jdjones

Vinyl Box Set - The Complete Studio Albums Volume 2 (1994-2014)

Long time lurker, first time poster.  Noticed this set popping up for pre-order on a number of sites such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Studio-Albums-1994-2014-Vinyl/dp/B01LYE9PXG/

https://www.musicdirect.com/vinyl/Tom-Petty-The-Complete-Studio-Albums-Vol-2-(Limited-Edition-180g-Vinyl-12LP-Box-Set)

I've long been hunting for a number of the albums that look they will be included on this set.  Would prefer to be able to purchase individually, but perhaps that is coming eventually as well?  Either way, excitement abounds.

-------------------

Tom and the Heartbreakers will commemorate the 40th anniversary of their self-titled debut album by releasing two companion vinyl box sets featuring their entire studio album repertoire via UMe and Reprise/Warner Bros. Records.

Many of these albums have been out of print on vinyl for years and most albums have been remastered for this release, except those noted below that have been remastered or originally mastered since 2010. All LPs in each of the limited-edition box sets will be pressed on 180-gram vinyl with replica artwork.

The Complete Studio Albums Volume 1 (1976-1991)

Nine albums on nine pieces of vinyl – to be released December 9th

Volume 1 features:

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers* 

You’re Gonna Get It!*

Damn The Torpedoes*

Hard Promises

Long After Dark

Southern Accents

Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough) 

Full Moon Fever

Into The Great Wide Open

*Remastered since 2010 

I found this in the Steve Hoffman forum

Just going by the number of 12 LPs, I'd guess Wildflowers and Highway Companion will be included.
Roughly:
Wildflowers x2
She's the One x2
Echo x2
Last DJ x1
Highway Companion x1
Mojo x2
Hypnotic Eye x1

This totals 11 so it gives room for either an extra disc on HC or Last DJ or else some sort of bonus (e.g. a live release or b-sides comp). This is all speculation on my part though!

Welcome to the boards, jdjones! Thanks for posting this.

I saw this myself the other day, and while part of me is really excited about this release - especially as a way to finally get hold of Wildflowers, She´s The One and Echo on vinyl, since I miss those three in my collection - I also feel a certain.. let´s say friction... about the idea of a box that means that I would once again have to buy all the albums that I have already bought three, four or even five times each already. These things are really cool, but they also really aimed to milk the core fans that already fed the band the butter through the years. I doubt that very many fans who aldready don´t have this music in any shape or form are in the market to buy this big baby, I guess I myself will hold out for a chance to buy a few of these separately, since I´m mostly happy with my originals of most of them..

Also there is the issue of how the 20-21-22 anniversary release of Wildflower............. and/or All The Rest............... will materialize.. what it will be exactly.. If it will be released at all, if it will in any way duplicate the original album, if it will be presented the way it was planned, or as it aldeady turned out but with various additions made... Well, in short, there is the question what Wildflowers rendition will be included in this box and if/how it will differ from what will potentially be released separately. (It strikes me that the office f##k ups just may have solved their problem with this All The Rest release by inventing this reissue box and cramming it on there. That way they avoid the hassle they have tried to avoid now for two or three years, that is to release it proper. Two birds with one stone. God, I hope there is nothing to that suspicion!)  

I am also a little puzzled... I mean, I know there was this box set released in the early 90s, with the Complete Albums 1976-1991. But that was on CD, right? So now, in the age of the vinyl hipster and in the face of this sudden news of Vol 2, I find myself wondering - where the heck is the "Vol 1" box?

15 hours ago, livin´thing68 said:

I found this in the Steve Hoffman forum

Just going by the number of 12 LPs, I'd guess Wildflowers and Highway Companion will be included.
Roughly:
Wildflowers x2
She's the One x2
Echo x2
Last DJ x1
Highway Companion x1
Mojo x2
Hypnotic Eye x1

This totals 11 so it gives room for either an extra disc on HC or Last DJ or else some sort of bonus (e.g. a live release or b-sides comp). This is all speculation on my part though!

Seems to me that a box like this would include the 2LP version of HE. That´s it then, in terms of numbers. On the other hand - why would She`s The One should be a double disc? Especially if we consider the possibility of a separate Wildflowers/All The Rest release this winter as well, including the related titles that would fit on an imaginary She´s The One issue. So I guess, we are still in the dark for what will be on all the 12 discs. 

As for the potential of bonus material, I kind of - so shoot me - almost hope there won´t be any in this set! (Ouch!!) First of all I always prefer my bonus/outtakes stuff to be released as separate as possible, not messing too much with the original album. Second, bonus tracks, rarities etc, is also something that doesn´t really benefit too much of the vinyl format, IMO (unless released as a single or whatever, of course). Archival stuff, loose tracks or even anthologies, I much rather hear digitally - hi res files or preferably on CD (I´m that old, yeah), since I don´t tend to listen to that sort of wildly great and interesting, yet disjointed stuff the same way - that is, as an album - as I listen to vinyl records. So at this point I find myself hoping this lot will be the clean and wonderful albums only, running the way they use to, that they will be released separately as well and that potential bonus tracks will be available on download or CD to go with this lot. For me personally, buying a 12 LP box with a few scattered bonus tracks would do two things - a big hole in my wallet and a big mess in my music collection. :)  Ah, ain´t this great problems to have. Look forward to see more about this release, of course.  

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

These things are really cool, but they also really aimed to milk the core fans that already fed the band the butter through the years.

I agree. While understanding some people may really want this sort of thing; it just feels like record companies will do whatever they can to drain the money from the listeners. Oh well.

