Sign in to follow this  
BTdude

Tom Petty "The Woods"

Heard the premiere today by running down to my car in the parking lot at noon. :D Cool song. Tom said it was started during the Highway Companion sessions, but never developed and finished until recently. Josh Jove on guitar. Steve Ferrone on drums. Toms plays most everything else. Has a nice breezy rhythm, catchy chorus and some harmonica licks. Looking forward to hearing it again!

Highway Companion was always on the fence for me. I certainly like it, but it's just a few songs away from being a top-notch album for me. Down South is a fantastic song, but then we have Jack instead of a one of those outtakes on the extended cut. And, of course, it's hard for three guys to compete with The Heartbreakers musically

Any one remember a few lyrics from "The Woods"?

@ Jay

"Highway Companion" is not a poor album, it has some catchy songs on it, like "Down South",  "Ankle Deep" or "Big Weekend".

Unfortunately I could not hear here in Germany "The Woods".
But he is probably right up my alley, when I read that what you write.

I want the song necessarily even hear
Marion please Help !

Haha, yea...that bout sums it up. But I certainly dug it a bit. I like the melody of the chorus, and there are some neat sounds here and there. Though, I can't help wondering, what is so bad about waking up in the woods. I hope it's a metaphor ha.

I'd preferred this to Jack on the album.

Thanks for posting Marion

Ha, sorry Marion. I just can't get passed those musical interludes between verses. I swear at the and of them he is hitting an anvil with a hammer....makes me laugh every time.

But the lyrics certainly are fine.

I was joking about the lyrics, I haven't even heard the song.

However, all this conversation about "Jack" had me give it a listen.

It falls right in the middle of the pack of songs; it's all right. I like the shuffle beat and the chorus but the same time, I could see myself being tired ofthis rather quickly. Perhaps it should've stopped at a minute and been a much shorter song. 

cheers

Thanks for posting Marion, great to get to hear the song! 

First impressions I have are that 'The Woods' is not in the same league as the other recent excellent  'Somewhere Under Heaven' and 'Looking For Daddy' releases both of which I love and play regularly since they have come out.  Both those songs stand up and resonate as great additions to the Tom Petty catalogue of songs over the last 40 years and more.

So what did I find in The Woods today then? Well...

The verse lyrics tend to get a bit lost as the tempo speed of the song is a bit too fast to really get the lyrics clear and out there to aid the song....the mind map images of the lyrics in the verse are good but need to be more prominent...a question of tempo and vocal style delivery chosen.

I think the chorus needs a bit more than ''don't want to get lost in the woods'' just repeated. I like the atmosphere in the song that the harmonica parts deliver but overall as a song, for me anyway it doesn't quite come together. It's a bit too much studio synthetic cut and paste sounding in my view...it might have come out better if it had the organic feel of all the Heartbreakers adding their unique 'band magic' to the recording.

The woods, sounding somewhere between US41 and Jack for sure...

A bit of a frustrating song I guess from my perspective, as there are some good things there, but those things aren't fully realised....perhaps they just got lost in the woods or maybe with the sun coming out it will light my way to find what i'm looking for in The Woods!