Sign in to follow this  
bonddm

U.S. Tour 2017 [Official Dates Announced]

On 12/10/2016 at 6:06 PM, nurktwin said:

This is a major tour for their 40th anniversary, so it will most likely be a "Greatest Hits" tour. There are no scientific studies about what the band will play from tour to tour or year to year. Probably 10% of the bands fans are die hards and want to hear deep cuts, while 90% are general fans that listen to the band on radio and don't even own any of their LP's. For that reason, the band stands to sell out more arenas (more money) with a greatest hits show than deep cuts. 90% of the paying public would go home saying what the hell were they playing, I never heard of any of those songs and paid $$$$$ to see it. A deep cuts show will most likely be saved for small venues on occasional dates and off season or even off year dates from major concerts. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!!!!!

Certainly! Personally I never had any issues with this. You are quite right! 

That's why, perhaps I should not only apologize for some bad typing in my prev. post, but also underline that I'm mainly concerned with the ever huge gap tween the talking and the doing.

More precise, it's the talking like high profile spokesmen of integrity (TP apparently wants to be one, occasionally was/has been one and at large he's build, what I like to suggest is a huge part of his stardom upon and won many of ours respect and love from this - at least mine, I am glad to admit!) but then rather acting like any other number tweaking, souless corporate Joe's (pun certainly intended).* Who are they kidding at this point, is another question of the ilk here. Sure, there may not be no scientific studies, but there are plenty of personal experience suggesting more or less exactly what is gonna happen.) 

But like I said, I find plenty of logic in what you - and most people - say and I'm not out to contest any of it.** It's all good stuff, of good people! Still, in line with what I just clarified above my own take, the question is not if or why they are gonna play big arenas and big hits at a 40th Anniversary Tour. The question is, why they have done so, almost exclusively, for so many none-40th Anniversary Tours, while at the same time being more or less plainspoken about how they don't really want to do things that way, what they would want to do instead, what they will do next time or even what they plan to do right now but end up never doing! (For example. Take a random tour of recent years. Why even bother telling media/fans that you rehearsed almost a hundred songs, including a lot of the less frequently played of your own stuff and that you really "hope" (a bs word, if there ever was one) to play a lot of it on coming tour. In the face of everything - why say that? 

My point, hence - why keep making statements to that effect, when in reality you feel there are other things that you "have to do" instead.***

Besides, 40th Anniversary Big Arenas/Hits World Tour of USA vs a highly regular/none anniversary Big Arenas/Hits 30+ dates North America tour - save for the 2012 tour, it beat's me what's the difference between one or the other.

You may want to tell me that a guy like TP does what he wants to do. Well. One would think so. But I like to answer that, by saying that from an overwhelming amount of evidence, it's clear that either he does not do what he wants, or he is delusional in a major way. Pretty simple logic. Again -- it's not so much what they do, but what they say while doing it.

------

*They do what they feel they have to do. If for whatever reason they think they have to play the shallow market game, so be it. Then stop talking so much all the time, bout all the cool stuff you want be about and to do. It's the repetitiveness of an apparently hollow message that I'm on about. I like straight talk, is all. Like when TP says (about the BT show presumably) that he wants the best rock show on radio. And he has more or less got precisely that! 

**Although I am known to find the type of "big venue / same hits" shows mostly boring, once you've seen them two or three times, I will say there is always an energy to that type of show that is actually worth something, the music and scripted stalemate aside. But needless to say, to me they could be a lot more artistically interesting, is all. That doesn't mean they have no raison d'etre. (That is french for "undried raisins".)

***I don't have to tell you what I think of that "have to", right?

^  I agree with what you are saying about large and small tours and the music they play. My guess is that when a tour comes along and they plan for a year to book venues and all, that it comes down to the bottom line, money. Why spend millions on planning, venue rentals, lighting and stage set up costs and then play buried treasures that most people don't know? That's where I think the decision to play a greatest hits show comes in at the last minute. It only takes 1 word from the 1st show to ruin a whole tour. It's like me and you being offered 2 jobs at once, do you take the job at McDonald's for $5 an hour or the job at Exxon for $100 an hour? There's usually time between major tours to do a week or 2 of specialty shows at various small venues with buried treasure songs. I understand that Tom and the band have been very busy the past couple years getting LP's remastered and released and that's great. It'll just take a little more time to get to the small intimate shows we'd all like to see. Be patient, it'll happen.

1 hour ago, nurktwin said:

That's where I think the decision to play a greatest hits show comes in at the last minute. It only takes 1 word from the 1st show to ruin a whole tour.

I understand the logic but I don't think it quite applies. Sure, if they went on stage and played nothing but obscure songs only people on here would recognize, the tour would be criticized and the majority let down. But a healthy balance exists, for every Luna play two hits, work in some fast numbers like Fault Lines before You Wreck Me to keep the energy up. I figure the pressure Tom feels is too much, hence they drop songs like Fault LInes after one attempt. 

Anyway, they could work some deep cuts in amidst the hits and the tour would do just fine.

cheers

2 hours ago, nurktwin said:

^  do you take the job at McDonald's for $5 an hour or the job at Exxon for $100 an hour?

