Shelter

2017 Tour Trail - memories, pics, songs played

Neither would I, but others do.  I'm from the old days when concert tickets were $5.  When they went up to $20, I thought that was too much.  Those days are long gone.  I think the cost of concert tickets today is outrageous.

3 hours ago, Lorra said:

I think the cost of concert tickets today is outrageous.

Yeah.. even considering the change in money value, this development pretty much killed rock'n'roll dead. What we have is a pimped ghost of what used to be wild and raw. And for most part, that about as much as most people can take these days, anyway. We've been numbed out... sad to say. 

On 3/13/2018 at 12:48 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

Row six for the Boston Garden was $375 a ticket.  Worth every penny especially in retrospect. :( 

I got row 3, center section for Forest Hills for $176.45 ($155 plus fees).  Concert tickets prices are insane but I thought this was a real bargain.  Even though they had the three premium packages they held tickets at the regular prices in those sections as well.  T.P. was always better than most over the years on prices.  He not only always charged way below what the market would bear but he tried to get tickets to his actual fans.  

10 hours ago, TPfan1000 said:

I got row 3, center section for Forest Hills for $176.45 ($155 plus fees).  Concert tickets prices are insane but I thought this was a real bargain.  Even though they had the three premium packages they held tickets at the regular prices in those sections as well.  T.P. was always better than most over the years on prices.  He not only always charged way below what the market would bear but he tried to get tickets to his actual fans.  

that to me is the score of the century!  I did have the benefit of the fan club 'extras' like the duffle bag, poster, key chain and licence plate but that is not a 150 value. LOL  I'm glad we ran the extras to the car before the show as the floor was covered in beer before the night was out which would have ruined some of the swag... 

Saw this referenced on TomPetty Nation but the link wasn't valid so found this from the official site. What a kind gesture from Tom and the band.

Xcel Energy Center

St. Paul, MN

June 3, 2017

“Oh my, Ron…you are VERY handsome in person.”

Ron Blair blushed as the entire room backstage at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN exploded in laughter around the smiling Heartbreakers bass player and Laury Myhre, a long-time Heartbreakers fan with terminal cancer who met the band before they went onstage. Laury told the guys how much she loved their music and how much meeting them meant to her. One of her friends handed Benmont an old publicity photo of a band Laury used to play in, and everyone gathered around her to check it out.

Later that night, in between “Free Fallin’” and ‘Walls,” Tom walked to the mic and said, “We met a girl named Laury just before we came onstage, and we’re gonna dedicate this next one to her.”

So I just realized today is the anniversary of my second to last show with Tom.  Hartford CT June 14th 2017.  It was a crazy day for the wife and I along with thousands of other Petty fans, baseball fans and people trying to get around Hartford. Everything was fine and Waze told me we would be there by 6pm when we left home.  It was a perfect storm of traffic. There was the Petty show as well as a half dozen other events that day.  It took almost 3 hours to go the last 3 or so miles, we got one of the last parking spots at the Xfinity theater which was pure luck. It was my most miserable pre-concert experiences ever as we had no idea if we would make it to the show.  

We caught 2 songs by Joe Walsh  Rocky Mountain High was one of them and I will seemingly forever wonder why there was a balloon that says "60" on the stage with him.  

Tom's set was great, as always he was so appreciative of the crowd, genuinely happy to be performing in front of us.  As he said they dropped the needle all over the record collection starting off as they did every show that tour with Rockin around with you and ending with American girl.  Sadly he didn't play Swinging that night but he sounded amazing and looked pretty good overall.  He gained a little weight and I thought good for him, dudes too skinny.  I walked away satisfied and even stayed right until the end, something I don't always do as I hate sitting in post concert traffic.  He for sure was walking with a bit of crouch as he walked around the stage but from fairly near the front he seemed to be doing fine and was full of energy and life.   

Coincidently I also saw Tom on June 13th 2008 at the Boston Garden.  If memory serves it was my first time back since they tore the original garden down and it was a much nicer venue.  Then if we hit the way back machine June 27th 1987 was my very first Petty show.  A very nice bootleg exists of that show in Mansfield MA if you want to check it out.  Over 8 months since we lost him and I'm still brought to tears at times.  thanks for reading. :) 😢

IMG_8062.JPG

IMG_8021.JPG

IMG_8050.JPG

IMG_8057.JPG

Annnd I just realized last night that I saw Mudcrutch at the House of Blues Boston on 6/15/16.  I guess its my Pettiest Month and days having seen them three days in a row in seperate years plus my bonus firtst show.... 

Quite a nice run of days for me..

6/13/2008 Boston Garden

6/14/2017 Hartford

6/15/2016 Mudcrutch Boston House of Blues

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

Crystal River was really interesting live!  Such a trippy song with a nice meandering interlude, it was pretty amazing seeing Tom in such a small space and his interplay with the rest of the band made it all the better, I had hoped for a "3" and another club tour.  I resisted the urge to force my way up to the stage and try for autographs from the boys . I have mixed feelings about that now, as I am somewhat of an autograph hound and I never had a chance with the Heartbreakers in any of the venues I saw them in.   They closed with High School confidential and it was such a short rocker I was expecting another song, but then again when have I ever not wanted a few more songs from these guys? :)