Thanks very much for sharing Susan! :)

Excellent set list I have to say. 22 songs is a positive surprise too...there were 17 songs on their last April 29th 2008 show at The Troubadour (according to setlist fm) Four or five more songs than I expected them to do anyway. 

Interesting fact: First four songs in the set list are the same and in the same order as the above Troubadour show in 2008.

Queen Of The Go Go Girls, Oh Maria, June Apple were not played this time around from the first album.

The only song not played from the new album was Beautiful Blue which is interesting, on a side note, I think I discovered why i'm not fully liking Beautiful Blue and it's what I see as a weaker chorus in comparison to the very strong and evocative verses.

Benmont got to sing two songs by the looks of things! 

I'm going to throw a wild card in here and say I hope that 'Louisiana Rain' gets played at least once during the tour....the original country tinged version that Tom cut in the studio during the short ''solo career'' recording period post Mudcrutch break up and pre Heartbreaker formation as it appeared in the Playback boxset, not the Dam The Torpedos album version. That would be awesome to hear!

Thanks so much, Susan!!! I looked for a setlist/review/YouTube clip, but so far cannot find any.

Interesting that the first four songs are the same as in 2008. I was sure they were going to open with "Trailer" or "Beautiful World," but what do I know? :rolleyes:

Tell Ratcub that I, for one, would love to hear his comments about the show (or if it's OK for you to repost them here). That venue is such a wonderful place to see them...so intimate!

Thanks Susan!

Wow.. that is one cool set! All key tracks are there, save perhaps Beautiful Blue as mentioned.

I agree, the set is actually a few songs longer than expected and that is great, of course. Let's see if they will keep that 20+ songs approach up moving on. Hopefully they do.

They seem indeed focused on their album tracks, which - considering these are the major bulk of them - perhaps suggests this is more or less how the tour is gonna go. If they rotate in say Beautiful Blue or Oh Maria, well all the better then, but time will tell. I was perhaps hoping to get some nice bootleg recording of a rare and/or groovy cover or two down the line, so here's to hoping they'll throw a few in down the line. Not that the studio recorded covers from first album isn't great, but still..  The encore, in a sense being old news, could perhaps benefit from some freshening up? "The Highschool Twins" are patented to work well and are fun back to back.. eh.. but there are lots of possible songs in my mind, as I'm sure there are in theirs. 

Aside from that, I am very impressed by this and sooo jealous of all of you who got to see and hear this. I'm sure it was fantastic! Please share impressions if you like.

21 hours ago, dollardime said:

The only song not played from the new album was Beautiful Blue which is interesting, on a side note, I think I discovered why i'm not fully liking Beautiful Blue and it's what I see as a weaker chorus in comparison to the very strong and evocative verses.

Well. I too have noticed this being the case, as I think I have mentioned. To me that is really a minor point of concern though. The song does grow with time, and besides.. the structure of it and the possibilities to work it out with a live arrangements, solos, jams and so on, suggests the comparatively "weak" chorus should not at all be a concern or a reason not to play it live. More likely it's a concern of theirs not to line up too many slower songs in one set, and if we are lucky BB will get its' chance one of these nights, perhaps temporarily switching spots with some of the other slower songs.

Here are ratcub's comments on opening night. He also went to the second night's show, but as of yet, hasn't posted the setlist.

