martin03345

Let's Try to Make Southern Accents Great Again

On 4/25/2019 at 7:04 AM, Big Blue Sky said:

In an interview, TP said though people hold up signs asking for Magnolia, they'll never play it live because he was really forcing the muse, creating a song to offer Roger McGuinn, who didn't even want it in the end!

I absolutely love Magnolia. I listen to it all the time. It's one of Tom's most romantic songs and I love the way he tells the story as if we're watching a movie. It's epic and intimate at the same time. And the backing vocals are amazing. I never understood why there wasn't more love for that song!

Maybe they liked their concerts the same way as the major part of their audiences: Without any big surprises. The odd new song can throw you a little bit, because it takes you somewhere else, changes the overall atmosphere. Some people like that and go for it, others don't.

On May 14, 2019 at 2:52 PM, nurktwin said:

When you play a new song from a new LP and you see the crowd sit down, get quiet, leave to take a piss or get a drink, it's time to remove the song from the set list!!!!

I think that perspective is the difference between a good live band and a great one, the latter will take such "risks" repeatedly. Look at the one and only performance of Fault Lines, sure it wasn't...faultless (geez!) but it could've taken off on stage had Tom stuck with it. Oh well.

I'm not denying it must stink to see the crowd go from a 10 in excitement down to a 2 for a new song or deep cut but so what? Either win e'm over or it's their loss for not caring for it, but somewhere in that audience were some people who appreciated the band playing new songs and deep cuts, even on those big stadium/arena tours.

cheers

On May 14, 2019 at 3:44 PM, Gregory18 said:

I absolutely love Magnolia.

That song has grown on me. I kinda wish they'd played it for the woman in their crew who wanted to hear it. Or...no, I"m thinking of How Many More Days, a woman they worked with always wanted to hear that I think. 

Either way, they could've played the latter for the woman they worked with and the former for those sign-holding fans; oh well.

cheers

Mark Felsot just teased an upcoming segment on TPR. He says he is going to play his version of Southern Accents today, in honor of the album’s 35th anniversary. He said that his version may include tracks that were recorded at the same time but were not included in the original release, and that he might leave out some of the tracks that were in the release. 

I hope to be able to listen and jot down his tracks, and hope others will too.

3 minutes ago, Arete411 said:

Mark Felsot just teased an upcoming segment on TPR. He says he is going to play his version of Southern Accents today, in honor of the album’s 35th anniversary. He said that his version may include tracks that were recorded at the same time but were not included in the original release, and that he might leave out some of the tracks that were in the release. 

I hope to be able to listen and jot down his tracks, and hope others will too.

Thanks for the heads-up!

My Sirius XM package is the "Music" one but it doesn't include TPR, unfortunately. That's always been a thorn in my craw. But, I don't need or want to pay for a full subscription, and I don't buy new cars enough to get it for free for a time.

So, hopefully someone will post the list here, and hopefully they are all versions I already have in case I want to make my own version of his.

Just finished side A streaming.  Decent choices, Mark indicated he would have included Gainsville if he could but it was from 1999 so is not qualified.

I have to say I really love Walking From The Fire.... 

Side A

Southern Accents

Don't come Around Here no more

Big Boss Man

Rebels

Walking From the Fire

Trailer (Playback version)

Side B... 

Dogs on the run

The image of me

Spike  

Apartment song (w Stevie Nicks / Playback version/ Demo)

Mary's new car

Best of everything (Best of Everything version from 2019)

Not a bad effort. I really like the original myself so I don't know if I want to remix it myself.  I do with Walking the fire was on the album... 

I like the original Southern Accents album and rate it very highly, even though it failed to remain a concept album once Dave Stewart was involved.   The major change I would have preferred, and which they almost did, would be to replace Spike with Trailer.

If someone were to make SA more true to the original concept, I think they'd have to remove Don't Come Around Here No More, It Ain't Nothin' To Me, Make It Better, and possibly Mary's New Car.  Possibly also Dogs On The Run, though I do love having that song on the album - it adds some needed energy, especially if one was going to remove those other songs.    

I do like the idea of adding in not only Trailer, but Keeping Me Alive, and several other songs that surfaced on the Playback boxed set.  

I could see this evolving into two albums, one being called Southern Accents, the other - I don't know what it would be called, but if Dogs On The Run was moved to that album, that could be the title.  So one would be a dedicated "Southern" album, the other one would include the weird/psychedelic songs that were often horn-laden (though Rebels and The Best of Everything would remain on the Southern album), or anything that wasn't really fitting with the Southern Accents theme.     

