Sign in to follow this  
dollardime

Heartbreakers things you'd love to see but probably never will see!

With the last lap perhaps not too far away for The Heartbreakers. ..here's hoping for many more laps all the same, it got me thinking...

Ringo and Paul together to play a couple of songs live with The Heartbreakers.

Neil Young to do a live album / show/ tour with The Heartbreakers..any one of that three card trick would be awesome.

King of The Hill live with Roger McGuinn.

Bruce Springsteen to do Straight into Darkness live with the Heartbreakers. Bruce told Tom that he really loved that song (as mentioned in Zanes book)

Dolly Parton and Tom to do a live duet...Insider or anything else..I can see Dolly and Tom vocally blending really well.

Rick Rubin to return as producer and do a garage rock type album with The Heartbreakers. 

The Heartbreakers to do a country album ...Heartbreakers on the lost highway. 

Willie Nelson to guest on a song on above album.

Benmont and Mike to pick the set list for 40th anniversary tour!

If even one of these things happened it would be awesome! 

Excuse me if I have a place in my mind where I go time to time...

Any other dreamers out there?

Nice list. Out of it, Neil's fine, Dolly's good, a garage rock album would be good, Benmont and Mike picking the set list would be quite good.

Not on your list: an experimental album, "Sgt Pepper's Heartbreakers" would be good. Don't care for a country album, Mudcrutch came close enough to that for my taste. Them playing Europe and throwing in You And I Will Meet Again for Shelter would be good.

cheers

10 hours ago, dollardime said:

Neil Young to do a live album / show/ tour with The Heartbreakers..any one of that three card trick would be awesome.

By all means. He should do an "Unchained" so to speak. Do his thing with TP&TH as back up.

King of The Hill live with Roger McGuinn.

Yes!

Benmont and Mike to pick the set list for 40th anniversary tour!

Hahahaha! Oh, you are killing me... please.. :rolleyes:

here's my 20 live "things..."

Too Good To Be True, Luna, You And I Will Meet Again, Finding Out, You Tell Me, Trip To Pirate's Cove, Mystery Of Love, A Thing About You, Surrender, Have Love Will Travel, The Wild One Forever, Echo, Deliver Me, Ankle Deep, Dreamville, Making Some Noise, Think About Me, Restless, Waiting for Tonight, Sins of My Youth

Mind you, Something Big was on this list too, as was When The Time Comes... and they DID happen, so.. miracles sometimes.... well..  

8 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

How about just one or two songs of madcap soloing? :)

Not for me, I can't stand his electric solos but I like some of his acoustic playing.

I think non guitar players see Neils "madcap soloing" and think he's good but trust me he is not.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Not for me, I can't stand his electric solos but I like some of his acoustic playing.

I think non guitar players see Neils "madcap soloing" and think he's good but trust me he is not.

I'm a guitar player and I think Neil Young is a brilliant guitarist.  So no, I don't trust you.

8 hours ago, CrescentMoonFever said:

I like that list.

I've always wanted to see Zombie Zoo live.

Did you hear the "Tom Talks To Cool People" episode with Susanna Hoffs?   He said he hated "Zombie Zoo" and if they ever remaster "Full Moon Fever" he intends to replace it on the record.  I hope he doesn't follow through on that.  I like the song.  My band has played it a time or 2.

33 minutes ago, TomFest said:

Did you hear the "Tom Talks To Cool People" episode with Susanna Hoffs?   He said he hated "Zombie Zoo" and if they ever remaster "Full Moon Fever" he intends to replace it on the record.  I hope he doesn't follow through on that.  I like the song.  My band has played it a time or 2.

Hmm. I didn't hear that, do you have a link? 

Kind of surprised to hear it, he seemed to enjoy ZZ around the time FMF was released and talked about how fun it was to make it.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Why don't you think he's good, Jay?

I'm no Neil Young expert or even a fan really but from what I have heard is passionate playing, it may not be the most technical but it serves the songs he's written. On stage, again from limited experience seeing him play with Pearl Jam, it's wild and exciting musicianship, he's not at Joe Satriani levels of technical prowess (one of my favorite musicians and songwriters!) but again, it fits the music he writes. 

Mike Campbell offers up a certain style as does Neil, watching the two collide on stage for a song or two would be fun and different in my opinion.

cheers

16 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Why don't you think he's good, Jay?

I'm no Neil Young expert or even a fan really but from what I have heard is passionate playing, it may not be the most technical but it serves the songs he's written. On stage, again from limited experience seeing him play with Pearl Jam, it's wild and exciting musicianship, he's not at Joe Satriani levels of technical prowess (one of my favorite musicians and songwriters!) but again, it fits the music he writes. 

Mike Campbell offers up a certain style as does Neil, watching the two collide on stage for a song or two would be fun and different in my opinion.

cheers

Mike Campbell is a brilliant guitarist as proved by his pedigree, just watch his versatility displayed when he played with Dylan live 1986 - 1987.

Imagine Neil Young doing the same thing, I think not as he's not good enough.

23 hours ago, CrescentMoonFever said:

Hmm. I didn't hear that, do you have a link? 

Kind of surprised to hear it, he seemed to enjoy ZZ around the time FMF was released and talked about how fun it was to make it.

Marion has generously shared the download here.  I can't recall exactly where in the show he says it but I believe they were talking about the time The Bangles were invited in to do background vocals.  He doesn't mention Zombie Zoo by name, but he says something like "I hated the last song on Full Moon Fever, and if we ever remaster it, I want to replace it".  I'm paraphrasing.  And he told the story of the record company rejecting the album at first.

As for my cents on the Young discussion: I have zero interest in clinically dead perfect virtuoso guitar players - or such A+ people in general - I like the soul, the grit, the temper and expression, the real life aspect of art, to be the main presence. So, I always vote in favor for Neil (despite some of the rather unecessary mess he's outed in his years). Of course, there are people that has both giant soul and perfect technique - like our MC - and kudos to them.

I am - however - not sure not keen on the idea of MC and NY throwing it at each other live. I usually don't like that kind of thing. And with slighly clashing energies like that (kinda like the TP vs Springsteen case mentioned somewhere) I have a feeling I wouldn't find it overly entertaining. Besides, NY is too much of a solo person, a main act, as I see it, a lone ranger. That's why I think it would be cool to have Rubin (or someone) cutting a studio album with him, where he - much liked Unchained - would work with The Heartbreakers as a back up band. Personally, I'd love to hear some Ben magic behind NY, perhaps some TP harmonies. All laid out for some re-recorded old NY songs, some interesting covers (how about "Swingin") and perhaps some new stuff. I think that could be pretty cool.     

Here's what I'd like to see. Andy Babiuk wrote a book on "Beatles Gear", i believe he also wrote one on the Rolling Stones. I'd like to see him write a book on all the gear Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers have used over their career. The guitars alone would probably be over 1000 pages!!!! Then add all the amps, mics, effect pedals, keyboards and that would make one hell of a book to rival "The Bible".....lol.

One more. Tom and The Heartbreakers design and build an acoustic and an electric guitar for sell to the public. It would be their exclusive design, not a knockoff of any guitar out there. The pickguard would have their logo and the headstock truss rod cover would have their name. George Harrison called Fred Gretsch and did the same thing for a Traveling Wilbury guitar, so why not TPATH? This would be a very good retirement project for the band (which I hope doesn't happen for many more years), but it's a thought. I can see Tom and the boys on QVC right now pitching TPATH guitars.....lol.