert for DVD? Live album? Special Guest at some shows?  Stevie?
Any ideas?
At any rate, we'll know by tomorrow night. Haha! :D I'm excited.

17 hours ago, nurktwin said:

Probably just announce new shows at the Hollywood Bowl in LA.

On point, Nurktwin! :D

The announcement came around 12AM EST:
Their last stop will be Hollywood Bowl with Lucinda Williams as a special guest!

5 hours ago, Liberty said:

Is it still too late to hold out hope for a recorded concert? :( lol

^ Like I've pointed out elsewhere, I think they need to play a couple more songs here and there, in order to have enough to pick from, so they don't have to duplicate so much, should they plan a live release. A straight up show would (at least so far) not add much to all the releases we already have, as I see it. On the other hand.. upcoming Stevie and now Lucinda guest appearances is obvious chances to break loose and play something different, preferably together.. can I finally hope for Change The Locks at the Bowl? Or perhaps Real Life Bleeding Fingers with a bleeding solo  (not literally) from MC? Car Wheels on a Gravel Road? There's a million options here! Go Lucinda - such great guest! Now, please make use of this opportunity, TP!!

18 hours ago, Shelter said:

^ Like I've pointed out elsewhere, I think they need to play a couple more songs here and there, in order to have enough to pick from, so they don't have to duplicate so much, should they plan a live release. A straight up show would (at least so far) not add much to all the releases we already have, as I see it. On the other hand.. upcoming Stevie and now Lucinda guest appearances is obvious chances to break loose and play something different, preferably together.. can I finally hope for Change The Locks at the Bowl? Or perhaps Real Life Bleeding Fingers with a bleeding solo  (not literally) from MC? Car Wheels on a Gravel Road? There's a million options here! Go Lucinda - such great guest! Now, please make use of this opportunity, TP!!

TPATH is so great when they expand outwards a little bit. (I'm not going to say 'come out of their comfort zone' because that simply isn't the case). I think TPHB are a little too paranoid thinking they have to play all of the hits to put on a great show. That's not the case. It doesn't matter who I see play live... I do not want to hear a repeat of the studio tracks / greatest hits.
When I go see a band play live, it's because I want a totally different experience from the albums. I want to see them jam.

A lot of newer artists tend to just do a karaoke session with background tracks because they made sounds in the studio that are too difficult to replicate live.
(I don't mean faking ability. I just mean sort of experimental stuff with a bunch of odds and ends instruments). IMO, they should adapt their songs rather than replicate their songs.

Anyway, if TPHB wants to do something a little spontaneous, I say... GO FOR IT! What's the worst that could go wrong?
Some washed up newspaper reporter writes a bad review of one or two songs? Who cares. They're in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.
They're at the pinnacle of rockstardom. They can do whatever the hell they want to.
They don't have to live like refugees who feel compelled to play all the hits to get by. ;) 

18 hours ago, Shelter said:

I'm sure they'll do a HCC digital download live album like they've done for the past few tours. HCC is still messed up though. I renewed like a day before the tour was announced, so I got nothing from the most recent package. I have to pay extra to get the stuff. Bummer. Practically a rip-off of $55 or whatever.

Well, I decided to travel to LA for the Hollywood Bowl show. Being the last in the tour and being close to home maybe they will pull out some special songs. It is highly unlikely there will be a '50th Anniversary' tour and short of the possibility of a small venue Wildflowers tour (which I still hope happens!) or a new album tour this may be the last big show for this wonderful band. I saw them in St. Paul and the show was a bit short (1 hour 50 min) and they stuck with the standard set list. They were engaged and looked to be having fun but it was a show in the middle of a large tour where they are playing almost nightly so it is hard to expect them to go all out. This show (Hollywood Bowl) may be different with them knowing they get a break afterwards. Anyways, that is my hope. 

57 minutes ago, Earl Thomas said:

It is highly unlikely there will be a '50th Anniversary' tour

:D never say never. (if it's happening, I'll be on unibet with my life savings, predicting the set list, easiest money ever.)

57 minutes ago, Earl Thomas said:

or a new album tour

Yeah, that has got to be the most unlikely thing of all. When did it even happening last? I suppose Mojo tour cut the mark for an "album tour", sure, and the Olympic 2002 was truly an "album show".. but well... otherwise it's back to 95 or even 92 for the concept of "new album tour" to out shine the greatest hits revue that's been rolled out in various shapes most of the times I can think of.

Either way, don't count on it. Enjoy the Bowl, I am a little envious of all of you who are going to what may turn out to be last big one!

I thought about it for just a short time before deciding I needed to do this. There are just too many variables in life to not take advantage of some things and this is one of them. That said, I am fortunate to be at a point in my life where I can afford to shell out some $ and organize the ticket, flight and car plus any other misc. expenses. Will it be a better show than I saw June 3rd at home? I dunno but it will be fun....

2nd show has been announced and I'm sure the 3rd will follow soon. I just wish 3 or 4 shows could all be announced at the same time. Then you can turn down seats in row 500 about a mile away and try for the next show. But then they would never sell out a show! Just go for anything you can get and have a great time. I'll see you in Cali, have fun.

