Sign in to follow this  
dollardime

Stans last and Steve's first TV show performance with The Heartbreakers (probably)

Ok, so I'm going out on a bit of a limb here and joining the dots and reckon that this is Stans last ''TV show'' performance with The Heartbreakers....September 9th 2014 going by this YouTube video.....The Bridge School Benefit which was Stan's last live show performance with the band was the following month, October 1994.

And (probably...open to correction) Steve's first live TV show performance with The Heartbreakers, 21st November 1994....You Wreck Me..

I loved Steve's free wheelin early drumming style personality with the Heartbreakers from around 94 -99....was more 'free' in style in those early years I think...he still has that in him but he plays the way Tom wants him to play in terms of not too much flash being the order of the day which has become more pronounced as time has gone on.

So, just over two months in between.. I say, no wonder MC sports the same shoes in both performances.. In fact, they look so good that TP had to go get himself a pair for whenever Dave was gonna call him again.. which then, again, turned out to me no more than two month. Busy promoting, boys! Way to go!

Seriously though.. I always found that SL performance to be among his lamest, which incidentally is not really his fault since the song, well, the song.. is not a song that fits living drummers. And looking at this performance of theirs... even if it may be the benefit of hindsight... you can tell Stan had no place working in this band no more.

I also always felt that second performance one of the last really animated and frolicking performances of theirs, in the somewhat style of their olden days. Not long after this they were growing older fast by the late 90s. Substances and sorrows didn't help either I suppose. Anyway.. one of the last shows I can think of when they physically lift off the ground at times, always fun to watch this here piece and a quite heavy and good version of the song too. It was still fresh then, of course, but the harmonies... ladies and gentlemen.. the harmonies... 

Yes. On a aside note: Howie still looked and sounded so into it at this point in time. Man, he has perfect groove and perfect pitch! Sounds great with Scott and TP, as we all know.. Particularly noticeable in this stellar YWM version.  

On ‎29‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 10:18 PM, Shelter said:

I also always felt that second performance one of the last really animated and frolicking performances of theirs, in the somewhat style of their olden days. Not long after this they were growing older fast by the late 90s. Substances and sorrows didn't help either I suppose. Anyway.. one of the last shows I can think of when they physically lift off the ground at times, always fun to watch this here piece and a quite heavy and good version of the song too. It was still fresh then, of course, but the harmonies... ladies and gentlemen.. the harmonies... 

Absolutely right. It's insane how energetic this performance is! But I think Tom - and probably the whole band - felt renewed when Steve joined. I can imagine it felt like starting all over, leaving troubles (the troubles with Stan) behind.

After that, I think, the Echo era gave them a blow they never really recovered from. Age and substances not helping any, of course.

I've listened to so many live versions of You Wreck Me I'd forgotten the energy in the short early version, like this one here.

Regardless of where one stands on the Stan/Steve issue, this performance has a lot of energy to it. Unlike some other fast paced TPATH songs, You Wreck Me has a memorable chord progression and it seems like Tom and the band came out with something to prove. Considering its a tv show which aren't always the best showcase for live performances, I think it's pretty good. 

cheers

How about this one then! I can see a drummer firsts and lasts trend developing here! This has surfaced on youtube in a much better quality than a previous 'grainey' version....:)

Ok, on the same type of theme of firsts and lasts with Heartbreaker drummers appearing on live TV shows in America in the 90's, here's Curt Bisquera behind the drum kit in this Walls TV performance from September 30th 1996, which also got me thinking about She's The One album, that is one of my top favorite TPATHB albums...looking at the album notes reminds me that Steve only did the drums on 'Hope You Never' and 'California....Curt did the rest on the album except for a certain Ringo Starr on 'Hung Up And Overdue'.

Is that the X Files Gillian Anderson at the start of the clip there? Her co-star in that show is currently ''performing'' Square One....David Duchovny....

Which got me thinking ....I wonder why Steve was not behind the drum kit for this performance as by '96 he would have been 2 years into his Heartbreakers career as a member of the band....or maybe it was a case that in those early years he was not formally inducted into the band as a full member rather as a session and live guy to play the drums who gradually became part of the furniture and the band as time went on....who knows...well it may be that he wasn't there because he was filling in on drums and percussion for Aerosmith from August 1996 - Septemeber 1996 as a substitute for Joey Kramer during pre production for the 'Nine Lives' album , as Kramer was ill and grieving the loss of his father. (according to Aerosmith googlebooks link)

Steve also did the drums on one track 'Seduces You' of Celine Dion's 1996 album 'Falling Into You'.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/steve-ferrone-mn0000059379/credits a look at that link really does show how much work Steve has done with so many as a studio musician as well... 

I'd say Let Me Up is more of a forgotten classic then STO. That album is full of filler. If they trimmed Walls 3, Angel Dream 4, Airport, and Hope on Board and add something like Somewhere Under Heaven and then you'd have a stellar album.

