martin03345

Let's Try to Make Southern Accents Great Again

I feel that with the release of the new box, and the conversation in the Fricke interview (part one) where they say that fans could create their own alternate Southern Accents we should revive this thread in the light of the new tracks from the box. 

Benmont mentions that "Walkin' From The Fire" could have been on Southern Accents. The alternate versions of "Rebels" and "The Best of Everything." They also mention "Apartment Song" which posters on this thread agree. 

What say the 'crutchers?

🙂

I've made my own alternate versions of SA over the years, and I would definitely do another one now with "Walkin' From The Fire" and the alternate version of "Rebels."  I like the version of "The Best of Everything" that's already on there, though.

But also "The Apartment Song" and "Trailer" and even "Casa Dega."

It is a B-Side from DTT but it's an amazing song, with an amazing sound that fits the whole southern motif of Southern Accents. As much as I love the song and it may very well be a top 10er for me, DTT is my favorite album of all time and it's a perfect entity as it is. So if it was to make it's way onto an album, SA would be the album it'd fit on the most if they truly went the way of a southern rock/country rock album, which was it's original intention.

Now, seeing as it's been 2 years since this thread has been made, "Walkin' From the Fire" could easily fit on there, and as much as I love the alternate version of "Rebels", I do think the overproduction of "Rebels" works in the same way as "20th Century Man" does for the Kinks Muswell Hillbillies.

2 hours ago, mikeroeder said:

What say the 'crutchers?

I went back to see what I'd originally came up with and I'd keep it the same but add Walkin' From the Fire. I guess musically I'd put it as spot #2 or to fit with what I was doing here, either before or after the apartment song. Maybe after.

01)Southern Accents
02) Spike
03)Mary's New Car
04)It Ain't Nothin' To Me
05)Trailer

Side B
06)Rebels
07)Make it Better
08) Dogs on the Run
09) The best of everything
10)The Apartment Song
11)Walkin' From the Fire
12)Don't Come Around Here No More

3 hours ago, chimera said:

Whoops sorry - not because it originated in that time period but because - for me - it fits thematically in that original concept.  But that's just me and I imagine no one else feels this way.

I feel that way too, Chimera!

Casa Dega seems is so much part of the image of the south that they are creating.  Especially the rhythms. 

I wouldn't mind there being an instrumental of Breakdown on there too for the same musical reason.  (Though that's just me)

Fun thread to revisit. I guess most clever things been said already. At least when it comes to me. 

Perphaps just an addition that, yes, I too feel Casa Dega is a great fit. Had it not been released on that single in 1979, had they saved it for a rainy day, so to speak, it would have been a great song to revisit during SA sessions, to find its place unto the album.

Other than that, my initial belief that there are quite a lot more in the vaults to be heard, before any final judgement is to made, seems to have been further strengthened. That said, a new draft, for me - going only by what we know today, and being more than suitable for further resequencing and additions, should/when more original quality material show up from the sessions - could perhaps look like this:

A: Rebels (raw) / Trailer / Dogs On The Run / Stories We Could Tell / Southern Accents

B: Walkin' from The Fire / Keeping Me Alive (unused at the time) / Spike / Crackin' Up / The Best of Everything

And.. just, before you come after me about those covers, please read the whole thread...

Yeah agree -  it's a nice behind-the-scenes look at what it might be like being on the road & also about honoring past musicians ... very much the southern accents vibe

• remember that guitar in a museum in Tennessee / and the nameplate on the glass brought back twenty melodies

Hey guys, I am revisiting this thread to ask if any of you have actually played your re-imagined Southern Accents album. It's a great experience! Theoretically putting the tracks together in threads like this is a lot of fun, but, inspired by the American Treasure tracks, with everything finally available in one place or another, I actually put this track list together together today and played it through as an album. Wow, totally worth it.