46 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

I just wish 3 or 4 shows could all be announced at the same time. Then you can turn down seats in row 500 about a mile away and try for the next show. But then they would never sell out a show!

I think they could easily sell out three or four shows at H B. Or five. Or perhaps even six... Certainly if they put the "last big hooray" hype tag on them. Instead they take the cowardly way with it sneaking it one show at the time, building a perverse exclusivness hype around it, selling on "false" presumptions as it were.. Either way it's nasty business, but at least showing all the cards is honest, instead of just acting ugly, having fans calling their bluff. This could be the last one, no this one could, no this one.. To me this is just another aspect of the game gone sour. Sorry. That said, last stand at the Bowl could and should be legendary. 

Lucinda for night 2 as well?

On 6/29/2017 at 5:42 PM, nurktwin said:

^  I agree, just do it, announce a 5 night stand and be done with it. These dates were probably set last fall. You don't just announce 1 date at a time at the Hollywood Bowl at any time you want. Give us a break!!

I'm not sure about this. They announced the HB show and then they went on sale just a few days later... sold out almost immediately.
The next show is the next night... announced it after the first one sold out, plus, it doesn't go on sale for a while.
I would think if they had been planning the second show for a while, that the ticketing and everything would be in order like the first show.
Either way, it wouldn't surprise me if a tour manager or someone wanted to keep it an open possibility they would play a second date at the HB.
Tickets sold out really quickly for this tour. Klipsh (Indy) holds 25K people and it was listed as sold out after like two weeks of going on sale.

I can certainly say that I was quite annoyed when they announced the second night. I spent for airfare, a car and a 6th row seat for what was hyped as the 'last' show in the tour. Then once they sell it out there is miraculously a second show announced.....this may be the way the 'game' is played but it is disingenuous to the fans and really makes it feel like a cash grab. Will i buy a ticket for the 2nd night? 95% + chance that i will because I wanted to be at the last show. My guess is that more than 50% of the people going to the original 'last show' will be also going to the 2nd night and that is likely a low estimate...had I known this was going to happen i would have bought a 'cheap' seat for the 1st night and a really good seat for the last night....

15 hours ago, Liberty said:

I'm not sure about this. They announced the HB show and then they went on sale just a few days later... sold out almost immediately.
---
Tickets sold out really quickly for this tour. Klipsh (Indy) holds 25K people and it was listed as sold out after like two weeks of going on sale.

Must say, that does not seem to compute with my understanding. (Now, you may be right, but if so, there are other things wrong, elsewhere.) From what I understand, I'm not sure most of the shows so far did sell out at all. Some of them have been listed as "sold out", admittedly, but most has not and most have had tickets "available" up until very close to show time.*  

And as for the remaining dates, at least from here, it looks like there are still seats at "Ticketmonopoly" for most dates, from most angles. Perhaps those are mostly listed at for-rich-kids-only prices (yikes!!), but pricing, just like other aspects of dealing with tours and tickets these days, is just another symptome of the disease, so to speak. This has all entered the realm of product lines and brand maximizing. After some years of hanging on a fence between music and business (pleasure and pain as it were) - a fence it is totally normal to be backed up against when you have enough fans, but at which at least some heroes manage to hold their ground surprisingly well - TPATH have now finally sorta fallen down the wrong side, it may seem. At least that's my understanding and I see way too many signs pointing off in this general direction foul. This year's tour have grown to be an unabashedly traveling brand display. And while that in one way could be expected from a hits tour celebrating the 40 years of this band, the content has already been celebrated to near death (my opinion) and the outter format of it all meanwhile has taken yet a few small steps ever closer to the horrors ridiculed on the Last DJ album. Never have that album ringed more false than it does today, when the list of things TP seems to have agreed upon in the name of collecting his pay check, soon have him placed right in the middle of enemy lines, comforted to death by that same industry and mind set that he so rightly badmouthed on DJ.

The three big reasons I personally love this band so much are: their songs, their personalities/integrity and their heart and soul as musicians that are great on record but even more fantastic live. Over the last few years, I must say that it's grown increasingly clear to me, that almost all of those songs have not been performed live more than once, if ever, and that the really cool and so rare and much cherished (by me!!) integrity aspect, also largely are going AVOL these days, at least in part it's fallen down the wide crack that is opening between what TP says and what TP does. He says a lot of stuff, the way he always did, but these days he acts just exactly the way any other big heartless money collecting act would (save for a few humbeling nods and remarks on stage, that still reveal that he wants to come across, and likely really is, a good guy, he just happened to signed the contract that's all.) What is still here, for me, is their incredible musicianship! And one out of three aspects remaining, of what once was a special love for a special band... well.. it's something.. but it's not the best and most optimal way to manage a ultra rare legacy, if you ask me. I saved my money, and my bleeding heart, perhaps, this year. Next time, I think I go see Kiss instead, what's the difference, other than honesty?  

Ok, so that derailed a bit. Sorry... you know how that goes with me...