"Very respectful audience. No on was chatting. Seated show, but I had to get up and to stand at the back wall for a few songs to dance! 
There was a silent auction with a items signed by various artists. I dropped out of the band signed "From Northridge with Love" poster when I asked another bidder " if I skip to the bottom of the bid sheet and write in $1200, will you write in $1300?" And she did. so Midnight Mission received some good donations. 
One beer/wine stand in the venue. I bought two beers and then was informed couldn't take into performance hall. By the time I found that out there was a very long beverage line. A (I''m thinking a security manager) gentleman told me I could purchase a spill-proof tumbler, and then could take drinks in. I looked at the line and thought I'd just finish before the 9:00 start time. He said "give me the $5 and I'll get you one"!! 
I Very much like the Setlist that I imagine won't change much during the tour. I was able to walk to front of stage for encore, asked for a Setlist, but the stage hands kept 'em taped to floor (I assume for tonight). 
I enjoyed hearing the different voices singing songs. And TP telling audience a bit about being high school buddies, writing songs that he didn't want to show the band, listening to the Byrds snd wanting to sing one of their songs. Sound was supperb. My seat was on Tom Leadons side, and when I stood at the top, back corner while dancing the sound was just a little fuller. 
Herb Paterson? Was also on stage strumming guitar (stood to TL's left). I can't remember Herb? picking any leads; I'll need to pay closer attention this evening. 
After the show, the Setlist was posted at the soundboard, so was able to take a snapshot of it. And there was one encore song not played. Maybe tonight? But High School Confidential is a really good way to end the show. 
I ran into some old TP friends. So stayed to visit til we we're "kicked out"
I'm really glad I'm here for these shows. I imagine the stand up GA shows might be a bit rowdier. No one was vaping, or trying to sneak a puff. And I didn't notice people leaving thier seats for beverages or pee breaks. Everyone wanted to hear the music. 
Had to be very discreet having a parking lot pre-show beer using a Starbucks coffee cup. Looking forward to tonight and future shows on this tour!" 

3 hours ago, SingsInFrench said:

Ah, I didn't notice before, but of course, "Rockin' at the High School Hop" is not a song title, but lyrics to "High School Confidential."

Thanks for clarifying that! For a while there, I thought I had lost my mind (I was sure both of those referred to the same song), haha.

Wonderful to read Ratcub's comments! I'm so happy for everyone who was able to be there.

7 hours ago, SingsInFrench said:

Ah, I didn't notice before, but of course, "Rockin' at the High School Hop" is not a song title, but lyrics to "High School Confidential." Only one encore played. There was another on the setlist, "Rainy Day Women," but that was not played.

Yes, that figures re: Highschool Confidential then. Didn't mean to be sarcastic in prev post. Didn't know what to make of it, so thanks for clarifying. However, the other song they had in mind being being Rainy Day Women doesn't exactly make me roll over from joy though.. Just like HC, it seems rather obvious, and frankly not that exciting at all. But ok, this was the first show.. who can blame them for focusing on getting the originals right. (Then again, if they didn't have enough "time" to "rehearse" anything new in terms of covers.. at least then they could dig up the likes of Great Balls of Fire or something like that, almost playing itself.. Good closer too. Forgive me though, for thinking that they would rip it with something like The Weight or My Back Pages.)

Another thing.. I would like to hear more about how Randall and Mike delivered their vocals. This being premiere for them and all.

On May 25, 2016 at 8:40 AM, BiggestPettyFanInOz said:

actual recount of the songs would be nice anyone who attends? its all about the songs and if there were improvisations or changes to what is on the records, etc

Has anyone who's been to the shows post here? Any details on the concerts would be appreciated. I could see some songs being extended, like Victim of Circumstance while others have minor embellishments or are played pretty similar to the records....

cheers

2 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I'm going to steer this off topic for a moment, but did you catch any of the Pj shows or are going to any later this year, Petty Vedder?

Did you ever catch Eddie with Tom and the Heartbreakers?

cheers

Going to both Fenway shows.  No others in 16 however watch most on periscope/ read set lists and reviews fairly religiously. Fenway 2 will be my 30th show 

I don't think they will be playing any Heartbreaker songs at a Mudcrutch show and I hope nobody will expect them to do so!  It's a Mudcrutch show and that is really, really special!  Man, if I were going to a show I would eat that up!  You may not get another chance!  There will be lots on TPATH shows in the future but Mudcrutch?  Savor it!  Just savor it!  Mudcrutch all the way!