Shelter

2017 Tour Trail - memories, pics, songs played

7 hours ago, Shelter said:

No. It's the whole sensation, deeply thrilling and horrific as it is, of what I've sensed all this tour, of them being in an isolated bubble, in machine mode, doing their thing, by the script, oblivious of the surrounding, heart and minds elsewhere. Clueless, as it were. It's the empty shell it exposes and how eerie the whole big silent mass comes off on camera is absolutely fascinating. It's what it says, of how detatched and dead it all is.

I agree. And it didn't have to be this way, it's pop-rock songs, they could do so much to offer a truly energized, unique concert, even with a paltry 19 songs, but they don't. 

In an actual living and dynamic show. where music and musicians were center of attention, and things were organically alive during the night, where they were all in the moment, something like this would not likely have happened for many seconds in the first place, and if it did, it wouldn't have meant anything at all.

This is what you and me and others who are dissatisfied with Tom's approach have been wanting from the band anyway. Even with a static set, as you suggested ages ago, if different songs were open to new interpretations, you could still get quite a lot of variety, i.e. short version of It's Good To Be King one night while Mary Janes becomes an epic barroom jam and the next night, perhaps an organ based Wildflowers and rave-up Learning To Fly etc.

While it's easy to criticize the band, it's also easy for them to mix it up, to offer genuinely unique performances night to night, they're not playing Beethoven's 9th after all, but riff based and simple chord progression pop-rock. Everything's so darn stilted, from Tom cueing Steve during You Wreck Me to the stupid Mojo intro.

What is, perhaps, the most embarassing of all, in my view, is that whole "mojo" routine mentioned, and others like it, and what that all stand for... It's a beautiful little lie, a charming excuse for how void of mojo the whole experience really is, how it has got nothing to do with the kind, what so ever. That even the slightest sense of mojo, would scare TP and his inverstors half to death. 

That would be awful, in my opinion, to see TPATH two nights in a row and be subjected to the same damn speech. And he does it because he knows he's leading off with an unknown song, gotta pump up the crowd first, reassure them there's going to be a lotta hits once they get past the opening number. He's not a stand-up comedian that does the same set because he has to and it works, live music is way more adventurous than that, especially for a band as well practiced and skilled as they are. 

The stupid Mojo speech. it's pathetic. And you're right, it's "void".

Why not just write it on the set list?  Here Comes Your Mojo.

36 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

It's not an amateur or beginner band, it's a multimillion dollar operation. 

But, again, that's precisely why it played out the way it did! Being a MMDO is no warranty in this case...it's a risk.

1 hour ago, Marion said:

Well, I am excited to say that my friend offered me a ticket to one of the Hollywood Bowl shows

I hope you have a good time! That's the best attitude to have to get the most out of the concert; especially since it's looking like this is their last tour. I'd be surprised if it wasn't, aside from Wildflowers but the last chance to see some big hits, and a few deep cuts. One of the last shows of the big tours, have fun!

Recent article:

Five reasons to see Tom Petty

http://vancouversun.com/entertainment/local-arts/five-reasons-to-see-tom-petty

Aug. 17 at 7:30 p.m. | Rogers Arena

Tickets: $49-$256 at ticketmaster.ca

1. It’s the start of a West Coast tour. Vancouver will get a preview of the show that Petty and his Heartbreakers are taking to Seattle and other points south.

2. No surprises. As on previous tours, Petty continues to mine his 40-year-old catalogue of hits. Shows earlier this year included standbys such as You Got Lucky, Refugee, and American Girl.

3. Sam Smith. Scores of younger listeners who weren’t born when Petty was already in his third decade of recording may know the singer from a recent songwriting dispute. In 2015, Petty came to a financial agreement with the management of British pop star Sam Smith over similarities between the former’s song I Won’t Back Down and the latter’s hit Stay With Me.

4. Price hike. Back in 1981, Petty battled his record company to not impose a price hike for his album Hard Promises — MCA backed down from charging $9.98 rather than the then-standard $8.98.

5. Hypnotic Eye. It seems that Petty, who has sold more than 80 million albums, still has it. His most recent record with the Heartbreakers, 2014’s Hypnotic Eye, received a Grammy nomination (Best Rock Album) and positive reviews. In recent shows, he’s been playing Eye highlight Forgotten Man.

