Shelter

2017 Tour Trail - memories, pics, songs played

9 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

The "Tour Trail" is getting shorter!!

The two questions for me, are will they do something different for the Hollywood Bowl shows since I think this will be it for these big tours of Greatest Hits and are they going to do a Wildflowers tour.

With the former, maybe they'll pull out things like Listen To Her Heart, Breakdown, the Waiting, Driving Down to Georgia and even the long shot You And I Will Meet Again. 

Regarding the latterI think so, just hope they get around enough for people to get to see it.

Wildflowers can work in places like the Greek, Blossom, Great Woods, it doesn't have to be smaller residency type places like the Fonda or Beacon. My impression is a lot of people discovered him with this record and love it; probably up there with Full Moon Fever and Damn The Torpedoes in overall popularity.

I don't think The Hollywood Bowl shows this year will be any different than past shows. You stick with what works. As far as a "Wildflowers Tour", I don't know where that came from, it doesn't even make sense to me. The cost of a tour is unbelievable these days, and no one, not even TPATH can justify that cost to put on a tour with music from 1 LP. The only group I can think of to pull that off is The Beatles and that's not gonna happen. TPATH has a beautiful 40 year history and it should go on forever. I'd like to see them move on to the next step and just sit back and relax and start writing new songs and forget tours the next few years. Start writing like the old days, get that punch back, get that rebel back! Just because we get older doesn't mean we have to act old or write older songs. A ballad is ok here and there, but we were born to rock, we're baby boomers!! This IS our last stand!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

As far as a "Wildflowers Tour", I don't know where that came from,

From Tom:

So what happened to the Wildflowers tour? “The 40th anniversary kind of got in the way of that,” Petty explained. “I looked at the tour they booked and it was all big places. The Wildflowers tour will have to be in smaller places because it’s just a lot of quiet and a lot of it is acoustic. It would be wrong to focus on one album for that tour.”

10 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

no one, not even TPATH can justify that cost to put on a tour with music from 1 LP.

Of course he could. Wildflowers is huge. People love that album. Throw in Girl on Lsd and some big hits as an encore  and the crowds would love it. 

Sure, don't play it in a stadium, but it could fill up more than a residency.

13 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

Start writing like the old days, get that punch back, get that rebel back!

Hypnotic Eye and more albums with that energy would be good but Tom doesn't like to repeat himself, I'd be surprised, pleasantly, if the next album was a rocking one.

Who knows? Mudcrutch 2 was more rock than country and had a lot of upbeat energy so who can say? 

28 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

I don't think The Hollywood Bowl shows this year will be any different than past shows. You stick with what works.

With what they've played I can't really disagree. It's a shame though, because it's three shows in the same place and people will be going to multiple nights, it's (most likely) their last big tour and it's the end of the tour, let go, get wild, etc. And it's a real effin' shame with such topnotch musicians like Benmont and Mike in the band. I don't care how much of a mindset you're in, playing the same hits for years and years, in virtually the same order, hearing Tom say the same stupid mojo speech every night has to be tiring. It's human nature. Look at Dirty Knobs, sets, Mike is free to go in different directions.

When people order a pizza they don't want to be surprised with a small instead of a large, the cheese on the bottom, the toppings in a baggie. It makes sense a large is always the same size, you order green peppers you don't get mushrooms.  But live music isn't food preparation, it doesn't have to be. Same old Set List points. I'm putting myself to sleep!

cheers

26 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

I'm sorry, but aren't these the same songs you were complaining about them playing for years?????

No. I adress this at the bottom.      

Nurktwin, I don't think you understand.

I'm sharing these video links and information for people who come to this place, so they can enjoy the music.

Whatever I think of what they play has nothing to do with it. I like Breakdown but it could've been the abominable Girl on LSD and I would've shared it.

It's in the interest of having a lively, internet "community."  

It's why I share links to bootlegs from this same mediocre tour with the same damn mojo intro. It's because I recognize other people have different opinions and taste, and that just because I'm disatisified and a vocal critic of Tom's approach to sets, doesn't mean others are.

And I don't think you understand the point of complaining about the sets. I've never said they should abandon all hits, so, to answer your question, no, it's not the complaint of them playing hits, it's them playing basically the same set for years and tours on end, for saying the same canned banter at each show, for interviews saying that this time he's going to go deep and blah blah blah and then play American Dream Plan B only once on this tour.

It's about wanting a band with the combined musical talent that they have, to really explore that in a live setting, to blow audiences away with well balanced, unique shows of hits, deep cuts and improvisation, I don't mean Tom waving his hands around at Steve during the bridge of You Wreck Me, either. That so many people here were excited that they played Swingin' in Red Rocks and went off script briefly shows that others also enjoy the variety, spontaniety, and so forth. 

Would I have preferred something like, oh, I don't know, You And I Will Meet Again to Breakdown? Of course! But at this point, Breakdown is better than nothing. I do like the song though and it sounded silky smooth with the Webb Sisters. But again, sharing these video links isn't necessarily matching my taste and preference, but rather sharing for everyone to enjoy or not as they see fit.

Peace.

1 hour ago, nurktwin said:

The only group I can think of to pull that off is The Beatles and that's not gonna happen.

I'm still holding my breath for THAT one... :) (At least it would be a much more likely scenario than for TP for real adopting a living approach to live shows ever again.)

I'd like to see them move on to the next step and just sit back and relax and start writing new songs and forget tours the next few years. 

Me too! Still, it's strange how what comes from this supposedly celebratory tour is a artistic fatigue of sort... For various reasons, a desire, from many fans, that they would be better off stop touring. 