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

First of all I always prefer my bonus/outtakes stuff to be released as separate as possible, not messing too much with the original album. Second, bonus tracks, rarities etc, is also something that doesn´t really benefit too much of the vinyl format, IMO

I love albums; complete artistic statements and portraits of where they were at the time. Bonus track/b-sides, etc. collections are good too. A collection like that can make for a good album on their own. But just leave the original record alone. Same with remastering where they ruin the quality for the sake of loudness. 

Give the listeners the opportunity to purchase collections of b-sides instead of adding a few to an album an offering it as a special edition.

cheers

Fr Bull Moose:
Includes Wildflowers (2-LP); She's The One (1-LP); Echo (2-LP; three sides of music plus laser art etching on side four); The Last DJ (2-LP; three sides of music plus laser art etching on side four); Highway Companion (2-LP); Mojo (2-LP); and Hypnotic Eye (1-LP). All vinyl in box is 180 gram  :(

^ If so, that sounds good to me. Even if three sided vinyls are an abomination to be avoided if possible, I suppose sometimes it is a necessary measure, some cool etchings could be fine. And even if all that "empty space" could be used to stuff more onto these releases, I guess it´s no real big surprise if "that´s it". Myself, I both like it (at least as long as I can get to hear some kind of other rarity release eventually)* - and find it quite expected too. Bonus material and outtakes are, after all, a very rare and usual thing in TP land. And I´m torn, of course - while I do want to hear and know about all the rare outtakes and stuff I can, I really love my albums untouched, like I said.

And, like I said, I hope the titles will be available separately. It's great that these albums get reissued, but I have no need for the whole box (in accordance w above reasoning).

Also - I wonder if this means that HC will be reissued with or without the "deluxe" pack bonus tracks? And if Mojo will have any of the extra tracks on there. HE will be released in it´s basic rendition, without Playing Dumb. These tracks are "extra" but since they the albums have already been released in one shape or other with them included, I guess it could be dealt with both ways. The HE being one disc, may suggest none of this material will be included and it´s the stripped down "original" prints, no more no less, that is coming. Quite alright.

-----

* I could - like I think has been discussed - see a rarity box in some digital format, collecting the three old rarity discs off Playback with a few new discs, completing what was missing on Playback (that is Cause is Understood, Don´t Treat Me Like A Stranger and so on) and what´s been happening since then, in terms of quality extras, outtakes, b-sides and key-demos). This would give the fans - old and new - a chance to gather all the key rarities in one, hopefully nice looking and informative release, just like was attempted (done?) with Live Anthology. Beware - "The Rarities Anthology". That is what I really would love to see! At least Dylan have the type of fans that still make such releases possible and quite marketable. (He is soon to release Another mammoth 36CD box....!!!) but perhaps even some 6 or 7 CDs or core cool stuff is too much for the TP camp to handle.. Well, at least I can hope they consider it. Especially on top of every original song being reissued now for the tenth time....

I would imagine that eventually all the albums will be released, BUT how many times can you buy the same thing? Original LP's, Singles, then CD's, then Live DVD's, then Live Blue Ray DVD's, Box Sets, Comp Albums, Greatest Hits albums and back to all these same LP's remastered over and over. Not to mention we are back to Vinyl LP's and have to buy them again. What's next, an LP remastered on Mars that we can only play on little green laser machines?  A couple songs that never made it to the original is nice, but it's nothing new, we've all heard these songs and have them. Why don't bands just do a new LP the old fashioned way, get in the studio and record a 14 song LP in 1 day and release that raw sound and then do it 3 times a year??? And let's cut out the crappy digital stuff and record it with real musicians playing real instruments on tape!!! That's the way it should be, just fun for the band, not pressure from the recording studio's. Very few bands have that luxury today, but there are a few like TPATH, Stones, McCartney and the greats from the past. We're back to listening to vinyl, why not go back to recording it that way? Just my opinion folks.

1 hour ago, Mikeyt said:

Folks. This sort of money could be spent on your own guitar. Just think of the joy that can bring.

Yes! Or any instrument (to a degree). Playing music on your own or with friends is a lot of fun, helps with stress and makes you feel good. Unless you're a prodigy you have to put some time in to learn but that's with most things that are worthwhile, right?

This is just a big box of music we've all heard before...

cheers

I agree that owning the music and listening to it is great and your 1st chance to get into music. BUT, If you already own the music, it's better to spend your money to buy a guitar, drums, keyboards or whatever and try to learn what your idols are doing. Believe me, I know how hard it is to learn to play an instrument, I've done it. The bad part is starting, no one wants to sit and play "Mary Had A Little Lamb" or learn scales when they are 30 years old, but learning that is essential to what you will become. I was born loving drums and it came natural to me, but I still sat at those drums practicing 12 to 18 hours a day to learn new things and getting better at what I already knew. Do that for 20 years and you can sit in with anyone and know what to do without anyone telling you how to play. Music is the most important part of my life, other than my family. When you get down to it, what is life without music? It's just get up, go to work, get home cook supper, watch TV, get in bed and wait for the alarm clock to go off and start all over again! Go buy a guitar and try something new. Chances are you will NEVER become a rock star, but you'll smile and be happy!!!!!!!!

Well there are some folks out there that are hardcore audiophiles and have waited for these albums to be remastered and on 180 gram vinyl. I'm not one of them. But if you've got the cash and that's what you want to spend it on, go for it. Am I disappointed that we're getting a vinyl boxset instead of Wildflowers? Yup. But I can't do anything about it. 

Petty's capitalizing on the vinyl resurgence as well as the understanding that certain LPs of his go for huge amounts on the secondary market. His camp knows that there's a market for those LPs, but won't spend that money on one LP. So for the price of Wildflowers on the secondary market, you can get the whole Vol. 2 boxset. 

Wanna buy a guitar instead? That's cool too.