Shelter

2017 Tour Trail - memories, pics, songs played

40 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

It's safe to say that without the meteorological intervention, Tom was going to play the same set both nights in a row at the same location. Which is disappointing and doesn't bode well for  other surprises on the rest of this tour.  Oh well.

Peace!

You're absolutely right. We were extremely fortunate that Mother Nature intervened.  I really hope that they do different stuff along the way.  I really do!

So.. as for the "jam session" that happened after TPATH was caught mid workday, awokened by lightning, literally.. all I've seen from it cuts in in the middle, but there seems to be three parts, just one of which being Carol. This is what I hear:

Unknown - Down The Road A Piece - Carol

Anyone knows how long this went on in total and what, if anything, that first part was called, or if it was just Ben's Frenzy so to speak...

it does say a lot how totally nuts we go over so little, doesn't it. in terms of the unexpected. if THIS is the most exciting things can get with this band these days.. we've come a long way.. in a not so good way, may I add. if THIS is "spontanity" for you (sidestepping the setlist with two songs already on the cummulative list and one little jam) then we are all turning to robots, people.

still.. it also makes me think how easy - like I so often claimed - it would be for these guys to incorporate some spontanity, or even plan some(!) for each show. seriously. with a band like this, capable of THIS, something like it should really be the low water mark, rather than a potential decade highlight, imo. 

21 minutes ago, TomFest said:

Shelter - congratulations on your 1,000th post complaining about the setlist!  If you're going for the record, I think you've got it.

TomFest, I think you're being very unfair here. I've at least 1,000 set list complaints too, sure, some of them may be in the same post but let's not quibble, especially over something so important! :D

2 hours ago, TomFest said:

Shelter - congratulations on your 1,000th post complaining about the setlist!  If you're going for the record, I think you've got it.

:D

Thank you!

(Although, I really think you must have missed a few of my posts. Or at least some of the good spirit most of them were made in.)

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

TomFest, I think you're being very unfair here. I've at least 1,000 set list complaints too, sure, some of them may be in the same post but let's not quibble, especially over something so important! :D

You can have the grand prize and the record, if you want, MJ2LD. But you should be more careful, not to use too few posts to put your points across. You need to post a lot more! In the meantime, enjoy my record, please. I'm not interested in stuff like that. I don't look back. Next!!

Simple fix to the set list dilemma - just have 2 set list that you play on alternate nights....brilliant !

Have a handful of alternate songs positioned in the list that can be changed out. Its 2017... I am sure the computer programs can figure out the timing of a alternate light show - just name them Light Show A & Light Show B.... again ....brilliant.

You can keep the mandatory songs (Free Fallen, Refugee, etc.). The alternates can even be in the same catagory (i.e. acoustic or from the same album). The suggested alternates would also give better overall representation of the 40 years than close to half the songs coming  from 2 albums. There are so many hits, the rythmn of the show would not drasticlly change and no one would be disappointed.

1. Rockin' Around With You (keep this deep cut and symbolic first song from first album)
2. Mary Jane's Last Dance (mandatory)
3. You Don't Know How It Feels (alt. Listen to Her Heart)
4. Forgotten Man (new song - ok keep)
5. You Got Lucky (alt. Change of Heart)
6. I Won't Back Down (mandatory)
7. Free Fallin (mandatory)
8. Walls (alt. The Waiting)
9.. It's Good To Be King (alt. Swingin - use this as the longer jam song)
10. Don't Come Around Here No More (mandatory / theatrical moment of show)
11. Wildflowers (alt. Rebels - acoustic version)
12. Time To Move On (alt. Jammin Me)
13. Learning To Fly (mandatory)
14. Yer So Bad  (alt. Hear Comes My Girl)
15. I Should Have Known It.  (represents recent work...ok)
16. Refugee  (mandatory)
17. Running Down A Dream  (mandatory)

18. Carol (Cover - since they seem to like this recently) 
19. You Wreck Me  (mandatory)
20. American Girl  (mandatory)

If I can suggest this alternate list for the July 29th Phila show.

21 hours ago, Shelter said:

Anyone knows how long this went on in total and what, if anything, that first part was called, or if it was just Ben's Frenzy so to speak...

It was "Tenchtyme"!

Instead of "Listen to Her Heart" being an alternate because it's been done to death as well, why not one more deep cut? How about "Surrender"? It's got a pretty legendary status of being recorded several times for several albums but never making the cut. Be a fun little number for them to do.

16 hours ago, WonderingWaitingWorrying said:

Have a handful of alternate songs positioned in the list that can be changed out. Its 2017... I am sure the computer programs can figure out the timing of a alternate light show - just name them Light Show A & Light Show B.... again ....brilliant.

Nice suggestion. I would simply add a bit more variety here and there at some points with the alternate songs. I'd also add in Melinda, Driving Down to Georiga, Saving Grace (played like in '08) and others as the alternating big jam numbers. And if they're going to throw in a cover, mix those up all the time, they know a lot of them.

I don't think changing the setlist every night is that important. The only people who care are a. privileged people who get to see multiple shows on a given tour (a very small audience) and b. setlist obsessives who follow the stats online. I belong to the second group (for better or worse! haha) and admit it would be abstractly satisfying to see different songs pop up night to night. But we're not in the arenas night after night, so how much difference would it really make? To me, the issue is varying the setlist tour to tour. That is where they have just phoned it in for the most part, keeping the same setlist construction not just from the 2014 prototype but the last decade of relatively static tours.