Yes, good one. :) A slight adjustment to the analogy - a McDonald's job that pays $100 and an Exxon job that pays $5 - would be even more to the point. Not to mention if you'd compare high paid and dull work that you don't like, to a job that are both exciting, fun, artistic, high status... and good for the environment, but pay a little less. In short - I'd rather be rich and healthy, than poor and dying. Sure. But given the chance to be both reasonably rich and highly creative, with my mind at ease when I'm 60+, I think I'd jump on it, and quite frankly I would skip that golden McDonald's deal even if it would give me those few milions extra. But, yeah, point taken, of course. Again though, the thing, most of all, is all the high and wide talk....   

48 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Hope they get out your way, even if it is a Hits show. Who knows, this could be the year they pull out You and I Will Meet Again.

cheers

Well, thank you! The same to you. I am mostly thinking of international fans that haven't been so lucky though. Myself I had my share filled and then some and I'm not likely to go if the prospect is the same old basic set. We'll see. One can always hope, you are right!

I'm sorry but to call the potential set list a Greatest Hits show at this point is laughable. As I've been saying for years now, it's been the Dogs With Wings Tour for over a decade with the last mix up in the set being 2002.That series of shows in the summer (the part of the tour I went to and my first show ever) you got 3 Last DJ songs, a jammed out version of "Too Much AIn't Enough", some hits and an acoustic version of "Rebels" when that was original. Now, most of the stuff played is the solo stuff and the super-big TPATH singles. It's hilarious to me because some hits, mind you: HITS, are now basically deep cuts now. When they played "Into the Great Wide Open" in 2013 it was like, "Wow! That's new!" and that's sad, I'm sure if they broke out other relegated hits like "You Got Lucky" or "Here Comes My Girl" it'd be the same feeling too.

My problem is every tour they say the same damn thing, "Oh boy, we're gonna beak out the deep cuts this year!" and they never do. If you know you're gonna do big venues and feel you just have to play a snore inducing version of "Learning to Fly" for the 823,570 time, then don't tell the media and fans that you'll actually bother to play something of Echo for once. And hell, I don't get why they do big venue shows anymore anyway. The fan base just isn't what it use to be.

But oh well, they skipped SPAC again so I may sit this tour out until it's possible further inclusion like in 2013 when it was a late add to the tour list. I just find it funny because I use to get mad at the prospect of a GH show but now I've just accepted it. Been beaten down and lied to too many times to be angry aymore. Can't help but laugh.

^ may I say, how very well put!

10 hours ago, martin03345 said:

Been beaten down and lied to too many times

Been beat up an battered around.. Been sent up and I've been shot down... Reputations changeable, situations tolerable (to some).... Stuck in airports, terrorized, sent to ticketmaster hypnotized... Overexposed, commercialized... Seems, it all comes alive when a big tour is on the horizon, right... And it HAS to be done. 

$450 a seat for the special packages! Other than that, seats range from $50 to $150.

At least I'm getting some ultra-fragrant super special separate toilet facilities at that Hyde Park gig for that kinda money!

I call it the "First Flush of Freedom Package"! [emoji23]

1 hour ago, NightDriver said:

At least I'm getting some ultra-fragrant super special separate toilet facilities at that Hyde Park gig for that kinda Money!

I call it the "First Flush of Freedom Package"! emoji23.png

:D

3 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

What the hell? That's fucking terrible. I'm actually angry on yours and others behalf! 450 for 20 songs that you've mostly heard before. Damn, that's terrible.

Well.. It is the very defintion of greed and stupidy that this market even works. But then again.. it's not exactly news. That said, one would think that certain artists soon find it best to stop pretending to be some kind of unofficial spokesmen for the little people, the average joes and decency in general. There are limits to what you can pull off, after all.. You can't be Jesus and Gene Simmons at the same time. Actually being Gene Simmons is rather respectful, come to think of it, since you don't pretent to be a nice guy. I just can't believe how shallow and stupid rich people oriented the whole scene has been and how ok supposedly good people are with it all.

14 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Well.. It is the very defintion of greed and stupidy that this market even works. But then again.. it's not exactly news.

It is to me, I haven't seen TPATH in ten years. I didn't even know about special package tickets etc. However, $50 to $75 seems a bit average or even a little under compared to other acts of their vintage.

cheers

When it comes to mixing up setlists and trying new things, Tom says a lot of things in advance of a tour, but I think history speaks for itself. It would be a big shock if this tour features anything other than a static greatest hits set on songs. Consider the facts:

• The band only plays ~18 or 19 songs per night.
  • Tom likes routine.
  • It's a "40th anniversary" celebration.
  • The venues are giant arenas.

Hopefully they try out a few fresh songs at the beginning of the tour, but if you've followed the band's setlists over the past decade, you see that songs like "What Are you Doing in My Life," "Turn This Car Around," "Sweet William" and "Driving Down to Georgia" are usually left behind as the tour goes on. After a few weeks, Tom may throw a new cover song in the mix, but he's very unlikely to workshop a random Heartbreakers song. There's no reason to believe that will change now, especially considering the circumstances mentioned above. Tom will find a groove he likes and is successful on the big stage, and stick to it.

Those poor fucks that didn't get to hear "Sweet William" had their lives literally ruined. If they played at first at shows "Two Men Talkin'" or "Melinda" and they got the axe because they were considered too niche, I'd burn the arena down to the ground. And routine is the problem. When you hear "You Don't Know How It Feels", you know every time it's gonna be 6 and a half minutes with the same jam, with the same dance Tom does every time, at every show. EVERY SHOW. Same goes for "Learning to Fly" being beaten into the ground with the slowness of it and "My troubles and worries" being said 23 times. Look to the Live Anthology for inspiration Tom, you know you can do it.