Back on topic: As I understand it, most dates (all?) have been success in terms of profit. Just a handful of them, though, has really been sold out. (So far, if true, that is interesting math in itself.) As for HB, I can still find tickets to both shows, although I take it they will soon be sold out indeed. Just to add my cents and perspective, that is. Not to be rude. 

---

*The whole trickery of all that is an interesting subject in itself. If mostly something you don't normally have to reflect much upon if you are not identify yourself as more of a customer and/or a fan of the big label, big star, big patented, standardized and sponsored S-H-O-W-S by names likes of Madonna, U2, The Eagles and all the current wallfowers and big teen sensations of Bieber, Beyonce, Cyrus, Swift, hip hop super stars and what have you. All of which may or may not come from a music oriented place, but arguably have all ended up being swallowed up by the money and turned into elaborate puppets of the machine, all about sales and hype, the way the world is spinning these days. They could have been a new trendy burger, or a new big-selling toy from the latest movie, but they just happened to be good looking people with a management and a musical talent of various degrees and sorts. God knows - both real musical geniuses and mindless miming dancers alike, have fallen into the market pit over the years. From a straight recorded body of work aspect, it may be deeply unfair to compare Don Henley to the latest lipsyncing teenager, but no matter the outset, these days they do play the same side of the chess board - and they soon have us all in mate too. One pawn after the other, trying to combine success and legacy with integrity and artistic pride is falling all over the board apparently. The general consensus - and the biggest scam of all - is that "there is no other way". (If you - not You, but "you" - agree to that and you help making this world a decidedly more miserable place.) 

To an extent, I do agree with your point about the "crack that is opening between what TP says and what TP does."
I like that their music is honest. I like that Mojo and Hypnotic Eye are recorded live (though it's not really a requirement to me).
But I do see a distance between TP and his involvement in what the name "Tom Petty" means.
I personally feel this step back is just a nod towards retirement. I would also get tired of constantly fighting to avoid hypocrisy or to ensure humility.
I think some of the more political songs TP wrote that ended up on Hypnotic Eye show that his heart is still in the game a little bit,
but that at the end of the day...
He's 67 (almost).
I wouldn't want to be as involved as he would have to be in order to ensure that his voice and actions are the same if I were his age.
I don't think that Tom doesn't stand against corporatism, greed, etc... but what I'm saying is,
I feel he's reached an age where he doesn't want to stand up out of his rocking chair, so to speak.

I'll leave you with a quote from Walt Whitman:

"Listener up there! what have you to confide to me?
Look in my face while I snuff the sidle of evening,
(Talk honestly, no one else hears you, and I stay only a
     minute longer.)

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

I concentrate toward them that are nigh, I wait on the door-slab.

Who has done his day's work? who will soonest be through
     with his supper?
Who wishes to walk with me?

Will you speak before I am gone? will you prove already too
     late?"

On 6/29/2017 at 4:44 PM, nurktwin said:

2nd show has been announced and I'm sure the 3rd will follow soon. I just wish 3 or 4 shows could all be announced at the same time. Then you can turn down seats in row 500 about a mile away and try for the next show. But then they would never sell out a show! Just go for anything you can get and have a great time. I'll see you in Cali, have fun.

... And here it is! 

A THIRD show was just announced! :o

On July 18, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Liberty said:

I like that their music is honest. I like that Mojo and Hypnotic Eye are recorded live (though it's not really a requirement to me)

My understanding is Mojo is more live than Hypnotic Eye but I agree, Tom comes across like whatever he plays is genuine, even when he's taking on the role of a character in the songs.

I'd be quite surprised if there is another big tour after this one. I don't know what they are planning for Wildflowers but I hope they take it around enough so that people who love the album get a chance to see it. After that I can picture residencies in LA, close to home for them, maybe live online shows.

My impression is I think once the obligation of touring is over they'll be recording quite a lot of music, though as to how it's released, wh knows?

cheers

On 8/29/2017 at 7:42 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

My understanding is Mojo is more live than Hypnotic Eye but I agree, Tom comes across like whatever he plays is genuine, even when he's taking on the role of a character in the songs.

I'd be quite surprised if there is another big tour after this one. I don't know what they are planning for Wildflowers but I hope they take it around enough so that people who love the album get a chance to see it. After that I can picture residencies in LA, close to home for them, maybe live online shows.

My impression is I think once the obligation of touring is over they'll be recording quite a lot of music, though as to how it's released, wh knows?

cheers

Who knows. I can see them doing a couple small tours, but nothing as big as this again. (Unless they're all still feeling super healthy in ten years for the 50th, LOL).
I'm skeptical about making more albums. I hope they do, but I'm honestly not holding my breath.
At this point, I don't think they will do any Wildflowers shows. I think their answer to this is the mini Wildflower set in the middle of the shows this tour. This tour's set list was pretty Wildflowers heavy by popular demand.

I would still love to see a Wildflowers deluxe edition, though. Surely there's some cut gems and demos somewhere...
And I mean an official release with a physical disc/LP... not just something on Tom Petty Radio.