49 minutes ago, High Grass Dog said:

I don't think changing the setlist every night is that important. 

Au contraire.

58 minutes ago, High Grass Dog said:

The only people who care are a. privileged people who get to see multiple shows on a given tour (a very small audience) and b. setlist obsessives who follow the stats online.

Ha ha, pretty much. Though I believe the band would care but I'll get to that soon enough.

59 minutes ago, High Grass Dog said:

and admit it would be abstractly satisfying to see different songs pop up night to night.

Beyond the abstract, think of the live recordings! 

1 hour ago, High Grass Dog said:

But we're not in the arenas night after night, so how much difference would it really make?

I think it would mean something to the band. As professionals they go out there and play the same set (pretty much) night after night and do whatever they have to mentally to not just get through it, but find joy in the playing. Mike's said so a couple times while interviewed. I believe the band's playing would improve in unheard ways with a different set each night. Instead of having to find the joy in playing Refugee right before Running at the conclusion of the main set, they'd meet each night's concert with the fresh energy the new brings into life.

If you have a master chef at your disposal you don't ask him to make you a grilled cheese...every single night! You let that fella cook. Same with Benmont, heck, the whole band. So it would make a difference to the band. And thereby, it would make a difference to the audience, not only would the performances improve, each one would be unique to that night. Is anyone really happy hearing roughly the same banter night to night? Tom's not a stand up comedian having to follow the same routine, he can say or not say whatever he wants up there.

1 hour ago, High Grass Dog said:

To me, the issue is varying the setlist tour to tour. That is where they have just phoned it in for the most part, keeping the same setlist construction not just from the 2014 prototype but the last decade of relatively static tours.

Never one for daring set lists on album tours, they've really gotten worse with time. While there were some similarities between the WF and Echo tours, there was a sense of some things having been changed.  But they've really failed in this regard, lately. How many shows have ended with I Should Have Known It through Running Down A Dream?  Look at how many tours kept You Don't Know How It Feels as the second song? Has I Won't Back Down been played later in the set? It's ridiculous that not only do the nights of a given tour blur together but that this happens over years...! 

19 hours ago, Shelter said:

and quite obvious.

I was not suggesting this was the perfect setlist. But recognizing this tour is a "hits" only tour with little chance of deep cuts, improvisation or unique covers - I was just thinking the level of effort to do something different night to night is minimal. I can't imagine it is fun for the band to play the same set over and over (year after year). Its probably frustrating for this group of fans when you know there is so much more there for them to offer. 

Even though none of us are there every night - I actually love to see a decent You Tube video of a band doing a unique song or performance. I don't have to be there to appreciate or enjoy it (Petty Lynne and Prince at RRHOF, Eddie Vedder joining them on The Waiting, etc... all good stuff..was not there for those.). 

We can only cross our fingers and hold our breath for the Wildflowers Tour at the Beacon or Fonda to get to see the full expression of this band.

1 hour ago, WonderingWaitingWorrying said:

I can't imagine it is fun for the band to play the same set over and over (year after year). Its probably frustrating for this group of fans when you know there is so much more there for them to offer. 

Definitely.

1 hour ago, WonderingWaitingWorrying said:

for the Wildflowers Tour at the Beacon or Fonda to get to see the full expression of this band.

In retrospect, maybe they should've made this a Wildflowers tour and a Greatest Hits tour and promoted as such. People need to know that the first set would be WF no exceptions so if it's not there thing they could pass. 

I think along with FMF and DTT, WF is his most popular record, so maybe a lot of the crowd would be happy with it.

The first set Wildflowers in its entirety. An intermission and a second set of a lot of Greatest Hits and whatever else they feel like playing. This would give more people a chance to see WF if they only do the small theatre approach with that record.

5 hours ago, WonderingWaitingWorrying said:

I was not suggesting this was the perfect setlist.

I know. I totally agree with what you say. I meant that the approach you described is obvious. I think almost everyone would agree, that a bit of rotating, similar in shape to what you suggest, would be very easily accomplished, very successful in many ways, and represent both the catalogue and the hits better. All the boxes checked, so to speak. I don't think it makes sense to deny that it's obvious in that respect. How much and in what specific way it should be applied would of course be debatable and up to TP. That he don't find the approach worth while for other reasons, that he's taken his music down a different and more of a museum exhibition type of display, that he simply don't want to do it in any other way is quite clear and should not be denied either. It is what it is. I just suggest that it's sad and not at all necessary.

My argument always was, much like yours, I take it, that very little effort, really would take things a long way towards taking the TPATH live experience back into the realm of the dynamic, developing and artistically interesting. Especially from one tour to another, like some underlined recently, it's a senseless waste not to move along and go places. But they've stopped and done this particular way of celebrating their 40 years almost to the point in the last 15 years already. It's behind glad. It's made of wax. That's the perspective from which I think you're right and your "model" obvious. Kudos! Is all I'm saying. I wish the management had a place for you.

On 6/1/2017 at 1:03 AM, Shelter said:

From the start of Tom's "guitar not working" to the end of Oh Carol it was about 8-10 mins. It was the best part of the entire show. I felt lucky to be there with how stagnant the set list has been. 

On 6/2/2017 at 11:28 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Nice suggestion. I would simply add a bit more variety here and there at some points with the alternate songs. I'd also add in Melinda, Driving Down to Georiga, Saving Grace (played like in '08) and others as the alternating big jam numbers. And if they're going to throw in a cover, mix those up all the time, they know a lot of them.

I could have died a very, VERY happy woman had they done Melinda!