26 minutes ago, Shelter said:

I'd like to see them move on to the next step and just sit back and relax and start writing new songs and forget tours the next few years. 

Me too!

Mudcrutch, the highlights of Mojo, Hypnotic Eye and Mudcrutch 2 is a good run of records, where will they go next? One could say the great wide open is in front of 'em. 

11 hours ago, Marion said:

Like Babydoll said, most of the people at those shows only go to one show a tour so wouldn't care if they played the same show 3 nights in a row. 

In social situations they say you shouldn't discuss religion and politics...perhaps now we can add the set list to the list! ;)

On 8/31/2017 at 11:08 AM, Marion said:

Like Babydoll said, most of the people at those shows only go to one show a tour so wouldn't care if they played the same show 3 nights in a row. 

This is true. Them playing the same show 3 nights in a row (or basically the whole tour) may be explained by this logic.

One would think that a less machine like approach would add some spark and meaning to the whole thing for the band themselves, though. Putting the heart in the right place, aiming a bit higher than just making the preprogrammed job done could still inject the whole experience with some excitement? Perhaps. Maybe. As TP fans in 2017, chanses are we will never know.

But sure, leaving all that aside and accepting that this is just a matter of going to the office, pushing the same buttons each day for the length of the tour, since most fans just go once anyway, we are still left wondering another thing though: Why they play as if most fans (if they even play for fans, rather than just people, or customers) maybe just see them once or twice in their whole life?! It seems like the concept for the last 15 years' standard show is "This is what you'd want to see if you went to see TPATH once in your life!".

Somehow they don't seem to take into account that they may have real fans and that it may be a good idea to play also for them. They don't seem to consider that those fans may care for the music beyond this set focus (be it the "new" album, the "odd gem", the "forgotten hit", the "unexpected cover" or just the heartfelt presence of real people performing from their heart at least on and off, instead of lining up with the machine).

I agree, them repeating the show three nights in the same city is less of an offence than repeating it (essentially) for years and years, leaving most of their music and their real fans out of the deal. The general approach reaks from professional and slick apathy and the standard route to profit, rather than the passion for music they all have or the muck on the guitar neck that MC is so proud of. It stinks. And a chance to hear more than perhaps one special song, or a delivery as heartfelt as it always is perfect, each and every night, even in the same city, well.. that may indeed be too much to ask. I can buy that. But to have such a chance each tour, may be a more humble and reasonable wish, don't you think. (As always, I feel like this issue is being deliberatly missunderstood in various ways and on multiple levels. )

Watching this tour has been hard on me. I'm still looking for Daddy somewhere under heaven but I don't want to get lost in the woods. No one can hear the echo of footsteps among the wildflowers. Is this the end of the road on the kings highway? You tell me she's gods gift to man and now you're gonna get it. Probably time to change the locks, move to Casa Dega just beyond the red river with the black leather woman Magnolia.

Oh no, back to reality with the shadow people. Will have to take a trip to Pirates Cove to rediscover my mojo. Let me up I've had enough of free falling through these fault lines. I still get dreams of flying.

Excuse me if I have some place in my mind where I go time to time......:)

On 8/31/2017 at 8:12 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

"If I was a fan and they didn't play 'American Girl' or 'Free Fallin'' I'd be disappointed," says Petty. "But I want to continue with the vibe we had at the theater shows where we represented plenty of popular songs, but also give the longtime fans some really deep stuff, and we can change the show as much as we want from night to night."

Why say that if you're not going to follow through? 

EXACTLY! Tom repeatedly says this type of stuff, but only follows through on the small shows.

I am genuinely happy that (among others) Babydoll enjoyed this tour so much. That said, my beef now is that ten or so years ago, when I went to four or five shows per tour, I could get a really good seat for $100-ish. In this area, however, it seems that you have to buy a premium package to have any chance at comparably good seats. Obviously, the band has every right to charge what the market will bear; I also have every right to "just say no."

BTW: Hi Marion! Hope all is well. :)

I agree with you completely Toni. But for me, I just love the way their live music makes me feel. I always find myself enjoying it so much at the show no matter what they play. It is my "happy place".  I don't have a good stereo at home, so hearing it full as intended is worth it to me. I definitely prefer the small shows but, it's hard to miss the opportunity to hear such amazing music when I can, so I splurge.  I also totally respect your restraint in not going. Hope to see you at a small show again sometime...sooner than later.

Just to keep accounts, with some 50 dates played and recently adding Breakdown to the list, I think we now have a total number of 28 songs for this tour.

Actually, that is 26 songs, if we don't count the "tried once, but scrapped" songs of the early dates, and it's 25 if we imagine this tour without the "special, but oh so brief" appearance of Stevie Nicks. Another three songs have been oddly thrown in not once but twice and then seemingly scrapped. All in all that gives the number, for songs played frequently, or at least rotated a few times, in essence being part of the tour in a decisive way, as low as 22. That is 2 2 people! Not impressive is a major understatement. I'd say it's a blatant middle finger in the general direction of their own creative skills, their cataloge, heritage and all the real fans out there buying some 80 million records (not all of which, presumably, is the 1993 package). 

Yep that's it. We've been over this.. and then again.. tour is not over, folks!! Here's hope for the last leg, coming up here in a few weeks, prooving to be grooving, with renewed energy, a sense of "this-is-it", boosted approach, rethinking it as a really celebrative bang way to call it a day by. Or at least to push the total to 30. Cross my fingers, not holdning my breath. Dreams fade, hope dies hard.