Sign in to follow this  
dollardime

Tom Petty and Mudcrutch Teamed With Sean Penn and Anthony Hopkins for 'I Forgive It All' video

Wow, this is exciting news, to have actors the calibre of Penn & Hopkins involved is fantastic, can't wait to see it! 

''Tom Petty and Mudcrutch have teamed with Sean Penn and Anthony Hopkins for a stark new video for "I Forgive It All" that contemplates poverty, wealth, aging and absolution. When the video jumps to the present, Mudcrutch's aching acoustic ballad kicks in as Hopkins drives a sleek, classic car around the wealthiest parts of Los Angeles.''

Mudcrutch - I Forgive It All (Official Video)

I Forgive It All – The New Video from Mudcrutch Directed By Sean Penn & Samuel Bayer Starring Anthony Hopkins

Posted by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on Thursday, July 14, 2016

This really is an impactful collaboration on all fronts, certainly struck a chord with me..it's a video that takes me back to the video releases Tom and the Heartbreakers released in the MTV period...where the video itself was a short movie either complimenting the song or indeed on many ocasions taking the song in a different direction altogether,,,Walls (Circus) and Swingin' spring to mind immediately as examples of that.

The video also puts me in mind of the Johnny Cash 'Hurt' video in feel and atmosphere...some heavy duty stuff....It also reminds me of the 'Into The Wild' movie from a few years ago that I saw a couple of nights ago here on DVD, having read the book of the same title years earlier that inspired the movie, screenplay and directed by Sean Penn with great performances by Emile Hirsch and a brilliant Hal Holbrook....check it out if you havn't seen it already....and music sound track done by a certain Eddie Vedder whose song from the movie called 'Society' (the best song on the sound track by a long way in my view) could easily be the soundtrack of this 'I Forgive It All' video...so yeah...a lot of interesting connections there....

On the video itself, it is just as Tom's songs are, often deceptively simple, but with multiple hidden layers. I'm kinda conflicted about Hopkins character at the very end with his 'I forgive it all' shout...it seems more a shout of anger than regret or indeed redemption to me...maybe the Hopkins character was the mayor in the Burnt Out Town cooking the books and dancing on glass ceilings while the filthy money flows.....Power Drunk...but now sobering up as his own mortality is coming into view.....he passes the down trodden Shadow People person with the slumped shoulders who is trying to save some water for the war that is coming on the judgement day while going up the stairs...only turning back to realise that they are actually there as he reconnects with his humanity in the face of his own mortality....Hypnotic Eye sees it all......

Maybe 'people are what people make em and that ain't gonna change'...even with impending realisation of ones own mortality...maybe that is what the 'I forgive it all' shout in anger is all about at the end of the video, he can't ultimately hide from his greedy nature even if it was ultimately a bad thing, he can't shake it...who knows...

This would also be a great song for Tom to cover...so covering two threads for the price of one with this youtube clip!

^ Ah, yes.. that Vedder song always struck me as the perfect cover for TP to.. eh.. cover..! Amazingly great song and one of the best newly penned in the 2000s, IMO.

As for the Forgive It All video.. quite a star stuffed project for a Mudcrutch song. I suppose TP has many friends in high places, that makes all this possible in a way most bands can´t even dream of, let alone for a song off of their second ever album. And it´s a really powerful, beautiful video too. I leave it to anyone to explain to me what it´s all about and how the lyrics may or may not tie in, I am really clueless at this point.. but I like it never the less! How cool with yet another short film TP video after all these years.. who would have though..? Personally I though those days were long gone, but since TP is a master of penning songs that lend themselves so beautifully to/as short film type videos.. I always thought many of the recent era songs would have been great for such purpose.. Just imagine the likes of Trip To Pirate´s Cove, Down South, Crystal River or so many of them songs.. still the habit of videos largely faded in the 90s it seems.. I like the straight up - live in studio photage type promo videos too, but they are not quite the same. Love this, thanks for sharing!! 

While this video is powerful it is not how I pictured the story in this song so I didn't really care for it. Maybe I need to watch it again but I don't think I want to.  I only saw sorrow and not the release of a burden on a person's heart and soul as I imagined. 😐  It left me feeling sad.