3 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I like the original Southern Accents album and rate it very highly, even though it failed to remain a concept album once Dave Stewart was involved.   The major change I would have preferred, and which they almost did, would be to replace Spike with Trailer.

If someone were to make SA more true to the original concept, I think they'd have to remove Don't Come Around Here No More, It Ain't Nothin' To Me, Make It Better, and possibly Mary's New Car.  Possibly also Dogs On The Run, though I do love having that song on the album - it adds some needed energy, especially if one was going to remove those other songs.    

I do like the idea of adding in not only Trailer, but Keeping Me Alive, and several other songs that surfaced on the Playback boxed set.  

I could see this evolving into two albums, one being called Southern Accents, the other - I don't know what it would be called, but if Dogs On The Run was moved to that album, that could be the title.  So one would be a dedicated "Southern" album, the other one would include the weird/psychedelic songs that were often horn-laden (though Rebels and The Best of Everything would remain on the Southern album), or anything that wasn't really fitting with the Southern Accents theme.     

I agree with the take outs except "Dogs on the Run." It's a great track and good late album filler right before you get to "The Best of Everything" as an album closer. Also, I disagree with opening with "Southern Accents". It's tempo is much more in line with being an A-Side closer to put a wrap on the albums motif and sound. "Rebels" is the one and only track that fits to open the album. To slide it in anywhere else would be a bastardization of sorts. Kind of like if FMF swapped "Free Fallin" for "Love is a Long Road", it'd make for a better flowing album, and plus, LIALR would've been a great opener. 

I hope that anyone who does go and resquence albums listens to their new track order to see how it flows and if it makes sense as a concept lol.

Mark did mention during his show that he was struggling with the track order and expected criticism and loads of feedback there was a post on the TPN facebook page he made so probably lots of comments there...  have been busy around the house and yard so I have not spent too much time on social media lately as its not a fun place given the pandemic. :( 

15 hours ago, martin03345 said:

"Rebels" is the one and only track that fits to open the album.

I agree. Rebels HAS to be the album opener.  Southern Accents (the song) has to come later.  

15 hours ago, martin03345 said:

I agree with the take outs except "Dogs on the Run." It's a great track and good late album filler right before you get to "The Best of Everything" as an album closer

Well I'm on the fence about moving Dogs on the Run from the "Southern" album to the other one.  I agree that the Southern album could use it for the energy and pacing, but it wouldn't really fit the theme of that album.  The trouble is, the more the album is moved toward a true and consistent "Southern" album, the more it winds up with the songs sounding too similar, and the pace too slow.  Which is why the original album works for me in terms of listenability, even though it's a hybrid of two distinct styles rather than remaining true to the original concept.  

By the way, I greatly prefer the original Trailer to the Mudcrutch remake version of it.  I think Trailer would work very well on the original SA album, replacing Spike as was strongly considered.  

15 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

not spent too much time on social media lately as its not a fun place given the pandemic.

Don't worry, this particular sick does not transmit over those platforms.

1 hour ago, RedfordCowboy said:

Quite an odd way to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the release, by resequencing the album…

That's actually a very good point, could be the first time that's been done. Usually a celebration of an album is its original track list, warts and all.

LIke them or loathe them most people would not celebrate Guns n Roses Appetite for Destruction by resquencing it. Same with FMF. 

I guess it's the failed concept album part with a mix of the crazy psychedelia and funk that lends itself to that; reshaping it so the songs better fit the title and intent.

cheers

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I guess it's the failed concept album part with a mix of the crazy psychedelia and funk that lends itself to that; reshaping it so the songs better fit the title and intent.

Although I could see splitting it into two albums, one "Southern Roots", and one "Psychedelic/Funk" - I do like the way the original album fits together as is.  Remember that TP is a Southern boy who grew up with country music influences, but also grew up with British Invasion, psychedelic 60's, and funky horn-laden music.  So from that perspective it all works from the clash of musical style's representing Tom's (and the band's) musical roots, both the traditional and the new.    

SIDE A

1. Rebels

2. Trailer (Playback Version)

3. The Apartment Song (A Little Lonely Tonight) Feat. Stevie Nicks

4. Spike

5. Dogs On The Run

SIDE B

1. Don't Come Around Here No More

2. Walkin' From The Fire

3. Casa Dega

4. The Best of Everything

5. Southern Accents

7 hours ago, RedfordCowboy said:

SIDE A

1. Rebels

2. Trailer (Playback Version)

3. The Apartment Song (A Little Lonely Tonight) Feat. Stevie Nicks

4. Spike

5. Dogs On The Run

SIDE B

1. Don't Come Around Here No More

2. Walkin' From The Fire

3. Casa Dega

4. The Best of Everything

5. Southern Accents

This would be a good album, and more in line with the original theme.  Personally though I'd prefer The Best of Everything remaining as the closer, and Southern Accents going somewhere else (maybe the start of Side B).   Also, with Casa Dega already being a B-side from the DTT album, I'm not sure if that would go on a "new" album.  But the feel and theme works for the album.