So, for reference, this is my tracklist:

Southern Accents Re-imagined
1. Rebels (American Treasure version)
2. Trailer (original version)
3. Keeping Me Alive (American Treasure version)
4. Don't Come Around Here No More
5. Southern Accents
6. Casa Dega
7. Spike
8. Apartment Song (original version w/ Stevie Nicks)
9. Dogs on the Run
10. Turning Point
11. Walkin' From the Fire
12. The Best of Everything (American Treasure version)

Guys, this is an amazing album! It just sounds right. The flow and style of the tracks works, and the quality is higher. I absolutely enjoyed this, and I feel like it would be a classic Heartbreakers release with a unique, organic sound that would stand up with just about anything in the catalog. It's not even a knock on the songs cut out (It Ain't Nothin' to Me, Make it Better, Mary's New Car), all of which can be argued to have some merit. It just feels of a piece like this. There's just the right proportion of horns, which was a bit cheesy and overdone in the original album but is just sprinkled for taste here, and it's a fuller (though not "complete") representation of the vibe and theme Tom was going for at the time.

I highly recommend trying this out and listening all the way through.

2 hours ago, High Grass Dog said:

Southern Accents Re-imagined
1. Rebels (American Treasure version)
2. Trailer (original version)
3. Keeping Me Alive (American Treasure version)
4. Don't Come Around Here No More
5. Southern Accents
6. Casa Dega
7. Spike
8. Apartment Song (original version w/ Stevie Nicks)
9. Dogs on the Run
10. Turning Point
11. Walkin' From the Fire
12. The Best of Everything (American Treasure version)

You almost need to drop Don't come around here no more.... listening to this tracking now and it's jarring how out of place the horns are on that song with this track list.  I really like the song too, but I also like Marys car as I always found it a simple sweet song, almost like background noise.... 

25 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

You almost need to drop Don't come around here no more.... listening to this tracking now and it's jarring how out of place the horns are on that song with this track list.  I really like the song too, but I also like Marys car as I always found it a simple sweet song, almost like background noise.... 

Maybe I'm being inconsistent by preaching about the album's vibe but then leaving DCAHNM in there, but I think that one works as an exception. The song is too good to lose!

so hey farmers, in the mini-documentary for Southern Accents there's the montage where they're driving around Gainesville with Southern Accents playing.  There are images of kids & other folks hanging out. 

• I have a question for y'all.... do you think maybe the first two kids shown could actually be the Petty girls?    From 20:40 to 20.52. 

Also, yes, I admit I am that shallow - another chance to post this (I just grabbed a copy off youtube)

have they ever done a stripped down version of Don't come around here no more?  Every live version I've heard has the typical build up and bold sound... I'm wondering if a more subdued version would have fit in southern accents.. or at least take out the sitar...  otherwise one might advocate @High Grass Dog's playlist above, remove DCAHNM and drop in Surrender so it finally sees an actual album release and hold DCAHNM for the next album so it gets proper exposure to the universe. :D 

16 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

have they ever done a stripped down version of Don't come around here no more?  Every live version I've heard has the typical build up and bold sound... I'm wondering if a more subdued version would have fit in southern accents.. or at least take out the sitar...  otherwise one might advocate @High Grass Dog's playlist above, remove DCAHNM and drop in Surrender so it finally sees an actual album release and hold DCAHNM for the next album so it gets proper exposure to the universe. :D  

Yeah, as for me, I am still to hear a few more original songs in the league of Walkin From The Fire quality, to really make SA the full-blown masterpiece of its potential, let alone the double LP initially intended. WFTF surfacing really hints towards what could've been, but as far as I know right now, there may not be enough original material to make it happen. To me Casa Dega would only be an option if it hadn't been issued on single in 79 and if it was rerecorded. Trailer would also need some kinda enhancement. Surrender could have find a place here, sure, but again.. it would need another treatment from the ones we've heard so far. So.. starting to peel back all the uncertainties here.. for now, I end up filling the solid stuff out with covers (see above). My dream is seeing/hearing more songs from these sessions released from the vaults. If there is three or four good ones, we would start closing in on a really great album that could have been, without using covers or songs that were ultimately made for other albums/sessions.

When it comes to DCAHNM, I always found the song both great and too weird/different for the SA context, at the same time. I never thought it did much in ways of adding to the album vibe on SA, and I would be glad to cut it from the album. I would have preferred if it had its chance to shine fully as a single only release (a big fat 1985 style 12" single with cool artwork, liner notes and so on), kinda the way Mary Jane's Last Dance is standing on it's own. That way the very special character of the song would have it's due, without confusing the soul out of an album, where it doesn't seem to have a place, stylistically, atmospherically. My 2 cents.

On a related note.. this was kinda different and fun: