Sign in to follow this  
BTdude

New Mudcrutch song to debut on Tom Petty Radio on Tuesday, November 1 6pm ET / 3pm PT

New Mudcrutch Song Debuts on Tom Petty Radio - Tuesday, November 1 at 6pm ET / 3pm PT

Tom Petty Radio Schedule week of October 31

Monday – October 31

Noon ET / 9am PT – Buried Treasure Show #223 (repeat)

9pm ET / 6pm PT – Buried Treasure Show #223 (repeat)

Tuesday – November 1

3pm ET / Noon PT – Buried Treasure Show #223 (encore)

6pm ET / 3pm PT – Debut of new Mudcrutch song “How Much Do You Need”

11pm ET / 8pm PT - Buried Treasure Show #223 (encore)

Wednesday – November 2

8am ET / 5am PT - Buried Treasure Show #223 (encore)

2pm ET / 11am PT – Benmont Tench Show (debut of Show 13)

6pm ET / 3pm PT – Buried Treasure Show #223 (encore)

Thursday – November 3

2am ET / 11pm PT – Benmont Tench Show (Show 13)

5pm ET / 2pm PT – Buried Treasure Show #224 (repeat of Season 10/Show 2)

8pm ET / 5pm PT – Benmont Tench Show (Show 13)

Friday – November 4

12mid ET / 9pm PT – Buried Treasure Show #224 (repeat)

9am ET / 6am PT – Benmont Tench Show (Show 13)

1pm ET / 10am PT – Buried Treasure Show #224 (repeat)

10pm ET / 7pm PT - Buried Treasure Show #224 (repeat)

Saturday – November 5

11am ET / 8am PT – Buried Treasure Show #224 (repeat)

3pm ET / Noon PT – Benmont Tench Show (Show 13)

7pm ET / 3pm PT – Buried Treasure Show #224 (repeat)

11pm ET / 8pm PT – Benmont Tench Show (Show 13)

Sunday – November 6

9am ET / 6am PT – Buried Treasure Show #224 (repeat)

Noon ET / 9am PT – Benmont Tench Show (Show 13)

4pm ET / 1pm PT - Buried Treasure Show #224 (repeat)

9pm ET / 6pm PT – Benmont Tench Show (Show 13)

Thanks for sharing this song!

Again - great, great song, if perhaps not so much Mudcrutch in vibe. Not knowing when and where it was penned, I'd say that as for "political", or rather, "philosophical" undercurrents, it sure sounds like what could be a leftover song from HE or even back from the LDJ days.. Still, in sound and temper is would blend fine just fine on the highly eclectic Mojo as well, agreed. 

Still - a Mudcrutch song that doesn't feel like one, it still could have had a place on the finished album. After all, there are more on there that doesn't feel overly Mudcrutch (as in opposed to various TP solo or Heartbreakers material) - but I'm actually fine with great songs standing on their own like this. It doesn't even help to know that it's from the "Mudcrutch 2" sessions actually. Much like the latest Heartbreakers-offering Looking For Daddy, it's just a song, really - if remarkably a really really good one!    

9 hours ago, Shelter said:

It doesn't even help to know that it's from the "Mudcrutch 2" sessions actually.

I think it's interesting if it was written prior or not; would any type of song that comes to Tom during those sessions be considered for Mudcrutch or held back for TPATH? And while '2' definitely has less of a country feel than the eponymous album, this song still feels way more removed from the second record. Maybe we'll never know but I wonder if this was written during Mojo or HE since it feels like it belongs to either one.

cheers

16 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think it's interesting if it was written prior or not; would any type of song that comes to Tom during those sessions be considered for Mudcrutch or held back for TPATH?

When I said it don't help knowing that "How Much" was from the "2" sessions, I just meant that sometimes knowing when a song was recorded does help you feel that it belongs in a certain context, to a certain band or a certain era/session, even if might be a bit at odds stylewise. In this case I don't think it helps, since the song doesn't sound or feel like neither Mudcrutch nor "2", in any obvious way. It still could have gone on there, I suppose. Just saying, if you didn't know, you couldn't tell, and even when you know.. it's hard to tell.

As for when it was written, I agree: that would be very interesting to know. Especially since "How Much" strikes me as a very strong - unsually strong for a leftover, actually - song. Just like Looking For Daddy turned out to be one of the best and most interesting things they've released, not least in terms of arrangement, sound, phrasing and so on, I must say that "How Much Do You Need" actually, and simply, is one of the best TP songs I've heard in quite a while. An impressive piece of writing - a good simple song, no more no less - in the typical unforced sense of forcefull that is so typical for TP at his best.

That said, I strongly feel that it was written prior to "Mudcrutch 2". That is, it seems to me that anything written in-session is likely to be a lot more deliberately typical Mudcrutch in style than this song, a song that seems Mudcrutch more by accident than by design. I might be wrong, but I've got the feeling that next to nothing was actually written specifically for, or in the process of making, this album; most things on "2" (The Other Side of The Mountain may be one of the exceptions), and probably most things even recorded for it too, were culled and dug out from behind drawers, under carpets, found in letters sent from yourself in the past, and so on... (quite the typical the TP way of writing songs, official story has it). In short, they are mainly older unfinished - and sometimes even finished! - stumbled upon and reconsidered already written or conceived material. It's a hotch-potch side-project of left-overs, basically, rather than a focused normal album session of new, especially designed material. It's very good at that, just saying...

ALERT: This all makes me think - perhaps I'm being overly cynical here - that "How Much Do You Need" is 1) a left-over from another album or even era, and 2) likely recorded by Mudcrutch more or less with the promised TP Radio "exclusives" in mind. That is, it was never intended for the album. More like a semi official single. For this I can see various reasons. Until we know for sure, this will stand as my theory. Whether or not it holds, I don't know. But I will say this - I feel - as an alien, one day prior to your ever important Election Day (please vote, people, for the sake of all of us!!) - that this song would have been a lovely single. It's great, and it deserves a lot more listeners than it will ever get from the vista of those few thousands (or is it merely hundreds?) of TP Radio subscriptions out there. And perhaps that is part of the problem - the song is too much of a statement to be quite comfortable? But is it really? For better or worse, I'd say for better. A damn fine song!