As long as they sell tickets and their health is good, I say they will continue to tour. Why would you quit doing what you love and pass up all that money?. IF nothing else, they can always pull a 1966 Beatles ploy and just record new LP's, and that's not a bad deal either. At least we'd still have new music. I think we'll still be here talking about new music and tours for their 50th anniversary!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, nurktwin said:

As long as they sell tickets and their health is good, I say they will continue to tour. Why would you quit doing what you love and pass up all that money?

Tom has said he wants to spend more time with his grandkids and family.

1 hour ago, nurktwin said:

pull a 1966 Beatles ploy and just record new LP's, and that's not a bad deal either.

Considering how  boring, predictable and lifeless their concerts have become, the McDonald's of live music, focusing on recording new material sounds good. This seems to be where Tom's interest is anyway.

Maybe a residency every so often or one-off shows or as someone on here suggested, live broadcasts from their studio while they jam.

I have to stress, this is my take that this is their last tour (aside from Wildflowers). Tom has not as far as I know, said they are done touring.

maybe he we will get lucky and see a Mudcrutch 3 and another small venue tour after something for Wildflowers.     As someone that ponied up for good seats to a Hartford CT and Boston Show I will say it was a little disappointing to hear the same banter and essentially same set list for the two shows.  A great show for sure and the band sounded great for both nights. But Tom really struggled with the harmonica in Boston and nearly dropped it before finishing the song and he did seem to have some issues going on (knees)....  I've been seeing him and the boys live since 87 and have always enjoyed the shows.   hope he doesn't stop touring out right.... 

2 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I've been seeing him and the boys live since 87 and have always enjoyed the shows.   hope he doesn't stop touring out right.... 

Hi Hoodoo Man!

Welcome to the 'Farm.

If you feel like, share your tour experiences from this and other tours. Interesting that you saw them on the Let Me Up tour.

cheers

On 8/23/2017 at 5:10 PM, TomFest said:

Losing the sound for an entire song should be embarrassing for the band. Usually they are spot on with the sound, but not this time.  Then Tom could have made it up to us, but chose not to.  This concert (and entire tour, really) rates at the bottom slot of all-time Tom Petty concerts/tours for me.

Haven't been here much lately, but thanks to Tomfest for the comments. I was at Outside Lands in 2008 and there were problems with the sound, but it certainly didn't take that long for anyone to notice. Geez. Anyway, my gut was that this tour was not turning out to be one of their better ones, so I'm glad I sat it out.

I am definitely hoping for some special/small shows (Fonda? Fillmore? Wildflowers tour?) in the future, but I am simply not willing to buy a ticket at today's ridiculous prices to see the same show I've seen thirtysomething times before.

Even though the show was similar, including the banter, to the last few tours it was still incredible! My Seattle show experience was MAGICAL!!! And the sound wasn't a problem up front. The only thing that I noticed was that the crowd wasn't into it towards the end of Crawling Back to You. It seemed really quiet behind me. I've never experienced that at a TPHB show before.  The song was INCREDIBLE!! I guess they were playing it just to me. I prefer the smaller shows, cover songs and Mudcrutch so hopefully that is what's in our future. But, I don't think you can say that this tour was in any way substandard. Maybe not THEIR best, but that's just it with these guys. They are so good that most people are blown away even when they are having what for them might be an off night or performing a tired set of songs. The majority of people only go to one show per band, let alone per tour. So they were completely satisfied with the setlist. I talked to a number of people that thought the show was the most amazing thing they had ever seen. It was their first or second time seeing this band. That's who they have to plan for. Money is king. As far as the same banter- Joe Walsh said almost the exact thing both nights at Red Rocks. I think that is part of doing a quality big show. 

4 hours ago, wild1forever said:

Anyway, my gut was that this tour was not turning out to be one of their better ones, so I'm glad I sat it out.

I am simply not willing to buy a ticket at today's ridiculous prices to see the same show I've seen thirtysomething times before.

I forgot they were touring and then checked setlist.fm to see what they played at their second night at the greek and it was the same as the first.

That will be pathetic if they play three identical shows at the same location. 

6 hours ago, Marion said:

most of the people at those shows only go to one show a tour so wouldn't care if they played the same show 3 nights in a row.