Anywho, Curt's drumming is okay. I think Steve does a better job and I think those rendtions of Walls are pretty lack luster because the Circus version from the album is one of the best songs they've ever done. It's a shame we've never had them try to capture that live

^ To me this is one of those mighty interesting cases... where LMU is the better album while STO has the better songs. 

As for Curt... I am no drummer. I don't know the technical terms, the cool wordings and all that. But I have a keen, if personal music ear that let's me, at least sometimes, have strong opinions about drumming and rhytm section work in general. (Ears that make me love drummers like John Bonham, Meg White, 1966 era Mickey Jones (was he on something??, Winston Watson, Stan Lynch to state a few obvious examples). Well, we discussed this in other threads to some length, I seem to recall. But to me Curt is some kind of middle way between Stan and Steve. That is, he has an animated and spontaneous way with his touch, a wild streak if you like, there's a temper to his drumming, something that fills it out at times and makes it come alive, for lack of better words, in a way I don't often hear with Steves more clean, cold and time keeping style. Yet, these things are not quite as stated with Curt as they were with Stan.

(On a side note: Aside from personal dimensions and calendar issues, perhaps what in the end made TP keep Steve on board, was that Curt's drumming wasn't far enough removed from Stan in certain ways. Not that the drummer mattered that incredibly much in the remaining 90s and most of the 00s - at least not in the studio. Still.. If Stan became obsolete in the grand musical plan of TP's, so was Curt. At least for the time being - as I've said.. seeing how the musical direction have taken turns since the late 00s, I would love to hear Curt - and of course especially Stan - take on some of the recent era live sets and records. - Well, to stick my head out here a little :o... If anything, the current era musical orientation of TP's, perhaps suggest that Steve now is the one becoming obsolete? Still, not even Randall - I'd say a cool but arguably weaker drummer than all of the above - seems allowed to roll out all he has, so... perhaps TP, despite growing and developing in many ways, is hell bent on keeping his 90s views of drumming.)

Anyway.. for you drum-heads out there.. that know more about these things than I do. This may be fun. I find it very interesting: 

On ‎05‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 0:03 PM, Shelter said:

(On a side note: Aside from personal dimensions and calendar issues, perhaps what in the end made TP keep Steve on board, was that Curt's drumming wasn't far enough removed from Stan in certain ways. Not that the drummer mattered that incredibly much in the remaining 90s and most of the 00s - at least not in the studio. Still.. If Stan became obsolete in the grand musical plan of TP's, so was Curt. At least for the time being - as I've said.. seeing how the musical direction have taken turns since the late 00s, I would love to hear Curt - and of course especially Stan - take on some of the recent era live sets and records. - Well, to stick my head out here a little :o... If anything, the current era musical orientation of TP's, perhaps suggest that Steve now is the one becoming obsolete? Still, not even Randall - I'd say a cool but arguably weaker drummer than all of the above - seems allowed to roll out all he has, so... perhaps TP, despite growing and developing in many ways, is hell bent on keeping his 90s views of drumming.)

Brilliantly observed! Totally agree.

I think it's safe to say Tom's tendency (to say the least) to strip back the drumming in his nineties output is a result of his collaboration with Jeff Lynne. But I think we discussed that elsewhere. I'd find it amazingly interesting if they changed the drummer once more. Don't think they'll do it, getting old and probably lesser inclined to change anything, especially in the lineup, and all. But it would be a thrill to hear a more... Stan-like, wilder drummer play the material since Mojo.

As for Randall, it's a shame he, like Steve, is not allowed to stretch out a little bit more. He's not as good as Steve (who is?), that's for sure, but maybe his qualities would show a bit better if they let him have his way. Something tells me that's not the case. His playing on "2" sounds a tad Steve-ized.

3 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

His playing on "2" sounds a tad Steve-ized.

Did you just diagnose the whole state of the music business, in one word? I believe you kinda did.. Oh well, at least we´re still a few notches away from Zombified, right?

:lol:

I don't think Steve's the one to blame, though. They just told him to play less and less (as Petty describes it in "Conversations") and I guess they were just baffled at how little a drummer can play without complaining. Steve could do more, as proves his work with Average White Band or Clapton. It's just not what his employer wants. But we have to remain fair, for the majority of Tom's music since FMF the approach worked pretty well. Like you already said.

While I think I'd prefer more freedom for Steve (and Randall) overall, if not, at least give them a showcase tune; Benmont gets a couple as does Mike, even Ron got one for a small time with Two Men Talking. I don't mean a drum solo on its own but within a song, a place where the instruments keep the melody/groove going while Steve can throw in a lot of fills etc. for a long period of time, within this space he could do whatever he wanted, leading the band for a time, speeding up. slowing down, going nuts, being jazzy, etc.

cheers

I remember watching that "You Don't Know How It Feels" on Letterman.  I made a point of watching because I was a huge Petty fan.  

And I remember hating the song.  

I would go on to absolutely love Wildflowers.  It stands today as my favorite Tom Petty album.  But I could never really get into that particular song (though I no longer outright hate it).  

"Hard On Me" sounds like the hit off that album to my ear.  It was interesting to read in Conversations that Rick Rubin and Tom felt similarly.