martin03345

Let's Try to Make Southern Accents Great Again

On 4/25/2019 at 7:04 AM, Big Blue Sky said:

In an interview, TP said though people hold up signs asking for Magnolia, they'll never play it live because he was really forcing the muse, creating a song to offer Roger McGuinn, who didn't even want it in the end!

I absolutely love Magnolia. I listen to it all the time. It's one of Tom's most romantic songs and I love the way he tells the story as if we're watching a movie. It's epic and intimate at the same time. And the backing vocals are amazing. I never understood why there wasn't more love for that song!

Maybe they liked their concerts the same way as the major part of their audiences: Without any big surprises. The odd new song can throw you a little bit, because it takes you somewhere else, changes the overall atmosphere. Some people like that and go for it, others don't.

On May 14, 2019 at 2:52 PM, nurktwin said:

When you play a new song from a new LP and you see the crowd sit down, get quiet, leave to take a piss or get a drink, it's time to remove the song from the set list!!!!

I think that perspective is the difference between a good live band and a great one, the latter will take such "risks" repeatedly. Look at the one and only performance of Fault Lines, sure it wasn't...faultless (geez!) but it could've taken off on stage had Tom stuck with it. Oh well.

I'm not denying it must stink to see the crowd go from a 10 in excitement down to a 2 for a new song or deep cut but so what? Either win e'm over or it's their loss for not caring for it, but somewhere in that audience were some people who appreciated the band playing new songs and deep cuts, even on those big stadium/arena tours.

cheers

On May 14, 2019 at 3:44 PM, Gregory18 said:

I absolutely love Magnolia.

That song has grown on me. I kinda wish they'd played it for the woman in their crew who wanted to hear it. Or...no, I"m thinking of How Many More Days, a woman they worked with always wanted to hear that I think. 

Either way, they could've played the latter for the woman they worked with and the former for those sign-holding fans; oh well.

cheers