That's true, though I think the quotient goes up when it's in the same city. While I'd still think Tom's approach is wrong, it would be better if he didn't say things like this:

"If I was a fan and they didn't play 'American Girl' or 'Free Fallin'' I'd be disappointed," says Petty. "But I want to continue with the vibe we had at the theater shows where we represented plenty of popular songs, but also give the longtime fans some really deep stuff, and we can change the show as much as we want from night to night."

Why say that if you're not going to follow through? 

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/24/tom-petty-is-this-the-rockers-last-dance-with-bay-area-fans/

There’s an added sense of urgency surrounding Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ three concerts at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley this month.

It stems from reports that the band’s current road show – celebrating 40 years in the music business – will be its last “major” tour.

That has many locals worried that this Greek run will also be Petty and his crew’s final Bay Area performances.

That’s understandable. Yet, I still have one bit of advice for those concerned fans:

Relax.

I’d bet my copy of “Damn the Torpedoes” that Petty will be back – and sooner, rather than later. In fact, he’s already spoken to Rolling Stone about his plans to tour more-intimate venues in support of the deluxe re-release of the 1994 solo album “Wildflowers.” That seems like a natural fit for a place like the Fox Theater in Oakland.

Plus, I know that promoters Another Planet Entertainment (which books the Fox, the Greek and other venues as well as some festivals) absolutely adores Petty and would likely look for any reason to bring him back. Indeed, I wouldn’t be surprised if Petty and co. ends up being the first act to headline Another Planet’s Outside Lands festival for the third time, having already sat atop the bill in 2008 and 2014.

Also, Petty’s connection to the Bay Area is just too strong. And he only lives a few hundred miles away, down in Southern California. So, yeah, don’t sweat this, Bay Area fans. He might not return to some markets after this current tour ends, but don’t expect this to be one of them.

And there’s still time to see Petty and the Heartbreakers on this current run in Northern California. At last check, there were tickets available to the Greek show on Aug. 27 (6:30 p.m.; $59.50-$199.50, www.ticketmaster.com). There were also ducats for the Aug. 25 gig at the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento (7:30 p.m.; $49.50-$149.50, www.ticketmaster.com).

Petty is also set to play a sold-out show at the Greek on Aug. 28. It’s a make-up date from Aug. 23, postponed when Petty came down with laryngitis.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame act was greeted to a hero’s welcome as it took the stage on opening night of the Greek run and rolled into “Rockin’ Around (With You),” which, in a nice twist, also happened to be the opening track on the band’s eponymous debut of 1976.

“I feel a little mojo building up in here,” Petty said as he soaked up the crowd’s applause. “Can you feel it?”

The audience definitely was feeling it as the group continued through “Mary Jane’s Last Dance,” “I Won’t Back Down” and “You Don’t Know How It Feels,” with vocalist-guitarist Petty, lead guitarist Mike Campbell, keyboardist Benmont Tench, bassist Ron Blair, multi-instrumentalist Scott Thurston and drummer Steve Ferrone – who, after 24 years in the group, is still described by Petty as “the new guy” – combining to sound every bit as solid as expected. (Background vocals came courtesy of the English duo The Webb Sisters.)

And, basically, everything about the night was as expected. Petty stuck to a very safe and familiar set list, favoring the usual assortment of well-known pop-rock ditties despite telling Rolling Stone that he was looking at breaking out some long-neglected songs for this tour.

As this concert underscored, Petty lives at the intersection of dependable and predictable. The good news about that is that you always know what you’re getting with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The bad news is that you always know what you’re getting.

Still, I guess we should be grateful that he didn’t switch things up and play 2002’s “The Last DJ” in its entirety.

It would have been nice if the band had changed up the set list, which was basically the same one played at BottleRock Napa Valley in May. It would have been cool to get a few more oldies, especially a track or two from 1978’s “You’re Gonna Get It!” And for a tour celebrating the anniversary of a band, the set list drew too heavily from Petty’s so-called “solo” albums (which still featured Heartbreakers on them).

But the crowd definitely didn’t mind as it rocked along with glee to such big numbers as “Refugee” and “Runnin’ Down a Dream.” And all the concerns of band’s future in the Bay Area seemed to be washing away by the time Petty and the Heartbreakers locked onto the ever-amazing “American Girl” in the encore.