There also might need to be an EP if not a full album of Heartbreakers Get Funky or something like that (ok that wouldn't be the actual title).  Although Down The Line was a few years away, that might have fit on an album with Make It Better and It Aint Nothin' To Me.    Possibly adding in Mary's New Car, a cool song that I actually like quite a lot, though it's often overlooked.  And what if Mike's music which became The Boys of Summer (for Don Henley) had become a Petty/Heartbreakers song?  Tom rejected that music/song because it wasn't fitting the Southern Accents theme, but it might have fit a funkified/psychedelic horn-laden Heartbreakers album which was not Southern Accents.  Add in a few more Petty, Campbell/Petty, and/or Stewart/Petty songs, and you might have ended up with two interesting albums from this period instead of one.  Or maybe it would just be a mess. 

I've gotten to like the SA album "as is", but I still think they should have put Trailer in the place of Spike, as was apparently intended at one point.   

At one point Southern Accents was slated to be a 2 LP album.  With that in mind, and with the view that you could add in songs that have been released as B-sides, but not on an album, it could be filled out that way.  Some justification could also be given to including the previously released B-sides, as a 2 LP album was typically priced in those days at only about 50% more than a single LP album, rather than twice the price of a single LP.  

Down The Line didn't actually materialize until a few years later, but it seems to fit (sort of) with some of the other tracks.  I'm also assuming that the band would keep Ways To Be Wicked instead of giving it to Lone Justice (it appeared on the LJ debut album in 1985).   Some Walkin' From The Fire lyrics were later re-used in My Life/Your World, so lyrics from one of those songs would have to change a bit.    Another assumption is that the song that became The Boys of Summer was adapted by Petty and placed on this album, rather than being given to Don Henley.   

Side A:

Rebels 5:21

Trailer (Playback version) 3:15

Walkin' From The Fire 4:44

Casa Dega 3:37

Side B:

Don't Come Around Here No More 5:07

Dogs On The Run 3:40

Ways To Be Wicked 3:27

Make It Better 4:23 

Side C

Southern Accents 4:44

It Ain't Nothin' To Me 5:12

Spike 3:33

Turning Point 2:52

Down The Line 2:53

SIde D

(The Boys of Summer*) 4:45

Keeping Me Alive 2:59

Mary's New Car 3:47

The Best of Everything 4:03

* - Mike's song that became TBOS, but as a TPATH song 

The album could also be released as a single CD, running about 68 and a half minutes. 

10 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

At one point Southern Accents was slated to be a 2 LP album.

“Image of Me” would fit nicely into this track lineup, no? According to Zollo’s interview with Tom, this Denny Cordell-produced track was slated for inclusion on Southern Accents when it was still being conceptualized as a double LP.

5 hours ago, Arete411 said:

“Image of Me” would fit nicely into this track lineup, no? According to Zollo’s interview with Tom, this Denny Cordell-produced track was slated for inclusion on Southern Accents when it was still being conceptualized as a double LP.

Yes they recorded The Image of Me as well as Nick Lowe's Cracking Up, with the intent of putting them on the 2 LP version (both songs appear on the Playback boxed set).  I deliberately left those off because they are cover songs rather than band-authored songs.  The only exceptions to using band-authored songs (only) on studio albums are FMF, STO, and the first Greatest Hits.   Given that FMF is "solo", STO is a "soundtrack", and GH was an existing compilation with a new single and a cover song thrown in, one could say the "true" TPATH albums never had cover songs.  Anyway, I went the route of band-authored songs only.  

Also I left off the intended The Apartment Song because it fits nicely with FMF and is well-known for being there.  It could have fit on the 2 LP Southern Accents, and that was strongly considered at the time.  Then again, much as I like hearing Stevie Nicks' voice along with Tom's, I think that song works better with Tom's voice only.  When you sing about "being lonely", not a great idea to do it as a duet, IMO.  For similar reasons, Mike's recent song Lockdown works better IMO with his providing all the voices and instruments himself, rather than being joined by his band (as he considered doing initially).